• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iberia - only 45min between flights in Madrid

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hola!

I'm purchasing the tickets to return from Camino in July and as it seems at the moment the cheapest is Iberia from Santiago through Madrid to Venice. But I'm a bit worried because there is only 45 minutes gap between flights. Not really worried about myself getting on the second flight but would the checked-in baggage make it? Both flights are to/from T4 though.

Iberia has a lot of similar connections (from La Coruna, Vigo & SdC through Madrid) so I guess they know what they're doing, still...

Anyone has any experience with such cases on Iberia?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I tried to e-mail them but they only have e-address for some kind of Iberia card holders. Only telephone number available but don't want to spend possible gap between prices on that telephone call ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola!

I'm purchasing the tickets to return from Camino in July and as it seems at the moment the cheapest is Iberia from Santiago through Madrid to Venice. But I'm a bit worried because there is only 45 minutes gap between flights. Not really worried about myself getting on the second flight but would the checked-in baggage make it? Both flights are to/from T4 though.

Iberia has a lot of similar connections (from La Coruna, Vigo & SdC through Madrid) so I guess they know what they're doing, still...

Anyone has any experience with such cases on Iberia?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I tried to e-mail them but they only have e-address for some kind of Iberia card holders. Only telephone number available but don't want to spend possible gap between prices on that telephone call ;)

Hi K1,
If you are booking the entire through Iberia, and if you miss your connection (or if your luggage doesn't make it) it will be their problem not yours. They can't book it unless it's a "legal" connection, and I assume they have good data on what connection times are generally needed on particular routes. My luggage frequently doesn't arrive in my little town till a day or two after my return from a trip, and then it's the airline's obligation to transport it to my home. So, don't worry!

What day is that return flight, btw? Mine is July 7 from Santiago through Madrid. But it's EARLY in the morning (they seem to have discontinued that nice 9:15 flight I have taken for years).

45 minutes seems to be currently the mínimum connecting time between Iberia flights in T4. It used to be 55 minutes so they lowered it.

Will the checked-in luggage make the connection? In theory, it should make it. In practice, who knows! Lugagge is sometimes lost/delayed and you never know if it'll be yours... So I would suggest to hope the best and know beforehand your rights just in case there was some problem.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And the other thing is that I have found that they frequently hold planes a bit for connecting passengers. I remember when I walked the Levante, my flight into Madrid was late and I had a long trip to get to my Valencia gate. As I was moving as fast as I could towards the gate, the agents were calling to me -- ¿Eres Señora Reynolds? The door closed behind me. Closest connection ever!

Hi K1,
If you are booking the entire through Iberia, and if you miss your connection (or if your luggage doesn't make it) it will be their problem not yours.

I thought the same if they offer the connected flight. I guess I'll go for it because if it is connecting flight withing the same company they are responsible for delays that might happen. And also in this case they only charge you once for checked-in luggage (not so with RyanAir or similar) for two flights!!!

Thanks to all others for their much appreciated respond!

@peregrina2000 : I'm thinking of July 13th-15th time-frame for return. That will give me at least 5 additional days. I really hate walking in the rain as I sweat so much and I kind of feel there'll be a lot of rain this summer ;) Well, hopefully not... Anyway in case there are days left to be spend I can always walk to Muxia or even (not likely though) take Ingles.

There are lots of chances to meet in SdC this year I'd say :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back