• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I probably won’t do this again

Zordmot

3rd CF in May 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2022
As I lay here in my 7th albergue awake at 2 am after walking 27 km yesterday, each night has been the same: the room is dominated not by snorers but by people with sleep apnea- a severe medical untreated medical condition. The asleep person 4 ft away from me is in a marathon struggle for survival and sounds at as loud as a chain saw. I can hear two others in this room in the same boat. Why oh why do these people who know what their sleeping does to others stay in albergues? We all sympathize for their condition—although it is treatable-but this lack of consideration for others is mind boggling to me. For this reason I won’t be walking again and I can’t recommend the Camino to others.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Staying in a room full of people involves a lot of compromise. I would recommend that you find other lodging; there are lots of options. (Not everyone with sleep apnea can afford to buy and carry a portable CPAP machine with them on the Camino.)

Most of us use earplugs. 5mg of Zolpidem helps, too.

As I lay here in my 7th albergue awake at 2 am after walking 27 km yesterday, each night has been the same: the room is dominated not by snorers but by people with sleep apnea- a severe medical untreated medical condition. The asleep person 4 ft away from me is in a marathon struggle for survival and sounds at as loud as a chain saw. I can hear two others in this room in the same boat. Why oh why do these people who know what their sleeping does to others stay in albergues? We all sympathize for their condition—although it is treatable-but this lack of consideration for others is mind boggling to me. For this reason I won’t be walking again and I can’t recommend the Camino to others.

When the snoring is that bad I agree, it can be totally soul destroying! Ask them where they are walking to tomorrow. Then don't go there!

But you don't need to sleep in albergues/dorms. Private rooms are easy to find.

I really hope you find some quiet nights and get some good rest Zordmot!

Buen quiet Camino!
Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If one chooses to stay in a communal setting I think they should be prepared to accept the human condition, the good and the bad. I am not a medical person, but it seems to me that (a) snoring and sleep apnea are common, (b) they are natural, and (c) they are involuntary.

I agree entirely that it is unpleasant and frustrating listening to others, but that is why I do not stay in albergues. I would not let it ruin your camino. Maybe try some private accommodation if it can fit in your budget.

Dear Zordmot, I am so glad that you do not snore yourself, but here are a few words to help your understanding, I have sleep apnea and snore, loud enough that I have to wear ear plugs so not to wake myself at night. I do not think I have had a good night sleep for over 20 years due to this. I have twice tried to use CPAP machines, which seem to successfully decrease my incidence of snoring/apnea episodes, but have to give up after a couple of months of dedicated use. They are uncomfortable, limit ones movements in bed, troublesome to detach from to get up in the middle of the night, etc. I am very worried about the health problems that apnea can cause for me but just cannot do the CPAP route and other solutions, such as surgery do not have a great success rate. So treatment is not as easy or successful as one might think.
On a previous post about snoring and albergues, a kind member recommended a dental device that might help my apnea/snoring. I have ordered one, though it may not arrive in time for my camino. (Whoo Hoo, leaving in a week) I will be saying prayers during my camino for alleviation from this condition, however, I have also planned on staying in private rooms along my route to protect others from the experience of my snoring/gasping for air.

Last edited:
It’s unfortunate that you have not understood that the Camino has seen many people walk it for over a thousand years. Some of them are/were sick. If you needed a vacation then go to Hawaii.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Dear Friend,
I understand and empathize with your frustration and dissatisfaction. These feelings are easy to feel given the circumstances. It is seems a rather normal expectation that others who have personal issues would plan their Camino in such a way that it does not disrupt the Caminos of those without personal problems. But, I have often sat back and thought, "There, but for the grace of God, go I."
I feel great pity for those who struggle for what is required each day - a decent night's sleep. I don't know their financial situation or the reasons/motivations for their being on Camino. I try to say a little prayer for them that their challenges would be lightened for the rest of their pilgrimage. I will control only what I can - I will use ear plugs nightly, I will try to be aware of those with issues that are hard for me and avoid them in the future, and I will try to do something thoughtful and kind for them the next day where and when possible.
Lastly, the Camino will call you back - she always does - follow your heart when that sweet, gentle call comes.

I remember being exposed to a pilgrim with sleep apnea only once. He woke people around him several times during the night, with a sound like a man being garrotted. A marvellous effort!

By the way, I doubt the OP was totally unsympathetic concerning sufferers of the condition, but was understandably cranky after several nights with little sleep. I endorse the suggestion to use high-quality earplugs, as for me they have proved a cheap and effective solution.

And spend some time walking with me on the camino and you may be tempted to reassess your understanding of the human condition!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Zordmot, I am so glad that you do not snore yourself, but here are a few words to help your understanding, I have sleep apnea and snore, loud enough that I have to wear ear plugs so not to wake myself at night. I do not think I have had a good night sleep for over 20 years due to this. I have twice tried to use CPAP machines, which seem to successfully decrease my incidence of snoring/apnea episodes, but have to give up after a couple of months of dedicated use. They are uncomfortable, limit ones movements in bed, troublesome to detach from to get up in the middle of the night, etc. I am very worried about the health problems that apnea can cause for me but just cannot do the CPAP route and other solutions, such as surgery do not have a great success rate. So treatment is not as easy or successful as one might think.
On a previous post about snoring and albergues, a kind member recommended a dental device that might help my apnea/snoring. I have ordered one, though it may not arrive in time for my camino. (Whoo Hoo, leaving in a week) I will be saying prayers during my camino for alleviation from this condition, however, I have also planned on staying in private rooms along my route to protect others from the experience of my snoring/gasping for air.
I hope the dental device you ordered helps you. My father suffered from asthma and I lost him last year due to this ailment. He couldn't laugh heartily as he would suffer an attack. I feel for all who struggle with breathing issues. May God bless you and buen camino.

Last edited:
My husband has mild sleep apnoea and a mandibular splint, like a mouth guard, has made life infinitely better - we both sleep. They do have to be custom made to push the lower jaw into a position that opens the airways. Hope yours works out. Buen Camino
Glenda

Zordmot I completely empathise. My husband’s mild sleep apnoea kept me awake for years with unbelievably loud snoring, so I really feel for you in the presence of a severe sufferer. Like you I need my sleep so will be going the route of private accommodations on my first Camino. Please don’t give up over this.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My mother swears she's not a snorer. But she is. I recorded her to prove it. Now we're even because I'm world championship snorer. Sometimes. And sometimes not at all. What's the reason wheather yes or no I don't know.

The last report said it sounded something like "raping a goose", for whatever that means :D

Anyway either use earplugs, go into private accommodation or Camino just isn't for you. Go to the beachside and enjoy your time there ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
🙋🏻‍♀️ Perfectly silent and respectful 5am riser here! Just thought I’d mention that we do exist! 😁
There are silent and there are loud early risers :)

Anyway I just can't get how you people can get up so early. I mean if I go to bed before midnight I'd be awake at 3am and then I would want to sleep on at 7am. Never tried it on Camino though. Never ever started walking before 8 am. Even on Levante when I had two weeks of like 40C during the day.

Last edited:
I entered an albergue one afternoon and there was only one other person there so far, another woman. She requested a dorm with just women; no men. The hospitalero said that so far no men had come in, but that - if they did - he would point them to beds at the far other end of the room. She was adamant that she preferred not to be in the same room with men. So her bunk was next to mine and sure enough, a group of men show up next and they are taken to beds far away from us. She complained about it and, when I asked her why she didn't want men in the room she said, "Because they all snore and keep me awake!" She then lay down for an afternoon nap and I tape recorded her (she is not identifiable in this 16 sec video, but you can hear her snoring)

Last edited:
@KinkyOne I don’t know...I’ve been an early riser since childhood and though I have been criticised for it a lot as though it’s a terrible moral failure, at 42 I have to resign myself that it’s not likely to ever change. I just wake up at 4:30/5am and feel bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to go! But I can honestly say that I have never woken anyone up (unless I wanted to 😈).

But I flag early in the evening and very often find myself yawning my head off by 8pm.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ll take snorers and the like over 5am risers with their headlamps, cell phone alarms, and endless bag rustling...
I was a 5 am rustler, usually because I had given up hope for any sleep because the heating was on in the Albergue at night, but I would pack my bag at night so all I just carried my pack and sleeping bag into the common area to pack.

Snoring can't be helped, but obliviousness is optional.
It's the people who live in their own little selfish bubbles that get me.
And. Loud snorers can definitely mean no sleep...so @Zordmot, why not take a few nights of well-earned rest in private accommodation?

The big picure is that things happen - and we have no choice in the matter.
But we have the choice to grow with the challenges that we face, or not.
So it's up to you @Zordmot , stay or go. But I bet if you find a way to stay the course, you won't regret it.

I slept in a room with 5 bunk beds with 9 other pilgrims. A pilgrim had a machine running between our bunk beds during the night. The machine was very loud and constant. It woke up everyone in the room. Pilgrims were getting up, moving around and the pilgrim using the machine woke up to use the toilet. Don’t know if some one said something to the pilgrim with the machine. Afterwards, the machine was not as loud. I managed to get some sleep.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Surely there has to be some hardship in life or a pilgrimage? Walking short distances with bag transportation and staying in proper hotels involves no hardship or difficulty, with out effort there is no reward. A loss of sleep in the Albergue at night is not really a problem as you are unlikely to fall CV asleep while walking. Just have an afternoon nap when you arrive.
If you are tired and you want to sleep it is easily done.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I entered an albergue one afternoon and there was only one other person there so far, another woman. She requested a dorm with just women; no men. The hospitalero said that so far no men had come in, but that - if they did - he would point them to beds at the far other end of the room. She was adamant that she preferred not to be in the same room with men. So her bunk was next to mine and sure enough, a group of men show up next and they are taken to beds far away from us. She complained about it and, when I asked her why she didn't want men in the room she said, "Because they all snore and keep me awake!" She then lay down for an afternoon nap and I tape recorded her (she is not identifiable in this 16 sec video, but you can hear her snoring)
the exact same thing happened to my husband and I when we walked last year. Luckily for us, the offender was a bicigrino, so we never saw here again! She must have been single, to have such a lack of self-awareness of her snoring habits. :)

Last year I had a terrible muscle pain in my hip that kept me from sleeping more than 35% of the time !
I swore each morning that I would stop, and then my hip complied as soon as I started walking again.
So I know how you feel by having cut short your hard earned sleep !
At one point I was so much awake the whole night that I could declare to the entire dorm the next mornning that No One had snored!! - so that happens also!
But have you resorted to plan B and go single room outside the Albergues ?
- it will take more cash but would save your senses !!

Last edited:
I have something that I keep in my backpack for just such a situation. It's called tolerance - it works wonders for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Surely there has to be some hardship in life or a pilgrimage? Walking short distances with bag transportation and staying in proper hotels involves no hardship or difficulty, with out effort there is no reward. A loss of sleep in the Albergue at night is not really a problem as you are unlikely to fall CV asleep while walking. Just have an afternoon nap when you arrive.

I get plenty of hardship walking a Camino without intentionally adding to it ;) ;)

Last edited:
I understand the argument that we all need to be tolerant in communal sleeping areas and have to put up with some disturbance. A certain level is inevitable. But I do find myself in some sympathy with the original post. I think that those who are aware that they are likely to make such excessive noise while they sleep should act responsibly and take all practical steps to minimise the disturbance to others. Even if that means choosing private rooms rather than dormitory accommodation. Personally I would be mortified to learn that I had been the cause of such disturbance to others.

The idea that other people's snoring, farts, getting up earlier than I do etc is "hardship" that contributes to my personal growth makes me actually giggle.

My rule has always been: I will happily sleep under the open sky provided the weather is ok-ish, in a tent put up on a meadow full of horse manure, in a tent when it's freezing outside, in any other tent with people snoring in the next tent, on a mattress cheek by jowl with men I've never met before snoring on the mattresses to the right and left of me, in a bunkbed, in a stone bed in a troglodyte house, in a huge tent with 25 other people snoring on camp beds ... all fine IF there is no other option.

On the Camino Frances there are plenty of other options. The idea that dormitory sleeping is a prerequisite for the "full pilgrimage experience" was and is alien to me.

OTOH, I fail to understand that people who must know that they are a considerable disturbance to the sleep of others because of their snoring or using a CPAP machine find it alright to stay in dormitories. I certainly wouldn't.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A loss of sleep in the Albergue at night is not really a problem as you are unlikely to fall CV asleep while walking. Just have an afternoon nap when you arrive.
The OP says that he is awake at 2 am so it is obviously not easily done for everyone. I know that I don't recuperate as quickly and easily as I did when I was younger and I seem to wake up more easily when there is a disturbance and take now longer to get back to sleep again. And aren't people who have been sleep deprived more accident prone and more likely to make a not so great decision?

Two friends of mine, much younger than I am, walked 10 days or 2 weeks from SJPP. One of them stayed in dormitories all the time, the other one said she needed to stay in a private room from time to time. I could hear the exhaustion and desperation in her voice when she told me about it later. And she had been used to hiking and trekking. So no, it's not so easily done for everyone.

I understand the argument that we all need to be tolerant in communal sleeping areas and have to put up with some disturbance. A certain level is inevitable. But I do find myself in some sympathy with the original post. I think that those who are aware that they are likely to make such excessive noise while they sleep should act responsibly and take all practical steps to minimise the disturbance to others. Even if that means choosing private rooms rather than dormitory accommodation. Personally I would be mortified to learn that I had been the cause of such disturbance to others.

This is an incredibly obvious retort but I feel compelled to air it anyway. It's great saying just get a single room, but in doing so you're literally doubling, maybe more the cost of a camino and for me at least that would be prohibitive. I don't think there are that many of us who stay at albergues who do so because we love sleeping in large rooms full of strangers, it's a financially expedient compromise that allows us to do what we love/feel called to do.

I'm told I'm not in the snoring elite but I certainly do snore, sometimes worse than others and while mortified may be a stretch I do (and I imagine I speak for almost all snorers) feel bad about it but it's something I don't have much control over. I've tried to mitigate it at source with various devices and had little joy so have resorted to offering earplugs to those around me who don't already have them.

In return for putting up with my snoring I put up with smells, space hogging, bag rustling, light shining, window opening/closing and all manner of annoyances (which are far more within the creator's control) with as much grace as I can muster.

So while I have huge sympathy with the OP, sleep deprivation is a torture technique after all, in this setting I don't think it's appropriate to expect the snorer to go and pay for private rooms. Unless you're offering to pay for me @Bradypus in which case I'll happily oblige :D

It's great saying just get a single room, but in doing so you're literally doubling, maybe more the cost of a camino and [...] that would be prohibitive. I don't think there are that many of us who stay at albergues who do so because we love sleeping in large rooms full of strangers, it's a financially expedient compromise that allows us to do what we love/feel called to do.
My comment is not directed at anyone in particular but I feel courageous this morning so I'm going to tackle this argument as it frequently appears in the threads. And of course someone will now cite cases that will counter what I'm going to say. What I'm going to say is that I don't buy it 🙃. Yes, this would create a hardship: no camino every year or every two years but only once in a while, only 400 km instead of 800 km .... Discuss! 😀

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a human being that doesn´t make any noise while slepping, we all do it , we all move, fark, sighed and do many others things and we never notice because we are assleep deeply.

there are more important things in this life and in this journey to be worried about.

Hi @Kathar1na

I shall take up the gauntlet, though I actually was writing my post before I saw yours.

My response is why should I the snorer not be welcome at the inn when smelly, rustley and light shiney (the three dwarves so bad they didn't make it into the Snow White story) are? And after the snorers are banished who will be next to be deemed beyond the pale?

If you want to start a no snorers albergue go for it, you'd probably do a roaring trade but until then we just have to get on as best we can with those around us.

Snorers bother me too but I see that as my problem rather than theirs.

I have something that I keep in my backpack for just such a situation. It's called tolerance - it works wonders for me.
Tolerance is wonderful - when we genuinely have it.
But sometimes we just don't.
And 'should' in that case is pointless and counterproductive. Because~
it's not so easily done for everyone.

On the Camino Frances there are plenty of other options. The idea that dormitory sleeping is a prerequisite for the "full pilgrimage experience" was and is alien to me.
That's like saying you must start in SJPP and walk to Roncesvalles via the Napoleon route.
It's a myth, propagated someplace off the camino. Albergues were originally meant for people who couldn't afford other lodging, not for everyone else.

And...
in this setting I don't think it's appropriate to expect the snorer to go and pay for private rooms.
I would tend to agree with you @Dorpje. If snoring is bothersome, then the onus is on the one being bothered to take care of him- or herself, rather than asking the world to conform to their unique needs. Especially as it relates to things others can't control, like snoring.

smelly, rustley and light shiney (the three dwarves so bad they didn't make it into the Snow White story)
🤣
My response is why should I the snorer not be welcome at the inn when smelly, rustley and light shiney [...] are? And after the snorers are banished who will be next to be deemed beyond the pale?
You shifted the argument from the question of affordability of private rooms versus dormitory beds to the question of who should cede grounds or be excluded - the snorer or the sleepless guy. Fair enough and I don't have the answer. There's no general "should", just a "what's wiser of me or better for me".

I peeked quickly into a popular camino guide to see whether there's sufficient preparation for the innocent newbie pilgrim who has perhaps no previous experience with sharing sleeping arrangements with mainly middle aged men and women and the realities of camino albergue life. Not much luck. Just this: Medieval pilgrims used every available bed regardless of whether or not it was an official hospital de peregrino. Yes, by all means stay in the recognised hostels and meet up with fellow pilgrims and share news, but don't become reliant solely on these hostels. Spread your inner and outer wealth.

Well, I'd say amen to that. 🙃

After 9 years of Caminos and for the last 4 years I have been checking into private rooms. I know I snore and it affects others so for a few extra $ I get a room, and sometimes a private bath :) Now when I walk into a bunkhouse, I shudder, and do the moonwalk outta there. And in a private, I get a good night of relaxing sleep knowing I can only wake myself.

To my dismay and embarrassment, as I have got older, I have started snoring. I always carry extra earplugs and offer them to anyone in a bunk nearby who does not have them. My 14 year old daughter has come up with a solution, however. I take the top bunk, she takes the bottom one, and when I start snoring, she pushes my bunk from underneath, I turn over and the snoring stops. If I start the process loud enough to wake her, she repeats the action. My own method of dealing with snorers is to enjoy enough vino tinto and a shot or two of oroujo.. to produce a deep sleep. I would suggest you get mildly sozzled each night before bed...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My own method of dealing with snorers is to enjoy enough vino tinto and a shot or two of oroujo.. to produce a deep sleep. I would suggest you get mildly sozzled each night before bed...
Great.;)
Getting sozzled increases the likelihood of snoring.
So maybe the drinker sleeps better but others may not.

🤣

You shifted the argument from the question of affordability of private rooms versus dormitory beds to the question of who should cede grounds or be excluded - the snorer or the sleepless guy.

An excellent point. Like a bad politician I was far more interested in making my point than actually answering the question. It wasn't on purpose....honest!

But to answer the question I could reply- well why doesn't the light sleeper save their pennies for a private room? Either way there is a supposition that someone is in the wrong and has to change to fit the others wants/needs.

On an anecdotal and personal note; once every 7-10 days or so on Camino I will stay in a private room for the night to recharge the batteries and help me better tolerate the bad dwarves when in albergues.

I have been known to snore when sleeping on my back. I find that wearing one of these hair clips on the back of my head is effective at keeping me on my side.
Screenshot_20190505-053625_Firefox.jpg
Those without hair can try sewing a pocket on the back of a t-shirt and putting a tennis ball in it trick.

I’m in Pontevedra, coming towards the end of my second Camino, walking from Porto to Santiago.

I loved the albergue life on my Francés walk last autumn, only affected by loud snorers on a couple of occasions, as my earplugs pretty much did the trick.

This time, I’ve got a cough and a cold and I know that means I’m snoring (I don’t normally) and I’m waking up coughing.

That disturbed the sleep of my fellow pilgrims in the albergue I stayed in on my second night in Vila do Conde

Since then, I’ve been in private rooms, as much as for the benefit of my fellows, as for mine.

It’s been a different Camino, for that reason.

I can afford the extra cost, but I do miss the communal aspect of albergue living.

But it’s the right thing to do.

The cough is still hanging around, so I guess that’s the way it’s going to be this time.

Yeah, those snorers, both men and women, can be noisy. Maybe they should be banned from all albergues. For good measure maybe those after 10 PM talkers, drinkers, coughers, night terror people, old guys getting up to use the bathroom, insomniacs, getting up for a smoke people, should also be banned. Wait, then it would be a hotel room. Missing would also be the joy of sharing Camino stories and the Spirit of the Camino. It has been this way a very long time. Blessing on you, Zordmot that you come back to Camino. Six time Camino veteran.

There are many many many options to sleeping in dormitories, all along the Camino, including private rooms in Albergues. I have done various caminos, including the Frances (twice). If you can walk a reasonable distance, you can find a private room EVERY night on every one of the Caminos I have been on. Sorry for your sleep deprivation. But don’t worry, your disendorsement will not damage the reputation of the Camino nor reduce the number of walkers who love it.

Dear Friend,
I understand and empathize with your frustration and dissatisfaction. These feelings are easy to feel given the circumstances. It is seems a rather normal expectation that others who have personal issues would plan their Camino in such a way that it does not disrupt the Caminos of those without personal problems. But, I have often sat back and thought, "There, but for the grace of God, go I."
I feel great pity for those who struggle for what is required each day - a decent night's sleep. I don't know their financial situation or the reasons/motivations for their being on Camino. I try to say a little prayer for them that their challenges would be lightened for the rest of their pilgrimage. I will control only what I can - I will use ear plugs nightly, I will try to be aware of those with issues that are hard for me and avoid them in the future, and I will try to do something thoughtful and kind for them the next day where and when possible.
Lastly, the Camino will call you back - she always does - follow your heart when that sweet, gentle call comes.
Very wise counsel

When we rode the Camino, we stayed in mixed albergues most nights. The snoring is just something you accept. We did invest in ear plugs but found they weren't very effective 😆. My husband snores occasionally and one night he was in the bunk above mine. I thought it was him starting up a crescendo so kicked the top mattress. A very annoyed husband whispered "it's not me" :eek:. What I found much more disturbing is when we stayed in large cities and, having retired to bed early because we were so exhausted, being woken up by people outside the albergue talking loudly as they passed. And heavy rain! Oh my goodness. But all in all, it's part of the experience and definitely not something to make you not want to walk (or ride) the Camino.

My sympathies, this is never easy. If you have the possibility to move to private accomodation, please do so and catch up with your sleeping. Everyone is different, and lack of sleep affects us all, but in different ways. So if you need two days to recover, take two days.
The obvious solution would be to use earplugs. Personally, I can't stand them, I'll wake up after a few hours totally desoriented and in my panic I may wake up others before remembering where I am.

It seems to me several can-do's on the Camino have turned into must-do's. No pilgrim is obliged to sleep in albergues if they don't want to, and their pilgrimage will still be a valuable one with different encounters and experiences. It is hard to see a problem there.

If you are rested and looking forward to another good night of uninterrupted sleep, it will be a lot easier to sympathise with sufferers affected by the many conditions that plague this earth.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You sound very tired and grumpy. Please know that the universe is not out to get you. Buy some good earplugs and consider how you can think kindly and with consiideration towards others when it's difficult. The Camino teaches so many valuable lessons especially not to take everything personally. I developed a very loud ringing in my right ear a couple of years ago. After celebrating a pity party I decided to imagine the buzzing was the sound of the ocean and now instead of keeping me awake the buzzing lulls me to sleep. Ask yourself how you can turn this challenge into something you can be proud of.

Treatable? Not so sure.
My wife and I have it......

But we don't stay in Albergues. ;)
With a CPAP machine. I have seen plenty of pilgrims use them at night.

Snoring is a serious medical problem and I hope all snorers get checked. To the ones who say I’m not going to use a machine because I have to get up frequently in the night, a CPAP May cure that problem. The reason you get up is because your are not getting enough oxygen so your little brain takes the oxygen and deprives your bladder of oxygen so it gets confused and makes you think you have to pee. My husband was a snorer who got up 5-6 times a night. With a CPAP, which took a few nights to get used to, doesn’t get up for at least 6-7 hrs. Now he still keeps me awake because it’s so quiet I’m always checking to see if he’s still breathing😲. What’s the solution? I don’t think it will be solved here but everyone knows it happens so plan what YOU want to do for yourself. As very light sleeper, I’ll get my own room and enjoy the Camino and not complain or embarrass someone.

Stay in hotels . That us what I am doing .

@KinkyOne I don’t know...I’ve been an early riser since childhood and though I have been criticised for it a lot as though it’s a terrible moral failure, at 42 I have to resign myself that it’s not likely to ever change. I just wake up at 4:30/5am and feel bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to go! But I can honestly say that I have never woken anyone up (unless I wanted to 😈).

But I flag early in the evening and very often find myself yawning my head off by 8pm.

I am one of those too! Internal clock set at 5 a.m.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Personally I would be mortified to learn that I had been the cause of such disturbance to others.

Before starting out on my first Camino I downloaded a snore app to check if I am a snorer. I am😱...and especially when tired and after a few vino tintos. I did extensive research on portable devices that could suited my odd shaped mouth and found ‘Good night snore solution’. I used this along with the snore app for a month before I started the Camino. Success! I now never travel without it and would be so embarrassed meeting perigrinos next day if I had inadvertently kept them awake. My budget doesn’t stretch to private rooms.

I am surprised that everyone who replied to this post so far seems to consider that booking a private room will solve sleep problems. I do not do so frequently because of my budget and my preference for a long camino (more cost for a place to sleep); but I did so prior to my last camino, as I was waiting for the date to begin my time as a hospitalera. Inexpensive private rooms can be just as noisy as dormitories. This is partly because of the type of accommodation: wooden floors and doors etc., and partly because of the different daily schedules in Spain. Guests returning from late night meals do not keep their voices down in hostals. Why should they? Everyone else is on the same daily schedule. One couple was arguing so noisily that they woke the baby, who howled. On another occasion, in a hotel in Santo Domingo de Silos, the couple in the next room celebrated their weekend away with energetic coupling, which drew from me amused giggles rather than annoyance. I regret to state that the only place where you have any control as to the nighttime noise is your own bedroom at home, if you can afford to plan your housing with that in mind. I use earplugs, when I need to. They work, but they can cause problems: earaches and plugged ears for me. Still, I prefer to sleep and would be just as desperate as Zordmot if I could not do so. Two possible solutions: Are these the same group of champion snorers? If so, try to get out of synch with them. Let them go ahead while you take one night in a quieter off-camino hostal. Or you could transfer to a less-travelled route, where you would usually share your dormitory with a small number of people and have a better chance of getting some sleep. With ear plugs, of course, if you can tolerate them. I use wax ones and find that they do block out most noise. I wish you, and all those innocent snorers, a buen camino and a chance to choose to return, if this is right for you.

I think I have lived long enough to realize that there is nothing in this world other than eating and sleeping that is for everyone.
There is nothing wrong with not liking Camino for any reason.
I am sure there are something you would like to do. Don’t feel bad; we all are human.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most of us posting here about tolerance and "go with the flow," etc are writing from the comfort of our own homes, after having had a good night's sleep. It should be noted that, with hard physical days and lack of sleep night after night, I bet most of us have been where the OP is: grumpy and swearing off the Camino for good at some point. As for tolerance, we should probably be understanding of those using this forum to rant occasionally from the field. I think I made a similar, outraged post once from the Camino, wanting to murder people using perfumed sprays and menthol foot lotions in the albergue. The OP may feel very differently about all this tomorrow.

I hear ya, Zordmot! May you get a good night's rest tonight!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most of us posting here about tolerance and "go with the flow," etc are writing from the comfort of our own homes, after having had a good night's sleep. It should be noted that, with hard physical days and lack of sleep night after night, I bet most of us have been where the OP is: grumpy and swearing off the Camino for good at some point. As for tolerance, we should probably be understanding of those using this forum to rant occasionally from the field. I think I made a similar, outraged post once from the Camino, wanting to murder people using perfumed sprays and menthol foot lotions in the albergue. The OP may feel very differently about all this tomorrow.

I hear ya, Zordmot! May you get a good night's rest tonight!
I wish you good sleep tonight

...Just have an afternoon nap when you arrive.
Exactly one of the reasons why people are awaken by snorers because they already got some (half?) amount of the needed daily sleep and their sleep during the night just isn't as sound as it would be without afternoon nap. Just sayin' :)

So while I have huge sympathy with the OP, sleep deprivation is a torture technique after all, in this setting I don't think it's appropriate to expect the snorer to go and pay for private rooms. Unless you're offering to pay for me @Bradypus in which case I'll happily oblige :D
Couldn't agree more with all you said in your post.
A comment to your last paragraph. I always ask hospitaleros if they have special "snorers" rooms/dormitories and indeed there were some of the albergues with them. But much more often hospitaleros answered that it is not MY problem if I snore but others. Kind of rude but it is what it is.

I have absolute sympathy for OP and his sleep deprivation, it is a form of torture .... However, everyone who does not snore or have apnea need to understand that those of us who do have 24/7/365 sleep deprivation. The repetitive lack of oxygen during ones sleep does cause frequent wakings for bladder emptying. Frequent wakings also create a lack of REM sleep which is important for ones well being. The lack of deep sleep and the deprivation of oxygen leave me at HIGH risk for heart attack and stroke. I already have prediabetes and HTN, cognitive/memory issues, grumpiness, wake with headaches, and am overweight, all comorbidities of sleep apnea. Doctors recommend that losing weight would help the apnea but guess what....sleep apnea stress on my body makes it nearly impossible to lose weight. I snore and have apneac episodes while sleeping sitting up, lying on my side or back. So the tennis ball, hair clip, sleep number elevating bed do not work for my situation. CPAP machines do make a certain amount of noise so using one can disturb others in the room. Portable CPAP machines cost $200-$800. I also have concerns about how hygienic the machines really are. You are forcing warm, moist air into one's nose/mouth. When I used one my allergies were worse.
I am blessed to have a small inheritance from my recently deceased parents which make my Camino possible this year instead of waiting. Praying for them is one of my reasons for this Camino. Their gift will make possible the ability to afford private rooms to spare anyone suffering from my sleep problems. I do realize that having a private room will decrease my ability to enjoy the camaraderie of pilgrims that occurs when one stays at an alburgue but I will try to make up for it by being more extroverted myself. (a personal torture as I am usually greatly introverted). I am also prepared to ignore comments I may encounter about not being a "real pilgrim" because I will be staying in lodging other than communal bunk rooms.
That said, I am looking forward to an amazing Camino that will open my Heart and make my Soul more porous than I can ever imagine. Buen Camino to you all on your camino through life.

I do snore myself which I have been told is very loud and also has great variations of sounds . Which is why when my two Amigos and myself embark on a Camino we opt for private accommodation and we alternate the sleeping arrangements each night, giving at least one person a good night's sleep.
We are on the Portuguese Coastal Camino at this moment and my two Amigos are very happy with this arrangement.
Don't give up the Camino, think of a different approach. Best wishes, whatever you choose.

There are snorers, and then there are SNORERS. Everyone snores from time to time, some people are abnormally loud. I dont know how they would not know that unless they have never ever slept near anyone else.
My husband is a legendary snorer. He was once asked to move his tent in a camping ground because EVERYONE in the camping ground complained, after all they have all paid the same fees. There was a line at the camp office the next morning, they had tracked down the source of the racket and were demanding action.
He thought it was funny, I have to live with that so I know how un-funny it actually is for everyone else. Sleep deprivation is used as torture.

Have you seen how much portable CPAP machines cost?
Yes, and having carried one in 2016, I was disappointed to find that people were intolerant of the relatively low level of white noise it made. There was no apparent consideration of the fact that I was lumping almost another kg of CPAP equipment with me with in order to avoid the disruption my snoring might have caused.

The experience reconfirmed my simple position on this matter. The albergues are for everyone. If you don't find anything about them to your liking, you are the one that needs to address that. If that means that you have to pay for a private room, that is the price of your preferences. Don't ever think that you have some entitlement to move those costs to someone else.

It also confirmed that I am not going to lump that thing around with me except when I am travelling with my spouse, for whom I am prepared to make the extra effort. The rest of you have now been tarred with the brush of a couple of really intolerant and inconsiderate pilgrims. Unfair? Clearly. But that is how it is!

Came to an idea what to do as a snorer. Walk into the dorm and explain that you are Olympic class snorer and that you are more than willing to move to a private room in a pension but you can't afford it. I'm sure everyone in that dorm would donate 1€ or even more. Soon you'll get enough for a private accommodation and problem solved :D

If it won't work on the first day it'll work like a charm on the second ;)

I guess OP was venting. He already found his solution. ...I will not do this again.
We all make noises.
You can’t deal with it for whatever reasons find a different solution for yourself. Nobody is responsible for involuntary noises.
Hopeful next time when I am fighting for my life and making strange noises during my asthma attack I do not inconvenience anybody. LOL
And when I am sleeping next to Darth Wader I just think how blessed I am.

Last edited:
I have absolute sympathy for OP and his sleep deprivation, it is a form of torture .... However, everyone who does not snore or have apnea need to understand that those of us who do have 24/7/365 sleep deprivation. The repetitive lack of oxygen during ones sleep does cause frequent wakings for bladder emptying. Frequent wakings also create a lack of REM sleep which is important for ones well being. The lack of deep sleep and the deprivation of oxygen leave me at HIGH risk for heart attack and stroke. I already have prediabetes and HTN, cognitive/memory issues, grumpiness, wake with headaches, and am overweight, all comorbidities of sleep apnea. Doctors recommend that losing weight would help the apnea but guess what....sleep apnea stress on my body makes it nearly impossible to lose weight. I snore and have apneac episodes while sleeping sitting up, lying on my side or back. So the tennis ball, hair clip, sleep number elevating bed do not work for my situation. CPAP machines do make a certain amount of noise so using one can disturb others in the room. Portable CPAP machines cost $200-$800. I also have concerns about how hygienic the machines really are. You are forcing warm, moist air into one's nose/mouth. When I used one my allergies were worse.
I am blessed to have a small inheritance from my recently deceased parents which make my Camino possible this year instead of waiting. Praying for them is one of my reasons for this Camino. Their gift will make possible the ability to afford private rooms to spare anyone suffering from my sleep problems. I do realize that having a private room will decrease my ability to enjoy the camaraderie of pilgrims that occurs when one stays at an alburgue but I will try to make up for it by being more extroverted myself. (a personal torture as I am usually greatly introverted). I am also prepared to ignore comments I may encounter about not being a "real pilgrim" because I will be staying in lodging other than communal bunk rooms.
That said, I am looking forward to an amazing Camino that will open my Heart and make my Soul more porous than I can ever imagine. Buen Camino to you all on your camino through life.

A couple of points if I may: I am not sure where you reside but $200 to $800 for a cpap machine seems a little on the light side. Especially if you wish to get the "travelling" type which tends to be more compact and more expensive. As far as the warm moist air is concerned; I travel with the humidifier half of the cpap removed. This lessens the weight considerably and means that I am breathing in the same air as I would without the machine. Most machines are designed to readily remove the humidifier for cleaning and so it is easily done. Lastly, if working properly, the air flow in a cpap machine is not an overwhelming noise and often not louder than the typical ambient noise of an albergue room. There was a person on the forum who indicated that she tried to get next to a cpap user as the soft flow of air was soothing. To each their
own I guess. As a sleep apnea sufferer, carrying the extra weight of the cpap is my attempt to take into consideration the affect on others and try and alleviate some of the effects I have on my fellow travellers.

P.S. I am never sure when to use Affect and Effect. So I used both.;)

I hope things have gotten better since your post. We've all been weary pilgrims and some of us also know the struggle of sleepless nights. I find it unfortunate that people have to leave sarcastic comments.
My bottom line is that I know your pain. I use albergues for two or three nights in a row, then I might switch to a private room when I could tell I needed a better night's sleep.
There are mainly physical pains on the camino. You'll get through it and probably be better for it.
Buen Camino.
Best of luck.

I must say I laughed a lot from this post.

When I walk there were zero bag wrestlers or other loud people. Lol. I sleep like the dead for 6-10 hours once I am asleep. How ever I do wake for so alarms.

The the horror of other I play about 30 minutes of classical music to fall asleep and not on headphones. I only find snores to be a problem during this critical 30 minute time frame as such I tried to go to bed earlier than other in the dorm.
However I have my own problems in large drops, sleepwalking and be very violent for 30 seconds if woken up. My terrible sleeping habits had means my friend and me last out of the albergue most mornings.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love not having a lot of stuff. At home, I'm an artistic wreck.
I'm an artistic wreck (although it seems chaos to others it's order for me) all the time, wherever I am. That's why I'm always the last one to leave the albergue in the morning. It really wouldn't be fair to others to be both snorer AND bag rustler :D

Have you seen how much portable CPAP machines cost? No. All I am saying is that true sleep apnoea is life-threatening, and diagnosed sufferers use CPAPs.

I have been known to snore when sleeping on my back. I find that wearing one of these hair clips on the back of my head is effective at keeping me on my side.
View attachment 56730
Those without hair can try sewing a pocket on the back of a t-shirt and putting a tennis ball in it trick.
Great idea! I snore on my back too-- I ask my son to poke me and ask me to roll over if I'm snoring. I'll try the hair clip. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wait until you get to Sarria as that's when the school groups often start out.

My very first Camino I started in Sarria just to get a feel for the walk and I loved it and have returned a few times. But, at a lovely alburgue in Ferreiros where I ended up staying that first night, there was a party of schoolboys and two of their teachers I believe they were. They had a large separate room and they were very loud. I mean VERY!

Anyway, there were quite a few of us in other rooms and the murmurs started, a few expletives, then a few started to get very angry at these kids and their teachers as it was getting very late. So to stop the noise I went up to the door of their dormitory, banged very loudly on it and yelled, 'Silencio!' (spelling?). Dead silence and they were quiet for the rest of the night.

I thank God l didn't encounter them again.

Somewhere I read a suggestion to breath in time with the snorers. I also kept pondering the evolutionary advantage of snoring - to keep us safe from predators?

I tried the breathing suggestion while on a camino last year, & continued pondering on evolutionary advantage, through many an albergue, I found both ideas worked a treat. They settled and calmed me, and I came to enjoy the rhythms & variety of snores, noticing when one stopped, how often another started. My sense of a high level of unconscious communication occurring through the whole range of these sounds developed.

I came to enjoy and appreciate my “caves of bears”, doing their best to keep us all safe. And sometimes as I settled and really focused on joining my breathing with theirs, the whole room became silent 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, and having carried one in 2016, I was disappointed to find that people were intolerant of the relatively low level of white noise it made. There was no apparent consideration of the fact that I was lumping almost another kg of CPAP equipment with me with in order to avoid the disruption my snoring might have caused.

The experience reconfirmed my simple position on this matter. The albergues are for everyone. If you don't find anything about them to your liking, you are the one that needs to address that. If that means that you have to pay for a private room, that is the price of your preferences. Don't ever think that you have some entitlement to move those costs to someone else.

Totally agree with you.

I know that I sleep poorly walking Caminos, (yes, all 20+!) for whatever reason that may be. I am consoled by the fact that I sleep perfectly when at home and so I accept the broken nights. In April I took the experience to the next level:

I was staying in the municipal in Arzúa, joining the Francés after walking the Primitivo. The albergue was packed with young Spanish in a partying mood, hoping to reach Santiago by Easter .10 p.m. curfew? Don't think so. Across the street locals were chatting till about 1 a.m., then began the Flamenco singing! To top it all off I was sleeping between 2 snorers, me awake from 9:30 till 2 a.m. I finally gave up the prospect of sleeping and actually got up and walked to Santiago at 3 a.m. :eek: By 6:30 I had coffee in Pedrouzo and at 10:30 I was standing in front of the Cathedral after a 39 km stroll ;).Granted, this might not be your cup of tea but it was an interesting experience. The previous night had been a full moon so I rarely even needed by head lamp. Just me, the moon, the occasional barking dog, birds chirping and frogs...hmm, what do frogs do?

But don’t worry, your disendorsement will not damage the reputation of the Camino nor reduce the number of walkers who love it.
But may keep people who won't enjoy it from walking - which is good.
Somewhere I read a suggestion to breath in time with the snorers. I also kept pondering the evolutionary advantage of snoring - to keep us safe from predators?

I tried the breathing suggestion while on a camino last year, & continued pondering on evolutionary advantage, through many an albergue, I found both ideas worked a treat. They settled and calmed me, and I came to enjoy the rhythms & variety of snores, noticing when one stopped, how often another started. My sense of a high level of unconscious communication occurring through the whole range of these sounds developed.

I came to enjoy and appreciate my “caves of bears”, doing their best to keep us all safe. And sometimes as I settled and really focused on joining my breathing with theirs, the whole room became silent 😊
I prefer to have several snorers in the room rather than just one, because they tend to fill in the gaps between the other snorers, and (hopefully) it becomes more like white noise. 😊

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.