• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I think that’s it - Camino Angel

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
After recently completing a hobbled and modified Camino Portuguese (walked from Lisbon to Santarem...train to Porto...4 day recovery...walk to Santiago de Compostela) and having previously completed 5 Camino routes totalling approximately 3,000 kms I think that’s it. Time to move on to other walks...maybe South West Coastal Path?

Many memorable moments over these 105 days of walking however a recent experience on the Camino Portuguese meeting what I consider a Camino Angel tops them all.

I would like to end my posts on this great forum with a little story.

In a previous post I noted that my Camino Portuguese walk from Lisbon did not go as planned...not even close!

I had to take the train from Santarem to Porto due to very bad blisters and here I met Dr. Olga of the Vita Saude Clinic.

Late on a Friday afternoon she treated me for well over an hour with utmost care and compassion (no one likes to change plans!). All for 40 Euros and providing her private cell number in case I needed help over the weekend (bed rest Dr.’s orders!)

On Monday afternoon a followup visit where Dr. Olga was very encouraging and told me that a Camino restart was possible with various caveats. Once again she provided her cell number in case I needed help.

Problems developed and both the following Saturday and Sunday we called Dr. Olga (she was not working) and she called back both times and patiently modified the approach.

The following Thursday (a full two weeks after seeing Dr. Olga for the first time) Dr. Olga phoned us as 10:00 in the evening to say she was worried about how I was doing as she had not heard from me since the weekend!!!

Dr. Olga was my Camino Angel and a person and an experience I will never ever forget. I would never have made it to Santiago de Compostela without her help. While I have thanked Dr. Olga post Camino there is no way I can convey my real appreciation.

By posting this I am trying to do so...one meets fantastic people along the Way.

Great memory!

Guy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Indeed Camino angels will find you when you need them most.

After recently completing a hobbled and modified Camino Portuguese (walked from Lisbon to Santarem...train to Porto...4 day recovery...walk to Santiago de Compostela) and having previously completed 5 Camino routes totalling approximately 3,000 kms I think that’s it. Time to move on to other walks...maybe South West Coastal Path?

Many memorable moments over these 105 days of walking however a recent experience on the Camino Portuguese meeting what I consider a Camino Angel tops them all.

I would like to end my posts on this great forum with a little story.

In a previous post I noted that my Camino Portuguese walk from Lisbon did not go as planned...not even close!

I had to take the train from Santarem to Porto due to very bad blisters and here I met Dr. Olga of the Vita Saude Clinic.

Late on a Friday afternoon she treated me for well over an hour with utmost care and compassion (no one likes to change plans!). All for 40 Euros and providing her private cell number in case I needed help over the weekend (bed rest Dr.’s orders!)

On Monday afternoon a followup visit where Dr. Olga was very encouraging and told me that a Camino restart was possible with various caveats. Once again she provided her cell number in case I needed help.

Problems developed and both the following Saturday and Sunday we called Dr. Olga (she was not working) and she called back both times and patiently modified the approach.

The following Thursday (a full two weeks after seeing Dr. Olga for the first time) Dr. Olga phoned us as 10:00 in the evening to say she was worried about how I was doing as she had not heard from me since the weekend!!!

Dr. Olga was my Camino Angel and a person and an experience I will never ever forget. I would never have made it to Santiago de Compostela without her help. While I have thanked Dr. Olga post Camino there is no way I can convey my real appreciation.

By posting this I am trying to do so...one meets fantastic people along the Way.

Great memory!

Guy

Dear Guy,
I'm so sorry to hear your foot troubles but although one of those wonderful Angels helped you, I do beg you to reconsider exactly where you think you might walk next. I live in Dorset and have seen most of the South West Path - and it is NOT AN EASY WALK.
I hope I'm not offending any advertising rules but please do read Stephen Reynolds book "Just off for a walk". It puts the South West Path in perspective. That's all.

Jo
Old Dorset Tortoise

Dear Guy,
I'm so sorry to hear your foot troubles but although one of those wonderful Angels helped you, I do beg you to reconsider exactly where you think you might walk next. I live in Dorset and have seen most of the South West Path - and it is NOT AN EASY WALK.
I hope I'm not offending any advertising rules but please do read Stephen Reynolds book "Just off for a walk". It puts the South West Path in perspective. That's all.

Jo
Old Dorset Tortoise

As fellow Dorset residents we train on the Coastal path for an easy Camino. Admittedly, we don't do 34 days non stop which does add an extra challenge!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.