• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I Thought I Was Starting In Sevilla But The Camino Wanted Me To Start In Lesotho, Africa.

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
As my journey from Nairobi to Johannesburg is ending I found myself thinking about my Camino Via de la Plata which I was planning to start in Sevilla, Spain in 10 days. Then during a visit yesterday to the local witchdoctor in the little village of Matsoaing, Lesotho, I learned there was a Church of St. James (Santiago)12K away and an old winding dirt road through the hills back to Matsoaing.

So of course after my consultation with the witchdoctor I got a ride to the church and said my daily Camino prayer and then started walking back.

Such powerful Camino feelings as there were opportunities to be of service and assist some locals with their loads since I was not burdened with a backpack.

A very special 2 days in Lesotho. A mountain kingdom reminiscent of Nepal. The family at our homestay was lovely, Mkune the grandmother and her 25 year old grandson, Enpho. He lost his father at 3 when he was shot by cattle rustlers. His mother was poisoned and killed by a neighbor when he was 6. His grandmother then raised him telling him he was the man of the house as she had only daughters. So sad. But they are both lovely people and I feel blessed to be with them. Sat by the fire with them yesterday in the predawn.

No electricity in the house but we danced and sang around the fire at night after dinner. Then visited the shepherd school for young boys many of who are orphans. Their classes are at night when shepherd duties are done.

As I was preparing to leave Matsoaing on a bus back to South Africa I realized I had left my Camino prayer stone back at the witchdoctor’s. So my friend Enpho jumped onto his horse and raced to retrieve it in time for me to catch my ride.

You never know when or where The Camino is going to touch you.

From the blog of www.thesenioradventurer.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is good everywhere, if you look for it. And if you provide the good to another as well. Even through deep sorrow and struggle, there is kindness that shines through.

As my journey from Nairobi to Johannesburg is ending I found myself thinking about my Camino Via de la Plata which I was planning to start in Sevilla, Spain in 10 days. Then during a visit yesterday to the local witchdoctor in the little village of Matsoaing, Lesotho, I learned there was a Church of St. James (Santiago)12K away and an old winding dirt road through the hills back to Matsoaing.

So of course after my consultation with the witchdoctor I got a ride to the church and said my daily Camino prayer and then started walking back.

Such powerful Camino feelings as there were opportunities to be of service and assist some locals with their loads since I was not burdened with a backpack.

A very special 2 days in Lesotho. A mountain kingdom reminiscent of Nepal. The family at our homestay was lovely, Mkune the grandmother and her 25 year old grandson, Enpho. He lost his father at 3 when he was shot by cattle rustlers. His mother was poisoned and killed by a neighbor when he was 6. His grandmother then raised him telling him he was the man of the house as she had only daughters. So sad. But they are both lovely people and I feel blessed to be with them. Sat by the fire with them yesterday in the predawn.

No electricity in the house but we danced and sang around the fire at night after dinner. Then visited the shepherd school for young boys many of who are orphans. Their classes are at night when shepherd duties are done.

As I was preparing to leave Matsoaing on a bus back to South Africa I realized I had left my Camino prayer stone back at the witchdoctor’s. So my friend Enpho jumped onto his horse and raced to retrieve it in time for me to catch my ride.

You never know when or where The Camino is going to touch you.

From the blog of www.thesenioradventurer.com
Thank- you for this post. I was in Lesotho long ago (1991) and still have vivid memories of the place. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back