• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I Started My Camino 1 Year Ago Today

• Thread starter Former member 12499
  • Start date
F

Former member 12499

Hello Folks

Well it is just one year today (20th April 2012) since I set off from SJPDP on my Camino to Santiago and finally to the coast.

I would probably be a good hour of walking out of SJPDP by now after an excellent breakfast at L'Esprit du Chemin.

Even now, at home, i am walking every step, imagining getting used to my new pack weight. Water bottle full; breathing in that wonderful fresh air. Saying hello and 'Buen Camino' for the first time to everyone and meeting new friends and companions.

Some would turn out to be very dear friends and would be there right at the very end of our Camino 5 weeks later.

You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky people!

God Bless you all and enjoy YOUR Camino.

You are so lucky.

Charlie
(maybe again next year)

PS for the weather buffs. On this date last year there was some snow on the top going over to Roncesvalles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Re: I STARTED MY CAMINO 1 YEAR TODAY

Happy Anniversary :D I know exactly where you are coming from here- and as the next weeks pass by you'll be reliving wherever you were! I imagine quite a few of us do the same. I started last year on April 18th from Cluny, so I am sort of in the same imaginative space at present!
Margaret

Hello Margaret,

Thanks for your reply. You are so right about reliving it every day. Today I would have left Roncesvalles and would have stopped for breakfast at cafe Fronton as advised by Brierley's guide and another load of pilgrims to meet.

Happy days

A selection of Camino Jewellery

This time last year we were heading for the ferry port to start our Camino. We had a very rough crossing!!!!! So here we are remembering our wonderful Camino too and thinking about this year, what sort of crossing we will get (a calm one please), who we will meet as fellow pilgrims etc, the time to continue training before we go and pack weights.

I don't think anything can beat walking over Puerto de Palo and seeing the view, or the Pilgrims' Mass with the Amigos. We won't be reaching Santiago this year so are not trying to repeat the unrepeatable. Instead we will walk part of the Norte and then turn off to Covadonga, then back to the Norte until it is time to return home.

Meanwhile, today especially, back to the memories......... :)

Don't get seasick when you relive those memories!
Margaret

I won't :) but Terry might :( !
And for this year we'll keep praying :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

4 years ago today, I left Exeter cathedral to walk to Plymouth and catch the Ferry to Santander. It was an unforgettable experience to be able to walk out of my own door as a pilgrim! Almost a mediaeval pilgrimage, as the only transport I used between my home and Santiago de Compostela was a boat from England to Spain! I was also privileged in being able to stay overnight at Buckfast Abbey, one of the calling places for pilgrims in earlier times.
Next weekend we hope to be back to northern Spain and walking again. Not to Santiago this time but to the shrine at Covadonga in the Picos de Europa.

Blessings on your memories!
Tio Tel

What fantastic memories Folks.

Thanks for sharing them. It looks like you all got as much out of YOUR Camino as I did.

Now I really must start planning for another one next year.

Good luck to you all with your future plans and intended Caminos

Charlie

You beat me to the punch line, Charlie. There's nothing much better than re-living your Camino, unless it's planning your next one! I start next week and it's the darndest thing, but the butterflies are still there in pre-Camino anticipation! Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Actually Charlie, reliving things and all- I have a connection with you today- I stayed in a place called Charlieu on 22 April last year!
Margaret

peregrina2000 said:
You beat me to the punch line, Charlie. There's nothing much better than re-living your Camino, unless it's planning your next one! I start next week and it's the darndest thing, but the butterflies are still there in pre-Camino anticipation! Buen camino, Laurie

That's good to know Laurie. I wish I was joining you or at least meeting you on the way.

My only consolation at the moment is that I came across a map of Northern Spain yesterday which I bought. I will now spend my time plotting my Camino Frances route on to it and hopefully, place it into a picture frame along with my completed credencial. Chas

KiwiNomad06 said:
Actually Charlie, reliving things and all- I have a connection with you today- I stayed in a place called Charlieu on 22 April last year!
Margaret

It sounds an interesting place Margaret. I will put it on my list for next year. ThanXs

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back