• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I need help with a map

Old Kiwi

Time of past OR future Camino
I need help with a map. When I was planning for the CP for 2020 I spent a lot of time on the Forum looking for information. I downloaded a map from one of the threads that a member had on his post. It had a name something like "My Google Maps" This was a very good map that had all of the CP routes on it that followed exactly where they went through all of the towns and was the best map I had seen. When Covid raised its ugly head, I put all of my plans into a folder to go back to when the Camino opened again. Alas, somehow that folder has disappeared into thin air. I have spent many hours searching through the forum looking for that members post but can not find it. If anyone can help me with this, I will be much appreciative.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a KML file that I used with the Maps.me app of the routes in Portugal. I tried to upload it as a resource, but it wouldn't accept the file type. Maybe someone can help me figure out how to do that.
You can send me a private message if you want me to email it to you.

Alternatively, you can download the Windy Maps app. It shows all the Camino routes routes as a dark blue line.
Here's a screenshot of Vila do Conde that shows both the Coastal route and the connector between the Coastal and Central routes. Screenshot_20210530-070742_Windy Maps.jpg

Try browsing the threads tagged with "maps gps & tracks". Just click on the tag that now appears under the title of this thread.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I need help with a map. When I was planning for the CP for 2020 I spent a lot of time on the Forum looking for information. I downloaded a map from one of the threads that a member had on his post. It had a name something like "My Google Maps" This was a very good map that had all of the CP routes on it that followed exactly where they went through all of the towns and was the best map I had seen. When Covid raised its ugly head, I put all of my plans into a folder to go back to when the Camino opened again. Alas, somehow that folder has disappeared into thin air. I have spent many hours searching through the forum looking for that members post but can not find it. If anyone can help me with this, I will be much appreciative.
@David Tallan posted this link to a Google map of all Camino routes, it may be what you want

One of the problems that I find with the Search function on this site is that by default it brings up older posts rather than more recent posts when you search.

It is possible to use the Advanced Search function and this lets you manipulate the date range that you are searching within. That is what I needed to do to find this post for you.

I also think that this is why we often see new forum members posting on long dead threads.

The default search only presents a maximum of ten pages of results. That, in itself, is reasonable because it saves people from wading through huge amounts of stuff to find what they want and restricts the amount of computer resources used for search.

However, the results page doesn't tell you that it has only provided the first ten pages and so people think that they have everything. This is the problem.

@ivar probably has a search setting switch somewhere that would enable search to present the most recent 10 pages instead of the oldest. It is probably also possible to post a message with the results that lets people know that they have the first 10 pages and that they could search beyond these results if they wish.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use this one. It has occasionally taken me over walls and through the odd hedge but it is a great app and you can zoom in great detail and most importantly, use offline. You first need to install maps.me to your phone, then go to this site and load the files for the routes you want:

I have a KML file that I used with the Maps.me app of the routes in Portugal. I tried to upload it as a resource, but it wouldn't accept the file type. Maybe someone can help me figure out how to do that.
You can send me a private message if you want me to email it to you.

Alternatively, you can download the Windy Maps app. It shows all the Camino routes routes as a dark blue line.
Here's a screenshot of Vila do Conde that shows both the Coastal route and the connector between the Coastal and Central routes. View attachment 101962

Hi there! You can attach .KMZ files to Forum posts but not .KML ones - KMZs contain image information as well as raster and vector (don't worry about it!) and are slightly compressed. It's always better to share KMZ than KML.
The simplest way to convert it would be to open your KML file in Google Earth and then right click on the listing and "Save Place As" a KMZ file

1623066602747.png

If you don't use Google Earth send me the KML and I'll do it for you (my email address will be in a PM to you)

Stay safe!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you had a map compiled in GoogleMaps then it's more than likely a copy is sitting in your Google Drive.

Of course, if you really want to knock yourself out, there's this baby:

1623067587946.png

The trouble is that, as well as numerous duplications, all the routes have been given the same colour!

If you want a copy feel free to DM me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there! You can attach .KMZ files to Forum posts but not .KML ones - KMZs contain image information as well as raster and vector (don't worry about it!) and are slightly compressed. It's always better to share KMZ than KML.
The simplest way to convert it would be to open your KML file in Google Earth and then right click on the listing and "Save Place As" a KMZ file

View attachment 101979

If you don't use Google Earth send me the KML and I'll do it for you (my email address will be in a PM to you)

Stay safe!
A KMZ file is simply a "zipped" set of KML files. It is possible to unzip a KMZ file but it takes a bit more knowledge to use Zip to convert KML files to a KMZ.

A KMZ file is simply a "zipped" set of KML files. It is possible to unzip a KMZ file but it takes a bit more knowledge to use Zip to convert KML files to a KMZ.
Not quite - a KMZ contains the same raster and vector information as does a KML but can and usually does contain imagery, plus they can be much smaller - that beastie I posted an image of up above is 88.7Mb as a KML file but only 21.3Mb as KMZ.

Besides, with Google Earth, you don't need to be a computer or cartographic genius - let Google do the conversion for you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Kiwi,
I use Maps.me as it is good for offline use.
When I want to find Camino maps for Portugal I use Google to search for GPS files Dutch Confraternity Portugal

That brings up link on this forum to a wonderful resource prepared by Thomas1962. It includes more routes than you need, but that is unimportant. You download the correct format files and they are then easy to open in Maps.me. I can't remember exact steps - generally I have to re-learn them each time I dream of a Camino.
Keep well
Ena

Attachments

• Flannery's map of Portuguese Caminho routes V2.kmz
    565.1 KB · Views: 28
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used the portugese camino app on my phone and downloaded the offline maps. From there you can see a route and track where you are on the route. The app also has good information for planning although I'm not sure of lastest updates. Enjoy your camino

You can also just follow those yellow arrows. Much easier.
And when the yellow arrows are no longer yellow in colour (we are talking about the CP here after all) what do the "Daltonicos" like me do then? ;)

Sample conversation from our Caminho:

Friend: "I think we follow the green arrows over there!"
Me: "What green arrows? Over where?"
Friend walks over and taps stone with hiking pole.
Me: "Like I said, what green arrow? Where?"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"Map is in your mouth" is an expression I grew up with. It means to ask someone when you you don't see the yellow arrows. A couple of times I missed the arrows on the CF and went the wrong way, a local appeared and redirected me without me realizing I took the wrong turn.

Not quite - a KMZ contains the same raster and vector information as does a KML but can and usually does contain imagery, plus they can be much smaller - that beastie I posted an image of up above is 88.7Mb as a KML file but only 21.3Mb as KMZ.
See https://whatis.techtarget.com/fileformat/KMZ-Google-Earth-Saved-Working-Session-file

"KMZ is a file extension for a placemark file used by Google Earth. KMZ stands for Keyhole Markup language Zipped. It is a compressed version of a KML (Keyhole Markup Language) file."

"KMZ files can be opened by Google Earth, or unzipped with a compression utility, such as WinZip on Windows, MacZip for Macintosh users, and Zip and UnZip for UNIX systems."

A big thank you to all who have responded to my request, it is much appreciated. I am an old guy who does not have a cellphone and does everything on the computer. When all is planned I take a couple of sheets of paper with me with my plan and then follow the arrows (as suggested). I am now going to start working my way through all of this information. I am not very tech savvy but I will do my best.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Doughnut. A huge thank you to you. It was the David Tallan map that I wanted. I am so glad to get it back into my planning file. If I get my Covid inoculations sorted soon, I will be off to Portugal early September. I was originally going to start in Lisbon but the new plan is to start in Porto, follow the coastal route to Redondella and then bus back to Porto and then use the inland route to Santiago and then on to Festerra to finish at the 0.000 mark as usual.

You have three choices as I am sure you know well.
Wait for a pilgrim with a map or a gps and a PhD in Engineering or cartography or wait for a Spaniard and ask Este el Camino???? haha
And when the yellow arrows are no longer yellow in colour (we are talking about the CP here after all) what do the "Daltonicos" like me do then? ;)

Sample conversation from our Caminho:

Friend: "I think we follow the green arrows over there!"
Me: "What green arrows? Over where?"
Friend walks over and taps stone with hiking pole.
Me: "Like I said, what green arrow? Where?"P

You have three choices as I am sure you know well.
Wait for a pilgrim with a map or a gps and a PhD in Engineering or cartography or wait for a Spaniard and ask Este el Camino???? haha
If I'd have waited for a Spaniard to come along, on the Caminho Portugues, I'd probably still be sitting there! ;)

As it happened my trusty side-kick, Jo-Jo, was there to point the way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
See https://whatis.techtarget.com/fileformat/KMZ-Google-Earth-Saved-Working-Session-file

"KMZ is a file extension for a placemark file used by Google Earth. KMZ stands for Keyhole Markup language Zipped. It is a compressed version of a KML (Keyhole Markup Language) file."

"KMZ files can be opened by Google Earth, or unzipped with a compression utility, such as WinZip on Windows, MacZip for Macintosh users, and Zip and UnZip for UNIX systems."
I'll see your whatis.techtarget and raise you

KML overview

;)

the point I tried to make is the normal user doesn't have to "unzip" a KMZ file, they're not worried about the code behind the file, they just want a line on a map which Google Earth produces for you automatically.

Notwithstanding that, a KMZ stil holds more information and ought to be the format of choice in transmitting information which is why this Forum allows KMZ uploads and not KMLs.

Nga painga katoa ki a koe!

If I'd have waited for a Spaniard to come along, on the Caminho Portugues, I'd probably still be sitting there! ;)

As it happened my trusty side-kick, Jo-Jo, was there to point the way.
How about a Brasilian

Maybe you are looking for this file in the resources of this forum:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...racks-of-all-spanish-caminos-in-one-file.341/
and/or this one:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ks-of-all-portuguese-caminos-in-one-file.503/

All these tracks you can also see at this webpage, where you can zoom in and out en make printscreens if wanted:
https://www.santiago.nl/looproutes-in-europa/

Buen camino!
Thanks, these are indeed great resources and form the starting point of what @David Tallan has provided. David spent time adding Albergues and other points of interest to these maps so that they become even more valuable and has presented them in a form that can easily be combined with Google Maps. 🙏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This here is awesome Doug. I sent an email to myself with this link. What is the best way for me to save this in case in the future the link stop working so i don't lose it?
If you have already clicked the link once, you have Google Maps on your iPhone and you were signed into Google Maps when you clicked the link then you have already saved it.

I don't have an iPhone and so I have to assume that the iPhone version of Google Maps looks and works the same as Google Maps on my Android phone. If this is correct then:

- Open Google Maps
- On the bottom of your screen should be 5 menu items
- Click on the menu item that says "saved"
- Scroll right down past everything else on the screen and you should see another set of menus on the bottom of the screen
- Click on the one that says "maps"
This is where your saved maps are on Google Maps.

Hopefully you only have one saved map, I have lots of them.

I think that the last map that you saved is on the top if you have more than one. It should also have a name, something like Camino routes in Iberia.

Click on the saved map and it will open in Google Maps.

I hope the iPhone version is the same 🥝🐴 Good luck!

Last edited:
If you have already clicked the link once, you have Google Maps on your iPhone and you were signed into Google Maps when you clicked the link then you have already saved it.

I don't have an iPhone and so I have to assume that the iPhone version of Google Maps looks and works the same as Google Maps on my Android phone. If this is correct then:

- Open Google Maps
- On the bottom of your screen should be 4 menu items
- Click on the menu item that says "saved"
- Scroll right down past everything else on the screen and you should see another set of menus on the bottom of the screen
- Click on the one that says "maps"
This is where your saved maps are on Google Maps.

Hopefully you only have one saved map, I have lots of them.

I think that the last map that you saved is on the top if you have more than one. It should also have a name, something like Camino routes in Iberia.

Click on the saved map and it will open in Google Maps.

I hope the iPhone version is the same 🥝🐴 Good luck!
Thank you so much.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This here is awesome Doug. I sent an email to myself with this link. What is the best way for me to save this in case in the future the link stop working so i don't lose it?
I don't intend to take it down. :)

You might be able to download the data files I uploaded to create it and recreate one for yourself in your own My Maps.

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back