• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I wouldn't have known what to do...

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Because of you all, I knew what to pack.

Because of you all, I decided to fly into Madrid, and figured out how to get to Pamplona.

Because of you all, I knew to use Corazon Puro, as that worked best for me.

Because of your amazing photographs, I chose to spend one night in SJPP.

Because of this forum, I have my credential, and my forum badge.

Because of all of you here, I have many eyes on my choices, to help me reason and figure things out.

Because of this forum, I have a community of very intelligent people who are willing to hear me out, argue with me, encourage me, and ignore me---yes, ignore me--if I'm being obnoxious! lol, fortunately, I don't go there too much.

I realized today how close I am to my dream of walking the Camino. I have about three months to go. I actually got a little teary-eyed with happiness, and just a healthy dose of apprehension. I am working out with great discipline, and will do everything in my human power to meet the challenge. I'm no longer feeling "old". I'm feeling capable and hopeful, and that means the world. I thank you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Because of you all, I decided to fly into Madrid, and figured out how to get to Pamplona.

Because of all of you here, I have many eyes on my choices, to help me reason and figure things out.

Because of this forum, I have a community of very intelligent people who are willing to hear me out, argue with me, encourage me, and ignore me---yes, ignore me--if I'm being obnoxious! lol, fortunately, I don't go there too much.

I realized today how close I am to my dream of walking the Camino. I have about three months to go. I actually got a little teary-eyed with happiness, and just a healthy dose of apprehension. I am working out with great discipline, and will do everything in my human power to meet the challenge. I'm no longer feeling "old". I'm feeling capable and hopeful, and that means the world. I thank you.
You will do fine and meeting lots off people along the way .Wish you well and a Buen Camino ,Peter .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

I am sure you will have an amazing time. 12 months ago tomorrow I walked into Santiago having left from Ronsevalles 33 days earlier. At 58 I was very nervous but it was the best experience in my life. I would go again tomorrow if I could. This forum was very valuable to me and I met a number of people from the forum as I walked. Enjoy and savour every moment. It will be awesome and oh so difficult but just the best experience. Good luck and every blessing to you.

Okay, confession time…. about my age. I definitely pondered a long while about attempting the Pyrenees, but my grown children and 4 grandsons being my biggest boosters, reminded me that if I didn't do it, I'd regret it, and they're right. I am hoping to time my walk to arrive at Santiago DeCompostela Cathedral for my 80th birthday (Nov 2). Depending on how I do on the trail, it may happen sooner and that would be wonderful as well. Most don't take me for my age. My forum photo; I was 75. I love being where I am right now…. I've never enjoyed my life more. Every day I give thanks, not only for excellent health, but having a life so filled with so many blessings, which I will count along the way. What to say about this forum….. so much kindness and patience from Veterans with newbies!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a wonderful inspiration you are Maggie! May your camino be wonder-filled! However In the great excitment of finally starting off don't try to do too much too fast; take it slow and easy especially the first week. Do let us know how it all goes.

Carpe diem and Buen camino!
Margaret Meredith

Okay, confession time…. about my age. I definitely pondered a long while about attempting the Pyrenees, but my grown children and 4 grandsons being my biggest boosters, reminded me that if I didn't do it, I'd regret it, and they're right. I am hoping to time my walk to arrive at Santiago DeCompostela Cathedral for my 80th birthday (Nov 2). Depending on how I do on the trail, it may happen sooner and that would be wonderful as well. Most don't take me for my age. My forum photo; I was 75. I love being where I am right now…. I've never enjoyed my life more. Every day I give thanks, not only for excellent health, but having a life so filled with so many blessings, which I will count along the way. What to say about this forum….. so much kindness and patience from Veterans with newbies!

It's said that "age is just a number," and honestly, you look to be my age. When you are a "moving" person, and use your receptacle well through the years, you just tend to maintain better. Look at you sitting crosslegged and happy in your photo! You look great. That was only four years ago.

I am delighted and inspired by you!

Maggie last year I had the very great pleasure to walk with two beautiful and wonderful ladies from New Zealand, June was 78 and Elisabeth was 79 and much faster and stronger than me. I too was worried about the Pyrenees but my son Ben walked 5 months before me and told me I could do it. Your family know you best of all, trust them.
Whatever your age its amazing and I for one feel blessed to be part of it.
Buen camino
Sarah

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I realized today how close I am to my dream of walking the Camino. I have about three months to go. I actually got a little teary-eyed with happiness, and just a healthy dose of apprehension. I am working out with great discipline, and will do everything in my human power to meet the challenge. I'm no longer feeling "old". I'm feeling capable and hopeful, and that means the world. I thank you.[/QUOTE

Sounds like your well on your way! Pun intended :) I just finished my Camino on June 5. I felt the same way as you before I left. I feel great and would do it again in a flash! I went solo and very glad I did. But do watch your stuff diligently. Especially your money and passport. I noticed that most albergues would accept a copy of your passport. They really didn't insist on the original. Your passport number is also on your credential.
Anyways if I can help you in any way don't hesitate to ask.
BTW I'm from Medford Or.

Good luck with your Camino! I have been home now for 2 weeks - did the Camino Frances. Started in SJPP on May 10, 2015 and got my official Compostela Certificate on June 12, 2015 in Santiago de Compostela. It was an absolutely amazing, amazing journey. It was because of this forum that I knew what to pack, where to start, where to stay and how to take good care of my feet (blister-free journey for both myself and my hubby),

Good luck with your Camino! I walked the entire Camino Frances beginning in SJPP on May 10, 2015 and ending in Santiago de Compostela on June 12, 2015 with my hubby. Thanks to the forum, I knew exactly what to pack, what to leave behind, how to train, what footwear to use, where to stay, where to eat, what to expect and most importantly of all - how to take good care of our feet. Hubby and I both managed to remain completely blister-free! Our toes are still numb, mind you, even two weeks later but oh so worth the kilometers we put them through. The one thing I did not expect and what became one of the most incredible parts of the experience for us both, was how social the walk can be - we have made friends for life from all over the world not just because of this forum but because we chose to talk to our fellow pilgrims and enjoyed their company. We would walk for many kilometers and sometimes many days with the same pilgrims. It was the most incredible journey EVER! And footwear, socks and foot care is IMPORTANT!! Make sure your shoes or boots are well broken in, wear good socks (I had 4 sets but became obsessed with one pair and washed them daily) - and if you feel a hot spot - STOP RIGHT AWAY, SIT DOWN, TAKE OFF YOUR BOOTS/SHOES AND SOCKS, CHANGE SOCKS OR AIR THEM OUT AND CHANGE FEET, AND TAPE THOSE HOT SPOTS - JUST USE WHITE MEFIX OR VERSION THEREOF. If you have calluses or bunions then use silicon pads or toes sleeves with gel - BUT NO KIDDING - LOOK AFTER YOUR FEET. Too many pilgrims had their Camino journey cut short by blisters and infections and they had to get emergency foot care at a clinic and then sit for a few days to weeks to heal before continuing. As stated earlier - I managed to avoid the foot problems by taking care before they started. Having said all that - Enjoy the journey - take it all in and go with the flow! Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Best piece of advice - having just returned and having met a lovely 80+ man from Toronto - take your time, stay hydrated and do not over walk! Mr. 80+ walked 40 km some days and he collapsed at one point due to dehydration, lack of food and water - spent a night in the ER (However, he got amazing care!) and he beat us to Santiago by 4 days! - But do pace yourself and plan your stops each evening for the next day based on how you feel - if using Brierley's book - try not to go bottom of page to top of page - try to stagger your stops on the less popular villages - they are all fantastic and all friendly anyway! Buen Camino

Best piece of advice - having just returned and having met a lovely 80+ man from Toronto - take your time, stay hydrated and do not over walk! Mr. 80+ walked 40 km some days and he collapsed at one point due to dehydration, lack of food and water - spent a night in the ER (However, he got amazing care!) and he beat us to Santiago by 4 days! - But do pace yourself and plan your stops each evening for the next day based on how you feel - if using Brierley's book - try not to go bottom of page to top of page - try to stagger your stops on the less popular villages - they are all fantastic and all friendly anyway! Buen Camino
It's advice like this that helps so much. Not to worry; I have no plan of walking 40km. Building up my training here on Vancouver Island to be comfortable walking 20 km max up and down with my pack. I've also allowed myself a few rest days on the trail. I know not to overdo. With this forum, Brierley's book, good sense, fellow pilgrims and lots and lots of water I know I'll be just fine…..Thank you!

I so agree with you! I feel as though I have just joined a very supportive group. I am actually having a great time preparing for my Camino. Walking along many new roads in my own community in order to be ready in September.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Depending on how I do on the trail, it may happen sooner and that would be wonderful as well. Most don't take me for my age.
You are an inspiration to us all. My wife and I walked for a few days on the CF in 2013 with an Australian lady of 82. We'd have walked with her more days but she dropped us one day when we stopped and she wanted to go on. We never saw her again. And she had broken her arm on the first day!

Just take it easy, walk at your pace, and I'll bet you do great!

Deb, I can feel your excitement!! You've done a great job preparing, hope you can truly relax and enjoy the entire journey once you touch down. And - can't wait to meet you!
Hugs,
Faith

You are an inspiration to us all. My wife and I walked for a few days on the CF in 2013 with an Australian lady of 82. We'd have walked with her more days but she dropped us one day when we stopped and she wanted to go on. We never saw her again. And she had broken her arm on the first day!

Just take it easy, walk at your pace, and I'll bet you do great!
To tweak a parody a bit…mad dogs and Scotswomen. I cannot wait.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Maggie, I met another woman from France who must have been about 80 and she was an inspiration to me! Buen Camino! And may you realize every step of the way what an amazing woman you are!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

/I realized today how close I am to my dream of walking the Camino. I have about three months to go. I actually got a little teary-eyed with happiness, and just a healthy dose of apprehension. I am working out with great discipline, and will do everything in my human power to meet the challenge. I'm no longer feeling "old". I'm feeling capable and hopeful, and that means the world. I thank you/.
Good luck! Buen Camino!

You will be fine. There was another lady we met along the way. She's 80 as well and she did it. She was so happy when we met again in Santiago that she mentioned she is going to attend to her 60th high school reunion this July (now this month).
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Good on you. Have a wonderful camino. Mine seemed like hell at times but, while it was, it wasn't, and I'm coming back next year and I can't wait.

Hey Mvanert, tell me about your hell? What was particularly hard for you? So curious now :)

Thanks so much.

I once found the most wonderful birthday card I have ever seen for my mother's 80th. It was a photo of a tiny old woman, looked at least 90, scrawny and aproned, proudly carrying an enormous birthday cake and beaming. The caption was: "Age doesn't matter unless you're a cheese".

A selection of Camino Jewellery

what's a forum badge?

what's a forum badge?

Leah: click on the forum link "Services in Santiago by Ivar"

Then, go to the "store"

Ivar sells a variety of cool stuff, including the forum badge, which you sew to your backpack. It shows fellow pilgrims that you belong to this forum, and we are --of course!--friends, family, or at least casual acquaintances here!

Attachments

• 342xNxpilgrim-badge.jpg
    342xNxpilgrim-badge.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2
Wow! You are an inspiration!! My husband and I will be starting in SJPDP early September. I hope we see you on the trail. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back