• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I miss my boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some may find it stupid. But i see a lot of garbage round the trail. Im sure someday my shoes are gone. I dont throw or burn them. They just standing there. Sorry if i offended Some people. But they worn off and i carried them for three days. Some pelgrim gave me that advice So i Loose weight. Thats Why i leave it there.

I have binned a dozen so far in about that many years! Some shirts, socks, jackets, and packs, too.
My nice, North Face brand fleece pullover fell off the back of my pack on one Camino. I did not know it was missing until hours later. It was a sort of olive color. I hope someone is enjoying it, lol. It was too nice to be binned.
The worn out stuff left on the Camino. like shoes and boots? Bin them please. Honestly, nobody cares about a pair of worn out footwear or the cliche of leaving them somewhere displayed.

Yes, there is a lot of garbage on the trail. That is not a reason to leave even more garbage.

Reducing your weight is a good thing, but littering the landscape is not a good thing - put garbage in a proper receptacle.

Leaving garbage on the trail for others to clean up is immature. Many people spend much time disposing the trash that others have left.

Some may find it stupid. But i see a lot of garbage round the trail. Im sure someday my shoes are gone. I dont throw or burn them. They just standing there. Sorry if i offended Some people. But they worn off and i carried them for three days. Some pelgrim gave me that advice So i Loose weight. Thats Why i leave it there.

It is still litter.

Hi Chris .
You don’t leave what ever you want to loose on the Camino or some where else .
When you want to didge them do it the wright way . Period No discusion .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Discarding footwear (or anything) along the Camino path(s) is wrong, but this thread (me included) did beat up on the OP a bit too harshly. Sorry mate.

Gently pilgrims please, and thank you to those who have tried to understand or express empathy with the OP. Veterans, Ditch Pigs, and those for whom a balsa descarga is part of their Camino kit are of course entitled to express their righteous rage. But the OP was an innocent abroad, and he misses his good friends that got him that far if no further. Perhaps a lesson to us all to listen less to the opinions of those we pass along the Way and look closer to our hearts and strive to do that which is right rather than fashionable or expedient.

Picking unspeakable shite out of various locations on my own ditch pig ventures may have coloured my vision but it hasn't obscured my first view of that bewildering world 'the Camino'.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gently pilgrims please, and thank you to those who have tried to understand or express empathy with the OP. Veterans, Ditch Pigs, and those for whom a balsa descarga is part of their Camino kit are of course entitled to express their righteous rage. But the OP was an innocent abroad, and he misses his good friends that got him that far if no further. Perhaps a lesson to us all to listen less to the opinions of those we pass along the Way and look closer to our hearts and strive to do that which is right rather than fashionable or expedient.

Picking unspeakable shite out of various locations on my own ditch pig ventures may have coloured my vision but it hasn't obscured my first view of that bewildering world 'the Camino'.

@Tincatinker
My words were somewhat harsh and I accept the reprimand. I was blessed with a father who taught his children respect for public space at an early age. I have been picking up after others ever since, if sometimes somewhat grumpily. I hold to my offer to pick up those boots, or the next pair of boots that I see abandoned on the Camino, and carry them to their proper place of disposal.
Mary Louise

But Chris, my shoes were also worn on my first camino and I bought a new pair. I BINNED mine. Of course they meant a lot to me but since I wasn't prepared to carry them home, I disposed of them.....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Albertagirl I meant no criticism of you or anyone else, gentle or fierce. And thank you for being a 'ditch pig', grumpy ditch pigs still wear their badge with pride :0)
Out of curiosity, how many discarded boots would you find when cleaning up?

Not as many boots as soiled clothing, piles of human manure behind rest shelters and spent cans and bottles. It is truly disgusting to dig up the crap behind the shelter at Alto Mostelares just after the climb from Castrojeriz and some of other rest stops in the Meseta.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In addition to the complaints about litter, I'd like to add my disapproval of the many pilgrims who collectively trampled many square meters meters of a farmer's crops to make their caminos a mere fifty paces shorter at a corner in Navarra. And those who stole a few dozen distance markers in Galicia.

Last edited:
In addition to the complaints about litter, I'd like to add my disapproval of the many pilgrims who collectively many square meters meters of a farmer's crops to make their caminos a mere fifty paces shorter at a corner in Navarra. And thosee who stole a few dozen distance markers in Galicia.

I dont understand that either. I often do the Oxfam Trailwalk event, its 100km all terrain event. For some inexplicable reason, some people steal the markers, especially the last 20kms. They are placed every km, and serve to let you know you are still on track and how far you have come.
As 100kms takes a long time to walk, around 24 hours for me. it works out that the ones you need the most in the dark of the night are often missing. By that stage it is really dark, you are tired, reliant on your head torch, and its easy to get lost. The trail winds through forests, beaches, and farmland, not on regular roads or paths for the most part.
We met a number of people who were dreadfully lost, having walked in a huge circle. They were Australian and had come to do the Oxfam. They added an additional 2-3 hours to their walk, I felt so sorry for them.
All because someone swiped the markers. Surely the marker thieves know it is a selfish, stupid act.
Apparently they have souvenir value.

Not as many boots as soiled clothing, piles of human manure behind rest shelters and spent cans and bottles. It is truly disgusting to dig up the crap behind the shelter at Alto Mostelares just after the climb from Castrojeriz and some of other rest stops in the Meseta.

I walked a lot slower than Don and only got to the top of the trail, collecting trash as I walked, after he and his team finished picking up all the "fun" stuff around the shelter at the top of the long climb. But, all he says is true. I was there.

Working as Ditch Pigs, at times we would just scratch our heads and wonder either: "WHERE did they find the energy?" (used condoms); or seriously...? (empty whisky or vodka bottles); or [and my favorite]... "you ARE kidding...right?" (a used laxative packet along the trail). Some of these finds provided a lot of comic relief to the six or seven of us, all Camino veterans.

But, the essential point is that there is still TOO much litter out there that we know comes from pilgrims. The best advice is still...PACK IT OUT! Carry it to the next proper trash bin and dispose of it there.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is truly disgusting to dig up the crap
Only the Juntas have the solution to this problem. They need to position and maintain portable toilets along the way. If they can plant trees (and let most of them die), they can provide minimum toilet facilities. The ten leave-no-trace Members on the Forum will not convince the 132,478 Spanish pilgrims last year to carry their feces to distant disposal facilities! ;)

Only the Juntas have the solution to this problem. They need to position and maintain portable toilets along the way. If they can plant trees (and let most of them die), they can provide minimum toilet facilities. The ten leave-no-trace Members on the Forum will not convince the 132,478 Spanish pilgrims last year to carry their feces to distant disposal facilities! ;)
On all the days I have been on the Camino, and that is over 150, I never had to shat outdoors, only piss, but even if I ever did shat outdoors no way would I ever carry a turd in my pocket (is that a turd in your pocket or are you happy to see me? :D ) for even 1/2 a kilometre. I have to draw the line there. I would just do what I have always done and that's bury it. Always did that on wilderness backpack trips and in the army whilst in the field.
I do agree it is rude and inexcusable to simply leave "it" on the ground and honestly I do not understand that behavior. I know somebody reading this had done that on the Camino as well as just plain littering, graffiti defacing, stealing kilometre markers, bag rustling at 5:00 am, gear on the floor strewn about etc. I know they'd never respond to this post, but I'm curious as to why? Why do it?

Why not carry poop bags, the kind you find in pet stores? When in civilization and I am walking my dogs, I always use them and carry their contents to the next trash can. Strategically places bag dispensers would be cheaper than Porta Potties. Have not yet walked the Camino (I am up for late Sept. thruOct), itjyst makes common sense to clean up after yourself.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know why individuals do what they do (unless they tell me). But perhaps the camino is a very foreign space for many pilgrims. How do you live when when you do not have your private space and many of the usual comforts and facilities are absent, or not always available? Military veterans and back-country hikers know answers to this question, but many of the multitude of walkers on the Spanish pilgrim routes apparently do not. If others leave their litter on the trails, this is apparently the thing to do. This forum tries to help educate them. A second possibility is that people are just selfish. We tell them, "It's your camino" and they think that justifies any behaviour, even in what is public space, which must be cared for if it is to continue to be usable.

But.... The distances are NOT long on the CF. unless you are a small child or an adult who has caught a 'stomach bug', there is absolutely no need to use the outdoors as a loo!!!! (Sorry for too much information but I mean 'pooing', not peeing' ) :)

Why not carry poop bags, the kind you find in pet stores? When in civilization and I am walking my dogs, I always use them and carry their contents to the next trash can. Strategically places bag dispensers would be cheaper than Porta Potties. Have not yet walked the Camino (I am up for late Sept. thruOct), itjyst makes common sense to clean up after yourself.
I've never owned dogs in a city environment where they needed to be walked in a public space, and I had to carry around their shat in a small bag, ha ha. Not knocking it, but just never done it. Always had dogs out in the country. No walks needed.
Honestly the shat bags would never work. Your average pilgrim is simply not going to use one. The concept of carrying around human fecal matter even for a short distance is not a natural concept and shocking to the senses, so to speak. Not only that, think of the concept of physically doing "it" into the bag, or moving "it" from the ground to the bag. Nope, not gonna happen.
The portable toilets would probably work to some degree, but would in short order, unless maintained every 2-3 days, become little homes of putrid hades with the flies and odors (especially in the summer months). Nobody will want to stand in, let alone sit in one even for a minute.
All I can say is God bless the "ditch pigs" and others who maintain the Camino paths.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On all the days I have been on the Camino, and that is over 150, I never had to shat outdoors, only piss, but even if I ever did shat outdoors no way would I ever carry a turd in my pocket (is that a turd in your pocket or are you happy to see me? :D ) for even 1/2 a kilometre. I have to draw the line there. I would just do what I have always done and that's bury it. Always did that on wilderness backpack trips and in the army whilst in the field.
I do agree it is rude and inexcusable to simply leave "it" on the ground and honestly I do not understand that behavior. I know somebody reading this had done that on the Camino as well as just plain littering, graffiti defacing, stealing kilometre markers, bag rustling at 5:00 am, gear on the floor strewn about etc. I know they'd never respond to this post, but I'm curious as to why? Why do it?

Absolutely. I have walked many thousands of km and only twice have I had to use the outdoors for an emergency. Both times I was ill, it happens! But even though it was on a path not walked by many (if any!) I went deep in the woods. And didn't leave the TP behind!!!! (It wasn't in Spain, btw).
No, I don't think there is any excuse.

This thread is full of crap......................................................................................................................................and old boots !!!!

Unfortunately and for the most part, all of this is preaching to the choir. Dealing with the litter issue, responsible defecation (for lack of a better term) and helping to keep the Camino clean generally is better dealt with before the Pilgrim reaches the Camino (or anywhere else). How do we reach them and educate them about their responsibilities prior to their departure? Forums like this one are great but, how many future Pilgrims access it? For the sponsor and for those of us that care, this seems like a problem that can be solved or, at least mitigated. Thoughts? Ideas?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Unfortunately and for the most part, all of this is preaching to the choir. Dealing with the litter issue, responsible defecation (for lack of a better term) and helping to keep the Camino clean generally is better dealt with before the Pilgrim reaches the Camino (or anywhere else). How do we reach them and educate them about their responsibilities prior to their departure? Forums like this one are great but, how many future Pilgrims access it? For the sponsor and for those of us that care, this seems like a problem that can be solved or, at least mitigated. Thoughts? Ideas?

Maybe they could print some basic pilgrim rules on the Credenciales?

Ok, I have learned a new perspective on this thread, too. I threw my (uncomfortable) shoes in a bin and did not leave them along the trail. However I was not *as* offended by boots that I occasionally saw "displayed" with flowers, etc. as I was by graffiti, clothing, litter and worse thoughtlessly left on the ground alongside the trail. I wasn't impressed by these human-made monuments, but it also didn't occur to me to see it as littering, as much as maybe a little sentimental. They said to me, "this footwear served me well as the fundamental article that allowed me to walk this far. I don't have the heart to throw them in the bin." (I happily threw mine away because they hurt.) Near Zubiri, I marveled at (and photographed) a pair of boots set on a marker that were completely covered with living moss. However I can understand now the perspective voiced by those who clean up the trails. But I'm sorry you felt the need to so repetitively scold Chris66.

More commonly I got annoyed by the constant need by many people to stack stones on top of markers, bases of crosses, etc. I, too, wonder why so many feel the need to mark their presence everywhere they go.

"this footwear served me well as the fundamental article that allowed me to walk this far. I don't have the heart to throw them in the bin."

Sometimes I've felt the same way about material objects. But you either have to have the heart to bin them, or you have to have the heart to carry them. Otherwise you might be seen as heartless.

I don't think posters or education will do much. We have the choir already doing the "right thing." There is likely a small portion of the non-choir who will realize the error of their ways and convert to the choir.

I expect the majority of the non-choir will stay non-choir. Nobody I know can see the toilet paper scattered on the trail and think "this is fine, this is OK." They already know, they are already educated that this isn't the right thing to do. Yet they do it.

Maybe the only solution is to hit the pilgrim where it really hurts - his pocket book. Require a sizable deposit (say $800 - $1000) when entering the trail, and then give back a refund (maybe $20) every time a poop bag is turned in at an albergue. A quick DNA test will confirm that the sample belongs to the owner and not some cow or horse. Monies left over (due to constipation, or leaving the trail early because of injuries) go to support the organized Ditch Pig cleanups.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I marveled at (and photographed) a pair of boots set on a marker that were completely covered with living moss

When someone does something like this, it can be cute. When several people do it, it seems boring and repetitive. And when lots of people do it, it becomes a nuisance, and it becomes the responsibility of someone else to deal with it.

Maybe the only solution is to hit the pilgrim where it really hurts - his pocket book. Require a sizable deposit (say $800 - $1000) when entering the trail, and then give back a refund (maybe $20) every time a poop bag is turned in at an albergue. A quick DNA test will confirm that the sample belongs to the owner and not some cow or horse. Monies left over (due to constipation or leaving the trail early because of injuries) go to support the organized Ditch Pig cleanups.

Haha, certainly a novel solution. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maybe the only solution is to hit the pilgrim where it really hurts - his pocket book. Require a sizable deposit (say $800 - $1000) when entering the trail, and then give back a refund (maybe $20) every time a poop bag is turned in at an albergue. A quick DNA test will confirm that the sample belongs to the owner and not some cow or horse. Monies left over (due to constipation, or leaving the trail early because of injuries) go to support the organized Ditch Pig cleanups.
That's a rather unrealistic solution, and I do assume you are being facetious.

......Maybe the only solution is to hit the pilgrim where it really hurts - his pocket book. Require a sizable deposit (say $800 - $1000) when entering the trail, and then give back a refund (maybe $20) every time a poop bag is turned in at an albergue. A quick DNA test will confirm that the sample belongs to the owner and not some cow or horse. Monies left over (due to constipation, or leaving the trail early because of injuries) go to support the organized Ditch Pig cleanups.

Nah, I'll pass. This smacks too much of punishing the innocent for the misdeeds of the do-bads. :)

I think I quite like the idea of having to make a deposit on the camino so that you can reclaim your deposit on the camino. I guess the only real challenge in administration will be how do the authorities deal with someone who deposits more than they have deposited?

Maybe we should stick to education....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sometimes I've felt the same way about material objects. But you either have to have the heart to bin them, or you have to have the heart to carry them. Otherwise you might be seen as heartless.

I don't think posters or education will do much. We have the choir already doing the "right thing." There is likely a small portion of the non-choir who will realize the error of their ways and convert to the choir.

I expect the majority of the non-choir will stay non-choir. Nobody I know can see the toilet paper scattered on the trail and think "this is fine, this is OK." They already know, they are already educated that this isn't the right thing to do. Yet they do it.

This would also be a big budget item for cash strapped pilgrims who are scraping together every dollar just for airfare.

I wish there could at least be a few posters in albergues along the way, discouraging litter and graffiti. I don't know that it would have any effect, but I've never seen it tried. I'm thinking even a photo with a way marker vandalized and litter around it and a sad face icon. I don't see any messages to this effect anywhere.

Yay! Discussion! When I walked last spring, I carried a “potty pack”, some TP, wet wipes and 4-5 “trail packs”. The Trail Packs were a zip lock bag with some TP in it. As a backpacker, I didn’t carry out the organic matter, I buried it. I always carried out the paper products in the zip lock bag. I never had to use a Trail Pack on the Camino but, I did give one to a Pilgrim in need with instructions on how to use it. To my dismay, they’d never thought of it. Let’s face it...it happens. So, how do we educate the average Pilgrim on how to minimize their impact on the Camino and the world in general? Thanks to all that clean up after the hordes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hope this isn't TMI or grosses anyone out. I don't use toilet paper. I walk well off the trail and find a remote spot. I use a smooth rock or large leaves if available) to wipe. I bury organic matter. I learned this a long time ago, backpacking. It really isn't difficult.

Wise words . . .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1519488718561.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519488718561.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 28
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But Chris, my shoes were also worn on my first camino and I bought a new pair. I BINNED mine. Of course they meant a lot to me but since I wasn't prepared to carry them home, I disposed of them.....
Right! It’s not so hard to find a bin for your garbage.Leaving boots aside the trail or on a stoop is just a ill considered statement that is regretted later. Stack some pebbles if you must

This forum tries to help educate them.
This forum can't educate them because they don't know it exists. And if even five percent of the pilgrims were to find it and register, Ivar's provider would raise the prices till he had to close down. And if he didn't close down and the site was able to handle the load, it would become as valuable as Facebook, i.e., NOT.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Are you serious ??? :D:D

After seeing all the disgusting evidence of people using the Camino as an open latrine I was so impressed with the trail side public toilets along the Kumano Kodo in Japan I took a photo!B0D3EA3A-ABBC-4764-90C4-1E7F418ED0F4.jpeg

€149,-
Really, people need to be aware it's not just about them. Leave no trace doesn't mean you have to carry it out, BURY IT. Keep our space clean.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I saw that sign near Samos as well, and would have photographed it had it not been raining. Love the angle of the arms, looks as though it may have been an urgent one

I guess they mean just not in that spot...?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, i didnt watched my topic anymore sinds every one is shouting the crapp out of me. I hope you all have a wonderfull and clean Camino... I am sure that all off you know how to behave on the Camino and you are all saints. It was wrong decision but it pissis me off what you see along the Camino... please dont react.. but you this or that..you dont this or that...This forum seems to be for the people who waits for this kind of mistakes. Do not say, i am sorry you feel that way.. Yeah, i feel that way.. buen Camino and peace to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back