• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I want to go back!

Storyteller Matt

Storyteller Matt
Time of past OR future Camino
Three months ago, I posted from the Camino. I was suffering. I was in pain. I had thrown out my back and gotten sick from some parasite in the water at one of the villages. I felt alone; I had started in Sarria, and it seemed like I was a rookie coming in at the end of a movie.

It was my first Camino, a mere 114 km (or 118 if you believe the compostela), a chance to dip my toe in the water, and even that short walk of seven days was so intense for me that I vowed I would not come back. Okay, I told myself, you got a taste of it; time to move on.

And now...

Here I am back in the so-called real world, and all I can think about is getting back to the Camino. I'm walking 5-10 km every day, working out, shopping for new shoes, and buying up vacation time that will roll over to 2020... a whole damn two years away!

I never would have thought something so challenging and, yeah, at times so miserable would get under my skin like that. But I'm going back, and this time I'm doing the whole thing.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I shared a beer with a German Pilgrim just past Pamplona last year. His english was spotty, but his meaning was clear enough. After determining that neither of us was on our first walk, he narrowed his eyes, leaned forward, and stated with utter conviction "This Camino is like opium....". Indeed, for some of us, it is.

I get it. We did CF from SJPP in 2017. Now talking about when we can do it again. Funny thing is most of our family and friends think it was strange that we did it ONCE, much less why we would do it again. Only people who have done it seem to understand the attraction and why we miss it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
By all means just go walk it again.
I no longer fight it. I just do it. By now my friends and family no longer ask why I want to walk it multiple times. The first few times I was asked why, I simply told them to research the Camino via one of the guidebooks, or perhaps one of the better youtube videos about it. I also tell them walking it brings me happiness and inner peace. Two things that everyone deserves to have even if it is a distant thing for some.

Three months ago, I posted from the Camino. I was suffering. I was in pain. I had thrown out my back and gotten sick from some parasite in the water at one of the villages. I felt alone; I had started in Sarria, and it seemed like I was a rookie coming in at the end of a movie.

It was my first Camino, a mere 114 km (or 118 if you believe the compostela), a chance to dip my toe in the water, and even that short walk of seven days was so intense for me that I vowed I would not come back. Okay, I told myself, you got a taste of it; time to move on.

And now...

Here I am back in the so-called real world, and all I can think about is getting back to the Camino. I'm walking 5-10 km every day, working out, shopping for new shoes, and buying up vacation time that will roll over to 2020... a whole damn two years away!

I never would have thought something so challenging and, yeah, at times so miserable would get under my skin like that. But I'm going back, and this time I'm doing the whole thing.
I remember your posts from the Camino. It is amazing how it gets into your soul. Yours is a transformative story. I look forward to reading your posts when you are back on the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

And now...

Now you know why so many “veterans” are always on forum.

Welcome to Club Recitivists!

Ee lad. In my day we would have 'dreamed' of that.
Parasite in't water? We didn't have water!
We had to suck moisture out of the grass to stop dehydration........

Sorry, a slight Monty Python moment there...... :oops:
For a bonus point, who is the guy on the right? :)

Welcome to the Camino Addicts Club ;);)

Sorry @andywild ............. I think I saw a squirrel............. :oops:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Robo.........Marty Feldman o_O . I have just ordered another credential from Ivar , will there be a place for my point ?

Hi Matt welcome to the club despite what some of the other post Ihave made may suggest there is nothing I love more than to see that far away glint in another pilgrims eye, that means, to Quote General McArthur, “I’ll be back” and it is true to say it is a drug which is all consuming and I for one get abrasive if I have not got some sort of camino fix every year. Last year it was St Jean to Logrono, this year Astorga to Santiago a very good two week stroll Go for it Matt you will not regret it and I have only ever had bottled water never had a parasite nor bed bug.

It's strange isn't it? I've had blisters on both of my camino experiences, and had some days where the legs start to trudge, and a long flat straight looks miserable. But once its done, it keeps wheedling its way back into my mind.

There's a little something for each part of the personality in a long walk. The time to think, reflect and to remind yourself what's most important. There's the physical exercise. Then there's meeting interesting people from across the world, each with their own perspective.

Roll on September 2019 for me!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

And now...

Key the Woody Guthrie music: oh give me land, lots of land and the starry nights above, don’t fence me in...it’s just the life of a hobo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

And now...

It is an addiction. You will go back again and again if your addiction is anything like mine. March 2013, I walked from Pamplona to Castrojeriz. Wet weather and deep mud convinced me the camino was not for me so I went home. By July, I was convinced I should finish it and September saw me walking again. That was it. Goal had been achieved. Never again. 2014 found me on a cruise that stopped in Vigo. Santiago was calling even though I was not walking so got a bus and found that I really felt at home not in a strange city as a tourist. I felt like I belonged. 2015 found me crossing the Pyrenees early April and into Santiago mid May. That has to be enough. But then another cruise stopped in Vigo and my son and I were on that bus again. I just could not stay away. Then Pope Francis made me go back. He declared a Jubilee or Holy Year of Mercy so the Holy Door would be open. Well, if the Papa opened the door for me it would be rude to not go back so 2016, I was off again. Once again, I vowed never to go back and I stuck to that for 2017 but it was just too much. April this year I was back in the Pyrenees. An unfortunate event curtailed my trip so Burgos was as far as I went. Am I going back. Of course I am not. No way will I set foot on the camino again.....well, not in 2019. 2020 now, thats a whole other kettle of fish ;);)

Sometimes I think for all the great accomplishments of modern convenience and technology we've trapped ourselves and do not realize it. The camino is a small glimpse into freedom for some. A struggle, being uncomfortable, and having community are things taken for granted or often lost in some places now. The number one for me will always be the people. It would do everyone in the world good to get out from behind their social media and come face to face with each other for some honest conversations and a few drinks ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

And now...

Welcome to those of us who suffer from the Camino Curse. I have walked the entire Camino Frances twice and can hardly wait to go back again to celebrate my 75th birthday in 2020. Buen Camino!

And now...

Here we go again: Another addict has emerged. Welcome to the club.

I was reading your posts from the Camino, thinking: "The Camino will work on him back home".

Buen Camino!
Ultreya!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But I'm going back, and this time I'm doing the whole thing.

I’m so glad you’re thinking of doing it again, and a longer one this time.

Your posts from September really touched me. They were so honest and open, and I also learned a lot from all the thoughtful responses you received from others, which I’m thankful for.

And now...

Hi Matt. I know the suffering and pain you're talking about, even if - luckily - I didn't suffer much on the Camino. I've been there four times, in both Camino Frances and Via Podiensis, and this year I might do the Camino Norte. But the Camino Frances is something special, so I haven't quite decided yet.
I use to drink the local water and luckily never had any problem, nor with bed bugs though I heard others being bothered.
See you maybe on the Camino in 2020 - I will continue walking as long as my legs permit.

It puts a smile on my face to read about this Camino addiction!! I have dipped in and out getting as far as Leon in three visits but am well and truly converted. The Camino is just amazing. Of course I fought the Camino but thank God I lost and it bore incredible gifts of friendship and sheer fun!!
I feel the need for total immersion!! So when the opportunity appears I look forward to getting back to SJPdeP and having the entire 800 kms PLUS ahead of me!!

Thanks and love; Liam

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

And now...

The pull of the Camino magnetism does not stop drawing you back.

It’s hard to explain the pull of the Camino to those who haven’t been. I completed the Francés in 2017, the portugués in 2018 as well as rewalking from León to Santiago, and the Muxia -finisterre loop.
I’ll be back 2020 to complete the Francés again. This time I’m taking the Camino invierno route through to Santiago. Can’t wait😊🎒💪🏻🍷

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

And now...

Yes. This is perfectly normal.
I finished my fifth two months ago, saying confidently “well, I’m done with that for a while”. Yesterday I found myself planning dates for 2020.
Welcome to your new life...

And now...

Time, my friend. You need time on The Camino. The Camino needs time with you to do its work on you. But I am sure you'll give it the time needed next time. Because now you know and understand. Welcome.

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave".

ok so my perspective is somewhat different...but maybe not....

Im currently in Australia planning my first ever camino in September 2019 with hubby and two teens, having heard about it all my life (Im Spanish born).....

...is it weird that I havent even started my first one and am planning my next one simultaneously???? :p

...Norte, or Portuges?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have walked three Caminos and I usually arrive home thinking “no more, that’s it” but it’s not long and plans are being made to go again and before leaving I say to my husband “this is going to be my last”. I’m starting to walk again 7th April, will it be my last!

I have walked three Caminos and I usually arrive home thinking “no more, that’s it” but it’s not long and plans are being made to go again and before leaving I say to my husband “this is going to be my last”. I’m starting to walk again 7th April, will it be my last!
You're kidding me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Im currently in Australia planning my first ever camino in September 2019 with hubby and two teens, having heard about it all my life (Im Spanish born).....

...is it weird that I havent even started my first one and am planning my next one simultaneously???? :p

...Norte, or Portuges?
Focus on your first. You will be much more naturally prepared for the next one that way.

Ooh, another addict coming up, without even been there. You really have something coming your way, just wait and see.

I hear you....!

I did the CF in June 2017. I was reasonably fit, living as I do in the Scottish hills with two large dogs who need long walks. So I went along for some exercise and a nice time.

What I actually got completely, as they say around here, ‘did my head in’. I’m a rationalist hard core scientist who designs aircraft for a living. But, by the time I’d crossed the meseta and walked my millionth step I got it.

18 months later I’m still unclear as to what ‘it’ is. I feel I was rebooted in some totally unscientific and magnificently hippy way on the CF and I started up again with a new improved operating system. What the heck happened to me?

So.... plans are underway to see if lightning will strike twice. Another CF in autumn 2019. Yeah!

And now...

I walked the Camino Frances in September and I know exactly how you feel because I feel exactly the same way

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Matt: I can relate. I will have to wait until 2021. It doesn’t stop me from looking forward, planning and talking it up with friends and family. I’d like to know how you buy up vacation time!

Hello. My name is Judy and I am a Camino Addict. I walked in spring 2017, said Never Again-it was too hard to walk all the way from SJDPDP to Finesterrre. Last year began training for spring of this year. All the way again! It makes me so happy just thinking about it. The Meseta was my favorite as well. I just turned seventy and hope to go many more times. Carried my pack the whole way. It’s a lot like natural childbirth, you forget the pain because afterwards you think if you can do that then you can do anything!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

...Norte, or Portuges?
I loved the Portugues.

Hello. My name is Judy and I am a Camino Addict. I walked in spring 2017, said Never Again-it was too hard to walk all the way from SJDPDP to Finesterrre. Last year began training for spring of this year. All the way again! It makes me so happy just thinking about it. The Meseta was my favorite as well. I just turned seventy and hope to go many more times. Carried my pack the whole way. It’s a lot like natural childbirth, you forget the pain because afterwards you think if you can do that then you can do anything!!!
Way to go! Keep on walking, dear!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

And now...

Hi Matt - really admire your determination. I walked it in September 2018 and made the mistake of saying I did it in 31 days on the forum. It was then followed by lots of people saying take your time and bla bla bla ........ Truth is you do the preparation your way and walk the journey your way. Walk quick, walk slow but above all walk your way :) Follow the stars and I wish you well with preparations and most of all luck. Enjoy the journey, I did and am back to do the Santiago/Finistere bit in May.

I can relate to all of the comments. My first CF in 2013 with my wife changed me but she wasn’t convinced. She did it again with me in 2017 from SJPdP . She did well and I’ve harassed her into walking theCP from Porto this April. But she told me I’ll have to find a new Camino Partner for the future. At 75 I find it difficult to leave her for any length of time as we have developed a strong bond. so I will pray that God either changes her heart or finds me a new Camino partner. I am not a loner so once on the camino I love to interact.
Speaking Spanish has given me the ability to go so much deeper into the local culture in Spain. I pray I’ll be able to get as much out of Portugal as Spain.

And now...

I understand completely. Just finished my first camino in October. All ready, I want to go back, There is magic on the camino, and we are all the better for walking it. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked my first Camino in May 2017 and once finished I said never again well. I am heading to England in September to catch up friends I met on the Camino, but will be making a slight detour to walk part of the Camino. When I have to travel from Australia I have to make the most of my time and I am also missing the Camino, it feels like home especially the meseta

It is so amazing. Everything said on this post is exactly what happens. I did SJPDP to Santiago in June and July of 2016. I've returned every summer since and walked the Frances the last 3 years. I'm 4 1/2 months away from my next pilgrimage. As a high school teacher I discovered it's the perfect job that will accommodate this addiction. The caminó continues to call. Enjoy

And now...

Good on ye Matt! I told you it's addictive!
All the best from "that old man" from Melbourne Australia!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

And now...

Hahaha! Welcome to the "I want to go back" club! So do I and I will!

And now...

Hi Matt they call it the Camino bug, I caught it two years ago after my first Camino.
I haven’t stopped thinking about my next.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

And now...

I totally understand-I have returned t US from Rome(francigena) in Dec
And am sooooo anxious to get back on the
trail- it is quite contagious.
Hope your next walk is divine.
Gretel

Until 2016. I never heard for Camino de Santiago. Accidentally while I was surfing on the internet I found some topics about a pilgrimage and I was wondering about 800 km pilgrimage way and I couldn't understand that exists some people who are able and willing to walk so faraway. After a few months later I felt strong Camino calling and I shared it with my wife. In June 2017. we have walked CF from SJPDP, in June 2018. PC from Lisbon and in June this year we are going to walk on Camino Norte from Irun. So don't worry, we are all hooked 😀

Most here will know from past posts, I have tried twice to do the CF. Leg pain and numbness have stopped me twice. I have made it to and passed Puente la Reina on foot, but had to resort to a bus and trains to get to Logrono, A Coruna and finally SdC, when it was obvious, taking another step was not wise.

I took two years to save, lose weight from me and my pack, between 2016's first attempt and 2018's second try, walked more than the CF, all the way to Muxia and Finisterre, at home, in preparation, took the Valcarlos route to ensure making it over the mountains in good shape, and then it hit me again.

Cause, possibly not enough weight loss which may have resulted in permanent nerve damage which manifests as leg numbness and palpated pain which worsens when over stressed.

Will I return?

Yes.

I pray the damage isa not permanent but more weight is being lost right now before whether permanent damage has been done. I continue to walk daily, improve exercise regimen, eat better and meditate.

And yes, weekly review of popular topics here also helps maintain a link to the experience and sanity.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Most here will know from past posts, I have tried twice to do the CF. Leg pain and numbness have stopped me twice. I have made it to and passed Puente la Reina on foot, but had to resort to a bus and trains to get to Logrono, A Coruna and finally SdC, when it was obvious, taking another step was not wise.

I took two years to save, lose weight from me and my pack, between 2016's first attempt and 2018's second try, walked more than the CF, all the way to Muxia and Finisterre, at home, in preparation, took the Valcarlos route to ensure making it over the mountains in good shape, and then it hit me again.

Cause, possibly not enough weight loss which may have resulted in permanent nerve damage which manifests as leg numbness and palpated pain which worsens when over stressed.

Will I return?

Yes.

I pray the damage isa not permanent but more weight is being lost right now before whether permanent damage has been done. I continue to walk daily, improve exercise regimen, eat better and meditate.

And yes, weekly review of popular topics here also helps maintain a link to the experience and sanity.
I so look forward to reading your accounts of the Camino you wish to walk.

Hi Matt;
I hope you go back! I’m going back! Camino is addicting and so are all the long distance trails. We did Camino in 2014 in August-October, it was the best hike of my life, even after blowing up a toe coming down to Zubiri from Roscenvalles, having a right knee without meniscus bone on bone didn’t help either! But you know I heard from other Peregrinos that Camino is your Camino! Not anyone else’s, that even though you follow a book for Guide is not a religion or rule that most be followed. I had walked 200 miles on the Appalachian Trail on that May before Camino and still, I had my issues! They will come, and whether you send your pack with a carrier to the next albergue, take a taxi to hop one village or take a train when is pouring rain through the worse climb of Camino, no one can tell you that “Is not Camino!” How ever you do Camino, when ever you come back to do Camino, is YOUR CAMINO! Your pilgrimage, your history! I have plan to go back on 2023 on my 65th birthday, with a new Titanium knee, lighter gear and my new improved route! So go Matt, go! Buen Camino! Ultreia!

I love all the feedback. I put together a video series that I edited on the trail using an app and uploaded afterwards. I'll share the playlist here if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO74BGLtiXNXJ7eFfb_NpWYaF7HNyEO_h

It's funny. I start in Sarria and go from joy to misery to exhaustion to despair, but in the end after the Pilgrims Mass, I'm close to tears and saying I'm going to go again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Today it is a cold, gray, raining off and on, day in sunny Southern California.

The topography of SoCal reminds of CF. Today’s weather brings to mind winter camino 2014.

I said I’d never walk another winter way.

But, if I could I’d be in SJPP tomorrow.

Think I’ll watch The Way and I’ll Push You.

Miss camino so much, I may even reread Shirley’s book Camino and Coelho’s Pilgrimage.

Buen camino to all on foot now.

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Storyteller matt,
I’m currently watching your video and enjoying them. Thank you.
I person have watched The Way almost 100 times as it keeps me connected to the Camino while I’m at home waiting to return.

I love all the feedback. I put together a video series that I edited on the trail using an app and uploaded afterwards. I'll share the playlist here if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO74BGLtiXNXJ7eFfb_NpWYaF7HNyEO_h

It's funny. I start in Sarria and go from joy to misery to exhaustion to despair, but in the end after the Pilgrims Mass, I'm close to tears and saying I'm going to go again.
So many Camino stories go that way. It’s impossible to explain to someone who hasn’t walked.

Sometimes I think for all the great accomplishments of modern convenience and technology we've trapped ourselves and do not realize it. The camino is a small glimpse into freedom for some.

This...perfectly said. Thankyou.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Matt welcome to the club despite what some of the other post Ihave made may suggest there is nothing I love more than to see that far away glint in another pilgrims eye, that means, to Quote General McArthur, “I’ll be back” and it is true to say it is a drug which is all consuming and I for one get abrasive if I have not got some sort of camino fix every year. Last year it was St Jean to Logrono, this year Astorga to Santiago a very good two week stroll Go for it Matt you will not regret it and I have only ever had bottled water never had a parasite nor bed bug.
I thought Arnold Schwarzenegger said that! But then, I'm from the United States!😁

I thought Arnold Schwarzenegger said that! But then, I'm from the United States!😁
So was general McArthur and if my memory serves me correctly he said as he stepped on to the boat ahead of the Japanese invasion of the Philippines.And he did

So was general McArthur and if my memory serves me correctly he said as he stepped on to the boat ahead of the Japanese invasion of the Philippines.And he did
Oops, sorry, rector, I am not up to speed on my own country's history! Thanks for setting me straight!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Same. Just finished a short camino (Ingles from Ferrol) and the day after arriving in Santiago, I wanted to go to Finisterre. The northern route is in my future.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back