• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I think my Camino 'Lessons' have started....

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I was really irritated.........

Even though my flight is still many months away, Emirates have decided to change my Dubai - Madrid flight for 'engineering' reasons.

My carefully planned itinerary, allowed for a bit of work on the way to my Camino........

1. A flight Sydney-Dubai.
  2. A 2 day stopover for some business meetings.
  3. A flight Dubai-Madrid leaving early, that would get me into central Madrid by midday.
  4. Lunch meeting in Madrid.
  5. Train to Sevilla later afternoon.
  6. And a free day in Sevilla before starting my Camino.
But my flight to Madrid is delayed 7+ hours.
No time for Madrid meeting.
Won't even make the last train to Sevilla.
Meaning an overnight in Madrid and a very short day in Sevilla for sightseeing......

:( :( :(

But hang on!! 🤔🤔

1. I can do my Dubai Meetings in one day.
  2. I can leave Dubai a day earlier.
  3. No plans or meetings disrupted at all.
  4. No rushing around.
  5. Plenty of time for sightseeing in Sevilla
  6. and.......if I manage to stick roughly to my very rough walking plan........with the extra day......I'll be in an awesome place for my Birthday
The Camino is showing me the way already....... 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It´s funny how we get fussy about thigs, right?
I have a trip to France in 6 months time (not camino related, but I will search for 'Saint Jacques' sites ;) ) and Singapore airlines changed my flights as well. I got flustered for losing time in my last day in France and going from a 3h to a 12h stopover in Singapore.
But then... hey, isn´t Singapore a lovely place? I'll just hop off the airport and explore! And I'll book the airport hotel if I actually just feel like sleeping horizontally!
The camino lessons really provide :)

I wouldn't bother rescheduling the lunch meetings yet

Hahaha, indeed, there's always a chance airlines will change everything back :p

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wouldn't bother rescheduling the lunch meetings yet! 😅
Yep. Nothing seems safe about schedules any more. Attached are the changes made on the morning of a recent flight to Perth!

At the airport, I got a lecture about arriving in time for my flight!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220901-105900_Qantas.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-105900_Qantas.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20220901-105910_Qantas.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-105910_Qantas.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It´s funny how we get fussy about thigs, right?
I have a trip to France in 6 months time (not camino related, but I will search for 'Saint Jacques' sites ;) ) and Singapore airlines changed my flights as well. I got flustered for losing time in my last day in France and going from a 3h to a 12h stopover in Singapore.
But then... hey, isn´t Singapore a lovely place? I'll just hop off the airport and explore! And I'll book the airport hotel if I actually just feel like sleeping horizontally!
The camino lessons really provide :)

Hahaha, indeed, there's always a chance airlines will change everything back :p
If the 12 hour stopover is down to Sing Air then you should be entitled to a free hotel room. Ask them anyway. Cheers

Yep. Nothing seems safe about schedules any more. Attached are the changes made on the morning of a recent flight to Perth!

At the airport, I got a lecture about arriving in time for my flight!
The same thing heppened to me! Lufthansa moved my flight to the next day due to a pilot strike. I lost one day of holidays and there's nobody you can talk to anymore, just bots in their webpage.

While the camino was great, I find that getting there and out with air travel is horrendous these days: hordes of rude people and no time or nowhere to catch you your breath. You must always be alert for announcements, passport controls, or places to be herded like cattle.

The worst was security controls at the Newark Airport where you get yelled for everything.

I am working on remembering the good things about my camino during these times, but it's trying!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Even though my flight is still many months away, Emirates have decided to change my Dubai - Madrid flight for 'engineering' reasons.

My carefully planned itinerary, allowed for a bit of work on the way to my Camino........

3. A flight Dubai-Madrid leaving early, that would get me into central Madrid by midday.
Meaning an overnight in Madrid and a very short day in Sevilla for sightseeing......

But hang on!! 🤔🤔

4. No rushing around.
  6. and.......if I manage to stick roughly to my very rough walking plan........with the extra day......I'll be in an awesome place for my Birthday
And mine continues here at home. Flight scheduled from Denver to Tampa to visit 92 years old father. Flight cancelled last minute, no reason, new flight included stopover in Vegas. Got on flight mechanical problems, missed connection, got off plane, no recourse from airline except refund. Lost airline money and car rental money. We'll be seeing a lot more of this in the future I'm afraid. Hopefully the Camino will provide down the line. 😁😁

But hang on!! 🤔🤔

4. No rushing around.
I am currently walking the Portuguese Coastal Way. At the last moment I decided to check in a small suitcase ahead of my flight leaving Melbourne, which was delayed by 2 hours, eating up the stopover time in Dubai to connect to Lisbon flight. As a result my case was 4 days later than me arriving in Porto, which lead to delays and aggravation. Lesson learned - that extra “stuff” I thought I needed to bring with was really not worth the hassle. If you can possibly avoid checking in luggage then don’t.

But hang on!! 🤔🤔

4. No rushing around.
Why are you starting in Sevilla? Too many aims...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am currently walking the Portuguese Coastal Way. At the last moment I decided to check in a small suitcase ahead of my flight leaving Melbourne, which was delayed by 2 hours, eating up the stopover time in Dubai to connect to Lisbon flight. As a result my case was 4 days later than me arriving in Porto, which lead to delays and aggravation. Lesson learned - that extra “stuff” I thought I needed to bring with was really not worth the hassle. If you can possibly avoid checking in luggage then don’t.
From my experience this is an unusual result from Emirates. In past transits through Dubai I have had stop-overs of less than 80 minutes and my checked luggage has always arrived with me. To be honest I do travel Business Class so not sure if this contributes to the luggage being transferred. In the case I referred to it took me nearly 30 mins to get from the aircraft (at the far end of Terminal C) to Terminal A even with a ride on the priority cart.

On the minus side though you miss sightseeing in Dubai and using your Arabic.
I've been there before. Not really my kinda place.
And it's just for a couple of business meetings.
I'd much rather trade a day in Dubai for a day in Sevilla ;)

And once I hit Sevilla. I disconnect for 60 days!! 🙂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While walking the CF last year (in fact almost exactly one year ago), somewhere around Day 14 while in Burgos, I was notified by Iberia that my flight home was cancelled "due to Covid"...in October, no further explanation or assistance provided, and I didn't really have the time to just sit and wait on the phone to get it sorted, so I had to scramble to get a new flight back, at a higher cost. And then to add insult to injury, as it were, Iberia refused to refund the fare I'd already paid. I had to report them to the US DOT once I returned home to get them to refund my money.

I had more flight schedule change issues this summer flying to Italy for vacation.

As @dougfitz says,
Nothing seems safe about schedules any more

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back