• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I think I bought a train ticket, but cannot print it.

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
So, I went to www.renfe.es to buy my train tickets. I am pretty confident I have the correct ticket even though the page translates very poorly to English. I paid through PayPal.

I think I messed up having them send it to my phone as I did not know the dial out for Spain and the "Print Tickets" button does not work on the website. I called their phone number 011 34 902 109 420 and get a friendly message that says line is busy, call later. (5 times over 2 hours)

I found a link at https://venta.renfe.com/vol/formViajes.do but because I entered PayPal and not a credit card it will not pull it up.

I have 90 minutes spent in trying to purchase a simple train ticket.

Do I hope that there is a kiosk you can print them out with using the confirmation code? I did receive an email with a pager number. Everything states, "This page is informative and in no case constitute a transport."

---As I post this message, I found a handy link on this forum for the English version at http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html. I'll add it to both laugh at myself and hopefully help someone not go through the frustration I am

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So, I went to www.renfe.es to buy my train tickets. I am pretty confident I have the correct ticket even though the page translates very poorly to English. I paid through PayPal.

I think I messed up having them send it to my phone as I did not know the dial out for Spain and the "Print Tickets" button does not work on the website. I called their phone number 011 34 902 109 420 and get a friendly message that says line is busy, call later. (5 times over 2 hours)

I found a link at https://venta.renfe.com/vol/formViajes.do but because I entered PayPal and not a credit card it will not pull it up.

I have 90 minutes spent in trying to purchase a simple train ticket.

Do I hope that there is a kiosk you can print them out with using the confirmation code? I did receive an email with a pager number. Everything states, "This page is informative and in no case constitute a transport."

---As I post this message, I found a handy link on this forum for the English version at http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/horarios.html. I'll add it to both laugh at myself and hopefully help someone not go through the frustration I am

Hi, Wldwil, If I added up all the time I have spent trying to buy RENFE tickets, I'd be able to retire and live off the interest generated by that amount. 90 minutes may be a record!

Just a few weeks ago, in Pamplona, LTfit and I were taking the train to Ponferrada. I couldn't print out my ticket since I was at a hotel computer (it's a snap to buy RENFE tickets within Spain BTW), but with the code I had two options -- just plug in the code at the kiosk at the station or go directly to the ticket counter and ask the agent to do it for you.

Congratulations on having bought your ticket. I had heard that paypal works, so I will have to try that next time. Buen camino, Laurie

Just to let people know that not all experiences with Renfe are difficult. I've booked on-line from the US twice and both worked well. The first time (Spring 2014) I booked the train from Madrid to Pamplona with no problems, then had to cancel, and received the correct cancellation percentage back to my cc account from Renfe. The second was last week with no problems, I paid using PayPal, and immediately received an email confirmation from Renfe as well as a printable ticket in PDF. My Spanish is very basic with (alas) no verb usage ;-( I used Google Translates which worked well. I'm sorry to hear all the problems others are having.
Buen Camino -- even with Renfe!
Terry

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to let people know that not all experiences with Renfe are difficult. I've booked on-line from the US twice and both worked well. The first time (Spring 2014) I booked the train from Madrid to Pamplona with no problems, then had to cancel, and received the correct cancellation percentage back to my cc account from Renfe. The second was last week with no problems, I paid using PayPal, and immediately received an email confirmation from Renfe as well as a printable ticket in PDF. My Spanish is very basic with (alas) no verb usage ;-( I used Google Translates which worked well. I'm sorry to hear all the problems others are having.
Terry

Based on my many years of frustration, I think it's safe to say that PayPal is the ONLY way to go if trying to buy tickets online. At least if you are buying them from North America. Congratulations, Terry! Laurie

I got so fed up not getting anywhere on Renfe, that I looked for an alternative.
spanishrail.co.uk, will book as many rail tickets in Spain that you want. The charge 2 years ago was
ten euros for as many tickets as you need.
Might be expensive for two trips but it saves you from banging your head against the wall.

Well, my one big tip is to make sure you either start with the Spanish or the English website, lol.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Wldwil, I too tried to book this year and the option to print was not available. Ultimately I ended up booking a bus. Last year I purchased in person for a very popular route (Madrid to Leon) and there were several options and it was easy. The website has a "Contact Us" button. It's worth a try.

Well, I have to say that I've never had a problem booking RENFE tickets on line, or printing them, by credit card, from the UK. The main thing to note is that the ticket will be sent as an attachment to print off in their confirmation email. If you try to print directly from the website, it won't work.
Bum kimono.

Just to reiterate - I received my printable ticket directly from Renfe via their email confirmation. That means I now have my printed ticket as well as the pdf one on my device.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Terry

My advice is to not buy a train ticket ahead of time, because if you arrive late for any reason, you'll basically lose your ticket. You can usually just buy the ticket at the ticket counter. Very rarely are trains fully booked.

My advice is to not buy a train ticket ahead of time, because if you arrive late for any reason, you'll basically lose your ticket. You can usually just buy the ticket at the ticket counter. Very rarely are trains fully booked.
That's very true, Emile, but the closer to your travel date you buy your ticket, the more expensive it is - even on Renfe, tho' not on the buses I think. Frequently, there isn't a huge difference, but for many people that is something to consider. I usually stay one night in the city my flight is arriving in, and select a min- to late morning train departure just to give myself a bit of leeway. Nothing is ever certain, but this has always worked for me.

Sorry, Emile, but I will have to disagree. AVE and ALVIA trains frequently fill up more than a week out. I learned this the hard way this summer -- not a special weekend or holiday, just summer traffic. I know there's always a risk of missing the train, but I usually find I can plan it so I won't have that worry. If you are going to travel on regional trains or other "milk runs", I don't think advance purchase is a problem, except around holidays.

Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've just done some testing for a Renfe ticket Leon/Astorga/Ponferrada to SdC - I have 20 days walking from SJPDP, so am exploring the options if I don't make the whole 800km in that time.....(lol)
It seems there is, at the moment on that route, a 24 day lapse on booking availability - ie, the earliest I can book a ticket today, is for Sept 13th. I need one for the 22nd, so should just be able to do it the w/e before I leave on the 1st.
The point is, for us cash strapped pilgs, a promo ticket from Leon to Santiago, booked ahead online, is just 12.6 euros. I'm guessing the bus fare is more than twice that, and takes longer. And again, I'm guessing the Renfe price would be at least double that if booked on the day.
Of course, one takes a gamble on not being in Leon/Astorga/Ponferrada on the 22nd, and losing the ticket - promo fares are of course non refundable.

I bought our Renfe tickets on the RailEurope website (from the US) going from Logrono to Barcelona. Had no problems using my credit card and printing my tickets from the PDF link on the confirmation email.

On a slightly divergent theme, I've found that Spanish rail passengers don't always take too much note of where they sit - I have twice had to ask someone to vacate my - booked - seat, in a crowded carriage, otherwise it wouldn't have been an issue.
On ALSA buses, a different system seems to operate. The seats are allocated on booking, but bear no relation to the number of passengers. For example, all the passengers seem often to be allocated seats in the front half, doubled up, with loads of space at the rear, which, for instance, on my trip from Leon to Madrid, was completely unoccupied. Moral of story, on train or bus, sit where you like, regardless of your ticket.....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also agree that I would not buy my ticket before I am actually in the country. What a waste of money if you miss your train ( or bus)! No saving then!!!
We had an experience several years ago, when on our outgoing Iberia flight from S. José, we had an overdose case on board and had to make an emergency landing in the Domenican Republic to get this guy off the plane! Result was that by the time the aircraft was allowed to leave, 3 hours later, most had missed their connections in Spain, including us. Fortunately, because we were flying Iberia, they " looked after" us and put us on a later plane for Pamplona. However, we then missed the bus for Roncesvalles and had to take a taxi. ( which, obviously, we had to pay for).

I just can't figure out WHY people are buying tickets online when it's much simpler and cheaper to buy your ticket in Spain when you arrive.

I'm noticing the schedule seems to have been reduced and trains are 'completo'. So it might be necessary to have a ticket in advance ... unless you have a lot of flexibility.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's very true, Emile, but the closer to your travel date you buy your ticket, the more expensive it is - even on Renfe, tho' not on the buses I think. Frequently, there isn't a huge difference, but for many people that is something to consider. I usually stay one night in the city my flight is arriving in, and select a min- to late morning train departure just to give myself a bit of leeway. Nothing is ever certain, but this has always worked for me.
Paying a bit more at the ticket counter is better than risk forfeiting the entire ticket in the event you arrive late. A friend of mine bought train tickets in advance through the SNCF's (=French Railways) website , unfortunately his flight to Paris was delayed and he missed his train. He was unable to get his money back and ended up buying other tickets at the counter. Her wrote many letters to the SNCF trying to get a refund, to no avail. The French bureaucracy is impenetrable!

Sorry, Emile, but I will have to disagree. AVE and ALVIA trains frequently fill up more than a week out. I learned this the hard way this summer -- not a special weekend or holiday, just summer traffic. I know there's always a risk of missing the train, but I usually find I can plan it so I won't have that worry. If you are going to travel on regional trains or other "milk runs", I don't think advance purchase is a problem, except around holidays.

Buen camino, Laurie

Oh well, to each one their own opinion. I am in the more adventurous camp. By the way, isn't the Camino supposed to be an adventure? If everything must be carefully planned and orchestrated, might as well book your "adventure" through a tour operator. -Yuk.

Isn't this forum wonderful -- we can all express our opinions, past adventures, and suggestions, and others can "shop" for what works best for them! Almost as good as having the learning experiences oneself! ;)
Terry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My advice is to not buy a train ticket ahead of time, because if you arrive late for any reason, you'll basically lose your ticket. You can usually just buy the ticket at the ticket counter. Very rarely are trains fully booked.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the advice. I just spent an hour trying to book a rail ticket from CDG to Biarritz for 18/sept 2015 on Rail Europe, SNCF, and DB Bahn and did not get anywhere. A first for me. The Rail Europe would only open for Mid East countries, SNCF would not let me enter a date. Looking forward to starting my Camino. With good luck I will walk from SJPD to Finnesterre and I have all the time in the world to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a slightly divergent theme, I've found that Spanish rail passengers don't always take too much note of where they sit - I have twice had to ask someone to vacate my - booked - seat, in a crowded carriage, otherwise it wouldn't have been an issue.
On ALSA buses, a different system seems to operate. The seats are allocated on booking, but bear no relation to the number of passengers. For example, all the passengers seem often to be allocated seats in the front half, doubled up, with loads of space at the rear, which, for instance, on my trip from Leon to Madrid, was completely unoccupied. Moral of story, on train or bus, sit where you like, regardless of your ticket.....

Seems I was told last year that those "seat numbers", in fact, were the sequence in which the ticket was sold -- not actual seat numbers. Sorry, I don't remember the exact conversation, so I may have this wrong. But when I checked the next time with the person who sold me the ticket, she verified that that was the case, and I could sit anywhere. Of course, this may change with each bus company - tho' Alsa may do more seat assigning.

Also a couple of years ago, someone told me about a couple of longer distance Alsa bus trips that had become her favorite mode of long-distance travel in Spain -- with bus attendants who served snacks... don't know if that's still happening.

Once when I went from Burgos to SDC by train, a 7 hour journey, I booked tickets in advance. The seat numbers were clearly marked and I gathered that the guard wanted to check your ticket in the seat booked.
I thought that you had to stay in that seat for the journey.
On that occasion the train stopped for 15 mins in three stations and then the train came out of the station in a reverse direction.
As the compartment was divided half the seats facing one way and the other end facing the other, on the first 15 minute stop, many of the passengers moved to seats in the other half. On the next reversal ,they moved back again.
I liked the idea that each of the 3 stations had a cafe/restaurant ,often in the open air for a coffee. Some people just got off the train to stretch their legs and have a cigarette.
So once checked in, you can sit where you like, but if someone gets on and has booked that seat, then you have to move.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought my train ticket in advance because I have Pensión Corazón Puro picking me up in Pamplona and it was their request that I do so to avoid complications. Not only did it honor their request, but it gives them a time to be there at the train station to pick me up.

I arrive at 7:45 AM in the morning and the train leaves at 11:35. I would hope there would not be a delay so long as to mess this up. I did pay extra to cancel and choose the seat. Plus, if someone has never traveled by train before, these are not the adventures one wants to have.

The biggest issue is that their print button did not work. I could even see the link to the pdf at the bottom of my browser window, but that did not work when hand typed in as well.

I build websites for a living and would consider myself and above average web user. The bottom line is the site was broken for printing the ticket.

Travellingman and OTH86, the email did not give a link to print the ticket as well or have an attachment. It only has a confirmation number. In fact, it sent two emails with the same information seconds apart. At least, they only charged me once. I wish it were more consistent. Had I received an email like that, this thread would never have been started and enjoyed a lively discussion.

I tried another button just now to request an invoice hoping it might send one with the attachment, but that button is currently broken as well... go figure!

I will try calling again early in the morning. For the record, I am frustrated, not angry and confident I can “maybe” find a kiosk or something when I get there.

Last edited:
So WldWil, you really should not think that "maybe" you can find a kiosk, you should know that you will definitely find a kiosk or an agent. There is not going to be a problem. :)

Are you arriving at the Madrid airport and making your way to the Atocha station? If so, are you arriving at T4? If so, I would recommend going to the RENFE office at T4, even if you decide you're going to take a taxi or the bus and not the Cercanías train to Atocha. The RENFE office at the airport is never busy (it´s there because RENFE runs the commuter trains too). That would avoid the lines and possible confusion at Atocha, if you´ve never been there before.

Good luck and buen camino, Laurie

Isn't this forum wonderful -- we can all express our opinions, past adventures, and suggestions, and others can "shop" for what works best for them! Almost as good as having the learning experiences oneself! ;)
Terry
At the end of the day, if you really want to make that omelette, you'll have to break a few eggs :)

€149,-
Thanks Laurie, that is a relief. I have traveled a lot does not equal traveling outside of North America. What I find very easy here may be difficult for others I am sure as well.

I am arriving on American at T4s at 7:45. With nearly four hours (less delays) I would think I should have enough time to get that ticket, along with a sim card for my phone, a bite to eat and be off. The train I am on is

Origen : Madrid-Puerta De Atocha
Destino : Pamplona/Iruña
Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 11:35

My research is showing:

The Spanish railway company RENFE, connects Madrid with the Madrid Barajas T4 airport terminal through the local train network service "Cercanías".
The metro station at the terminal T4 P1, is also the end of the line.

The duration of the connecting routes with the new line C-1 to the airport is as follows:
Atocha train station - Airport T4: 25 minutes.

The C-1 service starts at 5.15 a.m. (the airport being the terminal station) and leave every 30 minutes from 05.15 a.m. in the morning.

I am QUITE certain experiences will vary given ones background and where they live and if it is their first time or not. I am really looking forward to getting on the path, facing East and letting go.

I am QUITE certain experiences will vary given ones background and where they live and if it is their first time or not. I am really looking forward to getting on the path, facing East and letting go.

Hi, WldWil, You are right that once you get there you will let go -- but I hope you will face west, not east, or you will be going to France. :)

Just a couple of things -- the metro is different from Cercanias. You want Cercanias, whose symbol is a white uplifted C in a red background. The times of departure are not on the quarter hour, but at 28 and 58 after every hour. If you get your ticket at the RENFE office at T4, you might be able to get the Cercanias ticket for free, because it is included in the price of a high speed train. I just don't know if that works if you've already bought your ticket online, but it should.

Buen camino to you, looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. Laurie

I've bought tickets in advance this time, but only because we are travelling the day after the threatened drivers strike and we thought the trains might be busier than usual with people who had to delay their trips.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll add it to both laugh at myself and hopefully help someone not go through the frustration I am
Technology is tricky! I always have the receipt sent to my email address because of the phone dialing code problem. The bus drivers end up with a roster of reserved passengers, so the absence of a printed ticket is no problem. The train operation is much bigger, so good luck with the results. Buen camino.

Seems I was told last year that those "seat numbers", in fact, were the sequence in which the ticket was sold -- not actual seat numbers. Sorry, I don't remember the exact conversation, so I may have this wrong. But when I checked the next time with the person who sold me the ticket, she verified that that was the case, and I could sit anywhere. Of course, this may change with each bus company - tho' Alsa may do more seat assigning.

Also a couple of years ago, someone told me about a couple of longer distance Alsa bus trips that had become her favorite mode of long-distance travel in Spain -- with bus attendants who served snacks... don't know if that's still happening.

My first experience in travelling to Spain involved travel on New Year's day. I was very glad that I had purchased my ticket in advance as the line went around the building (and that was for the restroom). I got on the bus, found my seat was occupied so I took another. Then I was asked to move. I did that four times before asking the person in my seat to move. The ticket says its the seat number; nothing about the order in which the tickets are sold.

I just can't figure out WHY people are buying tickets online when it's much simpler and cheaper to buy your ticket in Spain when you arrive.

Well it may be simpler but certainly not cheaper to buy Renfe tickets locally, on the day of travel. Promo fares on line are much less than the regular fare - whether it's a good idea to buy in advance is, of course, a matter of opinion. However, if one has a fixed arrival time at Barajas, for instance, tickets onward to a start point at Pamplona/Burgos/Leon/et al can be bought without much risk of losing any money.
By contrast, Alsa bus tickets are the same price on line or local, in fact dearer on line as a booking fee is charged.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I realized that I never followed up with the rest of the story…
Air flight went great. They actually served real food and you got to eat it with real silverware.

Arrived in Madrid. I carried my bag on and could skip checked luggage.

Bought a sim card for phone. Found out that even if your phone is unlocked, you still need a world phone. So no phone and a sim card that did not work.

Got to the subway and had no idea what to do and how to get through the turnstiles, but found a smiling assistant who help me scan ticket and get a slip that let me on subway.

Made mistake putting this next to credit card which demagnetized it and got locked out of the next one, but eventually got on the subway. Stop five was the train station. Did I mention this was first time on a subway, ever? Not sure when to get off, but a local non-English speaking person smiled and said to follow. So, I did. We hopped off, weaved through some people and up some stairs and I was there.

Once on the train, I could feel the nerves starting to unwind. I was on my way.

I am returning this year to finish my Camino. It will be interesting to see how it feels second time around.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have had three experiences buying Spanish rail tickets online. First time (from Oz) I was able to get the RENFE site to operate in English - as I was inside the 60 days the advance purchase worked ok. I have also used the Rail Europe site (again from Oz - in fact the Rail Europe site comes up even if you tell it RENFE). Again no problems with the early purchase. Did it from inside Spain - on RENFE - but it did not want let me select the English option - fortunately the Hotel Manager (in Salamanca) was very familiar with RENFE and printed my two tickets. Best of luck!!

I've always used loco2.com to buy my train tickets. Recommended by The Man in Seat 61
Loco2 seems to be able to make a connection to the various rail carriers in Europe.
Never had a problem so far

I had a bit of trouble paying with my credit card on the RENFE site last week, but PayPal worked fine. Unfortunately the fare went up 11 Euro while I was messing around with that. I was able to print out my ticket from the confirmation email. I also downloaded the RENFE app onto my phone, so I can access my ticket that way.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back