• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I remain confused about the weather

s. brown

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy 2015
Please bear with me. In spite of all my reading I remain confused about the weather on the Le Puy route around June 1. I have read trip reports of encountering snow the last week of May (2014) and early June. I have also read that the Le Puy route can be quite hot in June.

I am planning on starting in Le Puy around June 1, 2016 and walking toward SJPDP for about three weeks. I have no idea what kind of clothes to bring. I would like to begin purchasing clothes now to take advantage of sales etc. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Imagine you are going up around Boston to do your Camino. That is what the weather will be like. Most people are talking about the Pyrenees when they are talking about snow in May and even in June. But even from Le Puy you can expect some really chilly mornings and evenings. And rainy/windy days here and there. Rain= chilly. So for June just make sure that you have a good fleece and good rain gear. Have a pair of convertible hiking pants and a decent pair of shorts. Take one long sleeved tech shirt and one short sleeve. Have either a rain coat and a pack cover or a poncho. Take a ball cap and a buff. This keep the sun off and holds your poncho/raincoat hood up. The buff can help you keep you warm or cool (dip it into water on a hot day). If I started walking in June I think I would just take the poncho. I ended my Camino in Santiago on June 1 and you can see I was sill wearing my fleece but was strictly wearing shorts by then.

Walking the Le Puy route in late May and early June can bring on all types of weather -

from rain (anywhere and anytime),
to snow (at the higher levels, a few days soon after you leave Le Puy)
to hot sunny days (further on, and closer to SJPdP).

Best to prepare for all types of weather at this time of year

My wife and I walked it leaving Le Puy mid May and finishing in Lourdes late June. (We took a detour)
During the five weeks we had two weeks of rain, two weeks of sun and a week of "what ever goes"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Please bear with me. In spite of all my reading I remain confused about the weather on the Le Puy route around June 1. I have read trip reports of encountering snow the last week of May (2014) and early June. I have also read that the Le Puy route can be quite hot in June.

I am planning on starting in Le Puy around June 1, 2016 and walking toward SJPDP for about three weeks. I have no idea what kind of clothes to bring. I would like to begin purchasing clothes now to take advantage of sales etc. Thanks.

It's just tricky to predict with such variations in elevations and the changes in weather generally. As others suggest bring layers and you should be ok. It could rain, it could be cold and it could be very warm.... so its best to plan accordingly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To clarify, I meant just the poncho instead of raincoat/ pack cover. You need the fleece regardless.

Think Appalachia Trail. Weather can change rapidly from nice to bad to worse.

With a lightweight fleece and a merino wool undershirt, you'll be fine. The weather is changeable, and the section you'll be walking those three weeks, Le Puy- Cahors, is mostly up on the plateau at 1000m/3000 ft.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Is there an alternative to a fleece jacket? I really HATE the synthetic feel of fleece. I get that it is lightweight and warm, but isn't there something else out there by now to replace that horrible squeaky fabric? I feel the same way about microfiber.

Is there an alternative to a fleece jacket? I really HATE the synthetic feel of fleece. I get that it is lightweight and warm, but isn't there something else out there by now to replace that horrible squeaky fabric? I feel the same way about microfiber.
Longsleeved merinowool

I have an Arcteryx wool jacket I will be wearing along with a light raincoat. I don't like the synthetic feel of a cheap fleece either.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone. Last June I began daily checking of the weather along the Le Puy route. In mid-june it seemed really hot around Moissac, but Le Puy seemed cool or comfortable. Then I started reading late May, early June trip reports of snow out of Le Puy! In the online blog, "A Good Walk Unspoiled" by "John and Robin" he mentions that a pilgrim told him that at the end of May the year before there was 50cms of snow on the ground near Nasbinal, which, he says, explains why pilgrims carry a winter kit in late spring in that area. I'm trying to avoid the heavier clothes, but you've given me good advice about what to take. Ideally, I would love to walk in coolish weather but I'm trying to avoid the French crowds in the holiday-packed month of May.

The reality about walking the Le Puy route in May or even June is that you will face the rush of French hikers, especially from Le Puy to Moissac

This is popular walking route - many French simply consider this route just another GR trail (which it is), thus take a week off and walk a section and then train home.

You will to think about calling ahead each evening or the morning of departure to secure a bed for yourself especially at the private pilgrim gites which can quickly fill up with a group of happy French hikers.

The numbers of hikers (pilgrim and otherwise) falls off significantly after Moissac.

It's very easy to be confused about the weather on the Le Puy route. Have a look at this April long range forecast. We leave on the 24th April. The weather is beautiful and warm right up to a few days before we start walking, then it turns miserable.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/le-puy-en-velay/132161/april-weather/132161
But that's what it is so no point worrying, we copped the same thing last year on the Frances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just about every morning from Le Puy until you come out of the Cele Valley you will be faced by a good stiff climb. Nothing hysteric, but the French Confraternity allows us to check out the cariovascular system to insure all is well before beginning the day. In June you may find that a cool morning will soon turn quite warm as you climb and evenings are usually marked by a good steep descent s0 keep whatever warm clothing you choose in an easy to reach place for quick removal or wear. The Aubrac plateau can be lovely springlike or freezing - remember Baden-Powell Be Prepared!

Just about every morning from Le Puy until you come out of the Cele Valley you will be faced by a good stiff climb. Nothing hysteric, but the French Confraternity allows us to check out the cariovascular system to insure all is well before beginning the day. In June you may find that a cool morning will soon turn quite warm as you climb and evenings are usually marked by a good steep descent s0 keep whatever warm clothing you choose in an easy to reach place for quick removal or wear. The Aubrac plateau can be lovely springlike or freezing - remember Baden-Powell Be Prepared!

Well said Scruffy,
If people think the climb to La Faba or O 'Cebreiro gets the heart going then Conques should be interesting.
The GR is about lovely scenery, quietness , beautiful people with home cooked meals and historic villages.

In all seriousness the weather in France will be the same as Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy and the UK .
Maybe the golfers in the US Masters have had the same fears.....will it rain , maybe its hot...........or do they just go out and play.
Rain =Poncho , cold = Fleece , Hills= be careful and enjoy the scenery, tabac= wine , gite= food and company.
The rain will fall from the heavens , sometimes a bit heavy, sometimes drizzle and then on the other days it might get hot.
As Scruffy said the first few km each morning will get the heart rate up, there will not be a coffee break in a few km and more than not on a monday or tuesday not even a tabac/ bar open in the villages ahead.
** The only thing you need is MMDD and study the times of shops in village.
Leave the rest to mother nature.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Totally off the weather subject, but I too am walking LePuy to Conques starting May 7. Weather not so much a concern as the greeting. Walked Frances last year and loved all the Buen Camino's from fellow pilgrims. What do you say in France?

Most read last week in this forum

A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...
Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back