• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I think I'm a Loner or maybe an opportunist?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I don't like firm plans.
I just do better when I can be flexible to change course when it makes sense.

The Camino is known for throwing us curve balls,
but it is also known for providing what we need.

It's just not always good for the other person.
That can be difficult.
And that is why I often walk alone.

Yesterday I was going to walk the Camino Madrid.
Today I saw the extended weather report and the sunny south began looking mighty good.
I know myself.
I know my body.
With my MCS and fibro, I would not be a happy peregrina walking in rain, wind, cold and/or snow.
And there's no reason not to do what makes me happy and comfortable.

So today I've decided to hop down to either Malaga or Granada and walk at least a portion of the Mozarabe route. I'm hoping to walk as far as Merida. But who knows?If things get better weather-wise up north, I may pop up to Simacas and walk those last 5 days I missed on the Madrid route two years ago, just to say I've finished it.

So that's it.
I've made a decision.
If anyone has plans on starting the Mozárabe between April 17 and 18, and wants a slow walking partner, give a shout. I'll be on the trail.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Annie - I walked Granada - Mérida September 2015. Lovely (LOTS of olive groves) but terribly quiet. I kept my sanity talking to locals whenever I got a chance as I didn't meet another pilgrim until Mérida. Signage was fair till Cordoba and good after that. If you look around I am sure that you will find my posts.

Buen Camino and let us know what you decide.

ouch I'm starting to walk from Ponferrada in mid May. I sure hope the weather improves by then.. the next couple of weeks look horrible. Zero is not my kind of temperature!
I walked from Ponferrada late last May and the weather was perfect! I hopes yours is as well.

You know how I feel about your decision. The best plan is NO plan, and that way, you aren't sitting resentfully in a place you don't want to be. Freedom is paramount, and most of us--I think--go on this journey in order to enjoy time alone, bumping fortuitously into like-minded spirits along the way. You can't plan serendipity.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After 5 Caminos the "no plan" plan is the best IMHO.
I am starting in Barcelona 25 May and want to do a little bit of sightseeing in the city before going to Huesca where I plan to start walking. I want to see San Juan de Pena which I missed last year and my next objective is to arrive at San Anton on 13/14 June when I start my hospitalero service. If it requires alternative travel routes, then so be it.

I read (or hear, as I listened to it on audiobook via Audible) a good book on this route by a chap named Tony Kevin- "Walking the Camino: a Modern Pilgrimage" He also walked mostly alone. Contains a lot of cultural and historical information about Spain as well as comments on the actual route and an understated insight into his inner journey.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last year I revisited the Alhambra with my daughter in her February's school half term break. Over a chilled wine afterwards I asked what she enjoyed most. Our visit had been in the very hot afternoon. She surprised me when she also thought the gardens her favourite part. So we have something in common after all? She surprised me though as she is more a bricks and mortar than nature lover, very much a city woman. The intricate inscriptions and architecture are noteworthy though as are the views from this hilltop sensual treat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You know how I feel about your decision. The best plan is NO plan, and that way, you aren't sitting resentfully in a place you don't want to be. Freedom is paramount, and most of us--I think--go on this journey in order to enjoy time alone, bumping fortuitously into like-minded spirits along the way. You can't plan serendipity.
Perfection, Deb.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back