• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I Need a Hiking Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Former member 99534

Good afternoon from Florida, pilgrims,

I am looking for a buddy with whom to hike some or all of the Camino Francés. I have been planning my pilgrimage for over four months and now the trip is in jeopardy. My boss at work will not let me leave unless I have a buddy on the Camino. I plan to start at St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 13December2021 and finish in Santiago by New Year’s Eve (19 days, ~26 miles / day). Is anyone else planning to hike during or around this time? If so, please leave a message in this thread or send me a personal message if you would be so kind. I would like to make contact and get to know you so that I can tell my boss that I know someone on this blessed journey. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Yours in Christ,

Gabriel

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@unclesamsavage that is a seriously ambitious plan. StJpdP to Santiago in 19 days actually averages out at 26+ miles per day with no allowance for weather, injury or hangover.

That said I’m not sure what your plans have to do with your employer unless you are so crucial to their bottom-line that they would rather you didn’t ‘phone in dead.

If you are committed to a winter Camino within your timeframe consider starting from Burgos or even Leon. You might even meet a buddy somewhere down the road

@unclesamsavage that is a seriously ambitious plan. StJpdP to Santiago in 19 days actually averages out at 26+ miles per day with no allowance for weather, injury or hangover.

That said I’m not sure what your plans have to do with your employer unless you are so crucial to their bottom-line that they would rather you didn’t ‘phone in dead.

If you are committed to a winter Camino within your timeframe consider starting from Burgos or even Leon. You might even meet a buddy somewhere down the road
Thank you for your comments, sir. I am confident I can keep up with that pace or even exceed it during my allotted time. I am a trained distance runner and have quite a few years of hiking experience.

My safety is paramount to my employer. They have already made me do a hefty amount of paperwork to even have it looked at by my boss. I would like this post to be made public so that I can connect now with someone who plans to be on the Camino Francés around this time. The turnaround time in which I need an answer for my boss is very tight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I doubt that you'll find someone else wanting to commit to walking 26 miles/day for 19 days straight, in the winter. Besides, would your boss need to assess and approve any potential companion?
There is no need to commit to my entire timeline. There is also no need to screen a buddy of which I know. I would simply like to make contact with someone who will be hiking the Francés around this time and get to know one so I can assure my boss I have a buddy.

There is no need to commit to my entire timeline. There is also no need to screen a buddy of which I know. I would simply like to make contact with someone who will be hiking the Francés around this time and get to know one so I can assure my boss I have a buddy.
At the risk of causing offence, the traditional Cumbrian solution to such stipulations would be to lie.

If you were to find anyone in advance starting December 13th, you’re asking in the right place. There will be a small number - but still a number - of people starting in St Jean that day (and every day) so you’ll certainly not be on your own, but not many will be going at your planned pace.

You could look at applications such as ‘alert cops’ (an official Spanish Government app) which, amongst other useful features, allows designated parties to track your location.

The nature of your relationship with your employer is entirely a matter for you, but even the guy who knows the Irn Bru* recipe must be allowed to go on holiday somehow.

(*unfathomably popular Scottish carbonated drink; the recipe reportedly known only to a handful of people)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At the risk of causing offence, the traditional Cumbrian solution to such stipulations would be to lie.

If you were to find anyone in advance starting December 13th, you’re asking in the right place. There will be a small number - but still a number - of people starting in St Jean that day (and every day) so you’ll certainly not be on your own, but not many will be going at your planned pace.

You could look at applications such as ‘alert cops’ (an official Spanish Government app) which, amongst other useful features, allows designated parties to track your location.

The nature of your relationship with your employer is entirely a matter for you, but even the guy who knows the Irn Bru* recipe must be allowed to go on holiday somehow.

(*unfathomably popular Scottish carbonated drink; the recipe reportedly known only to a handful of people)
Thank you for your comments. I will tell my boss about the app and perhaps that would suffice in place of another person. Yet, I still hope someone making the journey during this time will be kind enough to send me a message.

The app is not working for me. It crashes when I try to validate my phone number. :^\

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I am looking for a buddy with whom to hike some or all of the Camino Francés. I have been planning my pilgrimage for over four months and now the trip is in jeopardy. My boss at work will not let me leave unless I have a buddy on the Camino. I plan to start at St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 13December2021 and finish in Santiago by New Year’s Eve (19 days, ~26 miles / day). Is anyone else planning to hike during or around this time? If so, please leave a message in this thread or send me a personal message if you would be so kind. I would like to make contact and get to know you so that I can tell my boss that I know someone on this blessed journey. Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Yours in Christ,

Gabriel
I think the issue you might have is finding someone else who wants to walk those very long days. Many of us take longer, walking shorter days.

Yours in Christ,

Gabriel
1.) I doubt you will find anyone wanting to do 25+miles/day for 19-20 days. I am not a candidate. Smell the roses instead.

2) What in the world does your employer has to do with your leisure time in Spain? Sounds crazy from the viewpoint of free countries and persons.

Go by yourself without restraints, and enjoy your freedom.

Yours in Christ,

Gabriel
Keep an eye on this thread with respect to ‘Alertcops’

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am by no means a long distance runner, but i am considererd a rather serious walker/hiker.
I averaged 28km / 17mi a day on my camino, and that already had the consequence that i had to leave many friends i met along the way behind. It would have been a lot more people, if i had not put in a rather generous amount of rest days.
Doing the whole thing in 19 days... yeah, it might me possible. Likely has been done before. But honestly, please reconsider. A lot of the magic of the camino is meeting and bonding with all kinds of people. Sine you want to do it in winter, the amount of "potential friends" will be significantly lower in the first place and doing a marathon distance for 19 consecutive days won't make building friendships any easier.

As for your initial question: sorry, can't help there but wish you the best of luck!

It’s great you are asking, but the odds are truly against you. Reports from some of the more major albergues are of less than 10 pilgrims a night, which will drop even further a month from now with less light and colder weather. There will be people walking, but it’s likely they will be few and far between (and not necessarially English speakers on this site!)

Remember that you will be dealing with snow and extremely shortened daylight (probably 7-8 hours). Your distances will depend on open albergues as many will be closed.

Good luck.

I am by no means a long distance runner, but i am considererd a rather serious walker/hiker.
I averaged 28km / 17mi a day on my camino, and that already had the consequence that i had to leave many friends i met along the way behind. It would have been a lot more people, if i had not put in a rather generous amount of rest days.
Doing the whole thing in 19 days... yeah, it might me possible. Likely has been done before. But honestly, please reconsider. A lot of the magic of the camino is meeting and bonding with all kinds of people. Sine you want to do it in winter, the amount of "potential friends" will be significantly lower in the first place and doing a marathon distance for 19 consecutive days won't make building friendships any easier.

As for your initial question: sorry, can't help there but wish you the best of luck!
These are very wise words. The winter in Northern Spain can be tough. Having walked many years, I have a bad feeling about your plans for December. Nasty surprises may show up.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1.) I doubt you will find anyone wanting to do 25+miles/day for 19-20 days. I am not a candidate. Smell the roses instead.

2) What in the world does your employer has to do with your leisure time in Spain? Sounds crazy from the viewpoint of free countries and persons.

Go by yourself without restraints, and enjoy your freedom.
I wish that were possible but not in my line of work. I may just have to wait until retirement to make the Camino a reality.

Thank you for your words of experience. I am not able to amend my itinerary at this point. This thread is mostly a desperate cry for someone who I can connect with before arriving. Otherwise, I won’t be able to go at all. The person does not have to go at my pace, again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It’s great you are asking, but the odds are truly against you. Reports from some of the more major albergues are of less than 10 pilgrims a night, which will drop even further a month from now with less light and colder weather. There will be people walking, but it’s likely they will be few and far between (and not necessarially English speakers on this site!)

Remember that you will be dealing with snow and extremely shortened daylight (probably 7-8 hours). Your distances will depend on open albergues as many will be closed.

Good luck.
Thank you for the advice and insight. I understand at this point it is a long shot, so to speak. Odds are I will take the time off and stay in the States to do a leg of the Appalachian Trail.

I believe you have a good reason for such a little unusual Camino. In addition to everything said above you may need to take snowshoes with you otherwise some parts of the track will be not passable. In winter 2018 I walked from Leon to Ponferrada, just for fun. In segments from Hospital de Orbigo to Astorga and from Rabanal de Camino to El Acebo there was a knee deep snow, so I had to bypass these stages taking car roads, what reduced the fun considerably…

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for your words of experience. I am not able to amend my itinerary at this point. This thread is mostly a desperate cry for someone who I can connect with before arriving. Otherwise, I won’t be able to go at all. The person does not have to go at my pace, again.
Please, honestly, consider taking a shorter trip. Not for the sake of finding a hiking buddy, but for the experience of the camino. Nothing is forcing you to start in SJPDP. You could start in Burgos, average around 30km a day, and still have a great camino. Even with my 28km a day, in hindsight, i sometimes regret "rushing" things.

Please, honestly, consider taking a shorter trip. Not for the sake of finding a hiking buddy, but for the experience of the camino. Nothing is forcing you to start in SJPDP. You could start in Burgos, average around 30km a day, and still have a great camino. Even with my 28km a day, in hindsight, i sometimes regret "rushing" things.
My mother is one of my primary candidates for a buddy. If she is able to take the time off work, we will have to take a shorter and hopefully spiritually richer Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know nothing of your personal circumstances (and so will say nothing about them), nor do any of us who have replied to your post, but we do know something of the camino. Firstly, Spain is not a hot country, at least not the north, not in winter. Like parts of the US (presumably where you are from), there can be extremes of climate and if you know anything about walking in cold conditions you probably know that adverse weather can slow you down at the best of times and it can be lethally treacherous at the worst. As any survival expert will tell you - you need to know when to turn back. Secondly, walking at 26 miles a day will mean that you are going to spend a lot of your time hurrying past some amazing things and places that are worth seeing, and you could regret that. Thirdly, if you really do walk that fast you are likely to part company with your buddy very shortly into the journey; 26 miles a day is a route march, not a pilgrimage. There are three things I find are done better slowly: eating, drinking and walking (and fell free to add a fourth). The best advice I can give you is to aim to walk half the distance you plan by either starting or finishing in Léon or Burgos. Anyway, buen camino.

Yours in Christ,

Gabriel
A couple of things Gabriel. Why does your boss have any say in what you do on your own time, and why are you planning a Camino with such a punishing timetable? The Camino is as much about the inner journey as the physical one. Be in the moment rather than rushing though it. In any case, I doubt you will find a walking partner willing to keep to such a schedule.

Hi @unclesamsavage, I wonder whether your boss has thought this through?

The majority of people who walk 500 miles from SJPP to Santiago are normal people who can't or don't want to walk more than 13-15 miles a day. When you find a buddy for your first day starting in SJPP, your buddy will stop in Roncesvalles while you walk on to Zubiri on the same day. You will be without your buddy for 50% of the time and you will need a new buddy for your day starting in Zubiri. And so on. You you will actually need 19 buddies.

Now here's the problem: While you will know exactly where you stop every day because you walk your 26 miles, your potential 18 other buddies for days 2-19 will not know beforehand where they will stay each day. Sometimes they walk less, sometimes more, sometimes they stop for a day or half a day. They cannot say already now in November where they will be on a certain day in December to arrange meeting with you. Did you discuss this with your boss?

Last edited:
I walked with my son and planned on walking about 15 miles/day in springtime. We ended up averaging about 20 miles/day-- but I felt that was rushed, and often we walked into the dusk. And more sadly, parted ways with pilgrims we had connected with sooner than I would have liked. We walked in three sections. First, we walked from Leon to Santiago, with a few days at the end to learn to know the city. (I know people who leave the day after they arrive! Which is just too fast.) -- The second time we walked, we began at St. Jean Pied de Port, but my son became ill and we stopped before Burgos. We rested and then took the train to Santiago. On our third go (two years later), we returned to Burgos, took a bus to where we had stopped and walked to Leon. --- I would have liked to have walked the whole stretch of the Frances at one go, but it wasn't possible because of commitments at home. -- I have walked by myself on Le Chemin in France for about 100 miles, I had thought I would be able to make about 20 miles/day. But the terrain from Le Puy to Conques was more challenging than I had expected, and without my son's encouragement, I walked more slowly. Also, even if I had walked further, there would have been a day to choose either a 10km walk or a 40 km walk to be able to have a place to sleep and eat. I know the Frances has more albergues, but they may be closed in the Winter during this pandemic time.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for your comments, sir. I am confident I can keep up with that pace or even exceed it during my allotted time. I am a trained distance runner and have quite a few years of hiking experience.

My safety is paramount to my employer. They have already made me do a hefty amount of paperwork to even have it looked at by my boss. I would like this post to be made public so that I can connect now with someone who plans to be on the Camino Francés around this time. The turnaround time in which I need an answer for my boss is very tight.
😊

😊 Buen Camino! Please keep us posted during your trek.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a former employee and as a boss I’m totally blown away that what you do in your free time is any business at all of your boss. Unless he’s paying you at the rate of an NBA All-star I would suggest standing up for yourself or finding another job—especially now that there is a labor shortage. It is reasonable for you and him to negotiate and work out WHEN you’ll take vacation time but other than that what you do WITH that time is not his concern. I’ve walked the Camino Frances twice and for me, doing it in 33-35 days is perfect. I met one man who was walking 40 km+ every day and he was fine. I guess it’s all about what are your goals for this Camino. And…except in the deepest of Winter, you’ll not be walking the CF alone but with hundreds and thousands of companions.

Good Luck Gabriel....seek and you shall find
There are many occupations which restrict outside activities and the ammount of time taken off in one go. Many posts on this thread are by members who do not have employment restricting the time they spend away from home.
You sound a much valued employee and know your abilities and limits.
It is YOUR camino. Good luck with your search.

Edit: The only specification that your employer makes in your original post is that you seek a buddy. That sounds like an employer concerned and looking after your welfare to me.

Last edited:
Not intending to sound offensive but maybe your camino experience will tell you something about the kind of relationship between you and your boss. You could as well run the camino exactly the way you and your boss have agreed upon. But there are chances that on the way there is something waiting for you that has the potential of being an eye-opener, if not a completely new mission. I whish you the best of all luck and take care! Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My experience of the Camino is that it's about the journey and not the destination. An opportunity to inwardly reflect and benefit from the mindfulness the Camino provides.
Whatever you choose, buen Camino.

Yours in Christ,

Gabriel
You don’t need a hiking buddy….just now…

Your potential life long friends from around the world will bee on path along you….

…..and you will find each other ….strike a chord somewhat and off you go….

There is a mantra ; “the Camino provides”

With lesser expectations it opens up even more…..

Ultreia🙏🏼!

Phdw

Yours in Christ,

Gabriel
🏑Phew! Very Ambitious! Extremely determined! Dec is the start of serious adverse weather ... But only The Almighty knows .. you may just smooth across the Napoleon route if not Valcarlos..
You may be getting upset with so many pilgrims giving you constructive advice..
I met a young Ozzie Kid who probably had the same physical and amazing attributes as you ... this was in May 2019.. his initial enthusiasm and zest made him cover 40km a day until he tore his calf muscle and was bedridden in Burgos for three weeks..
Regardless God Speed and Cuidate!!
Very Best Wishes and Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You don’t need a hiking buddy….just now…

Your potential life long friends from around the world will bee on path along you….

…..and you will find each other ….strike a chord somewhat and off you go….

There is a mantra ; “the Camino provides”

With lesser expectations it opens up even more…..

Ultreia🙏🏼!

Attachments

• 7F606718-F9BF-4E28-9CD5-613EC6DB0268.jpeg
    7F606718-F9BF-4E28-9CD5-613EC6DB0268.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 58

(*unfathomably popular Scottish carbonated drink; the recipe reportedly known only to a handful of people)Are you some kind of athlete that you contract such stipulations, or in the service? No matter…Dn’t lie…if you are going on a camino.
Have you calculated for snow? There is a very good chance you will encounter significant snow on your way to Roncevalles, Foncebadon/ Acebo, and OCebriero .

Might I guess you are military, “unclesam____? or a professional sportsman of some kind? It is very usually for a “boss” from the US to be able to place such constraints on an employee… lots of spouses do so, however😀!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
For goodness sake David, keep your voice down, my line manager might be reading this 😉
Exactly! not to sidetrack, let me throw in my tuppence worth: your boss is a person, we have no idea male or female, young or old, family or not. There are so many unknowns. What was your question, again? Oh yes. I am sorry, I have no plans to be walking around the time you will walk. Nor am I capable of the leagues you hope to cover. I am waiting, honestly, to hear/see you tell us that the Appalachian Trail will suffice for the moment. When you are free of the control of the boss, walk as many miles on a Camino as takes your fancy. One of the joys of this forum is that people generally try to be open minded (not like minded! that is not possible!) and try to go in through the door of the enquirer. I am sure you will appreciate that, from the kaleidoscope of responses you have received to date. whatever is the outcome, Buen Camino.

Hi @unclesamsavage, I wonder whether your boss has thought this through?

The majority of people who walk 500 miles from SJPP to Santiago are normal people who can't or don't want to walk more than 13-15 miles a day. When you find a buddy for your first day starting in SJPP, your buddy will stop in Roncesvalles while you walk on to Zubiri on the same day. You will be without your buddy for 50% of the time and you will need a new buddy for your day starting in Zubiri. And so on. You you will actually need 19 buddies.

Now here's the problem: While you will know exactly where you stop every day because you walk your 26 miles, your potential 18 other buddies for days 2-19 will not know beforehand where they will stay each day. Sometimes they walk less, sometimes more, sometimes they stop for a day or half a day. They cannot say already now in November where they will be on a certain day in December to arrange meeting with you. Did you discuss this with your boss?
Actually, if you plan on doing a CF you will have difficulty finding places to stays in between stages. All stages are shorter than 40km and you will have difficulty finding places to stay between the major towns at this time of years. Bring snacks and drinks between stages with you. You could easily go the entire stage and find nothing open. Verify all reservations the day before you go there.

Tell you boss what you do in your free time is none of their business.

€83,-
Dec is the start of serious adverse weather ... But only The Almighty knows .. you may just smooth across the Napoleon route if not Valcarlos..
No smoothing across the Napoleon route during the winter months from 1 November until 31 March! Strictly forbidden territory for pilgrims!! Forbidden by Spanish law!!! The Valcarlos route is the only option.

You and @unclesamsavage may not have known this until today but many of us on the forum know and presumably The Almighty knows, too. This has been the law since 2015.

Buen Camino to all those who walk in December from SJPP to Valcarlos, over the Ibañeta pass, to Roncesvalles and beyond. Meteoblue expects temperatures around freezing point from this Friday onwards and snow on the Valcarlos route. Gosh, they even expect lots of snow on the pass this Saturday and Sunday although the predictions are of course not yet very reliable. Oh, and the national Spanish weather office Aemet has currently issued yellow and orange severe weather warnings for parts of the Camino Frances because of nevadas above 1000-1200 m. Nevadas means snowfall.

Last edited:
Another option - quit your job, enjoy your life for a month or two; when you return, they can hire you back, or you can find a better position. The very idea of 'Camino' is to learn what is important in your life.
Buen Camino

No one on their death bed ever said, "I wish I had spent more time at the office".

Another thought, @unclesamsavage: Don't forget to pack clothing or accessories that help to make you more visible during the winter months. And you may have to slow down your speed from time to time. There was an article just today in one of the Spanish newspapers about pilgrims, fog in winter and having to cross the road several times near the town of Portomarín where you will walk through on the Camino Frances.

Fog.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't believe The Boss can dictate such a directive. I think Walking Away from your Boss maybe be a better move. You'll have several Buddies the Camino, you can bet on that.
Truthfully,,,26 miles a day,,,, not realistic,,, save your money before you attempt that goal.
The portugese Camino would be more adviseable in that time period.

Phdw

🏑Phew! Very Ambitious! Extremely determined! Dec is the start of serious adverse weather ... But only The Almighty knows .. you may just smooth across the Napoleon route if not Valcarlos..
You may be getting upset with so many pilgrims giving you constructive advice..
I met a young Ozzie Kid who probably had the same physical and amazing attributes as you ... this was in May 2019.. his initial enthusiasm and zest made him cover 40km a day until he tore his calf muscle and was bedridden in Burgos for three weeks..
Regardless God Speed and Cuidate!!
Very Best Wishes and Buen Camino!
I aslo met a young man in Burgos who ended up with a skin infection in his lower leg needing antibiotics and several days rest, much to his disappointment! It felt like a slap in the face as he was very athletic and young. The Dr. figured it was the rubbing of his socks due to his 40km days hiking leaving his skin prone to an infection. So just to reiterate that it's not just your physical health and stamina that can impact how far you walk. But best of luck to the OP!

I'm so curious and want to hear about this boss! What interests do they have if you have a hiking buddy or not? Are they very close and worried about you? Are you so valuable at work that they can't afford something happening to you?

Ha, so many questions. But anyway, been camino!

Hmmm.

Isn't 26 miles a marathon? So you plan to walk a marathon a day for 19 days in the cold and possible snow, up and down mountains?

The purpose of the Camino Frances is not an endurance test. It is an adventure to be cherished. Why are you convinced you cannot carve out 19 days to walk during better conditions? Is there something extra compelling you are not sharing?

Being a trained distance runner is not necessarily needed for success, since you can find 70 and 80 year olds on this forum who have successfully completed the route you plan. How heavy a winter backpack are you planning on carrying? You may not find accommodations during the Christmas and New Year's holidays, not to mention the usual closing of many albergues during the winter.

You are new here on the forum and, it seems this is your first Camino. Listen to the voices of experience. I personally would advise not doing what you plan to do. The Camino will always be there for you. Make it an experience to be savored, not regretted.

And don't drag your mother into it.

Interesting topic. Seems so out of the ordinary. I'm sure unclesamsavag had been following this forum before posting. With that in mind, unclesamsavag should know all about walking in the winter, average daily distances, albergues, etc... What can I say except, "Buen Camino."

Maybe your boss can pay for an security escort. Anyone one you find will likely have their own goals and aspirations and would not want to look out for your safety the whole way; that is a big ask.

No smoothing across the Napoleon route during the winter months from 1 November until 31 March! Strictly forbidden territory for pilgrims!! Forbidden by Spanish law!!! The Valcarlos route is the only option.

You and @unclesamsavage may not have known this until today but many of us on the forum know and presumably The Almighty knows, too. This has been the law since 2015.

Buen Camino to all those who walk in December from SJPP to Valcarlos, over the Ibañeta pass, to Roncesvalles and beyond. Meteoblue expects temperatures around freezing point from this Friday onwards and snow on the Valcarlos route. Gosh, they even expect lots of snow on the pass this Saturday and Sunday although the predictions are of course not yet very reliable. Oh, and the national Spanish weather office Aemet has currently issued yellow and orange severe weather warnings for parts of the Camino Frances because of nevadas above 1000-1200 m. Nevadas means snowfall.
On my first Camino, I started from SJPdP in late May. The Napoleon was closed due to bad weather (snow) and I had to walk the Valcarlos after having to cancel my reservation in Orrison. Surprise!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perhaps you need to persuade your boss that walking a Camino in Spain is safe. Comparing winter safety and ability to communicate electronically in Spain and in the Appalachian mountains the Camino wins. Several towns a day versus a town every several days is just a start.
That struck me too. What kind of boss insists on a buddy for someone walking the camino Francés but allows you to set off on the Appalachian trail in the depths of winter alone? A sadly ill-informed one, I imagine.

Maybe your boss can pay for an security escort. Anyone one you find will likely have their own goals and aspirations and would not want to look out for your safety the whole way; that is a big ask.
Great idea indeed! Of course all this boss-buddy mess + daily distances make little sense from the point of pilgrimage, but why not. It would be as simple as hiring a mountain guide.

Thank you for the advice and insight. I understand at this point it is a long shot, so to speak. Odds are I will take the time off and stay in the States to do a leg of the Appalachian Trail.
Why not do a leg of a Camino? It will still be there another year too the rest and it would give you the time and freedom to walk at a pace you can enjoy as well as appreciate your surroundings. I cannot understand the need to shoehorn the whole thing into the time available, seems to me to beasking for trouble and not much of a pleasure.

€149,-
We have ruled out the likelihood of finding anyone who will match OP's pace, and ahem - artificial contacts. What about real people with real contact info who are along the route? I'm thinking @ivar and @Rebekah Scott .
This ultra-trip needs careful planning. The OP should make reservations for every night before he starts, and appoint each host as a buddy.

For remote travel in Australia I use a Garmin In-Reach Mini.
It uses satellites to send/receive sms messages so you do not need to be in mobile phone coverage, it is small (not much bigger than a matchbox) and much cheaper than a satellite phone.
It has an emergency sms alarm to a monitored emergency centre, allows free-text sms to your contacts, and these messages include your exact GPS location each time.
This makes it more useful than an emergency PLB, as you can say all is well/I am leaving now/I am stopping here/I am running a bit late/.... and your friends can reply to these messages.

Perhaps this would alleviate the concerns of your boss?

[ It is also a GPS and has some other functions (basic maps, back tracking, weather). It can be used on it's own or blue-tooth paired to a mobile phone for easier texting. ]

For remote travel in Australia I use a Garmin In-Reach Mini.
It uses satellites to send/receive sms messages so you do not need to be in mobile phone coverage, it is small (not much bigger than a matchbox) and much cheaper than a satellite phone.
It has an emergency sms alarm to a monitored emergency centre, allows free-text sms to your contacts, and these messages include your exact GPS location each time.
This makes it more useful than an emergency PLB, as you can say all is well/I am leaving now/I am stopping here/I am running a bit late/.... and your friends can reply to these messages.

Perhaps this would alleviate the concerns of your boss?

[ It is also a GPS and has some other functions (basic maps, back tracking, weather). It can be used on it's own or blue-tooth paired to a mobile phone for easier texting. ]
Sounds like a tailor made buddy...

Yes. As I think there could be some hidden issues here, a kinder response to the OP might have been called for and more helpful by some of the respondents on this thread.
A GPS tracking system sounds perfect to me and is a good start.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I see that the OP has left the forums. I can't imagine why.
Yes, I see he has left permanently. It's quite sad really. He seemed a nice person, and definitely appeared to be ganged up on by many forum members who meant well to "help" as they see it, but he did not ask for those opinions on leaving his job permanently or that his boss is crazy. No one knows the dynamics of his relationship to that boss as it pertains to his livelihood, and we do not walk in his shoes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, I see he has left permanently. It's quite sad really. He seemed a nice person, and definitely appeared to be ganged up on by many forum members who meant well to "help" as they see it, but he did not ask for those opinions on leaving his job permanently or that his boss is crazy. No one knows the dynamics of his relationship to that boss as it pertains to his livelihood, and we do not walk in his shoes.
I am extremely sad to hear this. He needed some help and to connect. He only asked one question and got a lot of negative responses he didn't ask for.
Although I wouldn't disagree with many of the points made a more positive and understanding stance should have been made to this (now ex) member.
There was a need to read between the lines with his posts.
There are times I am disappointed with some of the members of this forum.
He needed protecting and have an arm or two put round his shoulder. He was young.

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more with @Camino Chrissy and @Bristle Boy. There was so much negativity even ridicule towards this person especially in relation to his or her employment situation which, while unusual, even unimaginable for most, was his or her reality. It was painful to read some of the comments. I contacted the OP by PM - i believe I wasn’t the only one, so at least that’s something. But to no avail. No surprise that this member has left the forum.

I do question whether the OP was genuine or not. Anyway, they have chosen not to stay around these parts so perhaps the Moderators should close the thread?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I do question whether the OP was genuine or not. Anyway, they have chosen not to stay around these parts so perhaps the Moderators should close the thread?
I hope they do!
I hope some of the respondents think long and hard. He wanted help and not advice on giving up his job or confronting s boss who showed more compassion than many members here.
Shame on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.