• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I was one of the noisy bag rustlers in the am

Abigail Kelly

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago/Fis/Muxia 2017
A Coruna/Santiago 2017
Portuguese Coastal/Variante Espiritual 2019
I hate saying this about myself but I was one of the bag rustlers in the early mornings staying in z Alburgues:-(

Even though I had carefully organised my stuff the night before I was still not content in the wee hours of the morning in case I left something behind. Sorrrryyyy any body else ??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All of us sometimes contribute, of course - for example, you need another layer or a tissue at night and didn't have it in your sleeping bag. And it takes each person some time to learn the routine that will usually work.

Why don't you carry your backpack into the bathroom or common area to do the re-arranging? At night put everything including backpack in a large dry bag that can be lifted and carried out of the sleeping room. Then your sleeping bag (and anything stored within) can easily be picked up and moved.

This is all academic anyway, since I don't leave in the wee hours.

If we are doing confessions, though :(, I once lost a large plastic bag during the day of walking. It might still be blowing about littering the landscape. That day I made a point of picking up some extra litter to compensate!

All of us sometimes contribute, of course - for example, you need another layer or a tissue at night and didn't have it in your sleeping bag. And it takes each person some time to learn the routine that will usually work.

Why don't you carry your backpack into the bathroom or common area to do the re-arranging? At night put everything including backpack in a large dry bag that can be lifted and carried out of the sleeping room. Then your sleeping bag (and anything stored within) can easily be picked up and moved.

This is all academic anyway, since I don't leave in the wee hours.

If we are doing confessions, though :(, I once lost a large plastic bag during the day of walking. It might still be blowing about littering the landscape. That day I made a point of picking up some extra litter to compensate!
Yes confession lol... I did try the re arranging thing in the bathroom but it didn't work..Still paranoid next morning in case I left anything behind. Then I realized I haven't done this in years and age is against me lol Regarding the plastic bag issue I would be the same as you. I am still surprised with Spain and the freedom of plastic bags in the market

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes confession lol... I did try the re arranging thing in the bathroom but it didn't work..Still paranoid next morning in case I left anything behind. Then I realized I haven't done this in years and age is against me lol Regarding the plastic bag issue I would be the same as you. I am still surprised with Spain and the freedom of plastic bags in the market

I left a bright purple sock in the washing machine in an albergue in Reliegos. It's the albergue with pink sheets! :oops:

I hate saying this about myself but I was one of the bag rustlers in the early mornings staying in z Alburgues:-(

Even though I had carefully organised my stuff the night before I was still not content in the wee hours of the morning in case I left something behind. Sorrrryyyy any body else ??

My heart finds it within itself to forgive you Abigail. My head says, get more organised.:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am very glad I walked in the early Spring where people pretty much left at the same time after the lights went on, or the sun rose. -- I do NOT take plastic bags for stashing stuff. I have dry bags I can use if I have damp stuff, or need to protect dry stuff from getting wet. Oh, I do have a plastic bag for my toothbrush and toothpaste (which if I forget-I'll buy another), and also food for the day or next day. Again, I don't go through it before I leave in the morning. -- Why don't you just pack everything but your sleeping bag the night before? Damp clothes you may have left to dry can be gathered quietly and repacked outside.

Last edited:

Confession is good for the soul.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was still not content in the wee hours of the morning in case I left something behind.
Well...
There's an adage, 'Don't pack your fears,' and there should be a Camino addendum to that - 'Don't re-pack your fears!':D
Pack carefully and mindfully the night before, then trust yourself, Abigail.
(And...as someone said above...use something other than plastic bags to organize yourself. Then you won't rustle even if you can't resist going through your stuff that one more time.)

Nope.
I have never ever started walking before 8am on all my Caminos, even on the hottest one (Levante). That makes me the last one to leave the albergue. Or even being thrown out ;)

But I admit that sometimes I snore quite loudly :oops:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well...
There's an adage, 'Don't pack your fears,' and there should be a Camino addendum to that - 'Don't re-pack your fears!':D
Pack carefully and mindfully the night before, then trust yourself, Abigail.
(And...as someone said above...use something other than plastic bags to organize yourself. Then you won't rustle even if you can't resist going through your stuff that one more time.)

Absolutely right! Use cloth bags, ditty bags and ziplock bags and leave those nasty, rustly plastic disposables out of the equation.;)

This is about my fourth draft to this thread. My tongue is bleeding because I am biting it. I will try to say this as gently as I can.

There is literally no excuse for making selfish noises when others are trying to sleep. I sleep exclusively in private rooms along the Camino because I do not want to expose others to my snoring. I would absolutely die if I kept someone from a restful sleep.

The same thing goes on airplanes. I never pull on the seat ahead of me to get to my feet. The person in that seat deserves to left alone. I never recline my seat in economy because the person behind me deserves to left alone.

At home, I do not my play music loud because my neighbors deserve to left alone.

It's truly not hard to think of others before acting.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One small question - WHY do you leave so early?? OK I have not walked the Camino in July , but have never found it necessary to leave before 6.00 am!!

We all contribute to the noises in the night in one way or another. ;)
I met a wise member of this forum along the way and she taught me to put anything not already packed onto my sleeping bag, bundle it up and carry the whole lot outside the dormitory to be packed. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Okay. I can not judge you too harshly, as we all have offended someone.

In fact, one time I was helping a young pilgrim with her blisters, using my moleskin and some antiseptic to treat and then pad the area around the blister, so her heel wouldn't continue getting rubbed raw.

Another pilgrim looked at me over morning coffee (some time later), and said quietly, "it is NOT your responsibility to treat other people's health issues or share your stuff!".

Not kidding....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did try the re arranging thing in the bathroom but it didn't work.
How not? Usually there is another common area as well, anyway.

Even if you are paranoid about having left something, it would only take one tiptoe trip back into the dorm to look at your bed. It helps to have things well organized

In fact, one time I was helping a young pilgrim with her blisters, using my moleskin and some antiseptic to treat and then pad the area around the blister, so her heel wouldn't continue getting rubbed raw.

Another pilgrim looked at me over morning coffee (some time later), and said quietly, "it is NOT your responsibility to treat other people's health issues or share your stuff!".

Not kidding....

Had a similar experience. One very hot afternoon past Astorga, I was walking with someone I had met at coffee in the morning. We came up behind a young woman, who, as we passed, stumbled and sat on the ground. We stopped and she said she was feeling dizzy. She hadn't planned well enough for water and didn't have any left. I pulled out my water bottle to give her some and the person I was walking with kept walking ahead. Later, I saw him at the albergue in Rabanal and he proceeded to give me a lecture about how I should never share my water with anyone and it wasn't my responsibility to compensate for another's lack of planning. I couldn't speak I was so astonished.

Had a similar experience. One very hot afternoon past Astorga, I was walking with someone I had met at coffee in the morning. We came up behind a young woman, who, as we passed, stumbled and sat on the ground. We stopped and she said she was feeling dizzy. She hadn't planned well enough for water and didn't have any left. I pulled out my water bottle to give her some and the person I was walking with kept walking ahead. Later, I saw him at the albergue in Rabanal and he proceeded to give me a lecture about how I should never share my water with anyone and it wasn't my responsibility to compensate for another's lack of planning. I couldn't speak I was so astonished.
Can't understand that at all. And it was on Frances which is really a highway of pilgrims and with bars or fuentes around every second corner. What would this person do on Southern Caminos in the summer? Or even if his country would be attacked and in war???
Just don't get it...

So glad that you are a leader, and not a follower. I would stop for anyone. It's the right thing to do, and I was once overwhelmed with someone's kindness in sharing water with me---on that part of the Camino Frances with the wide, red soil? Help?

So glad that you are a leader, and not a follower. I would stop for anyone. It's the right thing to do, and I was once overwhelmed with someone's kindness in sharing water with me---on that part of the Camino Frances with the wide, red soil? Help?

Before Los Arcos maybe? Yes - I was astonished that any pilgrim would not aid another in distress.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You sleep in a sleeping bag that's the only thing you should pack as it's common to wear the inner wear to bed put your clothes on top of your pack put them on and carry your pack out of your room put your sleeping bag in the pack shoes and socks on and away you go, why do people insist on having all their gear unpacked the night before, it's all about organisation.10-6 is quiet time so after that fair enough

Thank you! Yes, no place on the Camino...or the planet for disposable plastics. It's tough. Wish my country would ban their use.

Yeah, it'll be quite something to learn to live without them. They are very useful. (I refer to the bags, but the whales are irreplacable).

Not kidding....

Ooooh just imagine walking past that idiot a few miles down the road laying in the ditch with a twisted ankle,would you turn up yer nose and whistle a tune lol.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Not kidding....
Not a very generous sentiment. We all need a helping hand at times....

it's all about organisation.10-6 is quiet time so after that fair enough

That's a good point. Most albergues do have rules. In my experience, people ARE pretty good at sticking to the 10pm cut-off but perhaps that's because they're less good at sticking to the 6am one. o_O

Being honest... the rustling, the clanging, the taking 15 minutes to get a sleeping bag back into its holder, the endless clipping and unclipping of rucksacks, having a headlight image burned onto my retina... I can live with those. They are part and parcel of communal sleeping and most people do their best to be quiet and to keep their headlights under control. Almost criminal though (and it's been mentioned previously on this thread) is use of the snooze facility on alarms. If you want to get up at 6am, set your alarm for 6am do not set it for 5am then proceed to put it onto snooze 4 times. How can anyone think that is reasonable behaviour? Second to that is being in the bathroom when your alarm goes off...

(I'm acutely aware that we're all talking about 'first-world' problems here and that we are all ultra privileged to have the resources, time, and freedom to walk the Camino. That said, the day that we all stop living in our own little worlds will be the day that... actually that day will never arrive... I won't beat myself up over it.) :oops:

I am very glad I walked in the early Spring where people pretty much left at the same time after the lights went on, or the sun rose.
In Burgos, one might ask "when the lights went off." Dozens of pilgrims hustling to get out by the posted deadline of eight A.M. At 07:55. the hospitalero turned off the lights! I think I said out loud, "Do you think we'll find our shoes faster in the dark?" :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Absolutely right! Use cloth bags, ditty bags and ziplock bags and leave those nasty, rustly plastic disposables out of the equation.;)

Ziplock bags, although they don't rustle, are also "nasty ... plastic disposables", and the dry bags favoured by pilgrims are normally made of nonbiodegradable polyester. Cloth bags, unfortunately, tend not to be waterproof. Treading lightly before dawn so as not to annoy fellow travellers, however laudable, is not necessarily treading lightly on the earth. We are all offenders.

Not kidding....

Egad. Words "almost" fail me. A proper response could have been: In what world do you live where you consider it to be your business to lecture me if I choose to render assistance to a fellow traveler?" (Either that or I vote for a good smack, too)

However, with people like that, you can't help but gawk in shock and wonder. Once upon a time long ago and far away in my pre cancer days, when my health still allowed I donated plasma at the local Red Cross, every two weeks. A woman of my acquaintance asked me how much I got paid for it. I was shocked at the very question and said that I didn't get paid for it. Then she countered with "then why do you do it?" and my response of "because its a good thing to do" clearly went over her head.

They just don't get it and likely never will.

This is about my fourth draft to this thread. My tongue is bleeding because I am biting it. I will try to say this as gently as I can.

There is literally no excuse for making selfish noises when others are trying to sleep. I sleep exclusively in private rooms along the Camino because I do not want to expose others to my snoring. I would absolutely die if I kept someone from a restful sleep.

And I will reply as gently as I can. How can you be certain that you have not inadvertently kept someone awake? It's very rare that a pilgrim intentionally disturbs others, but it's quite common that s/he is unaware of the heaviness of their footfalls. I appreciate the OP's apology: He that is without [dormitory] sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't help but think that somehow, somewhere, there is going to be a "life lesson" here.

One small question - WHY do you leave so early?? OK I have not walked the Camino in July , but have never found it necessary to leave before 6.00 am!!
As often as I have guessed wrong at an intersection with no yellow arrow, I cannot imagine leaving before sunrise!

I too was once "bailed out" by a fellow pilgrim when I ran out of water on St. Olav's Way. Since that experience I've always carried an unopened bottle in my pack. It is for emergencies: mine or someone else's. I even carry an extra bottle when hiking local trails now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I too was once "bailed out" by a fellow pilgrim when I ran out of water on St. Olav's Way. Since that experience I've always carried an unopened bottle in my pack. It is for emergencies: mine or someone else's. I even carry an extra bottle when hiking local trails now.

Great idea! I will follow your lead on that on my next Camino!

Now for my confession - My travelling companions and I decided to walk very early, it was incredibly hot on the Meseta, so we were trying to beat the heat.
Three of us were staying at San Bol. We made sure that we grouped ourselves together in the sleeping room, near the door so that we could make a silent exit in the morning (4 am departure). All of our gear was prepped, and we would repack footwear and sleeping gear on the patio.
As planned I was up at 4, (alarm playing through my headphones, so silent to the others). I proceeded to wake one of my fellow peregrinos who slipped out as planned. I went to where my second partner was SUPPOSED to be sleeping only to find that I had woken up a German pilgrim who did NOT appreciate it.

Unknown to me, my friend had decided to walk all night and had left leaving an open lower bunk for the other peregrino to get into...

At that time of the mornoing it is hard to apologize to someone who is yelling at you....

Very embarassing.

And I will reply as gently as I can. How can you be certain that you have not inadvertently kept someone awake? It's very rare that a pilgrim intentionally disturbs others, but it's quite common that s/he is unaware of the heaviness of their footfalls. I appreciate the OP's apology: He that is without [dormitory] sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

A few things.

First, the original poster admitted that she knew that her early morning bag rustling was disturbing to others. Yet, she repeated the act. This is the quintessential definition of making selfish noise as I discussed. Its not accidental or inadvertent noise as you discussed. Big, big difference.

Second, as I stated, I sleep in private rooms along the Camino to intentionally alleviate other pilgrims from listening to my snoring. Would I like to sleep in communal rooms along the way to save money? Sure. You bet. Absolutely. But that would be selfish.

Third, its not hard to treat others like you would like to be treated. For example, when you are in a hotel, don't shout down the hallway for someone in your party to hold the elevator. Why? Someone could be sleeping. Even in the middle of day. The selfish thing to do would be to scream, "Hold the elevator!" The polite thing to do would be to be quiet and simply grab the next one.

First, the original poster admitted that she knew that her early morning bag rustling was disturbing to others. Yet, she repeated the act. This is the quintessential definition of making selfish noise as I discussed. Its not accidental or inadvertent noise as you discussed. Big, big difference.
She did not say she repeated it. She said she was nervous that she might have left something. Before I congratulate the unselfish acts you've told us about, let me ask: If you thought you had forgotten something, and didn't know how to check quietly would you hit the road and try to forget about it?

Never attribute to malice that which might be just stupidity, and never attribute to stupidity that which might just be "not knowing." In other words, "benefit of the doubt."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
She did not say she repeated it.

Actually, her words were, "I hate saying this about myself but I was one of the bag rustlers in the early mornings staying in z Alburgues." Maybe it's a grammatical error, but nothing in this sentence indicates it was a one time incident. In fact, the use of plurals indicates otherwise. But if I am wrong, I apologize for thinking she did it more than once.

BTW, I would have sent you a private message regarding this issue, but you don't allow private messages, so I had to post here.

Not kidding....

That person makes me sad. We are our "brother's keepers" especially on the Camino. There reason we have stuff is to share. It is in giving that we receive.

Last edited:
As planned I was up at 4.

OOOohhhhhhh! So it was YOUUUUUU then!! ;):D

Sorry. French attempt at humour ;)

I walked through a heat wave this Summer and even then I could not start at 4 am! My body said No!, even my head said Nah!
The earliest we managed was 5.30 I think, reluctantly and only because we had been woken up at an ungodly hour!
How do you do it?
It's DARK out there! :confused:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would stop for anyone. It's the right thing to do
I agree.

I think sometimes people get confused with the opposing discussion about how everyone should be responsible for preparing and equipping themselves as best they can, and not assume "someone else will take care of me so I don't need to carry my share."

All of us occasionally make miscalculations, so we should help each other as much as we reasonably can. However we can't forget to look after ourselves. The two principles are both valid, and yet they can appear to be in conflict, but that is often the way with principles.

Slightly related to these discussions, once I was walking beside my companion and she fell flat for no apparent reason. Several passers-by rushed to assist, and were immediately reaching to pull her to her feet. Meanwhile I was standing right beside her, leaning in to assess the situation. I insisted to the people grabbing her by the arms to "Stop. Wait, give her a moment." I wanted to give her the time to assess her own situation and get up when she was ready, salvaging whatever dignity she could. If she was injured or dizzy, dragging her to a standing position was the last thing she needed or wanted! The other people may have thought I was just not very sympathetic.

Last edited:
I agree.

I think sometimes people get confused with the opposing discussion about how everyone should be responsible for preparing and equipping themselves as best they can, and not assume "someone else will take care of me so I don't need to carry my share."

All of us occasionally make miscalculations, so we should help each other as much as we reasonably can. However we can't forget to look after ourselves. The two principles are both valid and appear to be in conflict, but that is often the way with principles.

Slightly related to these discussions, once I was walking beside my companion and she fell flat for no apparent reason. Several passers-by rushed to assist, and were immediately reaching to pull her to her feet. Meanwhile I standing right beside her, leaning in to assess the situation. I insisted to the people grabbing her by the arms to "Stop. Wait, give her a moment." I wanted to give her the time to assess her own situation and get up when she was ready, salvaging whatever dignity she could. If she was injured or dizzy, dragging her to a standing position was the last thing she needed or wanted! The other people may have thought I was just not very sympathetic.
I would have had - and I did once - have a likewise reaction.

I must say, I have only met very nice, sympathetic people on my Caminos.... Maybe I was lucky...
Or maybe my memory isn't that good any more ! :D;)

I am an early morning riser, too. What is interesting is how most assume that early morning start = bed race or to escape the heat. Its not always that. People who simply wake up that early and love that time of the day do exist! Just like those who prefer to walk in the afternoon, or even at night. It's all fine. Just pack your things the evening before, if possible store your pack outside the sleeping room. In the morning no alarm, no flash lights, sneak out... takes 30 seconds... and everyone is happy.

To give an idea how it feels "from the other side":

In France people tended to start walking quite late. The dinners taking until late night because of half a dozen courses might have played a role... Anyway, many a frenchman (and woman) slept until eight or even longer. Small rooms with few people meant that often a common "get up time" was negotiated... usually a late one. For me that meant that in the morning sometimes I lay in bed awake for hours staring at the walls, itchy feet, wishing to walk and watch the sunrise. Basically, it feels like being forced to walk at someone else's pace – which we probably all agree is possible for a while but not a good idea in the long term.

Also, I think we need a thread about "Your worst Camino sins". A funny one. Or does that already exist? I have some confessions to make!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I walked through a heat wave this Summer and even then I could not start at 4 am! My body said No!, even my head said Nah!
The earliest we managed was 5.30 I think, reluctantly and only because we had been woken up at an ungodly hour!
How do you do it?
Maybe they have (by mistake, of course) some owl's genes mixed with human's ;)

Slightly related to these discussions, once I was walking beside my companion and she fell flat for no apparent reason. Several passers-by rushed to assist, and were immediately reaching to pull her to her feet. Meanwhile I was standing right beside her, leaning in to assess the situation. I insisted to the people grabbing her by the arms to "Stop. Wait, give her a moment." I wanted to give her the time to assess her own situation and get up when she was ready, salvaging whatever dignity she could. If she was injured or dizzy, dragging her to a standing position was the last thing she needed or wanted! The other people may have thought I was just not very sympathetic.
And that was actually very smart reaction. Not only for the reason you are mentioning but first you have to ask the person that fell about the feelings, pain, where the pain is etc., not to cause potential further damage. And only then you assist! Doing what you think is the best in that moment could result in permanent paralysis if spine is affected!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All of this can be done in the common area or bathroom. I do that at home as well...

Ziplock bags, although they don't rustle, are also "nasty ... plastic disposables", and the dry bags favoured by pilgrims are normally made of nonbiodegradable polyester. Cloth bags, unfortunately, tend not to be waterproof. Treading lightly before dawn so as not to annoy fellow travellers, however laudable, is not necessarily treading lightly on the earth. We are all offenders.

Yes, the best thing for good old Gaia would be if we all departed for Mars. The ziplocks are plastic but they're quiet and durable, as are the cloth bags, but yes it's true they're not great if you're forced to carry wet dirty clothes. Now that I think on it, it's been ages since I've heard anyone use the phrase 'carbon footprint'. For now, let's focus on the noise pollution. :)

With all due respect, I think this is maybe a tad naive, Paladina. Some people, I dare say some cultures, are totally unconscious of the very idea of noise, they just get on with living as boldly as possible. If they feel like talking, they talk, the same with laughing, rustling, cursing, clonking, bumping, whistling. Not only do they not dream of the idea that they're disturbing others, they wouldn't care a jot anyway.

One or two remedies aside, snorers snore in the dorms and they can't help it: they're unconscious. Bag-rustlers and scrunchers, people who go bump after hours, they can, out of courtesy, make a real effort to minimize their noise. It's just that many don't even try.

One last thing, I'm not convinced the OP feels remorse, it's more a case of post-camino gloating, a sort of Russell Brand-style confession. I did this 'orrible thing and it's important to me that you all know.

Better next time. ;)

With all due respect, I think this is maybe a tad naive, Paladina. Some people, I dare say some cultures, are totally unconscious of the very idea of noise, they just get on with living as boldly as possible. If they feel like talking, they talk, the same with laughing, rustling, cursing, clonking, bumping, whistling. Not only do they not dream of the idea that they're disturbing others, they wouldn't care a jot anyway.

One or two remedies aside, snorers snore in the dorms and they can't help it: they're unconscious. Bag-rustlers and scrunchers, people who go bump after hours, they can, out of courtesy, make a real effort to minimize their noise. It's just that many don't even try.

One last thing, I'm not convinced the OP feels remorse, it's more a case of post-camino gloating, a sort of Russell Brand-style confession. I did this 'orrible thing and it's important to me that you all know.

Better next time. ;)

Naivety is not one of the seven deadly pilgrim sins, and neither is charity!

Last edited:
Guilty of accidentally letting the bathroom door slam. . . sorry.

After our first camino, my wife brought along a couple of sheets of door bumpers on our next two caminos. They're small, round felt pads with adhesive on one side. She'd put them on the door frames to the bunk-room and/or bathroom. It stopped the noise of the door slamming and we like to think that we helped many others that came behind us.

On the topic of confessing sins, we forgot to turn our phone off one night. It was during an election season in the US and we woke up to find that there was at least five political calls that came in in the night. We didn't hear it ring with our ear plugs. We were not popular that morning. Sorry all!!!

€60,-

How do you do it?
it was nearly a full moon. perfect for night walking...

Well, obviously neither of us knows whether or not there's remorse. But I think it highly unlikely that OP was bragging.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well, obviously neither of us knows whether or not there's remorse. But I think it highly unlikely that OP was bragging.
True, we can't know. By the way, I said 'gloating', indicating 'malicious satisfaction' - let's say 'mischievous', :p - I didn't say 'bragging'. It might be an age thing, but that elongated spelling of 'sorry' in the OP and the splurge of 'LOL's in the replies don't say 'I'm sincere' to me. Let's face it, the only thing better than getting away with something is letting everyone know that you did when you're out of reach.

Admirable, very admirable.

Actually, her words were, "I hate saying this about myself but I was one of the bag rustlers in the early mornings staying in z Alburgues." Maybe it's a grammatical error, but nothing in this sentence indicates it was a one time incident. In fact, the use of plurals indicates otherwise. But if I am wrong, I apologize for thinking she did it more than once.

BTW, I would have sent you a private message regarding this issue, but you don't allow private messages, so I had to post here.
Robert it happened twice. Like

Robert, it happened twice... and I said sorry. God forbid if I committed a wicked crime the way I have been judged by you. Sorry but I think you are a bit out of order on your comments. End of!

€83,-

Better next time. ;)
I actually did feel remorse that is why I posted. I don't do gloating never had and never will :)

I actually did feel remorse that is why I posted. I don't do gloating never had and never will :)

Yes, but in the aftermath of, "Sorrrryyyy any body else ??", I can't say I'm convinced. I think you wanted reassurance from the sunshine-and-lollipops branch of the forum.

But now's the time to let it settle. If that was your first camino a second one will be still more rewarding. Take care on the road. Buen camino, Abigail.

Satírico

Yes, but in the aftermath of, "Sorrrryyyy any body else ??", I can't say I'm convinced. I think you wanted reassurance from the sunshine-and-lollipops branch of the forum.

But now's the time to let it settle. If that was your first camino a second one will be still more rewarding. Take care on the road. Buen camino, Abigail.

Satírico
Pretty rude not to give a fellow forum member the benefit of the doubt.

€60,-

This is part of the Camino! If somebody disturbs your sleep in the very early morning as you did , or because a person in the room snores, it may be irritating at the time, but we all survive. Better still, it all ends up as a good story! PS. The Camino is addictive, so Buen next Camino, then it will be somebody else who disturbs.

Even though I had carefully organised my stuff the night before I was still not content in the wee hours of the morning in case I left something behind.
I understand. My mother used to say, "Good thing your head is bolted on or you'd lose that!" I have to go back to check several times out of fear of losing something, and no matter how quiet one tries to be, "it's always something." Someone moves a chair into the pathway and piles noisy things on it for me to knock over in the dark. Or my fingers somehow fail to hold on to something. And all the checking sometimes fails. I know I left my battery charger plugged in next to the soda machine, and I know my little bag of toiletries and medicines was next to my pack when I was getting ready to leave. But neither are with me now, and the lady who says she cleaned that day also says she found nothing of the sort. But all are replaceable. My meds supposedly require a prescription, but the pharmacist sold me some anyway.

One night I very carefully prepared my clothes because I knew I would leave first. In the morning, in the dark, I gently lifted up my shorts and all the coins fell out of my pocket rolling across the floor. It was SO loud and I was so very sorry to wake everyone up. Best laid plans...!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am also guilty of spilling coins on the floor. I'm sure I scuttled out a few euro lighter than I entered...

One night I very carefully prepared my clothes because I knew I would leave first. In the morning, in the dark, I gently lifted up my shorts and all the coins fell out of my pocket rolling across the floor. It was SO loud and I was so very sorry to wake everyone up. Best laid plans...!
That's just so very cute.

Thank you for a smile you brought to my face!

I leave early. I like walking when the light is turning. I like walking before the masses come out. I like the quiet and solitude of the early morning. It has nothing to do with racing. I like the early morning. I pack before going to bed, dress, and slip out quietly. No plastic bags or repacking.

The same thing goes on airplanes. I never pull on the seat ahead of me to get to my feet. The person in that seat deserves to left alone. I never recline my seat in economy because the person behind me deserves to left alone.

At home, I do not my play music loud because my neighbors deserve to left alone.

It's truly not hard to think of others before acting.
Wow Robert! You're my kind of person! Thanks for your consideration of others!

I leave early. I like walking when the light is turning. I like walking before the masses come out. I like the quiet and solitude of the early morning. It has nothing to do with racing. I like the early morning. I pack before going to bed, dress, and slip out quietly. No plastic bags or repacking.
Yes! Me too. Walking into that morning light and quiet is the best part of the day for me. Preparing the night before and leaving quietly is a prelude to that.

Yes! Me too. Walking into that morning light and quiet is the best part of the day for me. Preparing the night before and leaving quietly is a prelude to that.

"Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it."
Marcus Aurelius,
The Emperor's Handbook, II,IV

I am an early morning riser, too. What is interesting is how most assume that early morning start = bed race or to escape the heat. Its not always that. People who simply wake up that early and love that time of the day do exist!
I am one of those early risers, too, and have been my entire life. I work from home now and still get up before dawn for absolutely no reason than it's right for me.
I promise to take all of the advice in the replies for this thread when I walk my own camino in 2019. Thanks to you all!

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back