• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I miss my Camino friends/family

Tumbleweed

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
I've been home 26 days and I miss my Camino friends and family soo much, I'm slipping into the Camino Blues. There is no one in my "real" life who understands or who can even begin to understand my Camino journey. My Spirit is so high that people at work are trying to deflate me. I just want to run back to the Camino.

First, I miss my forum friend Simeon the most. He and I had such an unexplainable connection and he helped me soo much during my prep and while I was walking. Wish he was here, I miss talking to him.

Even though I keep in touch by email and facebook, I miss Roel from Holland, my sunshine. Peter from Hungary, I miss his handsome face and our wonderful walkie talkie days. I miss my sisters Nel and Thea from Holland who truly loved me and held my hand through many miles. Then there are my Camino parents Sue and Randy from Canada. Funny Neal and Sean from Ireland and of course Edward, my darling from England. Handsome, off the wall Logan from Florida and last but not least, my beautiful Camino daughter/sister Megan from Rhode Island.

Also, many others who came in and out like sweet wind rolling over me and all my Camino Angels shinning brightly on me.

My spirit and heart ache because I miss them and the Camino so much. :(

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've been home 26 days and I miss my Camino friends and family soo much, I'm slipping deep into the Camino Blues. There is no one in my "real" life who understands or even cares to understand my Camino journey. People at work are trying to deflate me. I just want to run back to the Camino.

First, I miss my forum friend Simeon the most. He and I had such an unexplainable connection and he helped me soo much during my prep and while I was walking. Wish he was here, I miss talking to him.

Even though I keep in touch by email and facebook, I miss Roel from Holland, my sunshine. Peter from Hungary, I miss his handsome face and our wonderful walkie talkie days. I miss my sisters Nel and Thea from Holland who truly loved me and held my hand through many miles. Then there are my Camino parents Sue and Randy from Canada. Funny Neal and Sean from Ireland and of course Edward, my darling from England. Handsome, off the wall Logan from Florida and last but not least, my beautiful Camino daughter/sister Megan from Rhode Island.

Also, many others who came in and out like sweet wind rolling over me and all my Camino Angels shinning brightly on me.

My spirit and heart ache. :(

Tumbleweed,

It seems to me that with a post such as yours you should be singing as sweetly as the larks and as soothingly as angels for what you have found during your Camino.

Let not your spirit wane nor your heart ache any longer, the Camino awaits your return.

Buen next Camino.

I've been home 26 days and I miss my Camino friends and family soo much, I'm slipping deep into the Camino Blues. There is no one in my "real" life who understands or even cares to understand my Camino journey. People at work are trying to deflate me. I just want to run back to the Camino.

I know exactly how you feel tumbleweed. I've been home since October 5 and have been in a funk up until a week ago. I found the only solution to feel better for me was to start planning my next Camino. My blues have lifted a lot by doing this and it gives me hope again. I miss my Camino friends too, and yes we have Facebook and email, but nothing compares to walking for 8 hours a day with someone and sharing our deepest life experiences. I can relate to your feelings and so glad you shared. Take care.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, you came to the right place for understanding!! Almost EVERYBODY on this forum knows exactly the feeling because it is what draws us back to talk, share, re-live, plan, and just plain reminisce! Good News-Bad News: (Good) there is a cure; (BAD) the cure is to plan the next Camino! ;) Whether 2, 5, 20 years from now, do make a purpose to go back so that you can meet more wonderful people; plenty out there!

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I've been home 26 days and I miss my Camino friends and family soo much, I'm slipping deep into the Camino Blues.
Consider yourself lucky to know what it's like. Imagine all the people who are not lucky enough to know the feeling of longing back to it all. As someone else said: Start planning your next, and cherish your fantastic memories. To those planning to go for the first time: Do you feel the drag? ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Consider yourself lucky to know what it's like. Imagine all the people who are not lucky enough to know the feeling of longing back to it all. As someone else said: Start planning your next, and cherish your fantastic memories. To those planning to go for the first time: Do you feel the drag? ;)

Absolutely feel the drag.....daydreaming daily! :rolleyes:

Tumbleweed, Sorry to hear that folks at work "deflate" you.
I figured out a framework that accurately describes my post-Camino situation. I had an affair! All the symptoms are there. I am preoccupied, I longingly look at my photos, I want to talk about my "lover" to my best friends (husband too!!), etc., etc. This is how it feels. I fell in love and now I am planning to see my lover again fall 2014. Enjoy the feeling.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Absolutely feel the drag.....daydreaming daily! :rolleyes:
It will grow worse, in a good way.

Lean back and imagine: You walk early and see the sun rise in Spain. For your eyes only. You reach a little bar and enjoy a coffee (or beer). Stretch your feet. You reach your destination, and get a bed. You see new and exciting places and landscapes. You see many new things/places, and you shop for dinner. You make dinner for yourself or preferably with camino friends. You enjoy wine and laughs together with your new friends, go to sleep at 9-930, get up fresh next morning, and walk on. You do this for 20-40 days, and that is what your life is about. A new life. A good life. And many good people you would never know if you didn't walk. Some of them may become your best friends for the rest of your life; most likely.

Life is good. And simple.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
well, to me it sounds like you are missing out on today while pining for yesterday...
Ah, no Pieces....I am ever present in my life today and not missing out on making new memories right here at home. Although you may call it pining, I call it missing the wonderful people and places I was so blessed to take part in and that "yesterday" will be forever present in me as well.

I really don't consider myself "lucky" for experiencing the Camino. I consider myself truly blessed and I thank God everyday for the fantastic journey.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Lean back and imagine: You walk early and see the sun rise in Spain. For your eyes only. You reach a little bar and enjoy a coffee (or beer). Stretch your feet. You reach your destination, and get a bed. You see new and exciting places and landscapes. You see many new things/places, and you shop for dinner. You make dinner for yourself or preferably with camino friends. You enjoy wine and laughs together with your new friends, go to sleep at 9-930, get up fresh next morning, and walk on. You do this for 20-40 days, and that is what your life is about. A new life. A good life. And many good people you would never know if you didn't walk. Some of them may become your best friends for the rest of your life; most likely.

I love this reply alexwalker.....this is exactly what I find myself doing many times during the course of each day.....memories come totally unbidden into my conscious awareness and I find myself smiling and giving thanks for so many wonderful moments experienced during my walk....smiles.

I've been home 26 days and I miss my Camino friends and family soo much, I'm slipping into the Camino Blues. There is no one in my "real" life who understands or who can even begin to understand my Camino journey. My Spirit is so high that people at work are trying to deflate me. I just want to run back to the Camino.

My spirit and heart ache because I miss them and the Camino so much. :(
I know your feelings. I, too, miss my new friends and family from my Camino. It's so amazing that one can become so close to others in such a short time. I think it's because we're living in such a wonderful world of here and now when on the Camino. What someone does for a living, how much or little they own makes no difference when we're with each other on the journey.
My advice is to keep in contact with that wonderful person you met on the Camino (yourself!) and those others who made your journey so amazing. That is real life. Being in the moment, listening, seeing, feeling, smelling and tasting life! Live your life away from the Camino that way, each day and you'll begin to see how different and wonderful your life will be wherever you are. This is only a beginning...
Buen Camino, Pilgrim...

Hi Tumbleweed -

I read with interest your posts pre-Camino - your preparation - both physical and spiritual - was exceptional. To do that amount of work meant that you would always have an incredible Camino as you were going into it in totally the right spirit and with such a positive attitude - and you did. It's natural now that you're back home, where, for most of us, not much has changed, to experience all those feelings you have now - just let them flow by.

My 'prescription' for you is ...!
  • Keep posting on the Forum and keep enjoying all the threads.
  • If there's a Pilgrim Group anywhere near you, join that. 'The meetings will keep the Camino alive for you until you can be there once again' (quote courtesy of Norelle who posts on the Forum and who is a valued member of Pilgrims in Sydney, and I am quoting her for the second time in two days - her quote is so fabulous!).
  • If you have time, read the pilgrim blogs ... links on the Forum.
and finally,
  • Look at the world 'through Camino eyes' (quote courtesy of Janet Leitch, Chairperson, Australian Friends of the Camino)
Buen Camino in spirit, until you can be there again -

Jenny

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
hello tumbleweed,

we all miss our camino families. i hope you have their email addresses and keep in constant touch with each other. the friendship formed with your camino families is long lasting.

in the meantime, you and your camino families can start your plannings for the next camino.

god bless.

Hi Tumbleweed -

I read with interest your posts pre-Camino - your preparation - both physical and spiritual - was exceptional. To do that amount of work meant that you would always have an incredible Camino as you were going into it in totally the right spirit and with such a positive attitude - and you did. It's natural now that you're back home, where, for most of us, not much has changed, to experience all those feelings you have now - just let them flow by.

My 'prescription' for you is ...!
  • Keep posting on the Forum and keep enjoying all the threads.
  • If there's a Pilgrim Group anywhere near you, join that. 'The meetings will keep the Camino alive for you until you can be there once again' (quote courtesy of Norelle who posts on the Forum and who is a valued member of Pilgrims in Sydney, and I am quoting her for the second time in two days - her quote is so fabulous!).
  • If you have time, read the pilgrim blogs ... links on the Forum.
and finally,
  • Look at the world 'through Camino eyes' (quote courtesy of Janet Leitch, Chairperson, Australian Friends of the Camino)
Buen Camino in spirit, until you can be there again -

Jenny

How wise!

Well put, Alex. I wonder if I passed you (very slowly!) on my bike on the VdLP in June 2012.
Your last sentence rings true for me. I'm intending to look up a fellow pilgrim when I return to Spain in few weeks. We shared consecutive albergues in Banos and Fuenterroble, (he a walker, me on a bike; not a cyclist, just an old guy on a bike..... i'd walk if I could). The shared camino experience is unlike any other I know of.

I miss my friends but I am happy to have found them, I will be back in 3 months to find more friends, smiles and enjoy.
Peace be with you
Trevor

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've been back for about a month and a half and not a day has gone by where I haven't thought about those incredible people I met. I miss them all terribly. Maybe next year I can make a big tour of Europe and see them all again.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back