• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I should have lived the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances,
2019 C. Portuguese (inland).
I took these photos in Padron on Thursday 24th October 2019. It shows pilgrims arriving and exploring this lovely town. The photo in the middle is taken from the monastery of San Martiño Pinario. The one on the right is me, taken by my wife. Whenever I travel I always tell myself to enjoy every moment. The dialogue in my head runs something like this: “look at this, isn’t it wonderful, isn’t it amazing, enjoy it because you may never come back here again.” And usually I do, I take in everything that I possibly can, from the curtains in my hotel room to the spoons in the dining room to the magnificent lead light windows in the Cathedrals that we pass along the way. But when I look at my photos, now, I realise I didn’t do a good job of enjoying everything, not at all. It is almost painful, emotionally painful, to think back on that day, Thursday 24th October 2019. I could have taken in and done so much more. I should have left my invisible footprint on every cobblestone. I should have swept every street and laneway and corner with my eyes. I should have lived the moment, as we say nowadays, whatever that means. I should have lived and loved and rejoiced in just being there! Today, right now, it feels truly like I may never go back to Padron, or Lisbon or Porto or Santiago. Today it feels like I haven’t lived, not at all.

1594426245028.png 1594426256906.png 1594426350725.png
Dedicated to my former colleague and much missed friend, Patrick White. (D.o.d. 17 Aug 2013)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The past the past is gone, the future isn't here yet, and all we have is this moment. Judging ourselves for something we may have done in the past is a waste of time, even though it's what most of us have learned to do.

If out of habit habit we miss the moment it only doubles that missing when we dwell on that later. Not only is it more painful, but on top of that we're missing this moment. It's a feedback loop, and miserable one.

So instead so instead of dwelling on what you've missed in the past, avoid missing this present moment. Being present right now can become a habit like everything else we do a lot— that's a positive feedback loop. Cultivate presence now so that next time you're in Santiago you will be there completely.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I realise I didn’t do a good job of enjoying everything, not at all.
I should have lived the moment, as we say nowadays, whatever that means. I should have lived and loved and rejoiced in just being there! ... Today it feels like I haven’t lived, not at all.
I agree with @VNwalking. It seems to me that you are continuing the same error. Why are you not enjoying today in some way other than lamenting what you didn't do last October 24? 🤔

Our world has been turned upside down with this pandemic and we now have the opportunity to reflect on what’s really important to us. It’s also given us time to reflect on happier, more carefree days. For myself I don’t need to remember every detail of the day to remember the feelings I felt. By what you said I think you did enjoy your Camino. Maybe you are missing those simpler times. Life is so very short. What you choose to do today is what will make you feel joy...or not. 😊

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think this way
It is a form of Fado....
The undefinable "missing"

Because you did live in your moments fully and completely and the missing shows you did.

The keys may not fit any more and the doors may not open
But once?
They did.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took these photos in Padron on Thursday 24th October 2019. It shows pilgrims arriving and exploring this lovely town. The photo in the middle is taken from the monastery of San Martiño Pinario. The one on the right is me, taken by my wife. Whenever I travel I always tell myself to enjoy every moment. The dialogue in my head runs something like this: “look at this, isn’t it wonderful, isn’t it amazing, enjoy it because you may never come back here again.” And usually I do, I take in everything that I possibly can, from the curtains in my hotel room to the spoons in the dining room to the magnificent lead light windows in the Cathedrals that we pass along the way. But when I look at my photos, now, I realise I didn’t do a good job of enjoying everything, not at all. It is almost painful, emotionally painful, to think back on that day, Thursday 24th October 2019. I could have taken in and done so much more. I should have left my invisible footprint on every cobblestone. I should have swept every street and laneway and corner with my eyes. I should have lived the moment, as we say nowadays, whatever that means. I should have lived and loved and rejoiced in just being there! Today, right now, it feels truly like I may never go back to Padron, or Lisbon or Porto or Santiago. Today it feels like I haven’t lived, not at all.

View attachment 78611 View attachment 78612 View attachment 78613
Dedicated to my former colleague and much missed friend, Patrick White. (D.o.d. 17 Aug 2013)
Understood. But did you not learn that the camino gives so much but our simple minds are limited in what they can absorb. Do not beat yourself up but relish what you did! I'm sure we all have that feeling, I should have, I could have but you know what, I DID! and that satisfies me so much.

It seems like from reading this post and another that you like that you judge yourself very harshly and as many of us also do live with what ifs.
Many years ago I was privileged to know and be involved with a woman who was a devout Buddhist. I was on this path of attempting to do more for myself and spend time in meditation and reflection.
Each day she would ask me "What did you do for yourself today?" The first time I sadly answered I did nothing her reply was; "Nothing was all you could do today. Be happy with nothing". Tomorrow is another day. But stay in today and be happy.
You walked the Camino. You didn't do "everything you could do" to enjoy and experience your Camino. You experienced what you could. That was all you could do. Be happy with that. Remember also you say you feel like you haven't lived. But you have and you are. Be ecstatic with that not just happy. Buen Camino.

I’ve been there - mentally not physically - which used to be a difficult thing to say.

Every second spent regretting times past creates yet another missed opportunity to regret in the future.

Have you considered ‘mindfulness’ or more scientifically ‘cognitive behavioural therapy’ (CBT). It changed my life a few years ago and is an utterly benign almost meditational practice.

The past is gone, all you have is now - right now.

I could never have conceived of thinking that, let alone posting it or saying it several years ago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Regret and nostalgia are part of us--and mindfulness. Go with it!!

As one wag (female Anglican priest) said on my 2005 camino: "you can walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, just don't set up camp there!"

I am currently going thru years of slides and emails from 'caminos' in an attempt to leave behind some 'story' for my progeny, Lots of small regrets but even more huge gratitudes. My regrets center on the fact that I may have finished my last (aging out and high covid risk) (wanted to log 365 days, now at about 340). My gratitudes are what the camino has given me over the last 15 years. Few are as blessed as I have been.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

This will pass. Don't feel that way. It seems like it is an eternity while we wait for it to pass but it will. Think of the Spanish Flu, the Hong Kong flu, AIDS, etc. which have been terrible illnesses like this but they are either gone or managed and until this, we were all going about without thinking of them. I don't know when, but it won't be long in the scheme of things before we are all going about life again without thinking of this virus as well. We all have our moments though like the one you must have been having where we feel so hopeless. Let's have hope. It will happen. Cheer up and find the positive somehow in the present circumstances. Hope to see you on the Camino.

This will pass. Don't feel that way. It seems like it is an eternity while we wait for it to pass but it will. Think of the Spanish Flu, the Hong Kong flu, AIDS, etc. which have been terrible illnesses like this but they are either gone or managed and until this, we were all going about without thinking of them. I don't know when, but it won't be long in the scheme of things before we are all going about life again without thinking of this virus as well. We all have our moments though like the one you must have been having where we feel so hopeless. Let's have hope. It will happen. Cheer up and find the positive somehow in the present circumstances. Hope to see you on the Camino.
Oh, and those pimientos de Padron!!!!! Still craving those!!! So delicious!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Don't look back, hermano, something might be gaining on you.

I just bought some Padrón pepper plants from my local growers market 😊

View attachment 78703

I bought some seeds (Diggers Seeds for us Assies) and grew my own this last summer - three plants grew to bearing stage. I still have the plants in pots in a (comparatively) frost free spot, and hope to carry them through to Spring when I wil plant them out into a full sun situation and hopefully enjoy their fuits.

Two 'harvests' in 2020.

Attachments

• 91457370_201366454615099_4510511007138840576_n.jpg
    91457370_201366454615099_4510511007138840576_n.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 107027333_979301962506470_4543617458980159332_n.jpg
    107027333_979301962506470_4543617458980159332_n.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 91468839_597034061022311_7773927570680053760_n.jpg
    91468839_597034061022311_7773927570680053760_n.jpg
    747 KB · Views: 10
  • 91704389_215809526300156_4001568781406044160_n.jpg
    91704389_215809526300156_4001568781406044160_n.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 107825731_2639214999673641_3267219366504794772_n.jpg
    107825731_2639214999673641_3267219366504794772_n.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 13
I bought some seeds (Diggers Seeds for us Assies) and grew my own this last summer - three plants grew to bearing stage. I still have the plants in pots in a (comparatively) frost free spot, and hope to carry them through to Spring when I wil plant them out into a full sun situation and hopefully enjoy their fuits.

Two 'harvests' in 2020.
They are so far away from Spain. Hope they feel at home, and bless your garden.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just bought some Padrón pepper plants from my local growers market 😊

View attachment 78703

Wow! Coming from New Mexico (Nueva Espana, USA), where all the hot peppers in Spain came from originally, I spent the day in Padron, looking for seeds to take home. I love those peppers! Folks in the shops told me that I missed the market day, when seeds are sold there. Trecile, where did you get them and can you send me some? (I'll send you my new hair conditioner bar, which is really good).

I have felt the same way in the past and eventually I learned to say this to myself...
"It doesn't matter...get better." We are always getting better. We may never master it...but we will always be getting better.

Wow! Coming from New Mexico (Nueva Espana, USA), where all the hot peppers in Spain came from originally, I spent the day in Padron, looking for seeds to take home. I love those peppers! Folks in the shops told me that I missed the market day, when seeds are sold there. Trecile, where did you get them and can you send me some? (I'll send you my new hair conditioner bar, which is really good).
I bought the plants at the local growers market. I can try to harvest the seeds when I have some peppers on my plants.
Or maybe I can send the plants?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Trecile, where did you get them and can you send me some? (I'll send you my new hair conditioner bar, which is really good).
I've bought padron seeds here:

This has been for me a very useful thread, as I too have been considering that I did not absorb all that I could while experiencing my various caminos, and wondering if I should do things differently if I can go again. We may think that we have infinite time on camino: the route is so long. But it will end, perhaps without us doing, feeling, and absorbing all that we could. For myself: I lived in the moment that I was given then, even if there were many other aspects of the pilgrimage experience that others were into around me. No, I didn't visit all the churches and see (or remember) all the wonderful historic monuments scattered about the caminos. But I was on pilgrimage and I did, absorbed, and remembered what I could at the time, according to my focus. That was enough. But, of course, with our current situation, I might wish that I could have taken in more at the time. Now I want more of the camino; may we all return soon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Lexicos, RUOK? If you cannot say 'yes' to this truthfully, get some help. This forum is not the right place to get you the help you might need. There are several national or local services in Melbourne. Here are some that operate 24 hours a day: Lifeline 13 11 14; Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467; MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78; Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636.

Last edited:
But when I look at my photos, now, I realise I didn’t do a good job of enjoying everything, not at all.
Perhaps you were preoccupied with capturing the moment instead of experiencing it. Photos remind you of what you may have missed.

I worked with a team of lawyers for many years and they always used to say to me, 'look at the fine print.' Then I worked with programmers for 5 years and their motto was, 'look for what's missing.' Our literature teacher taught us to analyse everything. Even this. I don't know. I must have been asleep through all of it! To make matters even worse, I've done two Caminos and frankly, honestly, I've learnt nothing. I think I've been sleepwalking all these years........

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lexicos, when you wake up today (Monday for you), you have a great opportunity to live this day to the fullest. Sunday has past and when Tuesday arrives, you’re presented with another great opportunity, accept that gift. If you feel that you need more than a pep talk, we sometimes do, then seek that help. Buen Camino mí hermano.

I worked with a team of lawyers for many years and they always used to say to me, 'look at the fine print.' Then I worked with programmers for 5 years and their motto was, 'look for what's missing.' Our literature teacher taught us to analyse everything. Even this. I don't know. I must have been asleep through all of it! To make matters even worse, I've done two Caminos and frankly, honestly, I've learnt nothing. I think I've been sleepwalking all these years........
This is called the journey of life. To question the journey without necessarily having all the answers and letting go when you can’t see the forest for the trees. It seems you are on the most important journey of all: self awareness.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Perhaps you were preoccupied with capturing the moment instead of experiencing it. Photos remind you of what you may have missed.
This is the main reason that I don't take many photos. The photographer is "outside" the scene observing it, I prefer to be part of the scene. The downside of this, of course, is that I have far fewer photos to remind me of what was at that time and place and my memory is not great overall, just for very unusual or notable things.

Very occasionally I manage to get a photo that places my viewpoint within the scene so that when I view the photo later it transports me back into my memories of the time and place.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Photos are like words, they tell a story. If you're a good photographer, you can tell a great story with just a couple of photos or even one photograph, if you're an exceptional photographer. With words, you can take a lot of poetic license, as I do, and greatly exaggerate, as I do (you've been warned!) but with a photo it's entirely up to the viewer to make up their minds about what the photograph is saying, much like with a painting. I like photographs and always have. I particularly like black & white photographs. Today, we are literally drowning in images of all sorts, advertisements are by far the worst, and it can be overwhelming to be bombarded by so much and to have access to so many and to view too many. I'm with you on this one Doug, I take few photos and the ones I take I value, greatly. Thanks for your comment.

Last edited:
Against the backdrop of all there is to do and see, none of us - even the most accomplished and travelled - have done more than the tiniest grain of sand in an endless beach. You could spend a day looking at a single square yard (or metre) of nature and not see all that there is to see there, much less the enormity of the world. And even if you were to see a place in its entirety (somehow), it would be a different place the next day.

Useful as the advice you have received in the quotation above may be, it is terrible as a standard to set yourself. It sets a goal that isn't just a little out of reach but in a whole other galaxy. Far better to enjoy what is in front of you than lament what isn't.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back