• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino I think I sprained my ankle-- advice?

ScooterB

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016 (Frances), June-July 2017 (Le Puy)
Just got into Zubiri, hobbling after twisting my ankle and then walking 13 kilometers on it. It is a bit swollen and I am applying ice but it is extremely uncomfortable to put any weight on it. I will try to find a doctor tomorrow morning to get the best advice for this disappointing situation, but also wondering if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just got into Zubiri, hobbling after twisting my ankle and then walking 13 kilometers on it. It is a bit swollen and I am applying ice but it is extremely uncomfortable to put any weight on it. I will try to find a doctor tomorrow morning to get the best advice for this disappointing situation, but also wondering if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks in advance.
Hi Scooter, as already stated .
Wish you all the best with the heling proces.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
RICE - Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate!

Don't compress too hard, you do want blood circulation...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry to hear of your injury. If you haven't got poles already, after doing all of the above and giving yourself time to rest it, try to get a pair of poles as this will take some of the weight off your ankle and also help the extra stress on the ankle knee and hip joints on the 'uninjured' side which take up the slack when you're limping.

Think about getting your backpack taken by a carrier service to alleviate weight balance issues when you start back on the road.

Can I ask what kind of footwear you were/ are wearing? After a sprain heals there is sometimes a tendency for that ankle to be a little weak so, if not wearing ankle supporting boots already, maybe think about getting a pair at the Decathlon store etc in Pamplona. I know this would present the 'breaking in the boot's issue but-as you'll most likely be walking more slowly over shorter daily distances for a bit-you'd have an opportunity to break them in 'gently'.

Take care.

There is a store (Intersport Arabia) in Pamploma near the bus station. Cross the road, turn left and walk on the opposite side to the bus station, then first right at the island into Av. Conde Ovieto. It is the corner on your side at the next junction. You cannot miss it. 10 minutes from bus. Good luck.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am in the same boat a bit farther down the camino and taking some rest days. Ankle improving a bit. I bought a great brace at a pharmacy. Does anyone have any advice about being able to get back walking with a brace and walking stick or poles and moving slowly? I hope my Camino is not over.

I am in the same boat a bit farther down the camino and taking some rest days. Ankle improving a bit. I bought a great brace at a pharmacy. Does anyone have any advice about being able to get back walking with a brace and walking stick or poles and moving slowly? I hope my Camino is not over.
It really depends on how bad a sprain it is. If minor/ moderate sprain you could expect to weight bear and continue your walk - still expect pain though. With severe sprain, there is more trauma to ligament, and you will not be able to walk. I had severe sprain, which kept me on crutches for 2 weeks, severe pain, swelling, ecchymosis. Small fracture on base of foot - although this was minimal problem compared to sprain.
I dont know what kind of brace you have, but if it works with your shoes and feels comfy thats fine, otherwise use ace bandage and adjust socks accordingly. Use RICE, anti-inflammatories. I like Arnica for soft tissue injuries and use sub-lingual form and also cream. I found the local farmacia's on Camino very helpful. They have this anti-inflammatory drug, and I cant remember name. I think is actually ibuprofen but in a 600mg dose. In USA it only comes in 200mg, but is actually a drug that can be used in much, much higher doses during the initial days of injury. Consult with the pharmacist. If you have poles that WILL help - try to get to sports shop for advice on how to fit you for them, and how to use. You will need to be aware of preventing further injury to ankle, or causing problems with other parts of your body, if it is over compensating for injury. Try NOT to limp - I know this sounds funny, but if you change your gait, you may run into other problems. Yes take it slow! Take smaller steps, and finally, listen to what your body is telling you -
Buen Camino
Janice

Oh Scooter, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I know that we plan and plan and so look forward to our journey. Now to have this happen to you. If you have a few extra days, It's time to rest this ankle for awhile. My son played college basketball and had a bad sprain. He was instructed to use heat and ice, alternating them. He was told that this encourages faster healing. I know that elevation, rest and ice are all good, coupled with a good wrapping or ankle brace. My Doctor told me that I can take 800 mg's Ibuprofen, three times a day for a total of 2,4oo mg's/24 hours. You can alternate with Tylenol in between times. Let us know how things are going for you. I got my toe smashed by frozen meat falling from the top shelf of the freezer. I have been using the heat and cold method and was able to walk 4 miles yesterday after only 2 days. It was swollen and black until I started the soaks. Good luck

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much for that encouraging response! Today

OTE="MaidinBham, post: 402934, member: 29585"]It really depends on how bad a sprain it is. If minor/ moderate sprain you could expect to weight bear and continue your walk - still expect pain though. With severe sprain, there is more trauma to ligament, and you will not be able to walk. I had severe sprain, which kept me on crutches for 2 weeks, severe pain, swelling, ecchymosis. Small fracture on base of foot - although this was minimal problem compared to sprain.
I dont know what kind of brace you have, but if it works with your shoes and feels comfy thats fine, otherwise use ace bandage and adjust socks accordingly. Use RICE, anti-inflammatories. I like Arnica for soft tissue injuries and use sub-lingual form and also cream. I found the local farmacia's on Camino very helpful. They have this anti-inflammatory drug, and I cant remember name. I think is actually ibuprofen but in a 600mg dose. In USA it only comes in 200mg, but is actually a drug that can be used in much, much higher doses during the initial days of injury. Consult with the pharmacist. If you have poles that WILL help - try to get to sports shop for advice on how to fit you for them, and how to use. You will need to be aware of preventing further injury to ankle, or causing problems with other parts of your body, if it is over compensating for injury. Try NOT to limp - I know this sounds funny, but if you change your gait, you may run into other problems. Yes take it slow! Take smaller steps, and finally, listen to what your body is telling you -
Buen Camino
Janice[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your helpful and encouraging response! Today was a good day of rest and healing and I think I can walk tomorrow. I got a great brace and then some of the ibuprofen cream. Thank you!

Scooter just wondering how you are doing. I was able to get back walking after a few days rest and a good brace. How are you doing? Have been praying for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry to hear of your injury. If you haven't got poles already, after doing all of the above and giving yourself time to rest it, try to get a pair of poles as this will take some of the weight off your ankle and also help the extra stress on the ankle knee and hip joints on the 'uninjured' side which take up the slack when you're limping.

Think about getting your backpack taken by a carrier service to alleviate weight balance issues when you start back on the road.

Can I ask what kind of footwear you were/ are wearing? After a sprain heals there is sometimes a tendency for that ankle to be a little weak so, if not wearing ankle supporting boots already, maybe think about getting a pair at the Decathlon store etc in Pamplona. I know this would present the 'breaking in the boot's issue but-as you'll most likely be walking more slowly over shorter daily distances for a bit-you'd have an opportunity to break them in 'gently'.

Take care.

In fact, I recommend compression type ankle support brace rather than ankle support boots. You can find them in pharmacies. Because the material used is soft, it is more durable and conducive to ankle movement.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.