• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iberia Airlines Experiences

taozenqi

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: Sept/Oct (2014)
Looking to fly from the US to Madrid and wondering what the pilgrim experiences have been with Iberia Airlines. The google reviews were not too positive. How was your flight?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Iberia is OK, but it has gotten worse under the guidance of British Airways. They code share with American Airlines and British Airways, so probably won't operate your flights except in Spain.

Iberia is OK, but it has gotten worse under the guidance of British Airways. They code share with American Airlines and British Airways, so probably won't operate your flights except in Spain.

Wow, thanks for the immediate feedback. Interesting... I was looking at flying out of Miami and was told that it was just the opposite. IOWs, it would be Iberia equipment & crew operating the British Airways booking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
American Airlines is the only airlines that serves my little cow town, so I am always on Iberia from Chicago. They code share with American. American doesn´t fly to Spain from Chicago, so if I want to stay on One World and go direct from Chicago, Iberia is the only option. The only thing that I really don´t like about Iberia is that if you book through American, you can´t reserve your seat on the flight to Madrid until day of departure. That is really annoying. If you buy your ticket through Iberia, though, I think you can.

In terms of service, I have never understood all the bashing. I have always found the service to be good and the flight attendants to be generally nice and helpful. It is often the case that there are a few flight attendants that don´t speak English and I have had to do some interpreting on occasion, and maybe that makes some people mad, but overall I think they are fine (and in fairness to Iberia, I should also point out that there are always a few flight attendants flying to and from Spain on AA who don´t speak much if any Spanish, so I don´t think it´s fair to criticize Iberia for that). Let´s face it, flying economy class on any airline just isn´t fun anymore, but I don´t think Iberia is any worse than the others.

I´d go with the cheaper price. Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the immediate feedback. Interesting... I was looking at flying out of Miami and was told that it was just the opposite. IOWs, it would be Iberia equipment & crew operating the British Airways booking.

I have flown on American to Madrid from Miami and there is also an Iberia flight that leaves around the same time. I don´t think there is a BA flight to Madrid from Miami.

I am flying on Iberia from Madrid to Chicago (then onto Denver via American). I called Iberia yesterday because my ticket said to contact them for seat assignment. I did call and they said American had already reserved a seat for me....20J...a window...so I am happy!:D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Miami is one of the remaining U.S. cities served by Iberia. From most of the rest of the east coast, flights go through New York, Heathrow, or Chicago. The direct flight from Washington to Madrid is long gone. Once in Madrid, Iberia will take you to other cities in Spain. My checked baggage has been delayed three of the last five times on tickets sold by Iberia after a decade of getting them to my destination on time. Iberia pilots seem to have issues with management and British Airways, so they have had some labor stoppages.

I am flying on Iberia from Madrid to Chicago (then onto Denver via American). I called Iberia yesterday because my ticket said to contact them for seat assignment. I did call and they said American had already reserved a seat for me....20J...a window...so I am happy!:D

Rosemary, which airlines issued you the ticket? If you say American, I am going to have to find out your secret for getting a seat assignment. Because I have flown Chicago-Madrid many many times on Iberia and I have never been able to book my seat, but I have always booked it through American.

Iberia on European routes is like a low cost carrier at a full service price. In August I flew from SDC to London via Madrid and ended up with Iberia Express (very budget airline - just like Cebu Pacific or Tiger Air)) to Madrid, then Iberia to London. On the Iberia plane, I was sat near the front and the air stewardesses came round with the trolley, so I ordered a sandwich and apple juice, but was stunned when they asked me to pay for it!. It's the first time I've come across budget service like this from a regular national carrier charging regular non budget fares.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Iberia on European routes is like a low cost carrier at a full service price. In August I flew from SDC to London via Madrid and ended up with Iberia Express (very budget airline - just like Cebu Pacific or Tiger Air)) to Madrid, then Iberia to London. On the Iberia plane, I was sat near the front and the air stewardesses came round with the trolley, so I ordered a sandwich and apple juice, but was stunned when they asked me to pay for it!. It's the first time I've come across budget service like this from a regular national carrier charging regular non budget fares.

Well, NoQ, you have obviously been spoiled. We in the US have had to pay for food in economy for years now for domestic flights. Are you telling me the European airlines don't charge for food in economy?

And btw, Iberia Express is not Iberia, it is in fact a "low cost carrier." A flight attendant on my last Iberia flight explained to me what happened. At least according to her, Iberia shut down a large number of routes, because that was the only way they could fire the employees. They then formed a subsidiary, Iberia Express, started up all the routes again, and hired the same people back at lower wages.

Rosemary, which airlines issued you the ticket? If you say American, I am going to have to find out your secret for getting a seat assignment. Because I have flown Chicago-Madrid many many times on Iberia and I have never been able to book my seat, but I have always booked it through American.
I am flying FROM Madrid by way of Iberia booked through American. I had no clue about Iberia, but concerned about getting a horrible seat called Iberia and they just told me I could not reserve a seat but that American had already done that for me! Interesting fact....I called American previously and they said I would have to call Iberia?!!..So, I just don't know!o_O

Miami is one of the remaining U.S. cities served by Iberia. From most of the rest of the east coast, flights go through New York, Heathrow, or Chicago. The direct flight from Washington to Madrid is long gone. Once in Madrid, Iberia will take you to other cities in Spain. My checked baggage has been delayed three of the last five times on tickets sold by Iberia after a decade of getting them to my destination on time. Iberia pilots seem to have issues with management and British Airways, so they have had some labor stoppages.

Thanks again for the update, falcon.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am flying FROM Madrid by way of Iberia booked through American. I had no clue about Iberia, but concerned about getting a horrible seat called Iberia and they just told me I could not reserve a seat but that American had already done that for me! Interesting fact....I called American previously and they said I would have to call Iberia?!!..So, I just don't know!o_O

?!Who's on first ?!

The only cities in North America with non-stop Iberia flights to Madrid are Boston, New York, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Juan.

Iberia also flies non-stop to Barcelona from Miami and New York

Thanks, Rosemary.
I'm flying to Madrid on Iberia in less than three weeks, and I just called to see about seat assignment. American said they couldn't help and Iberia said blah blah blah but in the end they couldn't help either. So I don't know how you were so lucky!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurie,
Have you attempted connections from Barcelona to SJPP a/o Pamplona? I've heard they are more tedious than via Madrid...Jim

Looking to fly from the US to Madrid and wondering what the pilgrim experiences have been with Iberia Airlines. The google reviews were not too positive. How was your flight?
I am interested in your enquiry and the nature of pilgrim expectation when it comes to flights, given we are going to use the slowest method of transport once we arrive on the Camino. Even on my short Caminos , bus or train journeys have seemed miraculously fast. In many ways I'm a much more relaxed passenger after walking a long way. My expectations are exceeded if we depart and arrive on time !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since the merger with British Airways Iberia staff have had a 20% pay cut, thousands have lost their jobs (the post about Iberia Express says it all) and the existing staff have been told that they are only guaranteed their jobs for the next two years. Recently the airline group ordered planes for BA and Vueling (another low cost airline in group) but none for Iberia. Vueling fleet will grow from 70 to 125 planes. It's a hard time for the Iberia employees all round.

I have flown Iberia in Spain & wasn't impressed. My son-in-law flew them from the US & said it was horrible. Very uncomfortable. I'm going to walk in May & will fly American non-stop from DFW. I looked at Iberia out of Chicago but don't think I'd chance inferior equipment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have flown Iberia in Spain & wasn't impressed. My son-in-law flew them from the US & said it was horrible. Very uncomfortable. I'm going to walk in May & will fly American non-stop from DFW. I looked at Iberia out of Chicago but don't think I'd chance inferior equipment.

Of course everyone has a different opinion about the quality of service, but in terms of the airplanes themselves, I flew back and forth to Spain three times in the last 12 months, and have flown both Iberia and American, from Chicago (Iberia), Dallas (American) and Miami (American). The only new planes in the bunch were the Iberian airbuses, the American planes were old. I'm going again in a few weeks, over on Iberia and home on American, so I will report back.

Iberia Express is a budget airline, run by Iberia. Iberia is Iberia... so these are two airlines, although you might get booked on an Iberia Express flight with an Iberia ticket. I have found Iberia to be ok.... I say ok since some of their long distance planes are... not old, but not the latest model.... I have always had good service from them.

When you make your booking, note if you are booked on Iberia Express... if so, expect a more budget-like experience (although not as bad as Ryanair).

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Peregrina 2000 and Ivar, thank you so much for the input. I see I have skipped lots since the nineties.

I have lived in Asia for 14 years and when I came back to Europe this summer I was amazed at the difference in quality regarding Iberia. A normal Iberia flight used to offer a full meal and comfortable seating, like any other modern day Asian airline. But now, the meal has gone, the seating is very much more cramped like a budget airline and it honestly feels like flying Cebu Pac, AK, Nok, or SEA Air. Nothing wrong with those airlines, but it cost me 800 pounds to fly SDC - LHR and LHR - MAD for 2 people. That's a high price for no food, budget seating, no ent, and basically a National Express experience. I am sure I have been out of touch with the Western world, but the changes do appear dramatic.

Anyway, a couple of hundred more coupled with a budget service is nothing for the chance of being on the Camino again. Roll on April and the Camino Ingles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Falcon269,
How much of a delay are you talking about? I am flying Chicago > Madrid> Pamplona and hope I won't have a problem.
Stefania13/14

Of course everyone has a different opinion about the quality of service, but in terms of the airplanes themselves, I flew back and forth to Spain three times in the last 12 months, and have flown both Iberia and American, from Chicago (Iberia), Dallas (American) and Miami (American). The only new planes in the bunch were the Iberian airbuses, the American planes were old. I'm going again in a few weeks, over on Iberia and home on American, so I will report back.
Completely agree that opinions frequently vary re: quality. I have had great service using BA but many dislike them. OTOH, I cannot recommend an American flight to anywhere
Look forward to your upcoming flight experience.Safe travels...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
since iberia was bought out by british airlines, things are never the same again. ticket prices have gone up, staff of iberia are living in limbo, morale has dipped tremendously, services have gone a long way to be desired.

noq,
next time fly directly from a coruna to lhr with vueling. you will save a lot of money. jusy take the bus or train to a coruna, transfer to airpot bus that costs, i think, 1.47 euros. i took this flight 2 weeks ago from a coruna. i bought a ticket to include a check in luggage for 105 euros.

Laurie,
Have you attempted connections from Barcelona to SJPP a/o Pamplona? I've heard they are more tedious than via Madrid...Jim

Hi, Jim,
If your choice is flying into Madrid or Barcelona, for me Madrid is hands down the preferred choice. It's marginally closer to Pamplona (where you have to go either way), but it's much closer to Santiago for your trip home.

If you're looking at US to Spain on Iberia or American, I would price a "open jaw" ticket that goes:
US-Madrid-Pamplona and then Santiago-Madrid-US. You may find that those flights only add a small amount on to a round trip from US to Madrid, and you save a lot of time and expense that way.

Flying from Santiago to Madrid to home means I can do the return all in one day, whereas if I take a train or bus to Madrid, I have to spend a night in Madrid and go out the next day. Of course, sometimes I want to spend some time in Madrid and I go on the train. But if not, I can leave Santiago on a flight to Madrid that leaves around 9 am and be home before 9 pm central time.

Hi, Jim,
If your choice is flying into Madrid or Barcelona, for me Madrid is hands down the preferred choice. It's marginally closer to Pamplona (where you have to go either way), but it's much closer to Santiago for your trip home.

If you're looking at US to Spain on Iberia or American, I would price a "open jaw" ticket that goes:
US-Madrid-Pamplona and then Santiago-Madrid-US. You may find that those flights only add a small amount on to a round trip from US to Madrid, and you save a lot of time and expense that way.

Flying from Santiago to Madrid to home means I can do the return all in one day, whereas if I take a train or bus to Madrid, I have to spend a night in Madrid and go out the next day. Of course, sometimes I want to spend some time in Madrid and I go on the train. But if not, I can leave Santiago on a flight to Madrid that leaves around 9 am and be home before 9 pm central time.

Thanks again for the insight. Right now I'm leaning to the Madrid - Pamplona - SJPP route. After finishing the Camino, I will spend some time exploring Spain so either the plane or train back to Madrid will work for me.

Hi, Jim,

Hi Peregrina2000!

I have an 11:40 flight out of Madrid back to the US (not until July 5, 2014) I could get on a plane that morning out of SCQ and would get to Madrid at 10:30....would that be enough time? Or, should I plan on getting to Madrid the evening before and possibly do some exploring? Either way I cannot miss my flight back. Thanks for any suggestions!:cool:
Rosemary

Hi Peregrina2000!

I have an 11:40 flight out of Madrid back to the US (not until July 5, 2014) I could get on a plane that morning out of SCQ and would get to Madrid at 10:30....would that be enough time? Or, should I plan on getting to Madrid the evening before and possibly do some exploring? Either way I cannot miss my flight back. Thanks for any suggestions!:cool:
Rosemary

Hi, Rosemary, based on what you say, I'm assuming you are not booked from Santiago-Madrid-US. That's how I had my return ticket this summer and what it meant was that if my flight from Santiago to Madrid missed my connection, the airlines would have to rebook me. If you already have your flight from Madrid to US and are thinking of buying a separate Santiago-Madrid segment, you are taking a risk. There should be enough time for the connection, but if your flight is late and you miss it, the airlines doesn't owe you anything.

So, on your next Camino :) you should check into the price of having your return ticket start in Santiago. I frequently find that it doesn't much at all. And it saves you a day.

But, having to go into Madrid for an afternoon and evening isn't really a punishment. I have started my return plane trip home from Madrid on a number of occasions, and what I frequently do is take the overnight train the night before (getting a berth is really pretty cheap), arriving in Madrid early in the morning. Then I have a whole day in Madrid, spend the night there, and can easily get out to the airport on Cercanias for a late morning flight.

But in any event, if you don't have your ticket booked from Santiago, I wouldn't risk it and would come in the day before.

It's all a roll of the dice! I flew from Madrid to Chicago on Iberia 8 Oct 2013 on a full flight except for the 3 empty seats besides me. Food was better on British Airways when I flew from Chicago to London. But, 3 empty seats next to me...how can I complain.When I flew on Iberia from London to Madrid they charged for all beverages. I booked through CheapOAir...

I've always flown on Iberia and felt the service, seating, food, etc. were fine.

mmm042,
Thanks for taking the time to share your + experiences.
tzq

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We live in Costa Rica and often travel (lowest fares) with IB(eria) to Spain and our nearest Camino starting point airport (Pamplona, Oviedo, Santiago, etc.). We just returned from Santiago (SCQ) via Madrid (MAD) to San Jose (SJO) without a single problem. Our travel alternatives to Spain are complicated (apart from immigration "courtesies" in the USA), without real cost/benefit advantages. We are not concerned about who owns Iberia airlines and can confirm that their performance has, up to now, been quite correct.

Hi Peregrina2000!

Rosemary
Hi Rosemary.
We just returned from SCQ via Madrid to S.José (Costa Rica) this last Thursday. The flight left a bit late (about 9.30) from SCQ and we got to our gate in Madrid as they were boarding the plane ((which leaves at 11.45). I was a bit worried if our packs would make it, as for once, we checked them in, however they made it.
We have been flying regularly with Iberia over the last 7 years and frankly, I have nothing to quibble about! We have even been upgraded to Business Class on more than one occasion! Our tickets are always OpenJaw, which works out way cheaper than taking other bus or train connections in Spain. Before the time when Iberia started their direct daily flight between S. José and Madrid, we had to change in Miami or Caracas ( Miami being the worst option). Three cheers for Iberia! Anne

Hi Rosemary.
We just returned from SCQ via Madrid to S.José (Costa Rica) this last Thursday. The flight left a bit late (about 9.30) from SCQ and we got to our gate in Madrid as they were boarding the plane ((which leaves at 11.45). I was a bit worried if our packs would make it, as for once, we checked them in, however they made it.
We have been flying regularly with Iberia over the last 7 years and frankly, I have nothing to quibble about! We have even been upgraded to Business Class on more than one occasion! Our tickets are always OpenJaw, which works out way cheaper than taking other bus or train connections in Spain. Before the time when Iberia started their direct daily flight between S. José and Madrid, we had to change in Miami or Caracas ( Miami being the worst option). Three cheers for Iberia! Anne
Thanks Anne! I shall not worry about Iberia in the least and will proceed onward to Madrid from SCQ when my time on the Camino has come to a close.:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi rosemary,

What time, what airport and what date is your flight back to the us?

Good luck.

I am due to leave from Madrid at 11:40 on Saturday, July 5th. I am leaning toward spending that Friday night in Madrid so I am not rushed that morning. Plus I have never been to Madrid!
Thanks!
Rosemary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I flew from California to Madrid last August. First leg of the trip was an America Airline plane. Second leg was an Iberia plane. It was uncomfortable, small, TV on the ceiling. Bathroom were old. Imagine that the seats had an ashtray. Yep! That old. Service was friendly and professional.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As promised, my AA-Iberia comparison. I just flew on Iberia from Chicago to Madrid, and on American from Madrid to Dallas. In terms of service, both were fine, but my standards are not too high. Airline food is just blech in economy class, no matter what the airline. The flight attendants have good and bad days. Like most people, if you are nice to them, they will be nice to you.

Several of the American flight attendants didn't speak Spanish.

Both planes were new, but Iberia's was nicer and felt newer. An Airbus 300, with better reclining seats, a personal TV screen. American's was a 767, but they fly a bigger plane in high season, I think.

The real annoyance for me is that when I buy an American ticket that has a code share with an Iberia flight, I cannot select my seat until day of departure. Others have had better luck, but I never can do it.

My bottom line is that I would go with the better price and scheduling and not purposefully avoid any of the major airlines. Their safety records are all comparable and that's the main thing.

As promised, my AA-Iberia comparison. I just flew on Iberia...

My bottom line is that I would go with the better price and scheduling and not purposefully avoid any of the major airlines. Their safety records are all comparable and that's the main thing.

Appreciate your follow-up. thanks...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.