• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I need extreme sun protection. Suggestions welcome.

Jeb

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/Sept 2016
I plan to walk CF Sept 2016. I have Lupus....which means I don't tolerate sun exposure very well...so I need extreme protection. I am used to wearing lots of sunscreen (spf 100) and sun factor clothing and hats. I recent trip to Africa went very well and not a single day of too much exposure so I am not worried about the trip in general. I am not questioning if I should do the trip, just how can I best protect myself from the rays....and remain cool at the same time.

I am wondering what other solutions others have to protect against the sun. Not just simple things like "wear a hat" or "wear a long-sleeved shirt" but ideas that really protect.

And what kinds of sunscreen lotions work well? While I wear it daily (usually Neutragena Soft Touch) I also tend to sweat extremely easily. This combined with the exertion and heat of the walk, I imagine I will be reapplying very often. And that said....I hate wearing sunscreen. It makes me hotter. I would love to know if there's a solution to shade myself only and forego the lotions!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would think that aiming for a very reflective outer shirt (white) would help a bit.

Another consideration could be the time of year that you plan to leave. While you are thinking of earlier in September, waiting until just a bit later--or even aiming for early spring--might give you some cooler weather, which would help with the discomfort you feel with sun protection on.

Wayfarer's suggestion of an umbrella is something novel for you, I'm guessing. Aside from clothing, lotions, and controlling the environment via seasonal choice, I don't know of anything else.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't forget that you will be walking west all the time, so your left side will get a lot more sun than the right!

Last edited:
Several manufacturers make UVF-resistant fabric for hikers. I have often seen people wear them but I cannot testify to their effectiveness. As well, I have seen sun veils on broadbrim hats, making the wearer look a bit like a cross between a Tilley ad and a member of the Foreign Legion, but that might work to address the left-side phenomenon which Felice mentions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have worn gloves to keep the sun off my hands as using poles exposes them more. Lightweight merino probably most comfortable but I used cheapo thin fleece.

Definitely an umbrella. The first time I took one my daughter and I took turns using it on the meseta. The best! The next time, walking with my husband, he laughed. Now he takes one too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
how can I best protect myself from the rays....and remain cool at the same time.
Just do what you normally do. Your left side will get the most sun because the route is west! Buen camino!

Bare skin exposure to the sun is always a consideration of importance . For me it is my nose and face. I use several techniques that work for me . A swag or light scarf can cover your entire face and head if properly tied. Think Lawrence of Arabia . I don't use this method much unless I know I will not be around people , for obvious reasons. I also use zinc oxide ointment on my nose and cheeks . It is water proof and provides very good sun protection, and it does not rub off during activity. Some people use sun screen , I do not. Just my personal choice. They also make some very good buffs for sun protection as well. You may want to check out a local off shore sport fishing store in your area or on line. I hope this is helpful to you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
upf fabric shirt, wide bream hat sun block lotion and of course a hands free upf umbrella, have been using my for years works great

Zzotte

Sunproof clothing (Columbia has worked well for me).
Zinc cream.
Gloves.
Wide brim hat and have pegged a kitchen cloth (Chux) over front of face. Also took that a step further and made a apron to tie across over nose. Totally unfashionable but summer kayaking in Australia. The hats with the flap at the back are pretty good and even velcro around the face, but I found too hot in humidity.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This may be slightly off topic but I also have to wear a lot of sunscreen because of skin cancer. My dermatologist has recommended that I not use a "non-mineral" sunscreen, which in the US typically has the ingredient oxybenzone. Oxybenzone has been linked to a number of bad outcomes.

In Spain (and I assume in Europe) you can get mineral sunscreens, which for whatever reason are not available in the US. These are more expensive but if you're going to be lathering it all over yourself on a daily basis, the extra cost might be worth it. I use Avene, and another brand is LaRoche Posay.

There is a lot of info available on the web about this, of course, but one more fact-based source is here: http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/

So for the last ten years or so, I've been loading up on Avene for the trip home after my Camino! Buen camino, Laurie

another brand is LaRoche Posay

I love their sunscreen. I don't have any particular problems with sun, but got some of this in Paris because I just wanted a small tube and they sell a kind of starter kit with good sizes for carrying in the waist pockets of your pack. Expensive, but well worth it, especially if you can find the one that comes with apres sol, too.

I have worn gloves to keep the sun off my hands as using poles exposes them more. Lightweight merino probably most comfortable but I used cheapo thin fleece.
There are companies that produce gloves specially designed for sun protection (Google "Sun gloves"). My wife always wears them.

Other than that, I second the thought to pushing your trip later in fall or switching to an early spring walk. There is only so much protection possible against a hot sun while walking the Camino (where, outside of Galicia and the Pyrenees, shade is a rare treat). Better to go when it is less intense.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I agree with peregrino2000 la roche posay is a great cream, especially for sensitive skin, my daughter has skin problems & la roche is our first choice here.
On the other hand it needs re-applying & it sweats away. I personally have used Riemanns for the last 15 year's on both family holidays & while cycling/running in extreme heat, don't be put off by price or the fact that it seems oil based.
Apply 30-60 mins prior to sweating, it soaks in & u only apply once a day - it does not sweat out after first application if done correctly & still works after swimming. It's expensive & strong smelling when first applied but 1 bottle goes a long way & comes as Riemanns P15, P20, 30, 50 - I'm a milky white & P20 is perfect. I cannot recommend strongly enough.

Hi, I am Irish, fair skin, freckles, I even manage to get scalded in Ireland in the spring!!! One thing on my trip in May that I couldn't be without was an Under Armour running baseball cap, so light my head wasn't sweating so I found this great for protecting the face as well as factor of course. I think it's designed with a similar principle as Dri Fit maybe?! Normally I don't do hats cause I feel like a pressure cooker with one on in the heat!!!
That's just my twopence worth!
Buen Camino
Rita ;-)

I plan to walk CF Sept 2016. I have Lupus....which means I don't tolerate sun exposure very well...so I need extreme protection. I am used to wearing lots of sunscreen (spf 100) and sun factor clothing and hats. I recent trip to Africa went very well and not a single day of too much exposure so I am not worried about the trip in general. I am not questioning if I should do the trip, just how can I best protect myself from the rays....and remain cool at the same time.

I am wondering what other solutions others have to protect against the sun. Not just simple things like "wear a hat" or "wear a long-sleeved shirt" but ideas that really protect.

And what kinds of sunscreen lotions work well? While I wear it daily (usually Neutragena Soft Touch) I also tend to sweat extremely easily. This combined with the exertion and heat of the walk, I imagine I will be reapplying very often. And that said....I hate wearing sunscreen. It makes me hotter. I would love to know if there's a solution to shade myself only and forego the lotions!
I'm late coming to this discussion. On my Camino I took along a trekking umbrella with UV protection (it's made with a silvery fabric). It saved me when I was wilting during some unseasonably hot weather in April. Immediately as I put it up, there was a noticeable decrease in the temperature and I could even feel a cool breeze that was not noticeable before. My umbrella is quite heavy (1 lb. :eek:), but I understand there are lighter ones available now. One problem though, which some of us on the forum are wrestling with, is how to attach an umbrella to our pack's straps so our hands would be free to hold our poles.

Good luck, and Buen Camino. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a sunscreen called Vanicream. Our hematologist at Mayo Clinic recommended it as one of the best since it does not have all the junk in it and is very effective. After dealing with cancer and effects of chemo, it is important to have good protection.

• Dermatologist Recommended.
  • No Sensitizing Chemical Sunscreens
    -formulated with 6% zinc oxide and 3.4% titanium dioxide
  • Free of irritants found in ordinary sunscreens such as:
    – dyes
    – fragrance
    – masking fragrance
    – lanolin
    – parabens
    – formaldehyde
    – formaldehyde releasers
    – other preservatives
  • No PABA or oxybenzone
  • Non-comedogenic (does not cause blackheads)
  • Oil-free
  • Non-greasy
  • Odorless
  • Gluten-free

I forgot to mention, my other personal choice was a http://www.tilley.com/ Tilly Hat. A little pricey, but may be the last hat you will buy. I love mine. It worked with sun and rain. A couple Spanish friends I made thought I was was Australian or a cowboy, but they liked it as well.

There is a sunscreen called Vanicream. Our hematologist at Mayo Clinic recommended it as one of the best since it does not have all the junk in it and is very effective. After dealing with cancer and effects of chemo, it is important to have good protection.

• Dermatologist Recommended.
  • No Sensitizing Chemical Sunscreens
    -formulated with 6% zinc oxide and 3.4% titanium dioxide
  • Free of irritants found in ordinary sunscreens such as:
    – dyes
    – fragrance
    – masking fragrance
    – lanolin
    – parabens
    – formaldehyde
    – formaldehyde releasers
    – other preservatives
  • No PABA or oxybenzone
  • Non-comedogenic (does not cause blackheads)
  • Oil-free
  • Non-greasy
  • Odorless
  • Gluten-free
Thanks so much for this WldWil, it is very reasonably priced, too, at least in comparison to the fancy ones I buy in Spain. Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
upf fabric shirt, wide bream hat sun block lotion and of course a hands free upf umbrella, have been using my for years works great

Zzotte
Could you post a link to the handsfree upf umbrella you use please? Or the name of it? Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ivar sells a handsfree umbrella in his Camino Store. Here is a link: https://www.santiagodecompostela.me/products/swing-handsfree-trekking-umbrella

I have the one that Ivar sells, and I can tell you that the method of attachment is superior to the G4Free umbrella from Amazon. I've used it on several Caminos, and even when it has blown inside out from strong winds I have been able to revert it to normal.

I have had multiple skin cancers removed.
I just wore long sleeved shirts, trousers, never shorts, broad brimmed hat, bike gloves, sox and runners. I just carried an umbrella.
The only part uncovered was my face which I covered in sunscreen

Try this one, looks good!

The link is for a G4 standard sized umbrella which has two shock cords for attachment to the shoulder strap of a backpack. The G4 has mixed reviews and even some of the 5 star reviews have caveats.

The model sold by Ivar is telescopic so that the lower attachment point is on the waist belt and there are clips rather than cords. This appears to be a more robust arrangement. The reviews are generally more positive.

I have tried with another product just fixing to the shoulder strap and it did not perform well. Nowadays I just hold my umbrella.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The model sold by Ivar is telescopic so that the lower attachment point is on the waist belt and there are clips rather than cords. This appears to be a more robust arrangement. The reviews are generally more positive.

I have tried with another product just fixing to the shoulder strap and it did not perform well. Nowadays I just hold my umbrella.
The way that the Euroschirm umbrella that Ivar sells attaches is the most stable that I've seen. I've used it on several Caminos, and it never fails. I tried saving some weight by bringing a lighter umbrella of the sane brand that didn't have the long handle that attaches to the hip belt, and it was very wobbly. Eventually a not very strong wind broke a couple of its ribs.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.