• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • āš ļø Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

I need to shorten my walk

nandogdc

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hi Pilgrims, The Camino Frances takes 33 days, but we don't have enough days due to work :-( We like to start in SJPDP then, stop, take a Train/Bus to save around 5 days then start again to complete the walk. Here goes the question :) From which town would we need to take the transport and where could we stop? Any ideas ?

Buen Camino
Fernando and Liza

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
So many options, but Iā€™d hate to suggest which parts to miss.

Re the 33 days ā€¦plenty of people walk the Frances in 25 days through to 40 days ā€¦ some less, some more, and anything in between.

You already know you want to start in SJPP. So how about start walking, see how you are going, and make the decision later. If you are wanting to book accommodation ahead, you can do that for the first two weeks and then as you go along.

After the first couple of weeks, youā€™ll know how far still to walk and how long itā€™s likely to take you. When you arrive, for example, in Sahagun (half way), or Leon or Astorga - one of those could be a good place to make your decision to skip the number of days you need to, and still walk in to SdeC if thatā€™s important to you. Seems a shame to decide in advance if you donā€™t need to. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck with whatever you decide. šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:
How many days do you have?

If I could make an alternate suggestion, it would be to avoid the 'stop-bus-start' portion of your itinerary and to make one go of it from a point closer to Santiago... perhaps as far as Pamplona or shorter to LogroƱo. Skipping parts of the camino tends to be a bit disruptive to the flow and experience, and unless there is something particularly compelling you to SJPdP it isn't a logical starting point.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How many days do you have?

If I could make an alternate suggestion, it would be to avoid the 'stop-bus-start' portion of your itinerary and to make one go of it from a point closer to Santiago... perhaps as far as Pamplona or shorter to LogroƱo. Skipping parts of the camino tends to be a bit disruptive to the flow and experience, and unless there is something particularly compelling you to SJPdP it isn't a logical starting point.
Yes thatā€™s a good approach if you are not wedded to starting in SJPP. šŸ˜Ž

Many years ago, we started in CarriĆ³n de los Condes and walked through to Santiago - and were very happy with the choice. We didn't have to part from the friends we'd made on the way, and got Compostelas with the whole distance.
Have a look at the camino planner and play around with the distances!

(We came back a few years later and walked from the French border to CarriĆ³n.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Pilgrims, The Camino Frances takes 33 days, but we don't have enough days due to work :-( We like to start in SJPDP then, stop, take a Train/Bus to save around 5 days then start again to complete the walk. Here goes the question :) From which town would we need to take the transport and where could we stop? Any ideas ?

Buen Camino
Fernando and Liza
Sjpp is pretty but starting a few ā€œstagesā€ ( these are just guidebook-driven creations) later would be more satisfying, possibly. You get into a rhythm of walking and soon begin to see familiar faces at albergues and cafes, which would be disrupted by bussing ahead. You will get advice here on which sections to skip but every section offers something special. I absolutely loved the meseta with itā€™s quiet dirt roads and small towns.

Last edited:
If you miss out the flat bit in the middle (Meseta) you'll save 8 days. Finish at Burgos and restart at Leon.
And miss the most sublime part of the camino?

I'm with others who suggest starting closer to Santiago. Depending on your fitness, that could easily be Pamplona. Not to be wedded to the 33 days business. It could be more, or less.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We cycled across the meseta in 2.5 days which is normally a 7-8 day walk so we saved 5, 5.5 days doing that. Lots of people say itā€™s sacrilege to not walk the meseta but we still experienced it, just by bike instead. It was so much fun too! We had our bikes delivered to La Fabrica, our albergue in Tardajos which is about 12kms outside of Burgos (GREAT albergue, by the way) and dropped them off in Leon. You may also want to factor in a couple of rest days here and there, too, based on how your body and your mind are feeling. I did witness people basically running to Santiago because they had a flight to catch, which didnā€™t seem too relaxing or fun to me. You can even take a bus to cross the meseta too which would probably be perfect and would also afford a rest day or two.

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino!

If it were me, my preference would be to join the Camino at a particular point and then stay on it to SdC. I know Brierley suggests 33 days in his guidebook for the CF. I put my stages together slightly differently and walked it easily in 31 days. It could have even been done a bit faster or a bit slower. And, as grand as it is to cross the Pyrenees, with your time limitations, Iā€™m going to suggest starting in Pamplona.

As there are numerous reasons why we walk, one of the reasons that I continue to return is for the people that I meet along The Way. As was mentioned above, by jumping around and skipping stages, youā€™re going to loose contact with pilgrims you start walking with. Seeing familiar faces at the end of the day or in the albergues or the cafĆ©s to share stories or laugh together became an important part of my daily routine as well as the Camino experience itself.

Buen Camino
Fernando and Liza
Skip the first 3 to 4 stages and start in Pamplona. Had the same issue when we walked in 2018 and it worked perfectly. Finished our walk in 29 days, and kept thr seamless aspect if our walk in tact. To meet people all along your way and then skip over stages would seem like starting over to me. Just my 2 cents!! Buen Camino to you!

Hello,
You could take a train from FrĆ³mista to LeĆ³n: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/FrĆ³mista/LeĆ³n-Spain

I'm not sure how many days that would save you, but you would still get a little taste of the Mesita (I think the walk into and out of Castrojeriz is one of the most beautiful parts of the CF). I can't imagine missing the walk from SJPDP - it is spectacular.

As for disrupting the flow of your walk; I agree - it's a bit like culture shock to find one's self on a train leaving familiar faces behind (we had family emergency and had to leave for a couple of weeks during our first walk), however, you'll meet new friends and most likely there will be some fast walkers who will catch up with you. Happy planning!

We cycled across the meseta in 2.5 days which is normally a 7-8 day walk so we saved 5, 5.5 days doing that. Lots of people say itā€™s sacrilege to not walk the meseta but we still experienced it, just by bike instead. It was so much fun too! We had our bikes delivered to La Fabrica, our albergue in Tardajos which is about 12kms outside of Burgos (GREAT albergue, by the way) and dropped them off in Leon. You may also want to factor in a couple of rest days here and there, too, based on how your body and your mind are feeling. I did witness people basically running to Santiago because they had a flight to catch, which didnā€™t seem too relaxing or fun to me. You can even take a bus to cross the meseta too which would probably be perfect and would also afford a rest day or two.

I appreciate the fact that you experienced the Meseta by bike. I have never understood that there is any correlation between riding a bike and walking a pilgrimage. I know also that pilgrimage has many different factors that affect what pilgrimage looks like today and what it looked like in the middle ages. I will not say it is sacrilege to not walk the meseta. For me it would be, but for others I say it is your decision. But I do believe it is incorrect and, in my opinion bad advice to equate two completely different experiences. I know this sounds like a criticism, (in a way it is haha) but it is what I believe and another way to look at this.
We like to start in SJPDP then, stop, take a Train/Bus to save around 5 days then start again to complete the walk.
Skipping parts of the camino tends to be a bit disruptive to the flow and experience, and unless there is something particularly compelling you to SJPdP it isn't a logical starting point.
Reviewing what many other members have written who have walked many caminos it seems like most agree with me. Start further along the camino. I think you see it is probably far better for you spiritually and mentally to have a continuous pilgrimage.
I have no idea your reasons for walking, your experience with long continuous distance walking, or your fitness level. It looks like you have about 28 days to walk. From Logrono that would be 22k a day. If you can do more that is great because it would give you the ability to take a couple of rest days as you never know what will happen to your body or your feet/blisters. It would also be great not to rush out of Santiago after your first Camino. You will want to experience the Pilgrim mass and the wonder of Santiago. You will also meet some of the most fantastic people on earth and wouldn't you want to have at least 1 or 2 final lunches, dinners and coffees with some of them. Remember you probably will want to do it again one day and then hopefully you will have more time and you can start from St. Jean or from a new camino you read about and want to discover.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Camino Frances doesn't have to take 33 days!
It is you who are walking; you can take as long as you wish or need to take. If you think that 25km per day on average is too much for you (which would give roughly 32 days walking from Saint Jean PdP), then begin in Pamplona instead (29 days at 25km per day), which might simplify your travel arrangements too. Or Logrono (25 days).
Remember that 25km per day may sound a lot at the beginning, but you may get fitter as you walk.
However, if you are already trail fit, you may find that a 30km daily average is feasible, in which case 27 days from SJPdP is OK. Despite guides being written in suggested daily stages, there are places to stay at most towns, villages and hamlets along the way.
I was 57 when I walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 27 days. I did not rush, had three or four shorter days (15 to 20kms), to allow extra sightseeing time and was in the shower in an albergue or pension before 4pm almost every day. After the first week I also formed a good bond with half a dozen fellow Pilgrims who I had breakfast or dinner with most days, and who walked at a similar pace to me. I wouldn't have wanted to jump on a bus and leave them behind!

So many options, but Iā€™d hate to suggest which parts to miss.

Re the 33 days ā€¦plenty of people walk the Frances in 25 days through to 40 days ā€¦ some less, some more, and anything in between.

You already know you want to start in SJPP. So how about start walking, see how you are going, and make the decision later. If you are wanting to book accommodation ahead, you can do that for the first two weeks and then as you go along.

After the first couple of weeks, youā€™ll know how far still to walk and how long itā€™s likely to take you. When you arrive, for example, in Sahagun (half way), or Leon or Astorga - one of those could be a good place to make your decision to skip the number of days you need to, and still walk in to SdeC if thatā€™s important to you. Seems a shame to decide in advance if you donā€™t need to. Hope that makes sense.

Good luck with whatever you decide. šŸ˜Ž
This is the wayā€¦excellent suggestion.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As others have stated, you could always walk faster in some sections - for example - the Meseta (if not too hot) is easy terrain for doing longer distances. It is also an easy section to skip via train since there is a train from Burgos to Leon. I also found it easy to do long distances in Sarria to Santiago (and I didn't want to hang with the crowds anyways). So - there are definitely ways to make up time if you want to - assuming you are at least of average fitness.

You could also start in SJPDP and just see how far you go - I would prefer that to skipping sections. Or - you could start in Pamplona and walk to Santiago. Might require a couple long days - but doable. Or you can start a couple stages after Pamplona.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, there are sections like Leon to San MartĆ­n del Camino which i could skip it, if walk CF again , basically walking in suburbs and industrial areas not the best.

Last year I did two stages in one day, there are small stages and easy so i added extra kms everyday and more as i approached Santiago, staying in towns between the major stops.

The beauty of the Camino is that there are a thousand ways to do it

Buen Camino
Fernando and Liza
Most people get these estimations somewhat wrong, and it takes as long as it takes. Normal faster or slower is 3 to 8 weeks, with most somewhere in the middle, though there are extremes outside that range if some are extremely fast or more often extremely slow.

Following some third party stages plan like Brierley's is less of a good plan than making one's own way.

And I usually advise that you'd need a rest day for every 10 full days of walking, plus at least 1 day in Santiago, plus the travel days -- some pilgrims may need fewer rest days than that, but count at least one ; you'll most likely need it.

Even so, and especially on a first Camino, it is a very good idea to make it continuous to Santiago, and if you have not enough days, then start at whatever distance from Santiago you can manage. Given what you're suggesting, maybe LogroƱo ? There's nothing special about SJPP as a starting place, despite the current fashion for setting off from there, or the incorrect notion that the "full Camino" is SJPP > Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are used to walking long distances you could adapt this 26 day stage guide. But I'm with everyone who has said to choose a starting point that will allow you to comfortably reach Santiago in the time that you have available. And work in a few extra days in case of illness, injury, blisters, etc. Burgos would give you enough time, and if you arrive in Santiago ahead of schedule you can continue on to Finisterre and/or MuxĆ­a.

Here's a 21 day plan for starting at Burgos, that would give you those contingency days, or allow you to walk to the coast.

@nandogdc - Could you tell us how many walking days you have, and how far can you comfortably walk each day?

This is the plan - I think we can do it all :) as we are quite fit. Maybe I am overthinking this too much.

Thanks to Rob's Camino (https://robscamino.com/) for this little Calc.

30-August-2023Depart HomeBrisbane AU
2Transit DaysTravel days prior to starting
01-September-2023Start in SJPDPThe day you plan to start walking
800Total KmsTotal Kms you plan to walk
25Preferred Kms / DayYour prefered daily walking distance
3Planned Rest DaysYour expected number of rest days
35Total days on CaminoThe total of your walking and rest days
06-October-2023Arrive in SantiagoThe day you plan to end your Camino
4Homeward Transit DaysTravel days heading home
10-October-2023Arrive Home
41Total days away

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is the plan

4Homeward Transit DaysTravel days heading home
41Total days away

Your plan shows 35 days on the Camino, but no days in Santiago.

Your plan shows 35 days on the Camino, but no days in Santiago.
I am counting a day from the 4 days I return home.

1Days in Santiago
3Homeward Transit DaysTravel days heading home
41Total days away

If you are used to walking long distances you could adapt this 26 day stage guide. But I'm with everyone who has said to choose a starting point that will allow you to comfortably reach Santiago in the time that you have available. And work in a few extra days in case of illness, injury, blisters, etc. Burgos would give you enough time, and if you arrive in Santiago ahead of schedule you can continue on to Finisterre and/or MuxĆ­a.

Here's a 21 day plan for starting at Burgos, that would give you those contingency days, or allow you to walk to the coast.
Hi Trecile, The website does not seem to work.

Hi Trecile, The website does not seem to work.
Hmm, I had trouble with it yesterday and I sent them a message via Facebook. They said that they had fixed the problem. It's been working fine for me all day.

But the point is that you can create your own stages to fit your timetable and fitness level. This planning site is useful: https://godesalco.com/plan/frances

41 days total including travel and rest days looks solid to me.

I was on a 31 day plan but at the end did the last two days in one and still got to the pilgrim office in Santiago by 4pm for a total of 30 walking days. I didn't feel like I rushed it or stressed myself.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I appreciate the fact that you experienced the Meseta by bike. I have never understood that there is any correlation between riding a bike and walking a pilgrimage. I know also that pilgrimage has many different factors that affect what pilgrimage looks like today and what it looked like in the middle ages. I will not say it is sacrilege to not walk the meseta. For me it would be, but for others I say it is your decision. But I do believe it is incorrect and, in my opinion bad advice to equate two completely different experiences. I know this sounds like a criticism, (in a way it is haha) but it is what I believe and another way to look at this.

Reviewing what many other members have written who have walked many caminos it seems like most agree with me. Start further along the camino. I think you see it is probably far better for you spiritually and mentally to have a continuous pilgrimage.
I have no idea your reasons for walking, your experience with long continuous distance walking, or your fitness level. It looks like you have about 28 days to walk. From Logrono that would be 22k a day. If you can do more that is great because it would give you the ability to take a couple of rest days as you never know what will happen to your body or your feet/blisters. It would also be great not to rush out of Santiago after your first Camino. You will want to experience the Pilgrim mass and the wonder of Santiago. You will also meet some of the most fantastic people on earth and wouldn't you want to have at least 1 or 2 final lunches, dinners and coffees with some of them. Remember you probably will want to do it again one day and then hopefully you will have more time and you can start from St. Jean or from a new camino you read about and want to discover.
The OP asked for ways to save time on their Camino so I made a suggestion. I donā€™t understand why some people feel the need to judge others on how they complete their Camino and say how I did it is ā€˜incorrectā€™. Itā€™s just uncalled for.

Another idea: start in Burgos or leon and plan time to go to Muxia/Finisterre, on foot. Especially after the full last 100 k I felt the beautiful surroundings and the few people as a blessing.
I walk from SdC to Muxia then to finisterre and the second time SdC to Finisterre

Buen Camino
Fernando and Liza

The land and the path have a rhythm and so does your walk your heartbeat and your mind - your Camino journey has a rhythm. The skyline the vegetation the terrain the local people ā€¦it all flows
Try not to disrupt this precious rhythm by taking a large five day chunk all at once. So that the skipped ā€œstageā€ isnā€™t a shock to the steady beat.
Pick five ā€œstagesā€ spread separately over the entire length - every sixth day perhaps or measured by kilometres - as if youā€™re removing small bites.
Buen Camino.

This is the plan - I think we can do it all :) as we are quite fit. Maybe I am overthinking this too much.

Thanks

Right. The whole charm of Camino is, that you can afford to go without an exact schedule in advance (just not to miss the return flight) and plan it on the go.
Objectively there are just too many factors which may emerge daily and opportunities offered by the fate, that it would be pity to miss them because of the commitment to an initial planā€¦
You always can speed up or jump in a buss if necessary, but the feeling that finally there are only yourself and the way in front of you is simply priceless :)

Well, that's 35 posts and 40 opinions. Have you thought of tossing a coin?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-

I met 2 pilgrims doing this in June. It's a cool idea if you're short on time and don't want to skip anything!

If you have to skip any my vote would be to skip sahagun to astorga. But take time in Leon to look around the cathedral. That will save about 5 days depending on your planned route. I really love the meseta but the bit after sahagun is skip able! Astorga is a really cool place a lot of pilgrims wish they planned their rest day for astorga. The section after astorga up to the Cruz de ferro is so good.

Buen camino xx

Also: Instead of rest days take a half day of like 10-13 km. Can keep going AND sight see in places. It looks to me like you have 36 days. That might be enough to complete it? Or start in Pamplona and that may be enough ? Plan for the unexpected. The June heatwave was insane it was really hard to walk after 11am!!! Good luck. The advice to see where you are at the half way point is really good xx

@shawlaw, from whom did you rent your bikes? Places I've seen so far required 7 day rental, which is more than needed to bike the stage you suggested, which I also thought I would like to try to do.

The OP asked for ways to save time on their Camino so I made a suggestion. I donā€™t understand why some people feel the need to judge others on how they complete their Camino and say how I did it is ā€˜incorrectā€™. Itā€™s just uncalled for.
I have read both @Shalaw and @It56ny posts again, and I think you both acknowledged that there were different points of view on whether cycling the Meseta is the best way to shorten the time needed for a Camino.
I don't think it is judgmental to disagree.

I have cycled the Camino Frances (or as close to it as feasible on a tandem) and walked the Camino Frances. I haven't attempted a hybrid walking/cycling version. The main downside of cycling was lack of opportunity to forge 'pilgrim family' relationships, since the daily distances among cyclists varies even more than among walkers. But is certainly a valid and worthwhile Camino experience in my eyes.

Back