• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I used to be decisive, but now I'm not sure.

merrellj

I can imagine what response I am going to get (!!), but I am seriously thinking about bringing a second, spare pair of boots with me in addition to the open sandals I will be carrying to change out of my boots after each day's walk.

Is this totally ludicrous or is there possibly a grain of sense in doing so. I'm wondering whether I might need a change because of wear and tear over 800k, whether it's worthwhile to have a dry change, or for whatever other reason related to belt and braces back-up and the potential expense of both time and money of having to find another pair en route.

Or is another 1.5/2kg (guestimate) going to be just too much extra weight to carry.

Would value your thoughts, and will be interesting to see if there are any other caminante who have doubled up previously.

PS. Have not seen Martin Sheen's film yet, but noticed on the dvd sleeve that he has a shoe box attached to the outer of his pack. Perhaps he had to buy some en route!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Er, no, it's REALLY not a shoe box he's carrying in the film!

Personally I wouldn't want to carry the extra weight of a second pair of boots, but I do see some sense in your point about what happens if your boots get soaked. Now, if you're staying in refugios etc then you could probably dry them out (especially if you stuff them with newspaper overnight - classic hiking tip). But if you're really worried then why not carry lightweight trekking shoes as your backup pair instead of full-blown boots? This might also come in useful as a change of footwear if your boots cause blisters along the way

I used to make decisions, regular, frequent before breakfast decisions, several a day, that could have profound affects on peoples lives and livelihoods. Now I prevaricate over liquid soap, Sabin de marseille, smelling like a polecat. Should I take one thermal and two hot weather vests or the contrary.
Two pairs of boots? Wow!
Last time I was there, sadly before the universal use of the Ficton as a unit of currency became unfashionable, you could buy boots in Spain if you managed to wear a pair out. The soggy boot scenario is a bit more likely but as Breakinthclouds says a couple of spent newspapers(or some dry bracken, leaves etc) can make the morning "fringing of the boot" ritual measurably more pleasant.

There is much comment on this forum and elsewhere to (hopefully) convince you that less really is more. Especially on a long journey on foot. Tread lightly upon this earth and your feet will thank you for it.

Buen (light footed) Camino

And ps, it really, really, isn't a shoe box

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
ok, had a close up look on play.com by zooming in on the cover and can now see that it's not a shoe box, so won't be emulating Martin Sheen by taking two pairs!

Unless it's going to spoil my viewing post return from the camino, do I need to know what it actually is?

Not sure what my all-up pack weight is going to be like yet, so have time yet to make the final decision.

merrellj said:
... but I am seriously thinking about bringing a second, spare pair of boots with me in addition to the open sandals
Think again! Your open sandals can, most of the time, be a substitute for your boots. Lots of people don't even wear boots, some go barefoot (not recommended). :lol:

What would be your plan after two days of rain when both pairs of boots are wet and won't dry because of the humidity? Whatever you would do, you could do it with a single pair of wet boots!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Two pairs of boots is way overkill.
Spain is a developed nation and you pass through a city every 200 kms. If you need new footwear, buy it in Spain.

On the Via de la Plata, Seville to Santiago, in 2010 I mailed my boots home after 200 kms because of blisters and purchased some inexpensive running shoes. Not only did they allow my feet to heal while I walked, they were light weight yet provided all the support I required.

I got caught outside in a couple of rain storms and the shoes got soaked, but even wet, they didn't blister my feet. I stuffed them with newspaper and they dried out over night.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Merrelij,
No matter what time of year you're walking I think one pair of boots is enough. Even if your boots 'turn rogue' on you as boots can there are Decathlon and other sporting outlets at the towns and cities along the route where you can buy cheap replacement boots (or even expensive replacement ones if you like :) ) We went to the Decathlon in Logrono and got great lightweight boots for my friend and replacement over trousers for myself.
Well if you know the outline of the story then you'll probably guess the function of the box But don't worry when you're walking you won't give a rambling damn what Martin Sheen had in/on his pack your only focus will be getting rid of as much of your surplus 'stuff' as you can :wink:
Enjoy.

nellpilgrim said:
...when you're walking you won't give a rambling damn what Martin Sheen had in/on his pac your only focus will be to getting rid of as much of your surplus 'stuff' as you can :wink:
Enjoy.

I second that! Been there, done that. First person in line in front of Pamplona's post office before it opened in the morning! :lol:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back