• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I need some insight

shaju pathrose

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk Camino in 2020
I planing for the pilgrimage in 2017 , I am from New Zealand,
I would like to know how much money I need to have for every day food and stay .... Is there food available on a daily basis to buy .
Your answers will be highly appreciated .
Many thanks
Shaju

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would like to know how much money I need to have for every day food and stay .... Is there food available on a daily basis to buy .
Many thanks
Shaju
I'm glad that you are beginning planning for 2017!

There is a lot of information on the forum that will help you, and I'm sure that putting questions into the search bar will help you tremendously.

Regarding money: it really depends on how you travel. Budget travelers can get by on €25-€30 per day. Some travelers like to spend more, and stay in private hotels, pensions.

I think that amenities really depend on the route that you choose. Camino Frances has food and drink along the way, with only a few stretches where you need to carry snacks.

Reading through the forum, and especially the section with commonly asked questions, will help you tremendously. Enjoy your journey through the forum!

Thank you , I will plough through the forum. I never knew there are various routes .
Any way thanks I will research more .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many thanks
Shaju
Hi Shaju, last year I walked the Camino Frances in 37 day's and I spend about €1400.
Wish you happy planning and have a wonderful journey, Peter .

Hi Shaju,
I did the CF with my brother and sister last Sept 2015, our daily budget was 25E per day for each of us and we find it was enough for a bed in an albergue, a breakfast of coffee and toast, a main meal of menu de dia for lunch and a light snack for dinner (sandwich & fruits). You can save more by buying your groceries from the tiendas along the way and doing your own sandwich.
Good luck o your planning.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My advice would be to plan some contingency money too for trips to the farmicia, for bus or taxi if you're in need of skipping forward, etc.

Also, you might want to plan a small budget for sightseeing along the way. There are lots of neat museums and churches of notable architecture that charge a couple of Euro for entry. These charges help to keep the facility maintained and available into the future.

Also, if you will be attending Mass regularly, you might consider putting a few euros into the collection as that also helps keep the place in repair.

When reading older posts about costs we all need to remember that inflation etc has raised prices. For example - Galician xunta albergues price rose from €3 in 2009-10 to €5 in 2011 and then €6 by 2015. Menu del dia prices, in many places, have also risen by 10-15% over a similar period and may have risen again this year. We have usually checked prices and made a budget, then added a percentage as a safety net. So far we have always returned home with the extra money intact but it has been good to know it is there if needed.
Hopefully those walking this year can give a response on current costs along the various Camino routes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kia ora Shaju!
This forum is very useful. It might also be good for you to look at these sites: www.gronze.com, mundicamino.com and caminodesantiago.consumer.es. They will show you all the different routes and give lots of information about accommodation and services. Mundicamino is in a number of different languages, the other two are Spanish. The last one has cool maps!

Kia ora Shaju!
This forum is very useful. It might also be good for you to look at these sites: www.gronze.com, mundicamino.com and caminodesantiago.consumer.es. They will show you all the different routes and give lots of information about accommodation and services. Mundicamino is in a number of different languages, the other two are Spanish. The last one has cool maps!
Kia Ora
Thanks are you in New Zealand.
Thanks for the tip .

Kia Ora
Thanks are you in New Zealand.
Thanks for the tip .
I'm in Auckland until Sunday when we leave for the Via de la Plata (which is one of the other routes you are just learning about. Runs from Seville). Will be back to the forum in early July!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I usually budget like Debrita, between €20-25 per day but I picnic a lot.

Budget travelers can do it on that; sadly, I am not a budget traveler. I spend more on accommodations, both for myself and to relieve others of my snoring, love of reading at night, etc. I'm about a half-albergue/half-pension person.

On my first Camino, I budgeted 30 euro per day and regularly ended up going over. This time around, I'm budgeting 50/day. Of course, I have food allergies, so that means I can't always get the least expensive option for foods (no bocadillas/baguettes for me). Even so, I would maybe budget 60-70/day if you plan to stay in pensions regularly, since most of them are 20-30 euro/night. It also depends on how much you are wanting to cook for yourself. This CAN be cheaper, but only if you are cooking together with other pilgrims. Most of the time, when I cooked for myself, I ended up spending more than I would have for a pilgrim's menu. This is because I was constantly buying the staples (like rice) over and over again so that I didn't have to carry it, and because I usually only cooked when I was craving some veggies, and small amts of veggies tend to be a bit pricey.

Many thanks
Shaju

There are also 'pre-camino' costs like gear (if you don't have everything already) and flight/travel to/from to consider. Also which way and time of the year you choose can influence costs as, for example, in winter some albergues will be closed and you will need to budget for a pension/hotel from time to time. Or in high season the cheaper albergues might be already full when you arrive and you have to pay more for a private albergue. There are many factors to consider ...

Have fun planning and Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kia ora Shaju!
I'm a 30-35 Euro per day bloke. Altho I enjoy the camraderie of the albergues I spend the occasional night in a Casa Rural (B&B) or a cheap hostal (hotel) when I'm having a rest day in some interesting city - Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga. Take your pick! You'll probably also enjoy a sightseeing day in Santiago when you arrive.
The Camino Frances takes me, a kiwi saunterer and not a hiker, about 40 days.
So all up about 1500 Euros.
I would also recommend those sites that Kiwi-family advised.
You'll have lots of fun planning. It's great fun!
Regards
Gerard

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back