• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I would like to rent and operate an Albergue on the Camino Frances

Sven Kaven

writer, photographer and mindfulness teacher
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone, perhaps you can help me. :)

After many years of walking the Camino Frances (3 times), Camino Mozarabe and Villa de la Plata, I have come to to the conclusion to swap sides and help pilgrims on their way, by running an Albergue. For that, I am looking for a place to rent, so that I can operate it and serve people on their way. I will be back on the Camino Frances Sep. 2018 to see what is possible. However, if you perhaps have some contacts that could help to already get working on the project, that would be beautiful.

It is going to happen and I would love to connect with you if you could point me in the right direction. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards.
Sven

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sven, that's a wonderful aspriation!
One thing to suggest is to train and serve as a hospitalero first (if you haven't already?).
That will be a foot in the door for you, and it will show you if this kind of life is really suitable in the long term. It's hard work with no down time at all - which surprises people sometimes.

Hi VNwalking, THANKS for replying so quickly. Beautiful! :) I actually decided to move there and commit my life for it now. It's with me such a long and intensive time, that there is not a shred of doubt in me, what my next step will be. We actually want to combine it with a small vegan restaurant, so that pilgrims can build on a nourishing diet in order to be energized for the next day.

SVEN :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The eco-albergue El Beso in Galicia was looking to rent out its operation in 2018. I'm not sure if they want to do it in subsequent years too, but you could contact them and see. It is my favourite albergue on the Camino Francés, for what it's worth.

As a vegetarian, I am happy to hear of your intention.
And as a pragamatist, I would really suggest you do a lot of 'homework.'
This is a huge commitment you are making.
El Beso would be right 'up your alley' as it is a vegetarian and environmentally friendly place already.
With a special vibe and the most amazing old chestnut trees.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Casa de Banderas in Vilacha is still up for sale. See http://www.casabanderas.com/ for details. It is a couple of kilometres before Portomarin which desperately needs more beds.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As a vegetarian, I am happy to hear of your intention.
And as a pragamatist, I would really suggest you do a lot of 'homework.'
This is a huge commitment you are making.
El Beso would be right 'up your alley' as it is a vegetarian and environmentally friendly place already.
With a special vibe and the most amazing old chestnut trees.

VNwalking, I so appreciate your words and most certainly will do my homework, as best as I can. I have lived in many Countries and to get started somewhere is always challenge. Gonna get in touch with Beso... Great Thanks. :)

Sven

Lol, I was about to post the same ;-) Really a must read for everybody that has this or a similar dream!

@Sven Kaven I am happy to meet up with you and chat about all things Camino Hospitality when you are the next time in Santiago! Mit mir kannst Du auch deutsch sprechen ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Hi SY, as for the other members, I gonna stick with English here but when we meet, we can surely speak German then ;) So, do You live in Santiago?

Sven

Casa de Banderas in Vilacha is still up for sale. See http://www.casabanderas.com/ for details. It is a couple of kilometres before Portomarin which desperately needs more beds.

Hey Mark, thanks so much. I gonna get in touch with them and if there is anything I can do to help more pilgrims to have a good night sleep, so I gonna add some more beds.

Best.
Sven

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would simply love to just live on the Camino/Galicia,maybe one day.

Hi Bernie, I have been going pregnant with this now for more than two years. Last year have met a wonderful lady from Australia, who opened a beautiful albergue in Trabadelo / Galicia. Her Albergue ist called Casa Susie and she runs this thing with so much love. The moment I saw this, my dream got woken up again and so decided to eventually act on it.

I just got to do it :)
Sven

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Bernie, I have been going pregnant with this now for more than two years. Last year have met a wonderful lady from Australia, who opened a beautiful albergue in Trabadelo / Galicia. Her Albergue ist called Casa Susie and she runs this thing with so much love. The moment I saw this, my dream got woken up again and so decided to eventually act on it.

I just got to do it :)
Sven

I'm going to visit Casa Susi next month,I wish you all the very best in yer quest,I'm sure if it's possible you will succeed.

May I come be a cook for you there ?
SVEN :)[/QUOTE]

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

After many years of walking the Camino Frances (3 times), Camino Mozarabe and Villa de la Plata, I have come to to the conclusion to swap sides and help pilgrims on their way, by running an Albergue. For that, I am looking for a place to rent, so that I can operate it and serve people on their way. I will be back on the Camino Frances Sep. 2018 to see what is possible. However, if you perhaps have some contacts that could help to already get working on the project, that would be beautiful.

It is going to happen and I would love to connect with you if you could point me in the right direction. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards.
Sven
Sven, I wish you every success in your venture. If I were 20 years younger, I would try to be involved in something similar. Reach for the Campo de Estrellas!

Kind regards.
Sven

Good for you. I too think about relocating to Spain and to open my home to pilgrims but as a Donativo. The call of service is loud.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your idea is commendable and praiseworthy. The additional vegetarian albergue is needed, as are additional beds, especially on that stretch of the Camino Frances. At some point most of us, Camino veterans have had the same thought, or something very similar.

I recommend doing your research, very carefully. I also highly comment Rebekah's post, referenced above. She and her husband Paddy, along with a variable menagerie of dogs, cats and birds have lived on the Camino Frances for more than 10 years now. Rebekah is one of our resident experts on what it means to move to and become part of a small Spanish town.

You might contact her via PM to ask for her direct and personal advice and recommendations.

Hope this helps.

And Sven I would be happy to volunteer some time for you,,and the Camino
Bon Chance

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

I know how to grow some vegetables, (well, one or two), can I be your live-in gardener;)

Buen (dream-realising) Camino

And I can clean windows:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Looks like the team is coming together already ;)
Great stuff.
Sven.

Your idea is commendable and praiseworthy. The additional vegetarian albergue is needed, as are additional beds, especially on that stretch of the Camino Frances. At some point most of us, Camino veterans have had the same thought, or something very similar.

I recommend doing your research, very carefully. I also highly comment Rebekah's post, referenced above. She and her husband Paddy, along with a variable menagerie of dogs, cats and birds have lived on the Camino Frances for more than 10 years now. Rebekah is one of our resident experts on what it means to move to and become part of a small Spanish town.

You might contact her via PM to ask for her direct and personal advice and recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your wonderful response. Yes, I already took a peek at Rebekah's post and have seen, that people do keep recommending doing some sort of volunteering beforehand. Perhaps, I do gonna use my time in September 2018 to instead of walking, volunteering in an albergue on the way to Santiago. Perhaps another note with that. I actually see this venturing into serving others now on the Camino less as a romantic project but as a way to live a life with purpose. Seems like I do not need to search.

I also teach mindfulness and would love to offer our guests mindfulness sessions, while they stay with us. There simply is so much freedom, in living a life with purpose through being the gift in this. :)

Sven

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One very important question @Sven Kaven Do you speak Spanish? If not, or if only "some spanish, just enough to get by", that would be your first challenge. Also, I agree that volunteering at an albergue and learning to know the Camino world from the other side (hospitalero) is paramount before committing any resources to this project. BC SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One very important question @Sven Kaven Do you speak Spanish? If not, or if only "some spanish, just enough to get by", that would be your first challenge. Also, I agree that volunteering at an albergue and learning to know the Camino world from the other side (hospitalero) is paramount before committing any resources to this project. BC SY

Yes, I speak relatively okay Spanish. I have lived in Peru for 6 months and all those years on the Camino have done a great deal on teaching. :)

...Perhaps another note with that. I actually see this venturing into serving others now on the Camino less as a romantic project but as a way to live a life with purpose. Seems like I do not need to search.
Sven

This is a wonderful place to start and I wish you well but as others have mentioned, do volunteer beforehand. This comes from someone who has been a hospitalera on 6 occasions (that's nothing compared to running your own!) and has researched this possibility too.

Keep us informed. I hope you find your place on the Camino.

Ultreia

Kind regards.
Sven
Hi. I will also do the camino in october. So i hope we can meet and share ideas since am also leaning towards doing that myself. Hopefully we can meet up

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Kind regards.
Sven

I stayed in a really nice, vegetarian meal, great vibe place past Aguiada before you get to Sarria, with beautiful mountain views in the back. My friend said that she saw a sign that they were trying to sell it, but who knows, maybe they'd rent: http://palomaylena.com/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed at el baso last year great place and casa Suzi is another great albergue a little bit of Australia in Spain good luck the Camino definitely gets you thinking about giving back and Suzi can also give you some great advice good luck and maybe one day I will volunteer at your albergue

Great reply VNWalking
It’s like being a dairy farmer! Those cows need to be milked twice a day EVERYDAY even when you don’t feel like it!

I was just going to post this! the location is excellent and I loved the place, would be great if it is revived. Also there is a vegan restaurant down the road from it :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
the location is excellent
Sort of. Most pilgrims have their minds set on Portomarin, so they won't stop. Also, no restroom can be made available because of limits on the towns septic field. No restroom = no bar or restaurant. Pilgrims are provided bathroom and shower facilities as they are part of the permit for the albergue. The dinner was great (a tradition you may want to uphold if you rent it!!). Without any other food in town, cena is almost obligatory. The owner has great anecdotes about the area...

The place is a Camino jewel, and it would be a shame for it to disappear.;)

Kind regards.
Sven

If you've not enough avenues to research from the other responses, you might contact Christine at Alburgue Villares de Orbigo, a lovely woman from Belgium who had the same dream. She is on FB or her website...I'm sure she will be honest and helpful. And it you haven't visited, her place is lovely.... http://alberguevillaresdeorbigo.es

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back