• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I will walk the Camino with “NO” money

Status
Not open for further replies.
jimkaszynski said:
I then came to the thought of doing this with no money trying to overcome the fear I have of asking someone for help

Why not just find a good therapist to help you with that neurosis, then go enjoy a normal camino?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
newfydog said:
Why not just find a good therapist to help you with that neurosis, then go enjoy a normal camino?

Dog!! ...Hehe ....you made my day. :mrgreen:

I ernestly assure that I shall never, ever, "look you up" - were I to return to Thailand, have the misfortune of encountering you on the camino or anywhere else for that matter.
Self-obsessed nonsense.
Desist and depart.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
duncan pm said:
I ernestly assure that I shall never, ever, "look you up" - were I to return to Thailand, have the misfortune of encountering you on the camino or anywhere else for that matter.
Self-obsessed nonsense.
Desist and depart.
Nasty comment.

RENSHAW said:
tyrrek said:
Nasty comment.

I agree ;My support goes to Jim ...It is all for charity anyway.
If the OP hadn't also been similarly nasty in his most recent long post, I would have felt more inclined to the view that duncan pm's comment was inappropriate. Aside from its sheer size, Jim engages in some nasty verbal bullying and pejorative name-calling in his response, and addresses the issues others have raised in the most superficial manner.

On the second point, an offer to contribute for charitable purposes would have been much more convincing if it were being done through one of the many independent escrow-style fund-raising agents, such as JustGiving (http://www.justgiving.com).

My own view is that he is saying more and being less convincing to fewer of us. Renshaw and tyrrek, I am somehow glad that there are still some like you who have the generosity of spirit to support Jim. I am afraid I am moving from sitting uncomfortably on the fence to stand on the other side.

Regards

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
dougfitz said:
Renshaw and tyrrek, I am somehow glad that there are still some like you who have the generosity of spirit to support Jim. I am afraid I am moving from sitting uncomfortably on the fence to stand on the other side.
I'm not supporting anyone. Throughout this discussion I've tried not to judge people's motives, just to warn how they may be perceived. What I don't like are posts that are totally negative and just dismiss someone with alternative views when in all likelihood the pilgrims concerned will never even meet! So much anger...sit by a river and watch the fish. :roll:

Buen Camino!

well, yes - my post was negative, judgemental when I re-read it and reflect further on it and may not sit comfortably with others. I am sure that I am not the best natured of people and I know I am cantankerous and prone to grumbling.
If I offend I shall withdraw, take my own advice and depart forthwith.
The wisdom and insight I see on this forum is wonderful - maybe I should enjoy it in silence.
Feel free to tell me so.
I dislike what I said I dislike - by that I stand.
I wish those who viewed my comments as harsh the very best, wish them well and happy times to come.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
duncan pm said:
well, yes - my post was negative, judgemental when I re-read it and reflect further on it and may not sit comfortably with others. I am sure that I am not the best natured of people and I know I am cantankerous and prone to grumbling.
If I offend I shall withdraw, take my own advice and depart forthwith.
The wisdom and insight I see on this forum is wonderful - maybe I should enjoy it in silence.
Feel free to tell me so.
I dislike what I said I dislike - by that I stand.
I wish those who viewed my comments as harsh the very best, wish them well and happy times to come.
Don't go anywhere, peregrino! I get equally wound up on the threads relating to litter. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
having just got back from the Camino I had to wade through what is becoming a long thread.

I don't have anything new to add except that I stand with those who do not support Jim in this project.

Give your air fare to the orphanage; it is the best option. It will raise far more money than any sponsorship would.

On my recent pilgrimage I often didn't collect my change; sometimes it was so small it almost felt like an insult but many of the bars and albergues were glad to have it. NOW is NOT the time to be walking the Camino without money. When things are better, maybe, but not now.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
having just got back from the Camino I had to wade through what is becoming a long thread.

I don't have anything new to add except that I stand with those who do not support Jim in this project.

Give your air fare to the orphanage; it is the best option. It will raise far more money than any sponsorship would.

On my recent pilgrimage I often didn't collect my change; sometimes it was so small it almost felt like an insult but many of the bars and albergues were glad to have it. NOW is NOT the time to be walking the Camino without money. When things are better, maybe, but not now.

Sounds like you had a good walk. I am going ahead with my walk. However, let me explain something. I live in Thailand on a very low budget from S.S., and I give all my money after I cover my living expenses to help others in need. I also give a lot of time helping their cause if it is something I believe in. I do writing, help with websites and even have my own You Tube channel. mrkaszynski I do not have adds on my channel or website’s. Most of my videos (about 60) are about helping others and some just for fun.

I live in a small one-room studio apartment which cost me $100 a month U.S. my food budget is $100 mo. I rent a motorbike which cost me $62 mo. That’s my budget! What money I have left over, I help those in need in Thailand and around the world.

Throughout my life, I have helped many churches, schools and origination’s to raise money for their cause. I will continue to do this for the rest of my life.

I have been asked many times “why don’t you help the people in need in the U.S.” Well; I look at this problem as a world problem. The bottom line is what most people agree to is that they would like world peace. In my mind, the answer is in the children, and the solution is the computer plus love. One of the best educational tools we have. Most countries have access to a computer. However, some block information that could disrupt their government, such as China, and I am working on that. We have volunteers who come from China, who helped out at our orphanage and wants to see their government change, and they are working on that but with extreme difficulties.

Sorry, I got a little carried away with that. Now back to my walk. I will not be asking for money during the walk. I have a group that has been following me for years on my life's adventure from helping people in the U.S., Mexico, Belize and now Thailand. I was even put in jail in Belize for what they called “having improper identification.” Which really was because they said, “We do not want your help?” They looked at me teaching the children how to use the computer as a way to disrupt the government.

I have no resentment against the country of Belize. Because I understand the way, they looked at me to change the children who could be a problem for the government. I was deported, after five days in jail.

Your suggestion to donate my cost of my flight to a good cause was considered. Nevertheless, my group which started with five people three years ago and now is over 1,000 suggested to have people donate one penny a mile “484 miles” $4.84 to go to a valid cause. So the idea was born to give the money to an orphanage in Kenya which my friend has just started. We have five children at the moment and growing quickly. I have already raised thousands of dollars for commitments to help after I finish the walk.

100 % of the money raised will go to help the children of Kenya. Thailand is easy to help the needy because they welcome the rest of the world with knowledge and money. Kenya is a different story. The government is extremely corrupt and most everyone asks, “What is in it for me?” Nevertheless, we have a handful of people who really want to help the orphan’s one person at a time. This is a very difficult challenge. However, it is one I am willing to take on.

There are many non-profits around the world who do good work. However, many skim off the top with little going to the true cause of their venture. I will have a secure website where people can make a donation, with no question the money will go to the right place. I will get no part of the money raised. I am not asking anyone for money from this blog. I have my own group, which is helping with this new challenge.

So for the people who are highly critical of me and criticize me (I won’t come back and criticize you, it’s not in my blood…anymore) for what I am attempting to do, I understand. I may disagree with you, but I do accept you having your point of view, of course they do hurt because I feel I am being miss-understood. They do affect me but no longer control me, one of my greatest life lessons. When I finish the walk, I feel many of you will understand my true motive. As important what I do after the walk, I hope will make more sense to you. Helping others is what my life is all about! Jim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This last post REALLY doesn't help. WE don't understand how your self-aggrandizement is so wonderful. I don't buy buy what your selling. Even if you plan on giving everything you've got at the end of your camino, your experiment is crap. Sorry but you're making me angry. I am willing to be more than generous to people in need but this is exploitation of people's generosity. Have you ever thought that by doing so, people will refrain from paying it forward when they figure out they've been fooled by someone doing an 'experiment"?

there are lots of people on the camino doing all sorts of personal experimenting. Not all of them want to do it with audience support, but some need the attention. This is just another of those.

I think it is time to live and let live, or maybe walk and let walk. The camino is evidently calling to this gentleman. It will show him whatever it wants to show him, and he will take it or leave it. We don´t have to watch his one-man show if we don´t choose to.

So... like a bumblebee, if we ignore him, maybe he will go away.

Reb.

jimkaszynski said:
[Your suggestion to donate my cost of my flight to a good cause was considered. Nevertheless, my group which started with five people three years ago and now is over 1,000 suggested to have people donate one penny a mile “484 miles” $4.84 to go to a valid cause.

OK, I'll give your orphanage a dollar a mile if you stay home and donate your airfare. Then send a letter to your other supporters, and half of them will donate the $4.84 anyway. You get to beg, the orphanage gets the money, the Camino is left to the pilgrims. Deal?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rebekah Scott said:
there are lots of people on the camino doing all sorts of personal experimenting. Not all of them want to do it with audience support, but some need the attention. This is just another of those.

I think it is time to live and let live, or maybe walk and let walk. The camino is evidently calling to this gentleman. It will show him whatever it wants to show him, and he will take it or leave it. We don´t have to watch his one-man show if we don´t choose to.

So... like a bumblebee, if we ignore him, maybe he will go away.

Reb.

Thanks for your generous offer. However, this is a done deal that I will be doing the walk. I have made the commitment to myself to do it. The donation part for the orphanage was an afterthought from some of my friends. Obviously most people in this form disagree with me. Plus there is the possibility, they are right, and I am wrong? However, I must do this walk to discover what life lessons I can learn from this.

If I had the chance to do this over again I would not have posted anything until I completed the walk. I will do my best not to add any comments until I finish. I will not be a burden to anyone on the walk because I will not ask for anything. If someone decides to share their food with me, I will be very grateful. Of course, the "no food" issue will be my biggest challenge. I don’t drink or use drugs anymore so I won’t be stopping at the pubs to try to get someone to buy me a drink. I will bring some dried food to add water to help to keep my energy level up, for as long as I can.

For people who really know me they would never question my motive behind this. It’s not an ego trip; for me, it’s about self-discovery. As far as people getting angry for what I am about to do, I have discovered that other people's words or actions do affect me but do not control me, if they do I give them permission to control my emotions, I don’t go there anymore. I accept their views even though I may disagree with it. I do not have the power to make someone angry only they can choose to do that! By doing this, I give no chance for a resentment to be born. This keeps me at peace with whom I am.

Most of the readers are calling this an experiment. Of course, it is, it is a test to find out more about myself and what the universe has in store for me. However, I think an experiment is; not knowing what the result will be? I think that is what the Camino-pilgrimage is all about? I have no idea how this will turn out but am excited to take on this challenge.

I like your expression about the bumble bee. Some may choose to stay away from me. Nevertheless, I don’t think so because people always have been interested in my life experiences, and I have invariably been fascinated in theirs. From others, I have learned how to handle situations that use to baffle me.

So I will do my best to stay off this form even though I find it difficult not to defend myself from the allegations made against me, because I feel I am being miss-understood.

So thanks for your suggestions and I hope you won’t hear from me until I complete my walk; I say that with kindness. Jim

I wrote this story about compassion, which a six-year-old at the orphanage here in Thailand where I volunteered. He taught me a great lesson!
http://voices.yahoo.com/proofcompassion ... 95874.html

For people who really know me they would never question my motive behind this.

Jim, on your video you spent some time telling people about your best friend, who has been a friend for a lifetime, falling out with you over this plan. Why was he so anti your idea that he cut you off if he wasn't questioning your motives?

Jim

I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me what you are doing and why.

I still can't agree with you but I personally believe that having said my piece that you must do what you think is right.

I won't be reopening this thread. When you return you might let us know how you got on and whether the Camino chanaged any of your goals.

On a personal level I wish you well and pray your journey is safe not just in body but also in spirit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe its time to permanently lock this thread as it has been done to death and is bringing out the worst in people who are I think, are not normaly angry. I thought the purpose of this forum is to help people who want to do the camino and to share experiences with those who have done it.

Please lock it.

Following your PM I discussed this with Ivar and we have decided not to lock the thread permanently at this stage.

I think a discussion of the nature of this "experiment" can be held without personal abuse. Strong opinions are not necessarily angry ones but I do hope that people count to 10 before hitting the submit button in case they regret what they have said later.

Dear Jim,

You may do whatever you want to do if it is legal. So, if you want to walk your Camino with no money whatever reason you have then go ahead, just do it. I cannot understand why you need other people opinion on your decision.
Are you ready to change your mind and decision already made if majority of members will say “no, you are not right”? I think no, you are not. So, what is the purpose of that discussion? Just do as your mind and heart say you.

My heart and my mind remind me the very old wisdom, it says “God unites different people. Devil divides them”. Right now I can see only seeds of division here.

So, I hope you will make right decision and Buen Camino to you.

Cheers,
Oleg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
William Marques said:
Following your PM I discussed this with Ivar and we have decided not to lock the thread permanently at this stage.

I think a discussion of the nature of this "experiment" can be held without personal abuse. Strong opinions are not necessarily angry ones but I do hope that people count to 10 before hitting the submit button in case they regret what they have said later.

Point taken.

jimkaszynski said:
I wrote this story about compassion, which a six-year-old at the orphanage here in Thailand where I volunteered. He taught me a great lesson!
I found the image of a sixty six year old man sharing a bed with a vulnerable and unrelated six year old orphan particularly disturbing. Irrespective of any lesson Jim might have learned, that child may have been taught that it is appropriate to share his bed in this way, and be even more vulnerable in future when his senses might otherwise tell him that such a situation is dangerous and threatening.

I cannot help but think that it was naive and foolish to choose this approach to provide some small extra short term comfort compared to the far greater long term damage that might have been done.

dougfitz said:
jimkaszynski said:
I found the image of a sixty six year old man sharing a bed with a vulnerable and unrelated six year old orphan particularly disturbing. Irrespective of any lesson Jim might have learned, that child may have been taught that it is appropriate to share his bed in this way, and be even more vulnerable in future when his senses might otherwise tell him that such a situation is dangerous and threatening.

I cannot help but think that it was naive and foolish to choose this approach to provide some small extra short term comfort compared to the far greater long term damage that might have been done.

Doug, you’re going too far with this! As you read I am trying to stay off this form until I complete the walk. You obviously have been attacking me from the beginning of all this. I choose not to attack back. You have picked every word I have said in the wrong content.

As far as the story I wrote about (compassion) me spending the night with a six-year-old orphan in the hospital here in Thailand; this had 20 beds. The hospital does not have nurses. They call it B.Y.Y.O.N. (bring your own nurse.) The family, friends and people, who care for the children, stay with them. Many choose to sleep in the same bed with the children. Sometimes the family is in as much pain as the child. At that moment, I was his father; he was my son. Still one of my greatest life lessons he cared as much for me as I did for him. Even though he was in a lot of pain.

I will not communicate with you anymore. Should I run into you on the Camino, I know you will throw stones at me? However, don’t worry I will not throw any back. I have helped many people in my life, and many have helped me. Nevertheless, some will not accept help and there is nothing I can do about that. I would suggest you consider a 12-step program. It has helped me. It’s all about people sharing his or her life experiences so that others don’t make the same mistakes, no one telling you what to do. I will pray for you. Jim
http://voices.yahoo.com/proofcompassion ... tml?cat=48

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think, people can ask questions, get information and find friends on this forum. They should not be brought in a position where they have to defend themselves for their way of life. That's not according to the idea that the Way belongs to every person, from whatever background. This forum should not claim the right to tell others what to think or to behave. That's according to me..not it's purpose. So could anybody stop this subject?

"the Way belongs to every person, from whatever background. This forum should not claim the right to tell others what to think or to behave. " marian55

Well said marian55, however it is better to continue, we are better with knowledge, I personally wish everyone well, including Jim. This is an amazing honest forum.

Buen Camino

David

Hi Jim, a few questions...

jimkaszynski said:
When I finish the walk, I feel many of you will understand my true motive

Can you reveal what your true motive is now? Why will it take until the end of your walk for us to understand it? How is it different to what you have stated your motives are already?

jimkaszynski said:
Should I run into you on the Camino, I know you will throw stones at me

Seriously dude...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
jimkaszynski said:
Doug, you’re going too far with this!
I had never thought it possible that there could be a limit where it came to questioning our actions around children, and whether we were providing them with good examples of adult behaviour.

jimkaszynski said:
You obviously have been attacking me from the beginning of all this.
Actually, its not obvious, because I haven't been. I have suggested how I might feel if I did meet you and find out what you were doing, and so have others. If that is confronting to you, it might be because what you propose is so confronting.

It appears to be one of your favourite rhetorical devices to suggest that the world is against you, and then play up how wonderful you are or might be in overcoming these obstacles. Well I am not such an obstacle, nor are the people in this forum. You asked for our views, and you have them. We ask questions to understand who you are, and the answers are inconsistent. You ask us to trust you, but offer nothing to suggest why we should.

I think that there is no-one here that would try and stop your pilgrimage, or throw stones at you, or any of the other silly suggestions you might have. When you do walk, just don't kid yourself that you are offering me something valuable by taking my money for food if you are not poor. Don't think for one moment that you are offering me a unique opportunity to help a school somewhere, when I already make my own arrangements to contribute to improving the lives of people in South and Central America, Asia and Africa. Don't think you are anything but another simple pilgrim who will pass fleetingly through the lives of their fellow pilgrims and the many kind-hearted people along the way who will support you.

Hi Crazy Jim
Your experiment will probably work if you walk the camino backwards, i.e. from Santiago to SJPP. This way you will not meet the same people twice. In April we met a pilgrim walking towards us on the Camino Portugues, a few days after Lisbon. He made a point of stopping us, and chatting. Then, after a few minutes, he said he had walked all the way from Germany, along the Camino Frances to Santiago, south to Lisbon, and then he was walking on to Rome. He said he had now run out of money and was having to sleep outside, and could we possibly give him something for food. We gave him 5 euro, wished him well, and continued on our way. Later that day our friends told us the same thing happened to them, and they also gave him money. We worked out that if he did this to every pilgrim he met, he could probably stay in a nice hotel every night! Jill.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back