• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

I-Phone Tech Q

Doug Bowne

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
When I down load a PDF guide for Camino Salvator to my I-Phone I can't find it. Where does it go? Will I need a PDF reader app. to read it?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As @linkster does, I use iBooks too but to originally 'find' your PDF on your iPhone after you download it you can simply swipe all the way to the left most screen which is a search screen. Just type in the name of the PDF you downloaded in the search bar and you will see if there. Just select it and it will load for you and you're good to go.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I down load a PDF guide for Camino Salvator to my I-Phone I can't find it. Where does it go? Will I need a PDF reader app. to read it?
I am not that tech savvy at all but will bring my IPhone as a way to let family know where Iam occasionally . So my question is: Do I just require an adapter or also a converter for the electricity. I have been to different stores, supposedly knowledgeable, but receive different answers. So for all you out there that have done this, can I get the straight goods please?

I am not that tech savvy at all but will bring my IPhone as a way to let family know where Iam occasionally . So my question is: Do I just require an adapter or also a converter for the electricity. I have been to different stores, supposedly knowledgeable, but receive different answers. So for all you out there that have done this, can I get the straight goods please?

You'll need a USB wall charger that is compatible with European plugs...you can order one from Amazon or eBay for the same price as an american USB wall plug (e.g. cheap). You just use your regular charging cord with the wall plug. No transformer or anything like that needed as the USB plug converts everything to 5v anyway.

P.S. If you get one with many USB ports, you can share wall plugs with others.

If you are coming from North America all you need is your normal wall plug charger and a European socket adapter. Apple builds their charger to be able to accept from 110-240 voltage but the plug is physically different so all you need is the adapter. You can buy these for under a dollar on this[/B] page on Apple's website. Buen Camino, Jordon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As @linkster does, I use iBooks too but to originally 'find' your PDF on your iPhone after you download it you can simply swipe all the way to the left most screen which is a search screen. Just type in the name of the PDF you downloaded in the search bar and you will see if there. Just select it and it will load for you and you're good to go.

Hello josero, I am leaving from Comox for the Cf on Sept. 2nd. I am not a techy and have been spending hours trying to decipher what would work best for staying in touch on my journey. I have an i-phone 4 that I barely need or use (need to unlock it). I have a tablet that i use for travel but not backpacking...too heavy. I am feeling a little out of my element with all this thecno stuff. I am not dependent on getting wifi everyday neither do i wish to but getting in touch with hubby back home is considerate. I will use my iphone as a camera, my e-guide and internet (occasional) and perhaps an e-reader. So, as you can see i need help trying to figure out what to do. What are the simplest and most affordable option for Can. ?

If you are coming from North America all you need is your normal wall plug charger and a European socket adapter. Apple builds their charger to be able to accept from 110-240 voltage but the plug is physically different so all you need is the adapter. You can buy these for under a dollar on this[/B] page on Apple's website. Buen Camino, Jordon.
Thank you I do have 3!!!

Hello josero, I am leaving from Comox for the Cf on Sept. 2nd. I am not a techy and have been spending hours trying to decipher what would work best for staying in touch on my journey. I have an i-phone 4 that I barely need or use (need to unlock it). I have a tablet that i use for travel but not backpacking...too heavy. I am feeling a little out of my element with all this thecno stuff. I am not dependent on getting wifi everyday neither do i wish to but getting in touch with hubby back home is considerate. I will use my iphone as a camera, my e-guide and internet (occasional) and perhaps an e-reader. So, as you can see i need help trying to figure out what to do. What are the simplest and most affordable option for Can. ?
Hey @MonaLisa - you must be getting excited...! For your iPhone 4, if you think you are fine not having a 'phone' for anytime (meaning you can make a call whenever you want to) there are two great options that allow you to call home.

The first is Skype. You can download the app on your phone and if your husband also has skype, either on a computer, tablet or phone, you can 'call' him skype-to-skype for free when you're on wifi (which is found free at virtually every bar, Albergue, hotel, etc). If he doesn't have any of those devices you can also just buy some skype credit (through skype) which they allows you to call him or anyone else on a normal landline. It's very cheap to use skype credit to do this.

The second app is called Whatsapp. This option would require you both to have mobile phones with the Whatsapp app loaded on both phones. Once done, any time you have wifi you can send a text (sms) or if the time difference is acceptable you can also just call him within the app for free. Unlike skype, there is no pay option so you can't call a landline.

I use both apps often and when you have good wifi the call is so clear it's like a landline call back home.

For your iPhone you can certainly use a guide app such as wisepilgrim (there are many other but I like this one and have used it so can vouch for it) which also has the ability to show you where you are via GPS (that's also built into your iphone). You just download the app and go to the map feature and it will have a little circle on it... that's you! Lots of other go info about Albergues, bars, points of interest, etc.

For a camera, also an easy option to capture memories. I've taken many with my phone and they have turned out very nice. If you plan on taking quite a few though it can be a challenge as you will soon run out of space on your phone. What I did is upgraded my memory space on my icloud account with Apple. It was $4/month and gave me 200gb of cloud storage space. Another option is Dropbox which I've read many other Pilgrims use. The nice thing there is that they can upload directly from their phone whenever they have wifi and also share their Dropbox folder with anyone they choose so your husband can follow along photographically too!

I wish you a great Camino and look forward to hearing back from you here on the forum afterwards about how it went and seeing some nice photos! Buen Camino, Jordon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey @MonaLisa - you must be getting excited...! For your iPhone 4, if you think you are fine not having a 'phone' for anytime (meaning you can make a call whenever you want to) there are two great options that allow you to call home.

The first is Skype. You can download the app on your phone and if your husband also has skype, either on a computer, tablet or phone, you can 'call' him skype-to-skype for free when you're on wifi (which is found free at virtually every bar, Albergue, hotel, etc). If he doesn't have any of those devices you can also just buy some skype credit (through skype) which they allows you to call him or anyone else on a normal landline. It's very cheap to use skype credit to do this.

The second app is called Whatsapp. This option would require you both to have mobile phones with the Whatsapp app loaded on both phones. Once done, any time you have wifi you can send a text (sms) or if the time difference is acceptable you can also just call him within the app for free. Unlike skype, there is no pay option so you can't call a landline.

I use both apps often and when you have good wifi the call is so clear it's like a landline call back home.

For your iPhone you can certainly use a guide app such as wisepilgrim (there are many other but I like this one and have used it so can vouch for it) which also has the ability to show you where you are via GPS (that's also built into your iphone). You just download the app and go to the map feature and it will have a little circle on it... that's you! Lots of other go info about Albergues, bars, points of interest, etc.

For a camera, also an easy option to capture memories. I've taken many with my phone and they have turned out very nice. If you plan on taking quite a few though it can be a challenge as you will soon run out of space on your phone. What I did is upgraded my memory space on my icloud account with Apple. It was $4/month and gave me 200gb of cloud storage space. Another option is Dropbox which I've read many other Pilgrims use. The nice thing there is that they can upload directly from their phone whenever they have wifi and also share their Dropbox folder with anyone they choose so your husband can follow along photographically too!

I wish you a great Camino and look forward to hearing back from you here on the forum afterwards about how it went and seeing some nice photos! Buen Camino, Jordon.

Hi Jordon, thank you so much for all that great info. I was totally wondering about the space on my phone and icloud... I will research all the great suggestion you so kindly assisted me with... as for Skype... Had it set up a few years back while on a trip... it had a glitch on the home front??? My hubby has an iphone as well and I am hoping to use facetime. Do you know if FT works from Spain to Can? I am sorry to be picking up your brain... Suddenly it seems that everyone wants a piece of me and my "time" to finish prepping is shrinking fast! Indeed i am excited and a smidget more "anxious" then I thought I would be, yet I do realize that all is well. I am still learning the forum protocole and i am not sure if this is a derailing reply... Anyhow, I am grateful for your time and encouragement. Lise

Hi Jordon, thank you so much for all that great info. I was totally wondering about the space on my phone and icloud... I will research all the great suggestion you so kindly assisted me with... as for Skype... Had it set up a few years back while on a trip... it had a glitch on the home front??? My hubby has an iphone as well and I am hoping to use facetime. Do you know if FT works from Spain to Can? I am sorry to be picking up your brain... Suddenly it seems that everyone wants a piece of me and my "time" to finish prepping is shrinking fast! Indeed i am excited and a smidget more "anxious" then I thought I would be, yet I do realize that all is well. I am still learning the forum protocole and i am not sure if this is a derailing reply... Anyhow, I am grateful for your time and encouragement. Lise
Don't be sorry, this is what this forum is all about. None of us would be here if we didn't want to help or learn.

FT will work fine when you have access to wifi. One suggesting would be to take some earbuds if you're going to use that so you can have a modicum of privacy while you chat while not disturbing those around you who have come to unplug and get away from that aspect of life.

Excitement and anxiety (in small doses) are great, it tells you something big is on the horizon. Now the challenge is to enjoy the time at home and not overthink or worry. The Camino is a great experience and you'll be surrounded by experienced Pilgrims all the time who will be more than happy to help during your walk too!

Don't be sorry, this is what this forum is all about. None of us would be here if we didn't want to help or learn.

FT will work fine when you have access to wifi. One suggesting would be to take some earbuds if you're going to use that so you can have a modicum of privacy while you chat while not disturbing those around you who have come to unplug and get away from that aspect of life.

Excitement and anxiety (in small doses) are great, it tells you something big is on the horizon. Now the challenge is to enjoy the time at home and not overthink or worry. The Camino is a great experience and you'll be surrounded by experienced Pilgrims all the time who will be more than happy to help during your walk too!

Very good point regarding respecting the peace of other pilgrims and sparing them listening to private conversation while Facetiming, I think it would be best that I set up an additional option to communicate with love ones... e-mail? Texting? I need to be a big girl and get my apps together...
Thanks to this forum and people like you, I am finding the courage to shift my attitude from techno intimidated to willing to try and learn :eek:
Excitement and anticipation (the butterflies in the tummy phenomenon) are natural occurrence when choosing to expand my horizon... on the other spectrum, anxiety is never uplifting as it comes from fear... Anxiety does not come from the heart, it is generated by the ego mind who can't trust what it does not know or can't control. The Camino is already at work!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Excitement and anticipation (the butterflies in the tummy phenomenon) are natural occurrence when choosing to expand my horizon... on the other spectrum, anxiety is never uplifting as it comes from fear...
Happy to help and happy to hear it is creating courage. Looked at the other way, one could say that a little fear/anxiety is not a bad thing as it helps us consider our actions and make wise choices ;)
Wishing you a great experience in Spain!

When you download a pdf and see it on the screen, in the top right corner it should say "open in iBooks " if not just touch the screen and it should come up. Touch the bit that says open in iBooks. The item will then be in the iBooks app. When you open the iBooks app look at the very top middle of the screen. It will tell you what area of iBooks you are looking at "All Books" "Books" "PDFs" To view your pdfs it needs to say "all books" or "pdfs". if it says books, tap it to drop down a list and change it. You can also name a folder (for example name a folder Camino) and have copies of all your Camino stuff stored there.

Personally, I think iBooks is the worst PDF reader. It's well worth investing a couple of bucks in an app such as goodreader, which also lets you make notes and annotations, besides having much better PDFs display than iBooks does. FWIW, you can also open PDFs in safari if you like.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You'll need a USB wall charger that is compatible with European plugs...you can order one from Amazon or eBay for the same price as an american USB wall plug (e.g. cheap). You just use your regular charging cord with the wall plug. No transformer or anything like that needed as the USB plug converts everything to 5v anyway.

Thanks to all for good directions Re. Down loading PDF's . At my age it is easier to walk a camino in the dark than navigate the world of smart phones in the palm of my.

MonaLisa, I'd just recommend that you remember to turn off "Data Roaming" (under Settings) and turn off "Cellular Data" on your iPhone. This way you won't mistakenly run up huge cell bills by receiving calls on your phone or using data. You'll still be able to connect to Wi-fi to do email, Skype, or Facetime.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thank you

MonaLisa, I'd just recommend that you remember to turn off "Data Roaming" (under Settings) and turn off "Cellular Data" on your iPhone. This way you won't mistakenly run up huge cell bills by receiving calls on your phone or using data. You'll still be able to connect to Wi-fi to do email, Skype, or Facetime.
Good to remember

Happy to help and happy to hear it is creating courage. Looked at the other way, one could say that a little fear/anxiety is not a bad thing as it helps us consider our actions and make wise choices ;)
Wishing you a great experience in Spain!

I am so proud of myself .... I was starting to think that my iPhone 4 might be too outdated for my trip... should I get a new one? :eek:$$$ ouch! (and I really do not need it! No reception at home on Quadra Island. Land line and Internet is where it's at for my neighborhood.)
OK Back to why i am feeling smug :D My web search led me to this: thebudgetmindedtraveler.com/iphone-abroad/ A Complete Guide to Using Your iPhone Abroad: For Dummies
Absolutely fantastic!!! So easy to understand.
  • Get phone unlocked and have carrier freeze account
  • Get a SIM card while in Spain with Data Credit
  • NO roaming! Airplane mode.
  • Enjoy Camino! :p Bingo!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Yes indeed! That is why I had data locked on my phone, did not need to use my phone for it and why the risk? No I will review what needs to be set up and be vigilant as well. Thank you for thinking of me.

I am so proud of myself .... I was starting to think that my iPhone 4 might be too outdated for my trip... should I get a new one? :eek:$$$ ouch! (and I really do not need it! No reception at home on Quadra Island. Land line and Internet is where it's at for my neighborhood.)
OK Back to why i am feeling smug :D My web search led me to this: thebudgetmindedtraveler.com/iphone-abroad/ A Complete Guide to Using Your iPhone Abroad: For Dummies
Absolutely fantastic!!! So easy to understand.
  • Get phone unlocked and have carrier freeze account
  • Get a SIM card while in Spain with Data Credit
  • NO roaming! Airplane mode.
  • Enjoy Camino! :p Bingo!
Happy to read things are looking very positive! For a short time I worked at April Point so wonder if we ever crossed paths!

Just a couple last thoughts:

Rather than freezing your Canadian account you may find it easier to just leave your SIM card at home so you don't have to keep track of it the whole Camino. Easy to slip the new one in when you get to Spain. Remember to take either the actual SIM card slot opener with you or the economy substitute; a small paper Clip!

When you choose your service in Spain you won't need to worry about roaming as it will work all across Spain however you're right to keep your cellular data turned off until/if you actually need it as it will get used pretty quick otherwise. I've used Moviestar and Vodaphone and both worked very well and we're both easy to recharge at small stores across the country.

Only 12 days! Buen Camino!!

When I look for "cellular data" and "data roaming" I don't see these words (on iPhone). Is that the same as "airplane mode"? I bought a sims card in Leon, and was only able to make about 3 calls total. At home, I put $20 worth of minutes and that was gone, too. Thank goodness for whatsapp .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Happy to read things are looking very positive! For a short time I worked at April Point so wonder if we ever crossed paths!

Just a couple last thoughts:

Rather than freezing your Canadian account you may find it easier to just leave your SIM card at home so you don't have to keep track of it the whole Camino. Easy to slip the new one in when you get to Spain. Remember to take either the actual SIM card slot opener with you or the economy substitute; a small paper Clip!

When you choose your service in Spain you won't need to worry about roaming as it will work all across Spain however you're right to keep your cellular data turned off until/if you actually need it as it will get used pretty quick otherwise. I've used Moviestar and Vodaphone and both worked very well and we're both easy to recharge at small stores across the country.

Only 12 days! Buen Camino!!

Great recommendation. Yes, It makes total sense to keep my account open and just switch SIM card. I will do the switch while in Spain and ensure a secure spot for my Can one.
I have never worked at April Point and unless you had children attending our amazing childcare center, I'll be surprised that we crossed path but my daughter move to Parksville and I am good for a coffee one day?
When I returned from CF it will be you counting the days for your CP.
Buen Camino.

When I look for "cellular data" and "data roaming" I don't see these words (on iPhone). Is that the same as "airplane mode"? I bought a sims card in Leon, and was only able to make about 3 calls total. At home, I put $20 worth of minutes and that was gone, too. Thank goodness for whatsapp .

Bonita, 3 down from "Airplane Mode" should be "Cellular". Swipe that. Then turn off "Cellular Data". According to the "Cellular Data Options" just below that, turning off Cellular Data will restrict all data to Wi-Fi use only.

Bonita, 3 down from "Airplane Mode" should be "Cellular". Swipe that. Then turn off "Cellular Data". According to the "Cellular Data Options" just below that, turning off Cellular Data will restrict all data to Wi-Fi use only.

Very useful info...Thanks x3

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a question about i phones:
I would like to use my 5c on the ruta de la plata. I am going with a company that I will need to make local calls to contact the hotel to pick me up.
Verizon has a plan I like and has quite a few minutes both international and local with some data and loads of texting.
I prefer this to unlocking the phone and getting sim card.
Will this work for local calls? I seem to have had some problems with this last year in southern france.

I have a question about i phones:
I would like to use my 5c on the ruta de la plata. I am going with a company that I will need to make local calls to contact the hotel to pick me up.
Verizon has a plan I like and has quite a few minutes both international and local with some data and loads of texting.
I prefer this to unlocking the phone and getting sim card.
Will this work for local calls? I seem to have had some problems with this last year in southern france.

With Verizon, you should not need to unlock any LTE Capable phone:

http://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

"We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier."

I used Orange on the VdlP last year. It worked great, I just wish I would have put enough cash on the SIM card for the second month (I did not use a credit card). I had to be in a city during work hours to add money for more data.

¡Buen Camino!

Usually you use Safari to download it and the pdf will be visible there with the option, at the top right of the screen, to save to iBooks, where you can view it offline anytime.

Rod the Apple Trainer

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you
I suggest buying a cheap European adaptor plug at home and bring your native Apple branded charger. The cheap chargers available online often do not have the sophisticated circuitry to protect your phone from surges etc.
The Apple charger auto detects the voltage. Check the label on it- it should say 110-240 Volts.

I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad mini (several years old) - Do I have to order a European adapter/USB plug from Amazon (I leave in 2 weeks) or can I just buy one at Gatwick or in Bordeaux (where I will be before SJPP)?

Are these available to buy in Europe? (eg. Gatwick)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad mini (several years old) - Do I have to order a European adapter/USB plug from Amazon (I leave in 2 weeks) or can I just buy one at Gatwick or in Bordeaux (where I will be before SJPP)?

Your Apple charger will detect the voltage 110/220 so all you need is an inexpensive wall adapter in Europe that you can buy at home and bring with you to plug your charger and cable into. The iPhone 4S uses the old Apple 30 pin cable. I would take an extra one of those just in case.

I suggest buying a cheap European adaptor plug at home and bring your native Apple branded charger. The cheap chargers available online often do not have the sophisticated circuitry to protect your phone from surges etc.
The Apple charger auto detects the voltage. Check the label on it- it should say 110-240 Volts.

Working at an Apple Premium Service Store we see examples of cheap third party chargers that do not have the proper circuitry and fry the Apple product.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are these available to buy in Europe? (eg. Gatwick)
Possible but I wouldn't want to bet on it because the UK uses a different socket than Spain so likely hard to find a 110 to 220 adapter there. Most of theirs would likely be 220-220 with different prongs being the only difference.

Pretty easy to pick one up in any number of travel equipment stores in Vancouver. I have previously bought them in stores that sell luggage, MEC, The Bay, etc. Lots of places around you and one (kinda important) less thing to worry about when you arrive in the UK.

Looks like you're leaving soon so good luck and have a great time!
Buen Camino,
Jordon

That looks good for the price, and you can charge two USB devices at the same time. I'm still a little bit weary of third party chargers which tend to not have the sophisticated circuitry and can lead to problems. See
http://www.digmodo.com/generic-versus-genuine-wall-car-chargers-worth-the-cost
Ya, I bought a cheap charger for the car so I could charge my phone in the car. Threw it out after the first partial charge because it made my phone so hot I thought it was going to explode.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey @MonaLisa - you must be getting excited...! For your iPhone 4, if you think you are fine not having a 'phone' for anytime (meaning you can make a call whenever you want to) there are two great options that allow you to call home. .

Assuming someone else in the family also has an Apple device, she can also use built in FaceTime App to call someone else's Mac, iPhone or iPad. Wifi is quite widespread in villages along the CF. Sometimes the speed/bandwith is a little slow though. I made FaceTime Audio calls which require less bandwidth to make the connection. Practice calling people with FaceTime before you go. It's easy to look someone up in your Contact list, (or add their phone# or Apple ID email address to Contacts) tap the camera or phone icon beside their name and place the FaceTime call! If you get your iPhone unlocked, you can get a Spanish SIM card almost anywhere (which is a new local phone #) for about €15 which includes 15GB of data, that should last you about a month and enable you to make occasional FaceTime calls, email home, and call ahead to Albergues if need be to reserve!
Pleased to answer Apple iPhone questions anytime here! I work part time as an Apple trainer.

Back