• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I will have about 20 days to walk - where should I start?

Hello Peregrinos,
I will have only about 20 days to do the walk, which sounds like too little to start in St Jean. I was thinking about walking Camino Frances or any of the Northern Routes. Can you advise me where to start?
Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Have you idea how far you walk each day with a rucksack on your back?
Will you be coming in by plane or train or bus? What city?
This will determine the advice you will be given.

Fromista to Santiago is about 425 km, and you can get to Fromista by train or bus.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Have you idea how far you walk each day with a rucksack on your back?
Will you be coming in by plane or train or bus? What city?
This will determine the advice you will be given.
falcon269 said:
Fromista to Santiago is about 425 km, and you can get to Fromista by train or bus.

Thank you for replying. I can get a flight to Valladolid and when I look at the map, I start thinking that starting in Burgos would be nice. I've heard that the cathedral is great. Just worried that it could be too far. A month or so ago, I walked from Santiago to Finisterre via Muxia. It was only 4 days but it didn't cause me any problems. I recon I could do quite a few 30km days with my rucksack.

What do you think?

My guide says Burgos is 476km from Santiago.

On the basis of your figures it could be done, though if you intend to walk in the next couple of months the heat of the day could be a problem.

In 2004, aged 47, I walked 38km one day in June and over 30 on another and it nearly did me in. You might be younger and fitter, but take the heat into account. After September things become easier.

If you really want to start at Burgos do so. It is as important to choose our starting pointing as where we will end.

If you find yourself running out of time there are towns and cities from which you could get a bus or a train and jump a section.

Remember that Sarria has a bus station and it is 113km from Santiago. If necessary leave enough time to get from there to Santiago on foot so that you qualify for your Compostella.

If you want to do an unbroken walk then falcoln's suggestion is a good one.

Sahagun is 355km and that would offer you a lot less km per day. It has both bus and rail stations.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you! I have to admit that the August heat is a bit of a worry for me but I'm sure that with the right clothing, I should be ok. I will take your advice to remember that if the worst comes to the worst I can always skip a segment.

Burgos feels right to start - even though I haven't been there, this place has an emotional attachment for me... Just a little postcard I've received from a person dear to me who was walking El Camino but it's enough for me.

Do you know where in Burgos I could get a Pilgrim's Passport?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back