• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iberia flight cancelations

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I accidently posted the following on a 15 year old thread (I'm a duffus!).

I was due to fly Iberia Chicago to Madrid on April 19th, but of course knew I would have to cancel it upon a return home from vacation. I was informed yesterday that Iberia has canceled my RT flight. I'd hoped it would make getting a refund easier, but NOT so far. I've made phone calls that hang up after a few options you can take. A recorded voice tells you to go online to "make a change". I don't need a change! Also tried Expedia and same thing...they both ask you to wait 3 days out. I have AIG flight insurance. A human voice told me to fill out an online form and each case is "reviewed" and then decided upon. The person did verify that my policy does not have a clause denying coverage for disasters such as the virus so she "appeared" to be "hopeful" for me.
Anyone out there having better luck than me to get a refund, not a voucher?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I was due to fly Iberia Chicago to Madrid on April 19th, but ifcourse knew I would have to cancel it upon a return hime from vacation. I was informed yesterday that they have canceled my RT flight. I'd hoped it would make getting a refund easier, but NOT so far. I've made phone calls that hang up after a few options you can take. A recorded voice tells you to go online to "make a change". I don't need a change! Also tried Expedia and same thing...they both ask you to wait 3 days out. I have AIG flight insurance. A human voice told me to fill out an online form and each case is reviewed and decided upon. The person did verify that my policy does not have a clause denying coverage for disasters such as the virus so she "appeared" to be "hopeful" for me.
If you booked through Expedia I think that you need to deal with them.

If you booked through Expedia I think that you need to deal with them.
I did! Same run around and both they and Iberia are puppeting to wait 3 days prior to the flight...I just don't have much faith that anything much will come of it then, either.😐

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I was due to fly Iberia Chicago to Madrid on April 19th, but ifcourse knew I would have to cancel it upon a return hime from vacation. I was informed yesterday that they have canceled my RT flight. I'd hoped it would make getting a refund easier, but NOT so far. I've made phone calls that hang up after a few options you can take. A recorded voice tells you to go online to "make a change". I don't need a change! Also tried Expedia and same thing...they both ask you to wait 3 days out. I have AIG flight insurance. A human voice told me to fill out an online form and each case is reviewed and decided upon. The person did verify that my policy does not have a clause denying coverage for disasters such as the virus so she "appeared" to be "hopeful" for me.

If you’ve paid by CREDIT card, then your card issuer is party to the transaction and should refund if the vendor does not. Call them.

If it was a DEBIT card this does not apply.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I somewhat disagree re:Credit Card. You can file a dispute but then there are limitations to that and if @Camino Chrissy bought her tix, say, 3-4 months ago - the limitations to file such dispute claim ran out.
It is unfortunately not Credit Cards "fault"
There is an article floating out there on the Internet bout folks in the same boat.
Airline cancels the trip - they HAVE to refund the customers money, but.... the online sites only have option for "change", the automated bots have you on hold for 3 hours or disconnect and human support is non-existent
#rd party middle-vendor such as Expedia also do not help they tell you to go to Airline
Round and round and round we go
You probably will get your money but it will take a loooooong time 😢

I somewhat disagree re:Credit Card. You can file a dispute but then there are limitations to that and if @Camino Chrissy bought her tix, say, 3-4 months ago - the limitations to file such dispute claim ran out.
It is unfortunately not Credit Cards "fault"
There is an article floating out there on the Internet bout folks in the same boat.
Airline cancels the trip - they HAVE to refund the customers money, but.... the online sites only have option for "change", the automated bots have you on hold for 3 hours or disconnect and human support is non-existent
#rd party middle-vendor such as Expedia also do not help they tell you to go to Airline
Round and round and round we go
You probably will get your money but it will take a loooooong time 😢
Unfortunately, I think you your view is the most accurate at this time. 😐

Unfortunately, I think you your view is the most accurate at this time. 😐

I would also continue to focus efforts at contact only with Expedia. From experience hard learned, it wasn't the airline who sold you the ticket, it was Expedia. Expedia, as a vendor, is the airline's customer. . you are the customer of Expedia.

Expedia will work with Iberia for compensation (refund, future credits, etc). Expedia will then be passing on what they receive to their Expedia customers.

Hopefully, that may give you a singular place to focus your efforts for remediation. I am sure it will work out for you. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would also continue to focus efforts at contact only with Expedia. From experience hard learned, it wasn't the airline who sold you the ticket, it was Expedia. Expedia, as a vendor, is the airline's customer. . you are the customer of Expedia.

Expedia will work with Iberia for compensation (refund, future credits, etc). Expedia will then be passing on what they receive to their Expedia customers.

Hopefully, that may give you a singular place to focus your efforts for remediation. I am sure it will work out for you. :)
Thank you, Dave.

I am in the same boat for two different (non-camino) return flights. My non-refundable ticket is refundable under EU law on cancellations but the airline tells me I will receive a voucher at the end of April which is no use to me, I will contest that with them. The other is a fully flex, fully refundable ticket I cancelled because the above ticket was cancelled. That airline has issued me a 'receipt' whilst they 'calculate' my refund - a delaying tactic because no need for any calculation, the full amount is refundable. None of the airlines have ready cash in the amounts required now so they are delaying their obligations otherwise they will go bust very quickly.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It never ceases to amaze me how the airlines are one of the few industries that when they fail to deliver a product as promised are allowed to not give a refund. But, instead, only allow you to buy the same product (or perhaps a more expensive one because the one you got isn't available when you need it).

If it is in your contract with the airline and it gets you a cheaper fare then that's between you and the airline. With some, but not all, airlines you may have the opportunity to purchase a ticket, usually at a higher price, which allows for full or partial refunds under the contract. The EU refund regulations cover your rights with cancellations under certain conditions. Hotels will also often offer a 'pay now no refunds' (lower) price as well as a ' book now pay later' (more expensive) option. Your choice.

My advice is don't accept anything except a cash refund. A lot of airlines are about to go bust. Obviously, a credit held with an airline that is bankrupt is worthless.

There is additional protection if you purchased by card. Airlines, holiday companies and other travel companies go bust on a regular basis which is why you usually have layers of protection such as industry schemes, your own insurances and finally the card company. You just have to find out who will pay out - eventually.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If it is in your contract with the airline and it gets you a cheaper fare then that's between you and the airline. With some, but not all, airlines you may have the opportunity to purchase a ticket, usually at a higher price, which allows for full or partial refunds under the contract. The EU refund regulations cover your rights with cancellations under certain conditions. Hotels will also often offer a 'pay now no refunds' (lower) price as well as a ' book now pay later' (more expensive) option. Your choice.
Yep, traveled almost 3M miles on various airlines and I still standby my statement that the airlines are one of the few (maybe only) industry that can write a contract, not supply the product, and keep the money and be perfectly legal. I'm only thinking about the situation where the airline defaults. If you default on terms that apply to you, then that's the buyer's problem.

3 years ago I booked with an Australian webpage. I think it was called Kiwi. I will NEVER NEVER EVER NEVER use them or any other of these types of pages. I had a flight from Puerto Vallarta to Mexico City, Miami and then Lisbon. There was a hurricane in Miami and my flight was cancelled. I called Iberia and they told me that I had to contact the website I used to attempt to get a refund. The company said they would not give me any refund at all. I then called Iberia back and they ended up giving me about 50% of the value of my ticket from Miami to Lisbon. I had to rebook my entire flight at a much higher price than my original ticket. Kiwi couldn't have been more UNHELPFUL.

I did! Same run around and both they and Iberia are puppeting to wait 3 days prior to the flight...I just don't have much faith that anything much will come of it then, either.😐

I had similar experience with EXPEDIA for flight on TAP from Rome to LIS. (I was going to meet with family in Italy before embarking on Camino Portuguese). I went through American Airlines site to get Iberia flight from Madrid back to the USA, and they gave me opportunity to change flights with penalties, so I now have the same flight for October 30th.
I was needing to cancel my TAP flight, FCO - LIS purchased through EXPEDIA and originally scheduled for April 26th. An automated phone tree was saying the same thing that you are hearing. Two days ago, I was finally able to cancel my flight ONLINE without penalty and given a credit for future bookings with them. When I work out a new schedule, I would be able to click the "redeem" button for the flight of my chosing. I would have to pay any amount over and above what I have already paid. It took them a while to get their website up and going to do this, but if you try now, you should be able to handle your matter online.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yesterday my travel agent called to say that my Iberia flight (April 1) that was under American Airlines was cancelled and we were getting a full refund! Up until yesterday, they were only willing to change our tickets with no extra charge for any flight until December 31, 2020 -- NOT OK. But as of yesterday, full refund. Yay!

Today I got a better offer from Iberia for my May 11 flight (booked on the Iberia US web site). They really want me to accept a voucher for a future flight and are even offering an incentive (10% bonus) to do it within the next week. They have improved the terms quite a bit (including use through June 2021, which makes it possible to use it for a Camino next year).

10% additional. Only for you until 10th April.
No waiting. It is as easy as clicking on continue.
The voucher can be used one or more times, until its amount would be exhausted.
It can be used whenever you wish until 30th June, 2021.
Valid for direct or connecting flights in which at least one of the segments is operated by Iberia, Iberia Express or Air Nostrum.
For flying whenever you wish until 30th June, 2021.

I guess it is possible that if I wait until they cancel the flight, they will have to give me a full refund. But I appreciate that they are trying to work with me.​

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I booked directly with Iberia for flights in May and June. They have just given me a credit for flights to be used by June 30th 2021, plus an extra 10% of the oroginal value. As I had given up any thought of ever getting any value from my booking, I am chuffed.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.