• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iberia Airlines

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is news to me. I don't know if this is something new (I have been away for the last two weeks).

I know that there has been a sight pilgrims discount at some Santiago travel agencies, but from what I have heard this discount only applies to the more "expensive" tickets so it's not a good deal.

I know that Iberia has been cutting prices in general lately after the arrival of the low-cost airlines, but this is not related to a pilgrim discount.

For a list of airlines (and links) flying out of Santiago, please have a look here:
http://www.santiago-today.com/flights-t ... ostela.cfm

If anyone can add to this, please post your message here.

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

The discount is not new, as people from SE England used to use it on the flight to Heathrow. It's a discount on the normal full fare, so with the arrival of Ryanair I doubt whether it's much used any more.

According to industry gossip http://www.aerovia.com/noticias/noticia ... ticia=6025
Iberia is planning on starting a low-cost subsidiary next year - though whether they'll be any more successful than BA or KLM must be questionable ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Actually it has been rumored that Iberia is interested in buying Vueling Airlines.

When Vueling was confronted with this rumor this week, they denied any such plans.

Let's see what happens.

Ivar

I read it in "Walking the Camino de Santiago" be Bethan Davies and Ben Cole. It literally says "Iberian airlines offers a 50% discount for pilgrims on one way tickets out of Santiago." However, I'd thought I'd check on it since I've heard this book may not be the most reliable source, and the repeatedly called it "Iberian" airlines not "Iberia" airlines.

So Peter, you have heard of people using this discount?

Sarah

Answer found..

I just called Iberia's US offices, and was told that the discount is in fact true. You need a letter from the Archbishop of Santiago proving that you are a Pilgrim, which you then take to the Iberia offices at the Santiago airport. Iberia will then give you half off on airfare one-way from Santiago to anywhere in the world.

Since I am flying home to Cleveland, this means the world to me!

Sarah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: Answer found..

Lohman said:
I just called Iberia's US offices, and was told that the discount is in fact true. You need a letter from the Archbishop of Santiago proving that you are a Pilgrim, which you then take to the Iberia offices at the Santiago airport. Iberia will then give you half off on airfare one-way from Santiago to anywhere in the world.

Since I am flying home to Cleveland, this means the world to me!

Sarah
Wow... last year when I booked an Iberia ticket at the airport from Santiago de Compostella the discount was only for flights within Spain, not for anywhere in the world.

Also... I don't know if that is still the same, but there were just a number of tickets per flight that were on discount.
I would check that first, just in case :wink:

the 'letter from the archbishop' is the compostela

I would stress that this is a discount on the full single fare. I just tried a random date on Iberia's site Santiago-Cleveland and got a fare of €800 - even half that is a lot of money, especially added to whatever you pay to get to Europe in the first place. If money is your main criterion, ISTM you'd be better off getting a budget-price return from the US to, say, Madrid - or possibly London and use the budget airlines for London to and from Spain. Of course, booking a return does mean you have a deadline for your return.

Yes, I was more interested in having two one-way tickets. This is my first time walking, and I really had no idea how long it would take me.
After investigated youth air fares (I'm under 25), that plus the train tickets are working out to about the same cost as roud trip tickets from budget airlines, $600-$800.

The one-way tickets will probablly cost me more in the end, but with round trip tickets, if I missed my deadline, or came in too early and ended up spending a week or more on extra lodging and food it would have worked out to the same cost or more. Plus, its the luxury of not feeling rushed during the walk.

But, this is all guesswork for me:)

Sarah

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Leave it up to Iberia to make it difficult to obtain a discount on their flights from Santiago. You might as well get a letter from the pope also. By the time you get this letter, you won't be able to plan ahead and will just get a discount on full price fares! You should avoid Iberia, and try some of the other airlines instead. I recently lost two tickets on Iberia because of their inflexibility on their cancellation policies.

Check Condor out and see if you can get close to your destination, then take a train inside Spain or a bus inexpensive. Maybe this will help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.