• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I probably won’t do this again

May I prescribe a simple fix: walk 25km/ride 50km a day, drink vino tinto and insert silicon ear plugs at night. I never heard a thing, woke up at 7am and didn't even know most of the early risers had already left.

I've tried that................never heard a thing.
Except everyone complained I snored! :eek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a case of rhinitis, I´ll grunt and take the whole house !!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It’s unfortunate that you have not understood that the Camino has seen many people walk it for over a thousand years. Some of them are/were sick. If you needed a vacation then go to Hawaii.
Love it!! There are a couple of people in this forum who truly do not get the true meaning of the Camino and are perhaps a bit too snobbish for it (dirty hippies, loud snoring). I would suggest that people with such delicate sensibilities book private accommodations all along the way.

@KinkyOne I don’t know...I’ve been an early riser since childhood and though I have been criticised for it a lot as though it’s a terrible moral failure, at 42 I have to resign myself that it’s not likely to ever change. I just wake up at 4:30/5am and feel bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to go! But I can honestly say that I have never woken anyone up (unless I wanted to 😈).

But I flag early in the evening and very often find myself yawning my head off by 8pm.
Snoring can't be helped, but obliviousness is optional.
It's the people who live in their own little selfish bubbles that get me.
And. Loud snorers can definitely mean no sleep...so @Zordmot, why not take a few nights of well-earned rest in private accommodation?

The big picure is that things happen - and we have no choice in the matter.
But we have the choice to grow with the challenges that we face, or not.
So it's up to you @Zordmot , stay or go. But I bet if you find a way to stay the course, you won't regret it.
Well said!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ smell that gaseous release and raise it with a middle-of-night blood curdling nightmarish scream.
The last time that I stayed at the parish albergue in El Acebo, a young woman shouted out something in the middle of the night, which woke up everyone in the place, except herself and the hospitalero (at least, he didn't poke his nose out of his private room). Night time disturbances in albergues are fairly common, and often do not disturb those who make them. We have to get used to them.

Last edited:
I am surprised that everyone who replied to this post so far seems to consider that booking a private room will solve sleep problems. I do not do so frequently because of my budget and my preference for a long camino (more cost for a place to sleep); but I did so prior to my last camino, as I was waiting for the date to begin my time as a hospitalera. Inexpensive private rooms can be just as noisy as dormitories. This is partly because of the type of accommodation: wooden floors and doors etc., and partly because of the different daily schedules in Spain. Guests returning from late night meals do not keep their voices down in hostals. Why should they? Everyone else is on the same daily schedule. One couple was arguing so noisily that they woke the baby, who howled. On another occasion, in a hotel in Santo Domingo de Silos, the couple in the next room celebrated their weekend away with energetic coupling, which drew from me amused giggles rather than annoyance. I regret to state that the only place where you have any control as to the nighttime noise is your own bedroom at home, if you can afford to plan your housing with that in mind. I use earplugs, when I need to. They work, but they can cause problems: earaches and plugged ears for me. Still, I prefer to sleep and would be just as desperate as Zordmot if I could not do so. Two possible solutions: Are these the same group of champion snorers? If so, try to get out of synch with them. Let them go ahead while you take one night in a quieter off-camino hostal. Or you could transfer to a less-travelled route, where you would usually share your dormitory with a small number of people and have a better chance of getting some sleep. With ear plugs, of course, if you can tolerate them. I use wax ones and find that they do block out most noise. I wish you, and all those innocent snorers, a buen camino and a chance to choose to return, if this is right for you.
Sadly, I must agree. With the exception of my first night at Orrison, my travel buddy and I had private rooms (most very nice accommodations) all the way to Santiago. She was a snorer. I also had to contend with the pilgrims who would stay up late drinking in nearby bars, traffic, etc.

As others have said, it's all a part of the experience and the learning process. Each day as I walked, I prayed to God for "patience, kindness, tolerance and love". It was my mantra. It worked!

As I lay here in my 7th albergue awake at 2 am after walking 27 km yesterday, each night has been the same: the room is dominated not by snorers but by people with sleep apnea- a severe medical untreated medical condition. The asleep person 4 ft away from me is in a marathon struggle for survival and sounds at as loud as a chain saw. I can hear two others in this room in the same boat. Why oh why do these people who know what their sleeping does to others stay in albergues? We all sympathize for their condition—although it is treatable-but this lack of consideration for others is mind boggling to me. For this reason I won’t be walking again and I can’t recommend the Camino to others.
I had considerable trouble sleeping with all the snoring, bathroom runs, and early early risers as I am a light sleeper. So much so that I started having nightmares for the lack of sleep and eventually ended up waking others up with my nightmare noises, LOL. Twice was enough for me - after about 1/2 way I started staying in private rooms, casa ruals, and 2 star hotels. No more sleep problems!! Magic!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As I lay here in my 7th albergue awake at 2 am after walking 27 km yesterday, each night has been the same: the room is dominated not by snorers but by people with sleep apnea- a severe medical untreated medical condition. The asleep person 4 ft away from me is in a marathon struggle for survival and sounds at as loud as a chain saw. I can hear two others in this room in the same boat. Why oh why do these people who know what their sleeping does to others stay in albergues? We all sympathize for their condition—although it is treatable-but this lack of consideration for others is mind boggling to me. For this reason I won’t be walking again and I can’t recommend the Camino to others.
Such a shame you have so many alternatives for accommodations on the Camino if you just try one you might change your mind and they are relatively inexpensive

Ok... here is my two cents and a question. In 2017 I walked the Camion from SJPP putting up with rain, freezing temps, snoring, farting, rustling, and all the above "annoyances". I loved sleeping in albergues. I really did. Do I snore? I've never been told I do, but I have another "annoying" problem that I worry about disturbing others... I have to get up several times a night to go you know where? I try my best to be quiet but short of wetting the bed, I have no choice. I try to be as quiet as I can. Anyway, I understand we, as humans, are not perfect. My above Camino was cut short in Astorga due to bursitis in both heels (some of you may remember me writing about it). I swore I would never do a Camino again. I came back very angry and feeling like a failure. Not because someone was snoring, or farting, or anything else, only because of my own body. Well, the Camino has called me back. I originally was going to start in Astorga but have decided to start over at SJPP. I will train harder, see what I can do about my feet, and yes, will stay in albergues. Here is my question. Can anyone suggest a good earplug? Or are they all good, just not for me. I tried several different ones and they always fall out (perhaps my ears are shaped funny). Have a year to experiment... going back to SJPP in 2020 if the good Lord is willing and my body holds out. I apologize to anyone in advance if my night time bathroom runs disturb you. Seriously, because I can't afford, and don't want, private accommodations

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi zordmot. Sorry to here of your decison not to do another Camino. I completed the Camino last Oct 18. And I snored the whole way Thu it. I often get embarrassed about my snoring.i also got sleep apnea. I can snore for Ireland. When I went to the alburgues. I also said I snored. Always got a bed far away. But as they pack up people get nearer. I plan to do the complete Camino in Oct/Nov 19. And I plan to use my CPAP machine. I will carry this. I even got an operation. Which made this worce. I also know now that I'm not the only one who snores. And even not the loudest. So don't give up. For me the Camino has be one of the best things I have ever done. And met the most fantastic people. And had some of the best laughs I ever had.i can't wait but I'll have to. Beun Camino.

snoring may in fact be an adaptation to protect humans from animal harm at night - group snoring may in fact deter more effectively than single snoring - we are just returning to our human communal form perhaps and it is not easy. OR, as this quote suggests“Snorers in herds may have a selective advantage, sleeping soundly while the rest are disturbed“ lol, I never would have thought of that one! But, like others have said, you can just stay at an inexpensive hotel - but maybe you are just not a fan of the camino and that is cool too.

Last edited:
Just back from 7 weeks of albergues.
I was extremely surprised that I seemed to be able to sleep with snorers, farters, coughers, stinkers, pukers, squeaking beds, people who set their alarm at 5 am and many other things. Oh yes things woke me up. And sometimes I was surprised that all beds around me were empty when I woke up. The most quiet night I had in a room with 90 beds, all full, with even children sleeping there.
It was my Camino. The Camino where I learned to accept. I wish you many great nights - awake or asleep 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Horizontal learning curve or just venting. We are all with you.
I did not get drafted into the Camino. Did you sign up for it?
No being able to sleep does not bring in out the best in me, on the other hand had many of sleepless nights for far more serious reasons. But that is me..
So hope you find a way to make it work for you. Be good to yourself. Less ks nap along the way. Go to sleep early, before the hordes come. Earphones with Natur sounds....

When we have have had a bad night, we try and find a small hotel or b and b to get a good night's sleep. Things always feel better when you have had a good sleep.

We never stayed in an albergue just for that reason, thankfully our budget allowed us a room with a toilet every night. However, I think we may have missed the camaraderie of meeting people.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Even if you think you aren't guilty of snoring and disturbing others, you probably do. In a youth hostel in Paris on my way home, I was awakened by a woman who gently shook me and said, "Madame, you are snoreeeng, please change your position!" Still mostly asleep, I remember replying, "Oh dear me, I am terribly sorry." And turned over. There weren't other complaints that night. I think a little polite reminder can do wonders. Also, remember that the chances of your really not being a snorer are miniscule.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
“I will never do this again”. Yes that is what I said also after completing the Frances. Then within two months of being back home started thinking about doing it again.
OMG. This is so me. Though I did not say it because I was annoyed. It was the idea of 44 days away and walking everyday, etc. But as soon as I got home I changed my tune within a matter of weeks. I long to be back there for another 44 days, walking everyday, etc.

I understand your frustration! I walked my first (so far only) Caminho before I discovered I have MSA (Mixed Sleep Apnea). I probably kept others up and didn't even realize it.

On my Caminho, I stayed one night in a dorm-style setting albergue. That was enough for me. It's not my "thing." I found relatively inexpensive places to stay and enjoyed them much better. But then, I was on a quest to be alone, so the purpose in your journey makes a difference.

Back to the apnea...in general I found the Caminho much like flying these days - anyone can fly, and anyone can walk a Camino! In other words, "It's all out there!" I don't recommend you give up but rather find the journey that more aligns with who you are as best you can.

I think perhaps you should have continued with your Camino and stayed in other private accommodation and hopefully you would have found the peace and solace to understand others?

Ear plugs and an eye mask are essential when staying in albergues, in my experience. I know the frustration of not being able to sleep with the noise from others.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also, remember that the chances of your really not being a snorer are miniscule.
I am definitely not a snorer ........... many nights. I know this because I check it on my snoring app. Other nights my snoring can get to ‘epic’ levels. I can find neither rhyme nor reason for this fluctuation; I have tried everything. Staying in a private room is no guarantee that I will not disturb those in adjacent rooms. That I might disturb others is mortifying to me.

Wow, what a thread. Snorers, farters, grunters are just background noise. This conversation has reminded me of hiking the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island, Canada. I was sitting on a log next to my campfire one morning enjoying my cowboy coffee as two young woman walked by and I greeted them with a happy " good morning". One of the women stopped and snarled "what's so good about this morning?"
I was a bit taken aback and said "well, the sun is shining, my coffee tastes great" and she blurted out " but did you sleep last night with the roar of the waves constantly sounding as if they were going to wash you away?"
She turned and headed off and I wanted to yell " why are you here?" But I didn't. You take what the trail/camino gives you. Be thankful that you are out there.
I think just about every solution to the problem has been posted so far.
Buen camino

In my youth, we lived under a church tower in a sleepy town.
Many of our family guests said they´d never come back again for that blasted racket of the bells every quarter of an hour.
further down in town there was the sound of the diesel trains going south every hour on the hour...starting and stopping at the station.....
you can get used to a lot of things.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In my youth, we lived under a church tower in a sleepy town.
Many of our family guests said they´d never come back again for that blasted racket of the bells every quarter of an hour.

My mum also lives right by the church in a sleepy town renowned for its artful bell ringing. So not only it happens every quarter of an hour but it’s practically a full concert every time. 😂

But it’s funny how you get so used to it that you don’t notice it at all when you live there.

- but when I hear my fat tomcat hits the floorboars downstairs after he´s scoured the kitchen table, I sit up and go downstais to check for burglars !!
I am a sleeping nightduty staff in an institution and I hear everything irregular!!

Strrrange !!

My mum also lives right by the church in a sleepy town renowned for its artful bell ringing. So not only it happens every quarter of an hour but it’s practically a full concert every time. 😂

But it’s funny how you get so used to it that you don’t notice it at all when you live there.

I used to live under a flight path and planes would literally shake my house. I got used to it and slept through it often. Regarding snoring, yes I snore - I know because I have woken myself up! I also invest in earplugs whenever I travel. At least my snoring is nowhere near my father’s ability. He once had his pillow pulled out from under his head and was hit with it due to his racket!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have stayed in a hostel with a CPAP user who stored his machine on the floor next to his bunk. I’m the early hours one man stumbled over it on the way for an urgent bathroom visit and it went flying. Both men were in tears. In this case unless you have some kind of bedside table to hog, a private room may be an ultimately cheaper solution for the CPAP user.

And I also have to say though I don’t mind the white noise, the occasional alarm beep was quite startling.

?earplugs? ?Cellphone on YouTube channel for soothing sleep sounds? Small tape recorder with earplugs?

My husband and I, age 66 and 69, did our first camino ever on the Costa Portugale in March of this year (2019). Fortunately, neither of us snore, but at our age, we never, ever considered sharing sleeping facilities dormitory-style because after all, we have to make sure we get a good sleep if we are to go 15 miles a day. Why anyone would choose to stay in a dormitory with tons of others and noise I didn't understand. Waiting in line for a hot (hopefully) shower isn't my idea of a fun adventure. I get it though...a lot of folks see this trek as a spiritual journey, so part of that is suffering (sacrificing maybe a nicer word?). My daughter-in-law's 65 yr old mom did just that in Poland.: 160 miles sleeping on the ground or in people's barns or on the floor in homes...all strictly dependent on the generosity of the locals, including volunteers that feed them. Personally, there is no way I would like that. But for those of us who don't worry about the Compostella or certificate stamping, it is just a lovely way to be in touch with the countryside and foreign cities. I totally understand your annoyance, and I too, believe it is inconsiderate of these folks. Albergaues are best left to the younger folks as they are noisy, excited and can do with a lot less sleep! For those who say they can only afford that, it is totally not true! We carefully perused the B&B's and found very cheap ones for as little as 30 euros a night (for two) in Portugal. Often it was only the difference of $10 more a day, so multiply that by 15 days and that's an extra $150. Anyone investing in a trip like this can afford that little bit more to get privacy and a good sleep. Of course you miss the socializing, but you can get that on the road at cafes if you like. I hope you reconsider trying it again but staying in B&B's instead. We had a mix of B&B's and apartments with washing machines even and all 12 were fabulous with the exception of one (no hot water and bad food but the beauty of the property made up for it!) You can sleep in, get going when you want and have a peaceful rest ( promising that in some towns you'll be glad you have earplugs). Almost all these places serve a nice breakfast to get you going. 5 euros for coffee and pasteries, the European breakfasts. You pay more if you want a big breakfast The 145 miles we did was definitely challenging but we loved every day of it! We didn't socialize or hang with others except for a few chats here and there at cafes, and that's how we like it. Everyone was friendly and the challenge of progressing each day was a thrill for us. The coast of Portugal was exquisitely beautiful and the food delicious. Take a pause and consider doing it differently. We spent somewhere between 35-55 euros for our lovely places. In Portugal you can get a 3-course meal for two and a bottle of wine for $20 (American). We will have wonderful memories for the rest of our lives. We are actually thinking we would love to do another sometime if our health holds out. Good luck!

€60,-
But may keep people who won't enjoy it from walking - which is good.

I prefer to have several snorers in the room rather than just one, because they tend to fill in the gaps between the other snorers, and (hopefully) it becomes more like white noise. 😊
Just your handle "Dancing Rain" is enough to tell me you are a happy person..ha! The glass is always half full. You probably stand in front of the mirror every morning and say positive affirmations to yourself (and that is OK!) You are the perfect person for the Camino. I myself would go stark raving crazy listening all night to snorers but I have sense enough to find a B&B rather than deciding I will never do another Camino.

Why anyone would choose to stay in a dormitory with tons of others and noise I didn't understand. Waiting in line for a hot (hopefully) shower isn't my idea of a fun adventure.
I think that if you read a lot of threads on this forum with an open mind, you should be able to get a sense of what value and interesting joys there can be in the albergue experience. No one is saying it is always wonderful, but please don't dismiss it as being a black-and-white choice of suffering versus modern comfort. By the way, I am 70, a light sleeper, like my own space, and I am very pragmatic. I use a mix of accommodation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Totally agree with you.

I know that I sleep poorly walking Caminos, (yes, all 20+!) for whatever reason that may be. I am consoled by the fact that I sleep perfectly when at home and so I accept the broken nights. In April I took the experience to the next level:

I was staying in the municipal in Arzúa, joining the Francés after walking the Primitivo. The albergue was packed with young Spanish in a partying mood, hoping to reach Santiago by Easter .10 p.m. curfew? Don't think so. Across the street locals were chatting till about 1 a.m., then began the Flamenco singing! To top it all off I was sleeping between 2 snorers, me awake from 9:30 till 2 a.m. I finally gave up the prospect of sleeping and actually got up and walked to Santiago at 3 a.m. :eek: By 6:30 I had coffee in Pedrouzo and at 10:30 I was standing in front of the Cathedral after a 39 km stroll ;).Granted, this might not be your cup of tea but it was an interesting experience. The previous night had been a full moon so I rarely even needed by head lamp. Just me, the moon, the occasional barking dog, birds chirping and frogs...hmm, what do frogs do?
Somehow I gather you are not a senior hiker! Pretty funny. But I wouldn't recommend walking the Portugal camino in the moonlight as the uneven cobblestones would be very,very dangerous Once in Spain though, the going is easier. You certainly took this annoyance gracefully!

I think that if you read a lot of threads on this forum with an open mind, you should be able to get a sense of what value and interesting joys there can be in the albergue experience. No one is saying it is always wonderful, but please don't dismiss it as being a black-and-white choice of suffering versus modern comfort. By the way, I am 70, a light sleeper, like my own space, and I am very pragmatic. I use a mix of accommodation.
Sounds reasonable. But I did my purgatory when I was younger and now I love a little more luxury. It doesn't reduce the level of fun or enjoyment. I am glad there is a solution for everyone ha ha!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I thought that @loumura understands the reasons why people stay / are advised / like to stay in dormitory style albergues and sleep in dormitory beds quite well and also explained why she isn’t convinced by any of them for herself:
  • religious-Christian reasons (austere life, ideas of penance - not sure how up to date these concepts are in today’s theology and doctrine, not every branch of Christianity views it the same way but it doesn’t matter, the idea as such is still alive in popular faith and popular views)
  • spiritual reasons (similar to above, ascetic life gets you to a higher level or closer to your inner core or fosters personal growth)
  • economic reasons (cheap)
  • socialising/bonding reasons
  • it’s the thing to do on a camino, embodies the spirit of the camino.
Did I miss something?

Last edited:
Somehow I gather you are not a senior hiker! Pretty funny. But I wouldn't recommend walking the Portugal camino in the moonlight as the uneven cobblestones would be very,very dangerous Once in Spain though, the going is easier. You certainly took this annoyance gracefully!

Turning 63 in July so I guess I would fit the "senior" bill ;)

Yes, and having carried one in 2016, I was disappointed to find that people were intolerant of the relatively low level of white noise it made. There was no apparent consideration of the fact that I was lumping almost another kg of CPAP equipment with me with in order to avoid the disruption my snoring might have caused.

The experience reconfirmed my simple position on this matter. The albergues are for everyone. If you don't find anything about them to your liking, you are the one that needs to address that. If that means that you have to pay for a private room, that is the price of your preferences. Don't ever think that you have some entitlement to move those costs to someone else.

It also confirmed that I am not going to lump that thing around with me except when I am travelling with my spouse, for whom I am prepared to make the extra effort. The rest of you have now been tarred with the brush of a couple of really intolerant and inconsiderate pilgrims. Unfair? Clearly. But that is how it is!
I too carried my cpap on my camino, only 2.5 kilos more weight, but lots of extra room in my pack I still pray for the American nurse who in a Sarria hostel was awakened by the hiss from my mask and in the early hours tried to block the air hose with her hand I slept on a bench in a cenral hallway for the rest of the night without my cpap and woke the world. My reply to complaints in the morning was to ask her..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I too carried my cpap on my camino, only 2.5 kilos more weight, but lots of extra room in my pack I still pray for the American nurse who in a Sarria hostel was awakened by the hiss from my mask and in the early hours tried to block the air hose with her hand I slept on a bench in a cenral hallway for the rest of the night without my cpap and woke the world. My reply to complaints in the morning was to ask her..
What an appalling story!
Shame, shame, shame on her. I wouldn't expect anyone to act so thoughtlessly, especially not a nurse :mad:

WTH!!! are you kidding me. A frigging nurse. That is absolutely appalling.

To my dismay and embarrassment, as I have got older, I have started snoring. I always carry extra earplugs and offer them to anyone in a bunk nearby who does not have them. My 14 year old daughter has come up with a solution, however. I take the top bunk, she takes the bottom one, and when I start snoring, she pushes my bunk from underneath, I turn over and the snoring stops. If I start the process loud enough to wake her, she repeats the action. My own method of dealing with snorers is to enjoy enough vino tinto and a shot or two of oroujo.. to produce a deep sleep. I would suggest you get mildly sozzled each night before bed...
This is so funny! This is exactly what my husband and i do! He takes the top bunk, and I jostle him when he snores. He always stops when he rolls over. However, I am known, on occasion (very infrequent, I might add) to snore.... 😂😂

this is an old quote of mine from Oct ´17

My interference with a snorer was a once-off:
At the dormitory at the nuns in Leon, the one just at the cozy little square, we had at last heard the last visitors going home as this wiry Italian in a small group of chirpy bycycling pilgrims started to snore like a wild boar!!
A surge of desperation hit me and I quickly got out of my sleeping bag and shook his bedpost violently 5-6 times ! And he abruptly stopped !!
I immediately regretted my actions, but too late, - and chances were that his mates had seen me and my stunt.
So next morning I asked him if he had a wife that complained of his snoring?
Oh yes, why? - because you obediently shut up as soon as I shook your bed last night!!
His mates laughed hard - he was a champion snorer, they said, and I felt I got some absolution when he smilingly confessed his wife was a stern critic of his nocturnal practise....

That is why, I will think twice before I would ever do this again !!

Last edited:
Wow.
This has sparked a flurry of opinions. Not surprised.
So this is to the OP.
I’m not in the comfort of my home, I’m in Oreña. I’ve spent 57 days walking since Vézelay. Some nights in Albergues, last night in Boo, but mostly in more personal comfort.
I’d like to be judgmental based on your inexperience and your profile.
I’d like to give you some advice like “suck it up, bro”, but what just screams at me is a question:
Why are you on a Camino?
No, two:
What were you expecting?
No, three:
Why raise this on the forum?
There are people on the Camino with MS, with cancer, with Kidney failure, with heart disease, with PTSD, with depression, some of them are going to die on the Camino. Getting on with it (and perhaps complaining).
Yes, and some with sleep apnoea.
Just saying.
(I hope I didn’t keep anyone awake last night).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi try the ruta de la Lana . We had every albergue/ or room with bed on floor in sports centre sometimes , tonourselves . Just ended walking I SanEstaban, about 3/4 days for me as slow walker , from Burgos . 500 about km of varied, sometimes hard ,,but so interesting and such great people and friendliness
But I know what you mean , sometimes it’s like a earth shattering sound which rises and falls , subsided and then comes again out of the blue
Had that experience on last Camino, but then made sure did not stay in same Albergue as the guy again . Ordinary snoring is fine to sleep through
Yes don’t let it stop you as things change very rapidly when caminoing and shit days or times are transformed unexpectedly into a wonder . Buen camino whatever you decide

I understand the argument that we all need to be tolerant in communal sleeping areas and have to put up with some disturbance. A certain level is inevitable. But I do find myself in some sympathy with the original post. I think that those who are aware that they are likely to make such excessive noise while they sleep should act responsibly and take all practical steps to minimise the disturbance to others. Even if that means choosing private rooms rather than dormitory accommodation. Personally I would be mortified to learn that I had been the cause of such disturbance to others.
I thought of a new idea, only snorers stay in alburgues and people that need sleep stay in private rooms.

€46,-
I thought of a new idea, only snorers stay in alburgues and people that need sleep stay in private rooms.

Can I suggest that the snorers should go to the hotels and the non-snorers be allowed into the Albergues if any determination is made to split these two groups?

There are some very simple solutions that can help people who snore. Be responsible. Do the right thing and do the best we can stop stop our snoring.

Surely there has to be some hardship in life or a pilgrimage? Walking short distances with bag transportation and staying in proper hotels involves no hardship or difficulty, with out effort there is no reward. A loss of sleep in the Albergue at night is not really a problem as you are unlikely to fall CV asleep while walking. Just have an afternoon nap when you arrive.
If you are tired and you want to sleep it is easily done.

Sleep deprivation is not fun and can have serious consequences for physical and mental well being.
As a 'test' in a previous life, I was subjected to three days without sleep.
The idea being to understand how our performance quickly degraded.
1st night without sleep, not too bad. Just sluggish and thought processes slowed down.
After 2nd night. Everything slowed down severely!
After 3rd night. We were basically out of it and actually seeing things! (that were certainly not there)

I am a snorer, borderline Sleep Apnea. Been to the sleep clinics.
They just say lose weight. So I am.

Snorers keep me awake too! I hate it. Drives me nuts. I get up and pace around........
Main reason I don't use Albergues.

But............private accommodation can also have the same problem as some of the walls are paper thin.

So i use white noise on my phone and sleep with ear buds in those circumstances.
I find ear plugs of little help........

Please don't write off lack o sleep as something trivial.........

I was reading through these recent posts here when I suddenly realized that I wrote the original post. A bit of background. I had retired early in 2019 with the plan of walking Camino Francés—the fulfillment of a dream—in April-May. But during my training period I came down with several nagging new health issues. I addressed these with optimism that they would pass and I would walk. I had my plane tickets and a hand ful of reservations made. I still wasn’t feeling great when I left and I missed all of that training period. I walked but it felt like hell. I couldn’t eat and no matter how much water I drank I was dehydrated. I wrote that post during this period. I made it to the halfway point and after losing my walking stick that day, I hung it up, quit, and went home. I found a good doctor who diagnosed my issues and started treatment. After a couple of months I felt so much better that I hopped a plane in late September and started all over again at SJPP and walked strong all the way to Santiago. My post reflected my mental and physical state during the first attempt. It is enlightening to look back to see the difference. My tolerance for snoring when I was alone, exhausted, and hurting was A LOT less than when I felt strong. On the 2nd attempt I was walking each day with a friend that I met on the way. All these factors played into my state of mind. I feel like I want to apologize to all of you but I think me being a case study might be helpful in understanding what other pilgrims might be going through

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sleep deprivation is not fun and can have serious consequences for physical and mental well being.
As a 'test' in a previous life, I was subjected to three days without sleep.
The idea being to understand how our performance quickly degraded.
1st night without sleep, not too bad. Just sluggish and thought processes slowed down.
After 2nd night. Everything slowed down severely!
After 3rd night. We were basically out of it and actually seeing things! (that were certainly not there)

I am a snorer, borderline Sleep Apnea. Been to the sleep clinics.
They just say lose weight. So I am.

Snorers keep me awake too! I hate it. Drives me nuts. I get up and pace around........
Main reason I don't use Albergues.

But............private accommodation can also have the same problem as some of the walls are paper thin.

So i use white noise on my phone and sleep with ear buds in those circumstances.
I find ear plugs of little help........

Please don't write off lack o sleep as something trivial.........
I do not consider lack of sleep trivial and I have generally not been able to budget for a private room. But I can manage with very little sleep for a night or two, if I must. Generally, what makes it possible for me to sleep on camino is a combination of two things: tiredness, from a long day's walk which leaves me much wearier than at home, and a collection of things to help me sleep: eye pad to keep out the light, wax ear plugs to keep out the noise, often painkillers to ease the joint pain. I have been known to go to bed in a busy dormitory an hour before lights out, totally exhausted, and to get a good night's sleep.
On only one occasion, my plans totally failed me: a large and sturdy young man climbed into the top bunk above me in an albergue and proceeded to toss and turn all night long. As I remember, I got little or no sleep in the fragile and creaky bottom bunk. But I walked the next day and slept the next night.
And then there was the weekend which I spent in a hotel in Santo Domigo de Silos, where I had taken a couple of days away from the pilgrimage route to visit the monastery and to pray. An energetic couple in the room next to mine had other ideas as to how to spend a weekend away. I am afraid that, while I did not sleep much, I spent much of those nights giggling, finally getting some sleep in, but not much praying.
There are many challenges on pilgrimage, and for some a lack of sleep is one of the most difficult aspects of communal living. What works for me are long walks, my personal sleep aides, and above all, a sense of humour.

A few minutes ago I was looking at “New Posts” and clicked on this thread, which of course brought up your OP, which I did not notice was from 2019. I must say as I read yours and then a whole page of responses, my reaction was “This is utterly depressing”. But I noticed that there was no reaction from you - perhaps not surprising in the circumstances. And I was curious to find out what had happened to you. So I zipped hopefully to the end of the thread and was delighted to read what you had written. You should be granted the last word on this topic.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can I suggest that the snorers should go to the hotels and the non-snorers be allowed into the Albergues if any determination is made to split these two groups?

There are some very simple solutions that can help people who snore. Be responsible. Do the right thing and do the best we can stop stop our snoring.
I suggest that the snorers are the meek of this Earth and they belong firmly in the Albergues, where there is an abundance of cold water, snorers, early risers with their rocking beds.
All common showers and the occasinal bed bugs for good measure....
That will serve us right, We, the undeserving SOBs...
- the righteous ones can have their comfy rooms with own showers and late mornings to themselves...

Consider that some people who snore can't afford private rooms and albergues or hotels. It strikes me as very un-Camino-like to suggest that only certain people be permitted to sleep in low-cost albergues.

Staying in a room full of people involves a lot of compromise. I would recommend that you find other lodging; there are lots of options. (Not everyone with sleep apnea can afford to buy and carry a portable CPAP machine with them on the Camino.)

Most of us use earplugs. 5mg of Zolpidem helps, too.
sorry earplugs are not the solution nor a cure for others.

I just re-read this whole thread and with special attention to the revival. @Zordmot thanks for coming back on this one. Obviously some comments, such as those on “deserving”,”entitled”, “should” and “ought to” tended to get up this old anarchist’s jacksy but on the whole a healthy discussion typical of this forum. As some have discovered and revealed “should’a”, “could’a”, “ought’a” is a hard Way to follow.

That smart looking guy in his well polished boots broke his heart and his mind in service to his country and yet still can’t stop polishing his boots. The scruffy girl who looks like she’s been on the road for years probably has but may not have chosen the road she is on. The snorers, the bed-race bag rustlers, the self-certain and the bewildered - well they’re all on the same road to the same destination. Whether they ever arrive, how long the journey takes them, is in the hands of providence.

And that road, oh that Road, like every Pilgrim’s road is beset by challenge: heat and dust, cold and rain, mud, snow and physical pain; doubt, self doubt and self discovery; selfishness and selflessness; and snorers in cheap bunkhouses who could have stayed at home.

I am grateful to everyone who consciously or even unconsciously enhanced or bedevilled my Caminos. In the throbbing silence of my locked down nights I almost long for the susurrus of the dormitory and sometimes even for the blare of those struggling for air.

The OP's two great contributions to this thread are a reminder that the Camino is a holy road, a pilgrimage, and that there is much to discover about the world and its peoples and also about ourselves in every step we take along its paths.

The year has turned, the sun / the son returns. Be thankful

€83,-
Snoring is a first world problem, many people just be happy with a bed for the night.

Last thing Pilgrims from centuries ago worried about was whether those travelling were snorers, unwashed or constant flatulators.

In Albergues you're sleeping in rooms with people you've never met before, accept it or don't take the risk. I prefer to live life on the edge, that's just me.:D

My tolerance for snoring when I was alone, exhausted, and hurting was A LOT less than when I felt strong. On the 2nd attempt I was walking each day with a friend that I met on the way. All these factors played into my state of mind. I feel like I want to apologize to all of you but I think me being a case study might be helpful in understanding what other pilgrims might be going through
About a week into the Frances I was convinced that if one more “intolerable” thing happened - a new blister, another bed bug sighting, etc. - I was on the next bus/train/plane out of there.

The “one more” thing didn’t happen, a stroke of luck. There are challenging things out there at times.

A few minutes ago I was looking at “New Posts” and clicked on this thread, which of course brought up your OP, which I did not notice was from 2019. I must say as I read yours and then a whole page of responses, my reaction was “This is utterly depressing”. But I noticed that there was no reaction from you - perhaps not surprising in the circumstances. And I was curious to find out what had happened to you. So I zipped hopefully to the end of the thread and was delighted to read what you had written. You should be granted the last word on this topic.
Thanks PeregrinoPaul!! Buenos Caminos!

Consider that some people who snore can't afford private rooms and albergues or hotels. It strikes me as very un-Camino-like to suggest that only certain people be permitted to sleep in low-cost albergues.

I know that what you suggest is true but the number of times I have struggled mightily to get to sleep with a loud snorer in range have been numerous and after a while I get to really dislike these people. They must know they snore but they seem to not care about others and don't use anything that can reduce their snoring. That is surely not in the Camino tradition either?

I've done the Frances 5 times and every time this lack of consideration gets to me.

I very obviously get annoyed by selfish uncaring people.

So...you want to walk the camino, stay in albergues among people in bunkbeds, but you don't want to be disturbed? Ain't gonna happen.

€83,-
So...you want to walk the camino, stay in albergues among people in bunkbeds, but you don't want to be disturbed? Ain't gonna happen.
Yup. I want that as well. It doesn't take much to address snoring just a bit of consideration for others. There are simple and cheap ways to address sleep apnea which is the most common cause.

Yup. I want that as well. It doesn't take much to address snoring just a bit of consideration for others. There are simple and cheap ways to address sleep apnea which is the most common cause.
I hear ya. Totally agree with you regarding the aspect of "consideration" for others. I've either fortunately or unfortunately have become used to the fact that "consideration" for others is becoming less and less prevalent in society. I researched the hell out of the camino before setting off on my CF last year and I mentally prepared myself to put up with the snoring, coughing and farting that comes with the territory of albergues. The noise never bothered me because I was so tired from the day's walk that I'd sleep through the the beginning of Saving Private Ryan. The mad rush for showers in the A.M., and tiptoeing to not wake others for a midnight piss is what irked me. I finished my CF in private albergues for about the last 10-12 days. It was NICE!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don’t be afraid. Just try
Yes! But not just any albergue. If you don't want to jump jnto the deep end, that is. The albergues in Zabaldika, Carrion, and Sahagun run by monastcs are quite special...as is Gaucelmo (CSJ) in Rabinal. And Grañon, San Anton, and San Nicholas are in a class by themselves — not because of amenities, but because of atmosphere.

€149,-
Love it!! There are a couple of people in this forum who truly do not get the true meaning of the Camino and are perhaps a bit too snobbish for it (dirty hippies, loud snoring). I would suggest that people with such delicate sensibilities book private accommodations all along the way.
I would gently suggest that declaring other pilgrims "do not get the true meaning of the Camino" isn't a fair judgement and ultimately isn't ours to make.

I know that what you suggest is true but the number of times I have struggled mightily to get to sleep with a loud snorer in range have been numerous and after a while I get to really dislike these people. They must know they snore but they seem to not care about others and don't use anything that can reduce their snoring. That is surely not in the Camino tradition either?

I've done the Frances 5 times and every time this lack of consideration gets to me.

I very obviously get annoyed by selfish uncaring people.

!!!!!!???????

This thread would have been closed a while ago, because it is just rehashing an age old debate with no resolution. But the interesting thing is that the original poster, @Zordmot, came back more than a year later, with a revised reflection on the issue.

I understand that many people just read the first couple of posts without wading through all 283 of them, but if you are tempted to comment on this thread, make sure you read @Zordmot’s later post. It is post number 260. It offers a good response to some of the hardened attitudes about who is selfish, who is caring, who is wrong, etc. Just some good food for thought as we get ready to start a new, and hopefully better, year!

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you, Laurie.

My tolerance for snoring when I was alone, exhausted, and hurting was A LOT less than when I felt strong.
This struck me as totally in line with my own experience — it's not the snoring that's the problem, but rather my reaction to it. I've slept through terrible snoring noise, and been kept awake by being angry about it. Sometimes in the course of the same night.

What I find so interesting about this thread is that @Zordmot's response shines a light on how our relationship with the Camino can blow hot or cold depending on a lot of background conditions of mind and body that we might not be so aware of.

I was reading through these recent posts here when I suddenly realized that I wrote the original post. A bit of background. I had retired early in 2019 with the plan of walking Camino Francés—the fulfillment of a dream—in April-May. But during my training period I came down with several nagging new health issues. I addressed these with optimism that they would pass and I would walk. I had my plane tickets and a hand ful of reservations made. I still wasn’t feeling great when I left and I missed all of that training period. I walked but it felt like hell. I couldn’t eat and no matter how much water I drank I was dehydrated. I wrote that post during this period. I made it to the halfway point and after losing my walking stick that day, I hung it up, quit, and went home. I found a good doctor who diagnosed my issues and started treatment. After a couple of months I felt so much better that I hopped a plane in late September and started all over again at SJPP and walked strong all the way to Santiago. My post reflected my mental and physical state during the first attempt. It is enlightening to look back to see the difference. My tolerance for snoring when I was alone, exhausted, and hurting was A LOT less than when I felt strong. On the 2nd attempt I was walking each day with a friend that I met on the way. All these factors played into my state of mind. I feel like I want to apologize to all of you but I think me being a case study might be helpful in understanding what other pilgrims might be going through
Yes, exactly my opinion. Not everyone enjoys a Camino. Circumstances often dictate.
It can be the best of times or the worst of times. Often both.

This seems to be a very old thread, but still active and a good discussion. Along the trail I often heard that the Camino presents challenges to be overcome and one's responses reflected their character - did you walk the Meseta or bypass it, did you carry your own weight or accept the help of others to transport your personal kit, did you take a bus to avoid all those nasty highways and sidewalks, did you assist that peligrino in need of direction or help, or ignore them.....? We're each given the opportunity to reinforce our character, or do something different to change it. Perhaps learning to cooperate and thrive with others, in spite of their human foibles and complete your Camino was your challenge. Did you really leave the trail because other humans were human? You leave the reader with the impression that you really were not committed to yourself or the challenge in front of you. Or did you use this 'challenge' as an excuse to surrender your passions. The Camino is a pretty telling experience,,,,if your willing to see it through that lens.

You sound really exhausted and in need of rest. I snore when I lie on my back (or so my teenage son tells me), in albergues I wear a hair clip that digs into my head if I roll onto my back while sleeping-- it helps me stay on my stomach or side and not to snore.

This seems to be a very old thread, but still active and a good discussion. Along the trail I often heard that the Camino presents challenges to be overcome and one's responses reflected their character - did you walk the Meseta or bypass it, did you carry your own weight or accept the help of others to transport your personal kit, did you take a bus to avoid all those nasty highways and sidewalks, did you assist that peligrino in need of direction or help, or ignore them.....? We're each given the opportunity to reinforce our character, or do something different to change it. Perhaps learning to cooperate and thrive with others, in spite of their human foibles and complete your Camino was your challenge. Did you really leave the trail because other humans were human? You leave the reader with the impression that you really were not committed to yourself or the challenge in front of you. Or did you use this 'challenge' as an excuse to surrender your passions. The Camino is a pretty telling experience,,,,if your willing to see it through that lens.
You did read the recent follow up post didn't you?

I went to a hardware shop and bought a pair of cheap hearing protectors. They're light too. It works far better than ear plugs. I now hear nothing but my own breathing. It's a bliss.

Part of the Buddhist mantra for equanimity:
Suffering or happiness is created through one's relationship to experience, not by experience itself.

And the rest (not in order)
All beings are responsible for their own actions.
The freedom and happiness of others is dependent on their actions, not on my wishes for them.

I have found lots of Camino experiences to practice equanimity--from my aches and pains, to snorers, to my pet peeve of pilgrims storing their pack on the only chair in the dorm. It is mostly about my reaction.

And so little on the Camino creates any existential risk--just a journey to learn to deal with the myriad of petty annoyances.
And as a side note, on my 2016 Camino with my Speech Therapist daughter, she said I was not 'snoring' but likely had sleep apnea (I was periodically gasping for breath). Got a sleep test and averaged 61 apneas per hour and an average SPO2 of 92% and 15% of my sleep time below 89%. So in spite of my cynicism that sleep apnea is just the medical professions way of pathologizing sleep--it is a true medical condition. And snoring is one of the manifestations, but great health risk is the constant drop in oxygen and disruption quality sleep. So, apnea is a medical problem and not a behavioral choice. And I was never aware of it as I was sleeping well enough to never notice-just occasional sleeping partners saying 'did you know you snore?"

I feel you. The camino has it's many physical and mental challenges; add chainsaw snorers and no sleep and it can put one over the edge. I've been there so many times, days when I've responded with barely a grumble and smile to an (exceedingly) chipper "Buen Camino!!!".

I'm a huge fan of Mack's earplugs on my caminos; like a brick wall for my ears. I usually stock up so I never worry about running out, or I can pass them along to other light sleepers. I simply cannot shut out a loud snorer, no matter how tired I am.

Glad you got back on the plane and gave yourself permission for a reset.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a hardware shop and bought a pair of cheap hearing protectors. They're light too. It works far better than ear plugs. I now hear nothing but my own breathing. It's a bliss.
I wear ear plugs and they work quite well, but was curious about "hearing protectors", so googled what they are. It seems a person would need to sleep on their back to use them, which unfortunately does not work for me as I am a tummy/side sleeper.

Quick story...I stayed in the Albergue Santa Maria in Carrion de Los Condes in 2017 and it was great as it had several bedrooms all with twin beds...no bunks! It was pure bliss until I was awoken (even while wearing ear plugs) with a massive snorer, his sound reverberating in the open room with great acoustics. I got through the night(barely), but mumbled to myself the next morning "I sure hope he doesn't stay in the same place as me tomorrow night."
The following night we stayed in Terradillos de Templarios at Albergue Jaques de Molay with a total of 50 beds in several rooms...it ends up this guy not only stayed where I was staying, but he was assigned the bunk right next to me! 🙄😂

This thread would have been closed a while ago, because it is just rehashing an age old debate with no resolution. But the interesting thing is that the original poster, @Zordmot, came back more than a year later, with a revised reflection on the issue.

I understand that many people just read the first couple of posts without wading through all 283 of them, but if you are tempted to comment on this thread, make sure you read @Zordmot’s later post. It is post number 260. It offers a good response to some of the hardened attitudes about who is selfish, who is caring, who is wrong, etc. Just some good food for thought as we get ready to start a new, and hopefully better, year!

Buen camino, Laurie
From your mouth (pen) to God's ears!

Perspective is everything.

Off camino, I once stayed in a co-ed hostel dorm room in the holy city of Jerusalem. The fellow in the bunk below me self-gratified with all attendant moaning and groaning, in order to fall asleep (and yes he snored, which is how I knew he was asleep). He woke five or six times in the night to go to the toilet, and each time went through the same routine to fall asleep. Gross and noisy in many ways. Imagine my surprise when he started yelling at two young people who had been whispering on the other side of the room, complaining of how they were disturbing everyone with their noise.

Snoring in the albergues hasn’t disturbed me so very much...

Hopefully this true story doesn’t offend anyone’s sensibilities.

€83,-
"I sure hope he doesn't stay in the same place as me tomorrow night."
The following night we stayed in Terradillos de Templarios at Albergue Jaques de Molay with a total of 50 beds in several rooms...it ends up this guy not only stayed where I was staying, but he was assigned the bunk right next to me!
I had exactly the same experience. The person was a lovely guy, but had sleep apnea, and I spent two nights praying for him just to take the next thunderous breath.

I was pondering whether to ask him if he was aware that he had SA. But I did not know him well enough to feel comfortable asking.

Zortmot so sorry to hear you have given way to sleep apnia however there are alberques with rooms off the main dorms thier are also hostels which are good and there are camping sites ultimately Hotels. They always say that the Journey for many is not Santiago but those experiences on the WAY meeting new people from all walks of life the evening meet ups around the pilgrims table for a meal the tales of others and most importantly finding out about yourself what you put your mind and body through. I dont know if i am one of those snoring people but i travelled in 2015 with a friend who snored for Ireland so i know where your coming from. Buen Camino dont give up

First, great thing the OP had the chance to experience the camino again and had a better experience. Thanks for sharing!

As for snorers: With things "of the human body" i am very tolerant. It's not like people snore or fart or need to go to the toilet out of spite. If it gets to much for me, i get myself some private lodging for some relaxing nights and needed privacy. When i sleep in albergues, well, theres only so much to be expected for 5€.

However, there are events where i am less tolerant.
The girl that had way too much wine and vomited into her bed at night
The school class that came from dinner around 23.00 and then decided to have a party in their rooms (including banging something metal on the f'ing heaters/radiators)
The guy that stood in full room at O Cebreiro at close to 22.00, took out his phone and called an albergue to make a reservation (spanish people seem to have to shout into their phone)

I am aware that the camino is for everyone i should not judge... but at those moments i was thinking murder to be an option. Of course, i didnt follow my urges ;) And yes, we helped that girl get reasonably clean again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.