• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

I went for a walk in the "New" Cathedral today

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Wow. The lighting and the bright white paint really make those Romanesque arches stand out beautifully. And oh how the gold on the altar glitters. One of the things I heard in a video describing the cathedral renovation was how the errors of prior restoration works had been undone and that going forward maintenance and preservation will be much easier to accomplish. It is really beautiful, Ivar.

It looks like visits to the Pórtico de la Gloria, museum, Palacio del Gemirez, rooftops, etc. are still suspended. Hopefully it won’t be too long. Thanks so much for taking this video for us.

Marbe2

Year of past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
What celebrations of the Holy Year(s) there will be in this beautifully renovated Church. May the hearts of so many pilgrims longing to worship in this Cathedral be renewed in our own time of cleansing.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Thank you so much, @ivar . Just out of curiosity: Did youu need a permission in order to film inside?

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Frances (2011), Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2017), Camino Muxia (2017), LePuy(2019)
Thank you, Ivar. You brightened my Sunday morning. The cathedral seems so bright. Is the statue of St. James Metamoris still on view?

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

Shades of Narnia

Sandi, Shades of Narnia
Camino Francis, 2014
Camino Portuguese 2015
Camino Francis, 2016 & Hospitalera in Viana Spain
(etc)
Thank you Ivar. Is the Cathedral now open for 'pray-ers'? I only noted people walking around.

Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

dawnie

Camino Frances (2013), Via de la Platter (2013 - unfinished business here), Portuguese Coastal (2015), Portuguese Inland (2015)
thankyou for sharing, it looks so beautiful. I so hope to get back to Spain and the Camino one day in the not too distant future.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

FourSeasons

CF Sept/Oct 2013
CF April/May 2016
del Norte (July/August 2019)
Wow!! It’s so brilliant and bright. I’m so emotional right now. I feel the Camino pulling me. I’ve walked three times. 2013, 2016 and 2019. I’ve always seen some sort of scaffolding or coverings on the Cathedral. After a difficult 2019 Camino, I said I am finished. But lately, lately I hear the call and after seeing this, I feel it again. I am scared, I am emotional, I am blessed. Please pray for me that I make it one more time. I have my sights on 2022. Thank you Ivar for sharing. God Bless you.

Last edited:
Camino de Santiago pendant that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.
Camino Masks

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
Ivar,

Thanks for video.

Also, again thanks for link to view Opening Holy Door.

Leon - Santiago (2015); Ingles (2016); Baiona - Santiago (2018); Pamplona - Burgos (2021? 2022?)
Thank you, Ivar! I can't wait to see it in person once again.

BedDavid

Frances, Portugues, Primativo, Baztán
Dear Ivan,
Many thanks for your video. The cathedral looks beautiful.
Spain has a wonderful heritage of music, especially from the renaissance and baroque eras. May I suggest the following as more appropriate music to accompany the video (to take just three of the many possibilities -
- David

Camino Masks

Lindacs

Frances
Thank you Ivar. I walked in 2019 and so only saw it with scaffolding and plastic. Wistfully determined to do it again one day when it is safe. So want to see the botafumeiro swinging and still cannot believe that I got to walk the Camino just before the pandemic. i am grateful every day for that.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco(2017) Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(2019) CF
Thanks for the video, Ivar. What has happened to the old pews? I copied the design for my shell tattoo from them. :rolleyes:
View media item 5650
I agree! I was surprised and a bit disappointed that those beautiful old pews with the shell were not restored. I'd buy one for my home if I knew one was available :)

Camino Masks
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store