• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I think I'm ready!?

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Time of past OR future Camino
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
OK, Just got plane ticket from LA to Madrid. Arriving on 16 May and leaving 31 May. Still trying to decide on train or bus to Santiago. Have a total of 14 days and plan on taking 5 to 6 days to do the Ingles.

Gear list:
Osprey Tallon 44
Platapus 2l hydration bag
REI travel down bag
Sea to Summit Reactor liner
Thermarest air mattress
space blanket (bed bug shield/ground cloth/shelter/blanket)
Big Agnes air pillow
1 change of clothes synthetic undies, shirt long and short sleeve, zip off pants
1 pair skins (long johns)
2 pair Wig Wam wool socks
1 down sweater/jacket
1 fleece
poncho
toiletries/towel/flipflops
camera with charger
nook tablet with charging system
head lamp

I will wear my other trekking clothes on plane and carry documents, money and miscellaneous in compact day bag. Any suggestions on gear list or how to get from Madrid to Santiago? Whats the usual weather like that time of year. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Urban Trekker

Your packing list sounds more or less like it has everything I plan to carry on my trip in September. Can you give me an idea of the weight?

Thanks

As you will be walking in May, I am wondering if you have considered that it will be warm to hot. I have only been walking in September, but it is warm to hot then, and I only used a sleeping bag liner. Will you really need a sweater AND a fleece, and long johns. Why will you need a pillow and a Thermarest when 99% of albergues supply them. Have you considered the times of sunrise and sunset and your need for a headlight. It will be light from about 5 am to 10 pm. If it is for use during the middle of the night, it is guaranteed to disturb sleepers. Much better to take a small plastic torch so that you can direct the beam.
Check out Vuela Airlines for flights from Madrid to Santiago - airfares within Spain are very cheap, often as cheap as bus fares. You will be arriving at Badajoz Airport at Madrid from which flights to Santiago depart - so simple.
Whatever you decide, buen camino, David

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I'm back again. I meant Vueling not Vuela Airlines. I have checked times and fares. Alsa bus (alsa.com) is about $47 and takes 10 hrs with a bus from Madrid Airport at 0945. Vueling (vueling.com) has a range of fares from about $76 up, and takes 9 hrs with a bad connection. Renfe trains (renfe .com) take about 10 hrs with a connection. Renfe has an unfriendly web site and I gave up trying to get a fare, so try other web site such as europetrains.com.
Best of luck - David

It might be warm, but then again it might be cool at night. If you feel the cold you might be glad of the extra layer and the sleeping bag. :) We were, also in May.

Camino David. I live in the Sierras and have lived in the pacific north west. Out here in the back country if you don't have it you didn't need it or if you don't have it your dead. So I try to pick equipment that is multi purpose if I can. The down sweater as we call it over here is a ultra lite down jacket that compresses to the size of a large orange but weighs less than the orange. Skins can double as jps and long sleeve shirt. Head lamp has red light for night use and direction is adjustable up or down. I don't plan on getting stuck out at night but I'm going to be ready for it. Thanks for the heads up on Vuela Airlines I'll look into it. :)

Tia Valeria. That was my though process too. I know that a lot of people sleep with their clothes on, I for one can't. :oops:

Light of the Moon, with 2l of water just over 10k. Without water 8k. :(

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back