• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I may never get to Santiago!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Still fine tuning my Camino plans, trying to iron out all those wrinkles where I am walking four days and more in the wrong direction. That bit is now looking pretty good. Then I just had to open my favorite guide to the Camino: "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook" Gitlitz and Davidson. The "handbook" weighs in at a hefty 550 grams and is a treasure chest for hidden gems along the Camino-churches which otherwise would be passed by, history of many towns and cities, art tucked away in the most unlikely places, and it is always with me-and looks accordingly!

Passing Pamplona – almost – Cizur Menor and Roncal right there in front of you? No! Hang a right turn to the North East for Gazólaz. Only two k off Camino but we find
upload_2015-8-4_8-53-13.png

Oh Dear!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you mspath but I am a confirmed eltronicophobe even resisting the demands from the home front for a cell phone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Scruffy1 - At your recommendation, when I met you and intersected with you for several days in May2011, I bought the Gitlitz and Davidson book and I really enjoy reading it. Last year I downloaded the Kindle version on my iPadMini and have taken it with me on my last two Camino Frances walks so that each night I can read about the towns and their history that I will encounter the next day. This has made the walk so much more meaningful. I love that book!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Scruffy1 - At your recommendation, when I met you and intersected with you for several days in May2011, I bought the Gitlitz and Davidson book and I really enjoy reading it. Last year I downloaded the Kindle version on my iPadMini and have taken it with me on my last two Camino Frances walks so that each night I can read about the towns and their history that I will encounter the next day. This has made the walk so much more meaningful. I love that book!
Very happy to hear that! To me books are such a joy and comfort, something say a bit of plastic with flashing lights can never achieve. Old fashioned? Out of step with the times? Perhaps, but so is walking 776.2 kilometers at this part of the 21st century.

Friend Gerald,

The Better Half has raised this issue, again, so as my 70th approaches, no not that close but I'm working on it, as my 70th approaches I may consider a change. My dislike of all things synthetic, oh dear here we go again, will continue to lead the way. Can we imagine the Scruff in say beige linen or white flannel? A Panama hat to finish off the Caribbean planter image - perhaps a cigar? No, I can't either.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I carried my iPad the entire way just to have the book with me. Best ever!

Second that! It contributed to our slightly longer Camino but not weight as I accessed it on my multitasking iPhone and made me regret not allowing even more time.

Thanks Scruffy1

Second that! It contributed to our slightly longer Camino but not weight as I accessed it on my multitasking iPhone and made me regret not allowing even more time.

Thanks Scruffy1
Then you wonder why people open this forum every day!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love the Luddites who are addicted to this forum. Long live their wonderful contrariness.

I love the Luddites who are addicted to this forum. Long live their wonderful contrariness.
With apologies to J. Baez and Earl Robinson

I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night,
Alive as you or me
Says I, "But Joe, you're ten years dead",
"We Luddites never died," says he.
"We Luddites never died," says he.

Friend Gerald,

The Better Half has raised this issue, again, so as my 70th approaches, no not that close but I'm working on it, as my 70th approaches I may consider a change. My dislike of all things synthetic, oh dear here we go again, will continue to lead the way. Can we imagine the Scruff in say beige linen or white flannel? A Panama hat to finish off the Caribbean planter image - perhaps a cigar? No, I can't either.
I can, I can see it. You and Hemingway, wandering the streets of Pamplona. Suave, debonair.
Can I come? Can I please!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can, I can see it. You and Hemingway, wandering the streets of Pamplona. Suave, debonair.
Can I come? Can I please!
Buy the first round and I'm ready for anything!

Did you find the iPad mini useful, marylynn? I've decided to take mine so that I can access this book and some others including the German 'yellow book', which has recently become available as an e-book - perfect timing for me! I'll always love 'real' books best, but this is a good practical choice for the Camino. I'm also planning to use the iPad mini as a camera, so it more than justifies itself on the grounds of weight saved.

Thank you mspath but I am a confirmed eltronicophobe even resisting the demands from the home front for a cell phone.
allo, allo - I too do not own a mobile phone, I was forced to use one for my last assignment job, when the supervisor heard I did not own a mobile, she almost had a mickey - "what, however do you survive", well, clearly I do survive and hopefully thrive without the dangers of getting my brain fried, however, of course I still have wireless in this house and that is just as much a possible danger to my health..
yes, so more power to you mister, mr. scruffy1..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
wendyrose, post: 331313, member: 21556"]Did you find the iPad mini useful, marylynn? I've decided to take mine so that I can access this book and some others including the German 'yellow book', which has recently become available as an e-book - perfect timing for me! I'll always love 'real' books best, but this is a good practical choice for the Camino. I'm also planning to use the iPad mini as a camera, so it more than justifies itself on the grounds of weight saved.

My iPadMini was very useful. I took it on the Camino in Sept/Oct2014 and this summer in June&July. The Mini itself is not heavy but I had a sturdy case to protect it while in my pack and in my hands, and that adds weight. This year I bought a Logitech keyboard/case and now it is very useful because typing emails is a breeze and the case itself is sturdy. I also used it to access the Gitlitz book, but otherwise I don't read or listen to music on the Camino. I took a paper printout of the full Camino Frances guide from CaminoGuide.net (which is also available now as an efile) because I didn't want to rely on technology for that. Between the Gitlitz ebook and the basic up-to-date paper guide, I had everything I needed.

The mini was also very useful last fall when my battery charger failed, as well as the Spanish one I bought as a replacement, so I packed away my camera and used the iPad camera. The photos were great with good resolution and file size, and I learned to use it without dropping it! It also forced me to be more selective about what and how much I photographed. It was very easy to write an email and insert a photo or two, then send it later when wifi was available. It seems that computers in albergues have almost completely disappeared in the past two years on the Camino Frances and wifi was rarely available in the Albergues on the Arles/Aragones Camino in 2013, so I will always take my iPadMini with me. It has served me well!

Enjoy your Camino!!

wendyrose, post: 331313, member: 21556"]Did you find the iPad mini useful, marylynn? I've decided to take mine so that I can access this book and some others including the German 'yellow book', which has recently become available as an e-book - perfect timing for me! I'll always love 'real' books best, but this is a good practical choice for the Camino. I'm also planning to use the iPad mini as a camera, so it more than justifies itself on the grounds of weight saved.

My iPadMini was very useful. I took it on the Camino in Sept/Oct2014 and this summer in June&July. The Mini itself is not heavy but I had a sturdy case to protect it while in my pack and in my hands, and that adds weight. This year I bought a Logitech keyboard/case and now it is very useful because typing emails is a breeze and the case itself is sturdy. I also used it to access the Gitlitz book, but otherwise I don't read or listen to music on the Camino. I took a paper printout of the full Camino Frances guide from CaminoGuide.net (which is also available now as an efile) because I didn't want to rely on technology for that. Between the Gitlitz ebook and the basic up-to-date paper guide, I had everything I needed.

The mini was also very useful last fall when my battery charger failed, as well as the Spanish one I bought as a replacement, so I packed away my camera and used the iPad camera. The photos were great with good resolution and file size, and I learned to use it without dropping it! It also forced me to be more selective about what and how much I photographed. It was very easy to write an email and insert a photo or two, then send it later when wifi was available. It seems that computers in albergues have almost completely disappeared in the past two years on the Camino Frances and wifi was rarely available in the Albergues on the Arles/Aragones Camino in 2013, so I will always take my iPadMini with me. It has served me well!

Enjoy your Camino!!

Thank you for your detailed reply marylynn, that's all very helpful. I agree with your idea of not relying on technology too much. I've been thinking of taking the Brierley guidebook to refer to while walking if needed, but will have a look at CaminoGuide.net first.
Thanks again!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back