• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I would love to hear your first thoughts...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband walked from Burgos in early September 2021 to his albergue service on the Meseta at Caldazilla de los Hermanillos and then on to Ponferada in October afterwards. He had to stop and buy a jacket at Decathlon in October. Unless you are staying only in private rooms with linens. I recommend a 3 season sleeping bag rather than a liner bag for these months.

My husband walked from Burgos in early September 2021 to his albergue service on the Meseta at Caldazilla de los Hermanillos and then on to Ponferada in October afterwards. He had to stop and buy a jacket at Decathlon in October. Unless you are staying only in private rooms with linens. I recommend a 3 season sleeping bag rather than a liner bag for these months.
Thank you for your thoughts!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first thought was "How nice that @Simpleman66 is planning a Camino for October, but I have no idea what he is expecting with this post.!" 🤣 (Sorry, but you asked!)
:) Sometimes when I ask specific questions, I curate the answers according to what I know to ask about. Its fun to see what pops in peoples minds. I learn things I did not know I should even ask! :) For example, I am glad you thought "how nice" rather than "Oh no!" :)

My wife and I are planning on walking our first Camino starting October 3rd from Leon to Santiago de Compostela.
Have you walked significant distances together in the past?

I ask because while I enjoy walking with others, when I am on Camino there are often times when I want to walk on my own and I have heard from others that they too like to keep their own company from time to time on Camino.

It is possible that you and your wife may also have these times when you want to walk alone.

I think that it is a good idea to discuss this before you start walking so that if it does come up for either of you then it doesn't cause an issue.

Also, if you haven't yet walked together for significant distances then if possible, take the time to do this before you leave so that you both know that you can walk at a compatible pace or if not then you develop a technique such as walking ahead and then waiting for the other party.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have you walked significant distances together in the past?

I ask because while I enjoy walking with others, when I am on Camino there are often times when I want to walk on my own and I have heard from others that they too like to keep their own company from time to time on Camino.

It is possible that you and your wife may also have these times when you want to walk alone.

I think that it is a good idea to discuss this before you start walking so that if it does come up for either of you then it doesn't cause an issue.

Also, if you haven't yet walked together for significant distances then if possible, take the time to do this before you leave so that you both know that you can walk at a compatible pace or if not then you develop a technique such as walking ahead and then waiting for the other party.
Love the advice! Thank you so much, so practical!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino!
As @DoughnutANZ mentioned consider having The Talk on how to approach Camino as a couple. Do you both need to walk together? Will one of you be fine with the other walking ahead and meeting up at the day's end stage? What happens if one of you decides it's not what they imagined and wants to stop walking, do they bus to the next town while the other walks?

I hope you have a wonderful time and that your aches and pains are minimal!

Buen Camino!
As @DoughnutANZ mentioned consider having The Talk on how to approach Camino as a couple. Do you both need to walk together? Will one of you be fine with the other walking ahead and meeting up at the day's end stage? What happens if one of you decides it's not what they imagined and wants to stop walking, do they bus to the next town while the other walks?

I hope you have a wonderful time and that your aches and pains are minimal!
Thank you for adding to the wisdom. More discussions to have!

Buen Camino
Ultreia
Have fun
Happy trails
Keep your power dry
and remember, it's just walking and probably won't kill you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have walked that section of the CF 4 times (only in Spring mind you) and loved it every time. Rabanal del Camino is one of my favourite places. Be prepared for all kinds of weather, i.e. bring appropriate clothing. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

:) Sometimes when I ask specific questions, I curate the answers according to what I know to ask about. Its fun to see what pops in peoples minds. I learn things I did not know I should even ask! :) For example, I am glad you thought "how nice" rather than "Oh no!" :)
You make this sound like some social experiment that you are conducting on your fellow forum members for no specific reason but your own enjoyment. While I expect that many of us will have made first posts of a very general nature, other than the title of the thread, you haven't even bothered to ask a question in the post. What gives? If you need help with something, ask. There are many forum members always willing to help. Letting everyone know when you are walking is fine too, and there might be some people walking at the same time that will remember you telling us that and look out for you along the way. But please, don't think posting just to have a bit of fun at other forum members expense is going to be seen as engaging with us honestly and openly.

Last edited:
The OP's comment was posted in the Introduce Yourself sub forum so assuming this is exactly that, an introduction post. (hello @Simpleman66 :) 👋)

First thoughts are requested on this information:
- walking with his wife
- it's his first Camino
- they're walking in October
- stage is Leon to Santiago

@Simpleman66 Since I've not done a Camino yet myself I don't have much wisdom to offer but I do have a partner and we have travelled so from that perspective my thoughts would be - you need to be very clear at the outset about expectations, walking together (or not), continuing alone if needed if one gets an injury while the other bussed ahead for example, what your deal breakers are etc.

From a "stage" perspective, you've chosen a beautiful place to start. I hope you take a day or two to look around and explore.

Enjoy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You make this sound like some social experiment that you are conducting on your fellow forum members for no specific reason but your own enjoyment. While I expect that many of us will have made first posts of a very general nature, other than the title of the thread, you haven't even bothered to ask a question in the post. What gives? If you need help with something, ask. There are many forum members always willing to help. Letting everyone know when you are walking is fine too, and there might be some people walking at the same time that will remember you telling us that and look out for you along the way. But please, don't think posting just to have a bit of fun at other forum members expense is going to be seen as engaging with us honestly and openly.
Oh Doug, my fellow pilgrim, I would never do this as any kind of experiment. I am sorry for having offended you somehow. I am asking with the very intention of learning from so many here who have walked these paths over the years. But I am new and I do not know what I do not know, this is why I asked so broadly. I have already recieved blessing from the wisdom shared about relationship on the Camino, things to be prepared for and the value of doing this in October from this location. I am trying to learn much more broadly, I am brand new to all of this. JMac56, RJM, K_Lynn, C Clearly, Doughnut ANZ and J Willhaus have already contributed from their experiences and wisdom, I am so thankful for this. I value those who have gone before me in every area of life, that was why I joined this forum.

The OP's comment was posted in the Introduce Yourself sub forum so assuming this is exactly that, an introduction post. (hello @Simpleman66 :) 👋)

First thoughts are requested on this information:
- walking with his wife
- it's his first Camino
- they're walking in October
- stage is Leon to Santiago

@Simpleman66 Since I've not done a Camino yet myself I don't have much wisdom to offer but I do have a partner and we have travelled so from that perspective my thoughts would be - you need to be very clear at the outset about expectations, walking together (or not), continuing alone if needed if one gets an injury while the other bussed ahead for example, what your deal breakers are etc.

From a "stage" perspective, you've chosen a beautiful place to start. I hope you take a day or two to look around and explore.

Enjoy!
Thank you Flauna for sharing what you have learned, it is valuable. Thank you also for coming to my aid, I meant no harm.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back