Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I need recommendation for a place in LUGO

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

try "cross hostel" (on booking.com) or the hostal "muralla romana". Both offer budget accomodation and are quite popular with pilgrims.

BC
Alexandra

A day in Lugo is a great idea. It's a lovely walk around the top of the Roman wall, and there are a couple of really interesting museums about Lugo's ancient history. And the food in Lugo is very well known ... not only do you get a free tapa with any drink, but most places actually offer you a choice of tapas from a small "free tapa" menu!

There is an albergue right in the old town too (I've not stayed there, so I don't know how it is).

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

The municipal is ok, the bedrooms are spacious, but there is no kitchen. A baker with nice empanadas and a good pilgrims menu in the Restaurant "O Barril" around the Corner. The "menu del día" was 10,00 € in June and included a starter, a main course and a homemade cake for desert as well as half a bottle of wine. I had "tosta de raxo" (roast bread with seasoned pork meat on it) as a starter, then "chipirones a la plancha" little fried squids and a choclate cake - it was delicious. They serve it both at lunchtime and in the evening from 19.30 onwards).

But if you want to stay another night in Lugo, the municipal is no option.

BC
Alexandra

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I liked the municipal in Lugo, and it has a great location in the centre of the old town. It closes at 10pm on the dot though, and we had to leg it back fast before we got locked out. The lights go off automatically at 10:05 and come back on at 7am (I think – I had my eye pad on and my ear plugs in).

We stayed 2 nights at The hotel Mendez Nunez which is inside the wall. We were upgraded to a very nice suite as soon we arrived and they welcomed us as pilgrims. Huge bathroom and a comfy bed. It was within about a 5 min walk from the cathedral and right around the block from all the nice restaurants. You can reserve through Booking.com

Last edited:
Stayed in Hostel Cross for 2 nights recently €15 per night. Spacious dorms, good privacy, no curfew, right in middle of tapas bar area. 1 night is probably enough to see Lugo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed two nights in Lugo at Hotel Espana. It is located just outside the city walls just a few steps from the entrance. Reasonably priced and our room had a view of the amazing walls.

A day in Lugo is a great idea. It's a lovely walk around the top of the Roman wall, and there are a couple of really interesting museums about Lugo's ancient history. And the food in Lugo is very well known ... not only do you get a free tapa with any drink, but most places actually offer you a choice of tapas from a small "free tapa" menu!

There is an albergue right in the old town too (I've not stayed there, so I don't know how it is).
do you think it will be enough only the day i arrive to lugo from o cadavo or another day is needed?

We stayed 3 nights in Lugo to have 2 days seeing the walls, museums, cathedral etc.
Another good pilgrim friendly place to stay is the Hotel Metropol on Calle Miguel Cervantes, just outside the walls. Can be booked on booking.com with double or single room. Near to both bus and train stations.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
do you think it will be enough only the day i arrive to lugo from o cadavo or another day is needed?
One day can be tight, as it is already a 30km+ walk from O Cadavo to Lugo (tough relatively flat terrain). If you want to walk around the city on the walls it is about another 4 km. The cathedral is worth a visit, too.

For me the remaining afternoon was sufficient for sightseeing. I did not want to give up the nice company I had found on the camino (this was also the reason for which I decided to walk to Melide instead over Friol and Sobrado dos Monxes). It depends on what you are interested in.

BC
Alexandra

One day can be tight, as it is already a 30km+ walk from O Cadavo to Lugo (tough relatively flat terrain). If you want to walk around the city on the walls it is about another 4 km. The cathedral is worth a visit, too.

For me the remaining afternoon was sufficient for sightseeing. I did not want to give up the nice company I had found on the camino (this was also the reason for which I decided to walk to Melide instead over Friol and Sobrado dos Monxes). It depends on what you are interested in.

BC
Alexandra[/QUO
what is :Friol and Sobrado dos Monxes ...that you mentioned?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Specifically to leave enough time to explore Lugo, we hoofed it to Castroverde the day before to have a shorter day into Lugo. It was the right decision for us, 'cause we didn't want to take a full day off in Lugo.

what is :Friol and Sobrado dos Monxes ...that you mentioned?
It is an alternative route from Lugo onwards, reuniting with the Camino de Norte in Sobrado dos Monxes (monastery with albergue) and hitting the Camino Francés in Arzua. According to some guidebooks, there is also the possibility to continue on country roads to A Brea, leaving only 23 km to walk in the crowds towards Santiago.

Specifically to leave enough time to explore Lugo, we hoofed it to Castroverde the day before to have a shorter day into Lugo. It was the right decision for us, 'cause we didn't want to take a full day off in Lugo.
I agree that that is a great option for those who want to have time in Lugo, but who don’t want to take a rest day. If you leave from Castroverde, you can easily get there before noon, which really leaves most of the day. If you are staying in the albergue, though, no entrance till 1 pm I think.

I have stayed both in the albergue and a couple of times in Pensión Alba. It is very close to the albergue and almost touching the walls. The family that runs it is kind and quirky. They sleep in the room behind reception and will happily wake up at any time to let you leave. The Lugo albergue is not one of my favorites, but it is totally adequate and as I think someone has commented, the bed spacing is good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is also the Lug II a kind of government albergue, which is on the right side of town for an early start. Cheap double with a bathroom semi-ensuite (ie shared with the room next door).

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back