• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iberia Airlines

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is news to me. I don't know if this is something new (I have been away for the last two weeks).

I know that there has been a sight pilgrims discount at some Santiago travel agencies, but from what I have heard this discount only applies to the more "expensive" tickets so it's not a good deal.

I know that Iberia has been cutting prices in general lately after the arrival of the low-cost airlines, but this is not related to a pilgrim discount.

For a list of airlines (and links) flying out of Santiago, please have a look here:
http://www.santiago-today.com/flights-t ... ostela.cfm

If anyone can add to this, please post your message here.

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

The discount is not new, as people from SE England used to use it on the flight to Heathrow. It's a discount on the normal full fare, so with the arrival of Ryanair I doubt whether it's much used any more.

According to industry gossip http://www.aerovia.com/noticias/noticia ... ticia=6025
Iberia is planning on starting a low-cost subsidiary next year - though whether they'll be any more successful than BA or KLM must be questionable ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Actually it has been rumored that Iberia is interested in buying Vueling Airlines.

When Vueling was confronted with this rumor this week, they denied any such plans.

Let's see what happens.

Ivar

I read it in "Walking the Camino de Santiago" be Bethan Davies and Ben Cole. It literally says "Iberian airlines offers a 50% discount for pilgrims on one way tickets out of Santiago." However, I'd thought I'd check on it since I've heard this book may not be the most reliable source, and the repeatedly called it "Iberian" airlines not "Iberia" airlines.

So Peter, you have heard of people using this discount?

Sarah

Answer found..

I just called Iberia's US offices, and was told that the discount is in fact true. You need a letter from the Archbishop of Santiago proving that you are a Pilgrim, which you then take to the Iberia offices at the Santiago airport. Iberia will then give you half off on airfare one-way from Santiago to anywhere in the world.

Since I am flying home to Cleveland, this means the world to me!

Sarah

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: Answer found..

Lohman said:
I just called Iberia's US offices, and was told that the discount is in fact true. You need a letter from the Archbishop of Santiago proving that you are a Pilgrim, which you then take to the Iberia offices at the Santiago airport. Iberia will then give you half off on airfare one-way from Santiago to anywhere in the world.

Since I am flying home to Cleveland, this means the world to me!

Sarah
Wow... last year when I booked an Iberia ticket at the airport from Santiago de Compostella the discount was only for flights within Spain, not for anywhere in the world.

Also... I don't know if that is still the same, but there were just a number of tickets per flight that were on discount.
I would check that first, just in case :wink:

the 'letter from the archbishop' is the compostela

I would stress that this is a discount on the full single fare. I just tried a random date on Iberia's site Santiago-Cleveland and got a fare of €800 - even half that is a lot of money, especially added to whatever you pay to get to Europe in the first place. If money is your main criterion, ISTM you'd be better off getting a budget-price return from the US to, say, Madrid - or possibly London and use the budget airlines for London to and from Spain. Of course, booking a return does mean you have a deadline for your return.

Yes, I was more interested in having two one-way tickets. This is my first time walking, and I really had no idea how long it would take me.
After investigated youth air fares (I'm under 25), that plus the train tickets are working out to about the same cost as roud trip tickets from budget airlines, $600-$800.

The one-way tickets will probablly cost me more in the end, but with round trip tickets, if I missed my deadline, or came in too early and ended up spending a week or more on extra lodging and food it would have worked out to the same cost or more. Plus, its the luxury of not feeling rushed during the walk.

But, this is all guesswork for me:)

Sarah

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Leave it up to Iberia to make it difficult to obtain a discount on their flights from Santiago. You might as well get a letter from the pope also. By the time you get this letter, you won't be able to plan ahead and will just get a discount on full price fares! You should avoid Iberia, and try some of the other airlines instead. I recently lost two tickets on Iberia because of their inflexibility on their cancellation policies.

Check Condor out and see if you can get close to your destination, then take a train inside Spain or a bus inexpensive. Maybe this will help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.