• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I think I'm losing it

efdoucette

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
So, it's been two years since my last Camino / long distance walk (feels like a confession). Before that I've walked one or two a year for 8 years, in various countries. Spain is my favorite, man they know how to create a walking trail.

So, I seem to be obsessed with going again and hope to lace up the boots next April. But I'm going mad, mad I say, with planning. Most evenings I surf the net, looking for the "just right" trail, I create a walking plan, build spreadsheets, view Youtubes, etc, etc. I think I have lost my mind. From an original Camino Frances in 2011 that enhanced my life (or so I thought) to an obsessive addict looking for the next escape to shangri-la. Please someone, tell me I'm not alone? How do I stop?

Respectfully (tongue - in - cheek) yours,
Eric

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, it's been two years since my last Camino / long distance walk (feels like a confession). Before that I've walked one or two a year for 8 years, in various countries. Spain is my favorite, man they know how to create a walking trail.

So, I seem to be obsessed with going again and hope to lace up the boots next April. But I'm going mad, mad I say, with planning. Most evenings I surf the net, looking for the "just right" trail, I create a walking plan, build spreadsheets, view Youtubes, etc, etc. I think I have lost my mind. From an original Camino Frances in 2011 that enhanced my life (or so I thought) to an obsessive addict looking for the next escape to shangri-la. Please someone, tell me I'm not alone? How do I stop?

Eric
I hear you, brother. How good are all these spreadsheets? I'm guessing pretty good. How about posting them as resources? This will give you a sense of satisfaction, satisfy your camino itch and probably help a lot of other people who are busy planning their camino. What have you got on the Lana, by the way?🥾🥾

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I feel your pain…..Camino Frances in 2019 changed my life and like you I’m a Camino junkie in every respect. Camino plans dashed in 2020 and 2021. We overwinter in Nova Scotia and I head to my Camino training grounds on the trails near Tantalon and Bike ‘n’ Bean to trudge out the training miles through the winter. If you fancy joining me for a day at some point to walk 20K and talk all things Camino, let me know !

@efdoucette, there are far worse things in life you could be addicted to...
The walking (assuming you are doing some as preparation) is keeping you physically active with all the benefits, both body & soul, that entails.
The planning is keeping the brain active, & whether you realise it or not, you're picking up valuable tips which will smooth the path for your actual trip.
I say 'stick with it'...you're not alone & harming no-one (unless there's neglect through your hours of spreadsheet compilation! 😄)...whatever gets you through ay?! 😇
Happy trails...real or imagined.. 🤗
👣 🌏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I hear you, brother. How good are all these spreadsheets? I'm guessing pretty good. How about posting them as resources? This will give you a sense of satisfaction, satisfy your camino itch and probably help a lot of other people who are busy planning their camino. What have you got on the Lana, by the way?🥾🥾
Oh my spreadsheets are just a sketch, for now anyway. And the Lana, haven't looked ... yet.

Most evenings I surf the net, looking for the "just right" trail, I create a walking plan, build spreadsheets, view Youtubes, etc, etc. I think I have lost my mind.
+1

Seville or Cordoba?
Fuente Álamo or Granada or Acinipo and Italica?
Salamanca or Segovia?

The questions I ponder everyday. This week at least, last week it was a different set. With different maps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Eric
It is called Cabin Fever, just make sure that you don't have an axe handy when anyone comes to visit 😉

Eric
Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 11.21.01 PM.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Spain is my favorite, man they know how to create a walking trail.
Hi Eric,
Looks like you live in a special place. How about using your local wandering, pilgrim experiences, spreadsheet and info sourcing skills to create a 'Pilgrim's guide to Nova Scotia'?
There may not be the religious history, but I'd guess there are plenty of triggers for spiritual reflection? You could start it as a blog on this forum and see how it develops from there into a resource...
Hey, I'd follow it!
Cheers, tom

Hi Eric,
Looks like you live in a special place. How about using your local wandering, pilgrim experiences, spreadsheet and info sourcing skills to create a 'Pilgrim's guide to Nova Scotia'?
There may not be the religious history, but I'd guess there are plenty of triggers for spiritual reflection? You could start it as a blog on this forum and see how it develops from there into a resource...
Hey, I'd follow it!
Cheers, tom
Thanks Tom, I'm going to give that some consideration. There is a trail that has my curiosity, I've walked part of it. It's called The Harvest Moon Trail, a 110 km old railbed that links the town of Annapolis Royal (first European settlement in North America, 1605) to the town of Grand Pre (British Deportation of the French Acadians in 1755). Fascinating stuff.
Thanks again for the idea,
Eric

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As someone who spent 2 years memorising the French way guidebook In preparation for my first Camino
i am with you brother ,
its fair to say that sometimes we overthink things , the over side of that coin is that half the pleasure is in the planning and anticipation and when we get there we can just wing it knowing that we have walked that path in our minds a 1000 times already.
I think as obsessions go its a great one to have ,long live the camino obsessives and i look forward to seeing you on the trails , wishing you Buen Camino

Thanks Tom, I'm going to give that some consideration. There is a trail that has my curiosity, I've walked part of it. It's called The Harvest Moon Trail, a 110 km old railbed that links the town of Annapolis Royal (first European settlement in North America, 1605) to the town of Grand Pre (British Deportation of the French Acadians in 1755). Fascinating stuff.

Hi Eric
I really should have typed 'Camino Nova Scotia' into my browser before giving you the 'benefit' of my suggestion!
Looks like there's a fair amount going on already. But as far as I can see, it's all day walking?
Do you think there might be sufficient bed & breakfast/hostels/hotels/campsites to link some together into a route that doesn't require people to get back into their car at the end of each day - I wonder?
Looking at the Harvest Moon Trail, although it looks primarily set up for cyclists (as far as I can see from my desk in the UK!) what's interesting is the partnership that's put it together and maintaining it - like the beginnings of a camino infrastructure..?
Also it was interesting to read this earlier thread on Canadian caminos - in case you haven't seen it
Cheers, tom

Eric
You are not alone!!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Eric
Please DO pursue that! It sounds wonderful and steeped in history!

You're absolutely not alone. Since deciding on going to Spain again in June 2022, I do the same....I KNOW I don;t need the spreadsheets etc because it will be my 5th time on the CF but it's just to satisfy my cravings to be somehow passing the time till it's June. I only have 3 weeks this time and keep changing which stages I walk, which ones to show my (first time Camino) partner , etc etc.... It's great fun. Now the months just need to go by fast :) Happy planning !

Like you,I am always thinking about the last camino.I am walking about half of the GR11 next fall,and find that the planning is half the fun. Be easy with yourself!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Eric
You are not alone. The only way to stop is pack that rucksack and scratch that itch.

Bonjour Éric, I am living in Magdalen Islands, when the wheather is clear I can see Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia⛵….I am touch by your post and I can also feel the pain or the distress in it. I share also the same feeling, sometime I can lose myself on internet it’s quite easy😊 just now I am in the beautifull process of planning my next camino…I started from may be the Norte or the Portuguese…to the Frances and last week-end the Invierno just pop up…when it happened I felt such a great joy…suddenly I knew which way I was going to walk.(thanks to Pelegrina…).So I will start on april the 25th from SJPdP. I am also thinking to spend 3 nights in the monastery in San Domingo de Silos, I love the atmosphere in monasteries and I am found of gregorian chant. I will be a very nice time to pause.

We walk the camino to find ourself…but sometime we can lose ourself « in our mind » in all the preparation work, we can even be lost in our mind when walking. What make the experience of the camino so powerful IMO is that it take us out of our daily routine, out of our comfort zone, it’s a very strong body/mind experience and very often we reach a point where we live in the present moment, touch by the beauty of the landscape, a caterpillar or the smile and the shining eyes of someone saying « buen camino », we get deeply in touch with ourself, deeply in touch with the beauty of the life in a simple and very humble way…that’s Shangri-la. It is very often even hard to put it into words but is powerful, no wonder that we are so many to want to renew such an experience. I know that I have in myself some obsessive dimensions, I try to kept them in the light of my consciousness so they lose a bit of their power. Just now I think that I have enough infos for my camino to come, I can let go and just get my body ready for April…the beauty of the life is unfolding right now as it will in April and May. Buen Camino .

Most evenings I surf the net, looking for the "just right" trail, I create a walking plan, build spreadsheets, view Youtubes, etc, etc.
yep, yep, yep. I have a spreadsheet for my last route and my next route too...and a couple for packing. If you come up with a cure, let me know. Por favor...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Eric
Eric, move over a bit. You are taking space in the same psychiatric care bed I’m in! I am planning my next one in Sept 2022. I’m obsessed… my fiends also think I’ve lost it!

Suspect planning caminos releases endorphins to which I have is be I e addicted! I guess I’ll have to embark on another Camino to clear this obsession.

Eric
Thank yoU Fist I thought it was my tread :D but YES I feel your obsessed situation. Have trust we will be on the never-ending-roads again! For me it will be April 2022 AND w

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For me, it’s a compulsion AND an addiction.
I think about the Camino, and my NEXT Camino, every day. It is always close to the surface of everything I do. My family and friends are at the point where they understand when I bring it up in a normal conversation.
I can’t explain it, it just IS.
At least here on the forum I’ve found a family of fellow addicts and it’s great to share how and where to get my next fix.
‘Buen Camino.

€149,-

Eric

I get it. Never thought of it as loosing my mind though. More like loosing my soul if I didn't.

Since you're not going until April. Here's a little spreadsheet puzzle for you. If you have a list with all your gear. Compare every item with the lightest item on the market, or you can make yourself. And then see how many euros (or cents) you have to pay per gram you save on each item.

But you might just want to take an early flight before you get into that.

Best
Andy

Here's a little spreadsheet puzzle for you. If you have a list with all your gear. Compare every item with the lightest item on the market, or you can make yourself. And then see how many euros (or cents) you have to pay per gram you save on each item.
I. Love. This! 🤣🤣🤣

You're absolutely not alone. Since deciding on going to Spain again in June 2022, I do the same....I KNOW I don;t need the spreadsheets etc because it will be my 5th time on the CF but it's just to satisfy my cravings to be somehow passing the time till it's June. I only have 3 weeks this time and keep changing which stages I walk, which ones to show my (first time Camino) partner , etc etc.... It's great fun. Now the months just need to go by fast :) Happy planning !
What stage are you thinking of walking today?

It seems you are far from alone. I’m with you too. I’m planning my next Camino in April 2022. 3 first timers might be coming with me. I am consumed by the excitement and trepidation of introducing others to the experience. On my first Camino I was walking with a friend and around 10 days or 2 weeks in she was screaming at me ‘come on, you can’t seriously be enjoying this! It is hell. You are lying to yourself, you are all lying to yourselves.’ It was a tough day for her. She stayed and she loved it, as she had for many days before that. For context, it was raining a lot). I’m a little worried how my friends might find the experience. I want them to love it. Like introducing a lover to the family, it’s loaded with anticipation and I manage the uncertainty by using a spreadsheet shared with them in google docs. I suspect they don’t look at it 😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It seems you are far from alone. I’m with you too. I’m planning my next Camino in April 2022. 3 first timers might be coming with me. I am consumed by the excitement and trepidation of introducing others to the experience. On my first Camino I was walking with a friend and around 10 days or 2 weeks in she was screaming at me ‘come on, you can’t seriously be enjoying this! It is hell. You are lying to yourself, you are all lying to yourselves.’ It was a tough day for her. She stayed and she loved it, as she had for many days before that. For context, it was raining a lot). I’m a little worried how my friends might find the experience. I want them to love it. Like introducing a lover to the family, it’s loaded with anticipation and I manage the uncertainty by using a spreadsheet shared with them in google docs. I suspect they don’t look at it 😂
I completely understand you, and share your worries. Don't rise your expectations about your fellow walkers: Firsttimers do not know anything about what to come. It takes time to get into the rythm of the Camino, and not least to hear and understand its calling..

By the time you arrive in Santiago, much may have changed within your friends: Read this story:

Last edited:
Oh how wonderful to know there are so many others with my obsession. Since my first Camino in 2003 on a bike and then first time walk in 2009 I have managed to walk a camino almost every year somewhere in Spain and have gone stir crazy over the last 2 years not able to even contemplate getting out of Australia let alone visiting Spain and had to completely cancel a trip to take my grandchildren in 2020. But we are now allowed to escape and so the obsession is back in full swing so May 2022 it is - where it will take me I am not sure yet. Maybe I will come across some of you in my travels.
I was reading in the posts the idea of creating a camino through Nova Scotia and I wanted to share this with you. It surfaced in my brain when I thought if I can't go to Spain, what can I do here and is a Camino possible with our long distances between towns. It was, and I have trialled some sections of it on foot and cycled the full distance. Lets hope lockdowns don't prevent me coming to Spain again or I might have to develop more routes here in Oz. ;) https://cooeevic.weebly.com/

Hi Eric
I really should have typed 'Camino Nova Scotia' into my browser before giving you the 'benefit' of my suggestion!
Looks like there's a fair amount going on already. But as far as I can see, it's all day walking?
Do you think there might be sufficient bed & breakfast/hostels/hotels/campsites to link some together into a route that doesn't require people to get back into their car at the end of each day - I wonder?
Looking at the Harvest Moon Trail, although it looks primarily set up for cyclists (as far as I can see from my desk in the UK!) what's interesting is the partnership that's put it together and maintaining it - like the beginnings of a camino infrastructure..?
Also it was interesting to read this earlier thread on Canadian caminos - in case you haven't seen it
Cheers, tom
The trail goes through the Annapolis Valley, a rich soil and sun area, great growing conditions, hence the trail name.
You are right on with your research Tom, the communities have done a great job maintaining within their communities, probably some gov't funding over the years, mostly used for walkers and cyclers on day hikes. There are good size towns with facilities including accommodations about every 20 kms.
The only put-off for me is the straight line trail and the coordination to get back to start, and, it being a railbed it is flat, I find that hard on the joints although it is mostly crushed gravel which is pretty soft.
Regards

Bonjour Éric, I am living in Magdalen Islands, when the wheather is clear I can see Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia⛵….I am touch by your post and I can also feel the pain or the distress in it. I share also the same feeling, sometime I can lose myself on internet it’s quite easy😊 just now I am in the beautifull process of planning my next camino…I started from may be the Norte or the Portuguese…to the Frances and last week-end the Invierno just pop up…when it happened I felt such a great joy…suddenly I knew which way I was going to walk.(thanks to Pelegrina…).So I will start on april the 25th from SJPdP. I am also thinking to spend 3 nights in the monastery in San Domingo de Silos, I love the atmosphere in monasteries and I am found of gregorian chant. I will be a very nice time to pause.

We walk the camino to find ourself…but sometime we can lose ourself « in our mind » in all the preparation work, we can even be lost in our mind when walking. What make the experience of the camino so powerful IMO is that it take us out of our daily routine, out of our comfort zone, it’s a very strong body/mind experience and very often we reach a point where we live in the present moment, touch by the beauty of the landscape, a caterpillar or the smile and the shining eyes of someone saying « buen camino », we get deeply in touch with ourself, deeply in touch with the beauty of the life in a simple and very humble way…that’s Shangri-la. It is very often even hard to put it into words but is powerful, no wonder that we are so many to want to renew such an experience. I know that I have in myself some obsessive dimensions, I try to kept them in the light of my consciousness so they lose a bit of their power. Just now I think that I have enough infos for my camino to come, I can let go and just get my body ready for April…the beauty of the life is unfolding right now as it will in April and May. Buen Camino .
Beautiful words, thank you and a Buen Camino to you

€149,-
Thanks for your post, I now feel more normal. Last year I missed the Camino so much I walked out of my house in Herefordshire in England and ended up at my parents place on the south coast 10 days later but it wasn’t quite the same. This year I managed to walk Hadrian’s Wall in the summer, finally a real Camino on the Portuguese Coastal in September and have just managed to do 2 days on the Camino in Gran Canaria during a holiday. I’m already looking forward to the via de la plata next year. It’s an obsession, but it keeps you fit.

For me, it’s a compulsion AND an addiction.
I think about the Camino, and my NEXT Camino, every day. It is always close to the surface of everything I do. My family and friends are at the point where they understand when I bring it up in a normal conversation.
I can’t explain it, it just IS.
At least here on the forum I’ve found a family of fellow addicts and it’s great to share how and where to get my next fix.
‘Buen Camino.
It's cool to have so many like minded people doing something so special as Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Eric
I confess, I've watched the movie, The Way, three times in the last two weeks just to look at the places I've been. Missing the Camino...

Thanks for your post, I now feel more normal. Last year I missed the Camino so much I walked out of my house in Herefordshire in England and ended up at my parents place on the south coast 10 days later but it wasn’t quite the same. This year I managed to walk Hadrian’s Wall in the summer, finally a real Camino on the Portuguese Coastal in September and have just managed to do 2 days on the Camino in Gran Canaria during a holiday. I’m already looking forward to the via de la plata next year. It’s an obsession, but it keeps you fit.
A few years back a friend and I were walking the West Highland Way and got rained out, I mean rained out. So, we moved to the Hadrian's Wall trail, loved it. And yes, it keeps you fit, including the daily training walk at home (more obsession) haha. Buen Camino

€149,-

Eric
Oh, yes. I wish I could go again but life intervenes so i "hang out" here on the Forum, and get out my pix and notes every now and then. In the meantime I remain "car-free" so walk or bus my way around Tacoma. Living near Wright Park helps. As does all your messages! Very best Camino to all!!!

This thread should serve as a warning to anyone tempted to walk the Camino. Beware .... One step and you're hooked. I'm in Pontevedra at present and it's so sad to see these unfortunate people staggering along, heavily loaded, babbling "buen Camino" and pleading with bemused locals for a "cafe con leche grande". At night they congregate in squalid dens to examine one another's bleeding feet. They snore and rustle plastic bags before staggering off like zombies once again, into the freezing darkness.

These addicts will sacrifice anything ... wives, children, family holidays ... in their desperation for a fix. Feeding this craving is the shadowy figure known only as "Ivar", who with his sinister acolytes, or "moderators", are known to the authorities as the Santiago Cartel.

But there's help . . following a family intervention I'm on the road to recovery at last, and next year we're all going on a package holiday together . . . even Las Vegas Disneyland are no longer a hopeless dream, if only I can stay clean. One day at a time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Eric
Hi Eric, I know what you are talking about. Here in Australia still watching and waiting as we open back up to international travel. My heart got racing as I started planning my 2022 Camino. Mozarabe then onto the Via de la Plata. Starting early April. Now reading Tony Kevin's 'Walking the Camino - a modern pilgrimage to Santiago'. Wonderful. This will be my 3rd Camino as El Norte 2020 was cancelled. The more walks I have done, the less need I have for certainty and detailed planning. Quite happy to go with the basics; good light shoes, Ice Breaker multisport socks, no more than 6.5 kg backpack with absolute essentials, two mobile phones, a light hat, a smidge of Spanish, and excitement in my heart. Then its up to what ever the universe brings. For me me it's the completely unexpected human interactions, the landscape, the skies, the whole inner journey, the letting go of my normal need to plan and control. Lets hope we can all get back on the Camino in 2022. Can't wait.

You are not alone in your madness. With me it is not planning routes, it is refining my gear. My pack is constantly being packed and unpacked, and clothes tried on, discarded, weighed. This week the mailman delivered two cheap Froggs Toggs ponchos. I am planning to make them into something resembling an Altus...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think it's an unhealthy level of 'addiction'. Of those of us who've walked before, how many have not got a Camino packing list or camino ideas note(s) on their phone or their (by now) dedicated camino pack always about half ready packed and ready to go or have a collection odds n sods we've picked up as new bits of kit 'for next time'? I still do a 30km local loop walk from time to time just to keep the fitness up to allow me to go at the drop of s hat should the occassion arise. Dreams and making provisional plans for my next walk have been very helpful in keeping hope alive during this Covid emergency. Plan away!

Eric
Drop everything, take your pack and get walking. Everything else comes into its own. Have faith, and you will see!
Blessings from up high.
Christopher

Eric
Lol. Me too. I have 3 Camino guides. Spreadsheets. Google map with all stops marked. My pack sits in the corner of my bedroom. I've tried 5 different pairs of shoes. Wool socks you say, I need to try them out too. I'm OBSESSED. But it feels good. I can't stop either from the minute I open my eyes until I close them at night.....it's all about the Camino.

Been Camino

Eric

Hey Efdoucette, aka Eric,

You and I could be twins. Can't help you with your self-control issues, but perhaps you can channel your obsession into creating your spreadsheets in Google Sheets and posting the links on this forum.

Instead of trying to stop, maybe you can rope the rest of us into your obsessive behavior. Winter is coming and we are all thinking about our next Camino.

I'm ready. Offer me that first drink and I'm off to the races.

Dan

Eric

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This thread should serve as a warning to anyone tempted to walk the Camino.

But there's help . . following a family intervention I'm on the road to recovery at last, and next year we're all going on a package holiday together . . . even Las Vegas Disneyland are no longer a hopeless dream, if only I can stay clean. One day at a time.
My family tried to do the same trick to me, but I saw through it, easily.

I am now contemplating whether to go to Spain on 15th. or 16th of March. Planning has started.

Eric
Problem solved. I’m flashing back to the 70s when nothing was planned except a starting location and let the universe direct you. Travel to SJDP in France and spend the first night in a hostel. The rest will then unfold.

Eric
hmmmm

I'd suggest a few things.

If you're more of a "hiker" than a pilgrim, then go for it ; it's anyway the right track.

But as to the Camino, the less planned is the better. Just turn up, start walking, then let the Way and the Pilgrims guide you. Spreadsheets are not the Way of Saint James.

Eric
I have not yet walked my first one and I am doing the same.
Well, not so much the charts,
but youtubing, reading, writing..... yeah.
I guess I caught the bug.... 🤣😂🤣😂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Okay, I never thought that my opening post would bring so many of you to comment, but here you are, obviously as crazy as I am, good on ya, glad I found ya, what a team!!!
So, I feel obliged to say something, so here's this. I've been at this for awhile and have "travel walked" many countries and trails. Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Switzerland, Scotland, England, Peru, North Vietnam ...
What I typically do, now that I am in my late 60s and sleep in private rooms (no more albergues, just a personal choice), is sketch out the first 4 or 5 days before I leave. How to get to the trailhead, daily distances, accommodations, gear adjustments, etc, all nailed down via research and even the dreaded spreadsheet to help me get organized. Four or five days gets me started and I don't have to think, the logistics are in place. That allows me to get over jet lag, get my legs and brain working. Generally, just sort myself out, walk and enjoy. After that I make it up as I go along.
Compulsive??? well, that's the way I roll ... :)
Oh, and next year, it's kinda looking like the Olvidado
Best regards,
Eric

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Eric
Eric, I feel the same as in in doing the Camino in two years. I went on the Camino every year and looked forward to. Trust me it will get better next year for sure which will be my twelfth Camino. Be hopeful.

Eric, I feel the same as in in doing the Camino in two years. I went on the Camino every year and looked forward to. Trust me it will get better next year for sure which will be my twelfth Camino. Be hopeful.
Thanks, and to you too, always hopeful

Eric
ERIC, I too continually contemplate the Camino. I get to go on my 2nd one March 22nd thanks to my wife. I just finished hiking the Grand Canyon. It was one of the hardest hikes I've done. 5 hours of down hill hiking, a 10 mile day hike the next day, then a 6.5 hour all up hill return to the top. I wasn't expecting the hike to be Caminoesque but it turned out that way. Each of our group met a person that influenced them as well as Day hikers coming down from the top knew that we had been hiking for a long time by the expression on our faces and the 35 lb packs we were schlepping up the hill. They cheered us on. It inspired me that not everyone can do what we did. I was soooo exhausted and continuously think about our trek.....one of the 7 wonders of the world. Go for it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have not yet walked my first one and I am doing the same.
Well, not so much the charts,
but youtubing, reading, writing..... yeah.
I guess I caught the bug.... 🤣😂🤣😂
I started a blog or diary a year before I went on trailjournals.com. and continued making entries when I finally was able to go. Then I printed up my journal and made an album out of it.

You like spreadsheets? I could really use a couple of lessons on how to use them. I want to computerize our hospitalero scheduling, and I don't know where to begin... This is camino business, and something you can do in this long winter to help the cause! Get in touch!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You like spreadsheets? I could really use a couple of lessons on how to use them. I want to computerize our hospitalero scheduling, and I don't know where to begin... This is camino business, and something you can do in this long winter to help the cause! Get in touch!
Yes I know spreadsheets. I will send you a message later tonight or tomorrow, grandchildren are coming for a visit soon.

Brother, you're not alone. I feel exactly the same way & do just what you've been doing. It's been 2 years for me too and a long 2 it's been. But finally I'm leaving in 2 days for a local camino. It's not in Spain but it'll have to do. Hopefully by the Spring Europe will be possible for me.

Brother, you're not alone. I feel exactly the same way & do just what you've been doing. It's been 2 years for me too and a long 2 it's been. But finally I'm leaving in 2 days for a local camino. It's not in Spain but it'll have to do. Hopefully by the Spring Europe will be possible for me.
Well Buen Camino brother, have a great walk. Fill me in sometime.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I feel no compulsion to walk a Camino. I feel no compulsion to walk a Camino. I feel no compulsion to walk a Camino…

It’s not working 😉
Bloody hell man, that’s so funny Tinca!!
I volunteer to treat you all for your obsessions. Treatment starts in April 22 at St. Jean Pied de Port, 6 am sharp. I’ll have you all cured in no less than 30 days.

Last edited:
I just finished hiking the Grand Canyon. It was one of the hardest hikes I've done. 5 hours of down hill hiking, a 10 mile day hike the next day, then a 6.5 hour all up hill return to the top.
It is great, isn't it. We hiked it in early March some years back. It was Winter at the top, Spring half way down and Summer at the bottom. We slept outside, under the stars at the bottom.

I can still remember the quiet rustle of air through feathers as an Eagle soared, just out of reach and the beautiful Spring flowers hugging the wall on the way down.

It was much more head-down on the way back up the next day although we probably did stop, to admire the view of course, a couple of times on the way up.

We met three delightful ladies in their 70's, from Florida, on the way up and chatted to them at the top. One had a heart condition and when I asked her if it was wise for her to do such an exhausting hike she replied "If I die doing this then at least I will die doing something that I love".
Day hikers coming down from the top knew that we had been hiking for a long time by the expression on our faces and the 35 lb packs we were schlepping up the hill.
Why did you carry such heavy packs? All we carried was a couple of sleeping bags and water. We figured that there was plenty of time to eat when we got back to the top.

There was some sort of hut at the bottom when we did it. We didn't stay there but I think that is where we refilled our water.
It inspired me that not everyone can do what we did. I was soooo exhausted and continuously think about our trek.....one of the 7 wonders of the world. Go for it!
🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️

€83,-
It is great, isn't it. We hiked it in early March some years back. It was Winter at the top, Spring half way down and Summer at the bottom. We slept outside, under the stars at the bottom.

I can still remember the quiet rustle of air through feathers as an Eagle soared, just out of reach and the beautiful Spring flowers hugging the wall on the way down.

It was much more head-down on the way back up the next day although we probably did stop, to admire the view of course, a couple of times on the way up.

We met three delightful ladies in their 70's, from Florida, on the way up and chatted to them at the top. One had a heart condition and when I asked her if it was wise for her to do such an exhausting hike she replied "If I die doing this then at least I will die doing something that I love".

Why did you carry such heavy packs? All we carried was a couple of sleeping bags and water. We figured that there was plenty of time to eat when we got back to the top.

There was some sort of hut at the bottom when we did it. We didn't stay there but I think that is where we refilled our water.

🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️
We obtained a coveted camping permit at Bright Angel Campground and stayed two nights. We didn't food share or share tents. Basically we all carried what we needed as if we were alone. The second day we also did a day 10 mile hike to Ribbon Falls. A rain storm came through the first night with 30 mph winds and our camp got flooded. We had to move to higher ground. But we survived. LOL.......

Yes I know spreadsheets. I will send you a message later tonight or tomorrow, grandchildren are coming for a visit soon.
Did you get my message?

Eric
I’d love to help you and I can because we are both in the same Camino asylum!

Eric
Hello fellow Bluenoser :) I would recommend you to just go out and do a Camino again! Failing that, maybe take up something like geocaching? I have been all over our province (and the world) geocaching and hiking places I would never have gone without there being a cache out there along a trail. It gets you off the couch and into nature. I will go for 4 hours a day on the trails in our province to clear my head. I highly recommend :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.