• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iberia - walking sticks in cabin baggage possible?

Binka33

Time of past OR future Camino
2018: CP: Tui to Santiago
2016: CF: SJPDP to Muxia
2013: CF: SJPDP to Burgos
Hello,

I would like to ask if any of you has a recent experience when travelling with Iberia to Spain (within Europe) - if it is possible to take the walking sticks (folded) in the cabin as I dont have any checked baggage purchased.
If I shall risk it? :)

Many thanks for your comments!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It depends who is on security. LOTS of stories on this forum. You might be allowed through, you might not. I would never risk taking my expensive foldup Black Diamond poles in cabin baggage. I would leave them at home and pick up a cheap stick once I started walking.

It depends who is on security. LOTS of stories on this forum. You might be allowed through, you might not. I would never risk taking my expensive foldup Black Diamond poles in cabin baggage. I would leave them at home and pick up a cheap stick once I started walking.
My wife also has black diamond, hence my narrow view of advice above. I wonder how far the thread will run this time 😂

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As soon as you start your Camino, you will find abandoned sticks in most albergues/can buy cheap ones in many stores. Do not buy sticks at home: You will only delay the line in security control, and you will have it confiscated in customs anyway.

The same goes for Swiss/Other knives etc. Buy a cheap knife for bread/sausages etc. when in Spain, and give it to your last albergue before you leave for home. Problem solved.

Remember, you can buy almost anything in Spain, for a fraction of the cost in your own country: Spain is a VERY civilized, ancient country/culture. I guess only Ancient Rome, Greece, China, Egypt, and the Middle East (Jordan, Irac, etc.) and possibly Cambodia are in front of them, historically.

After all, they also "discovered" and "populated" America. Or at least, it was an Italian, of Norw. descent, according to some research, who did it: Christopher Columbus.

It never ceases to amaze me that many pilgrims do not understand that Spain is a highly civilized, ancient and proud country, with everything you need, at a fraction of the cost in your own country.

Last edited:
Hello,

I would like to ask if any of you has a recent experience when travelling with Iberia to Spain (within Europe) - if it is possible to take the walking sticks (folded) in the cabin as I dont have any checked baggage purchased.

Check them in or buy them on arrival. Innumerable previous threads generally arrived at that conclusion.

Of course, some people have managed to take their poles as cabin luggage; but they are very much the exception.

The airline doesn’t matter, the staff on the security station make the decision.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is actually very interesting to indulge in history: Here are some (hopefully) interesting aspects for you:

The Egyptian Empire

The Chinese Empire

The Greek Empire

The Roman Empire

The Jordan wonder

The Cambodian Empire

The links are in chronological time order (I hope). Life & advanced culture existed intelligently for milleniums in the rest of the World while the Western countries used wooden clubs banging at the heads of "enemies" in order to solve internal problems, and indigneous peolpe in America were stoneage people, while people on the South Americas were developed albeight ot a very bloody attitude.

Some things never change, do they?

Spain is truly a rich cultural country beyond your imagination.

Buen Camino in a fantastic land.!

Last edited:
I should also mention that (most) all the Empires I have mentioned, fell in a matter of a few years. It is surprisingly easy how empires fall down and break, in a short time. We must learn from history, or else we will repeat it. Reflection time...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last week, I bought a new walking stick, wooden. I plan on taking it with me to Spain next week, on the plane. I shall limp my way through security and look a little startled when my new knee sets off the alarm (the surgeon's nurse assures me that this will happen). I am a little better than 50% sure that I shall be allowed to take the stick onboard with me. Which is just as well, as the pain is not wholly finished with me yet and I have a lot of walking to do.

Last week, I bought a new walking stick, wooden. I plan on taking it with me to Spain next week, on the plane. I shall limp my way through security and look a little startled when my new knee sets off the alarm (the surgeon's nurse assures me that this will happen). I am a little better than 50% sure that I shall be allowed to take the stick onboard with me. Which is just as well, as the pain is not wholly finished with me yet and I have a lot of walking to do.
All the best to you next week, @Albertagirl, as you head out on your Camino! Let us know if you are allowed that wooden walking stick in the cabin; are you bringing a note from your doctor?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,

Oh my, here we go again!

Dear all,
thanks for your comments :D :D
See that it amused many of you :D

Of course Spain is a very civilized and beautiful country that is why we all come and return there.

Buen camino!

I really like my black diamond walking poles. Very light. They were expensive. The last time I walked the Camino, I bought some cheap walking poles. They were very heavy. I check my backpack. It got to Madrid ok.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,

Walking poles - even folding or telescopic ones - are not allowed as personal luggage but can go in the hold with checked baggage. I was worried about my backpack straps causing a problem on the conveyor belts so bought a bag from https://www.pro-tector.co.uk. That maybe overkill but it kept all the straps inside the bag for transit. I also bought a a pair of telescopic walking poles that went inside the backpack. I found the poles indispensable on my Camino because many paths are quite rough and rocky as well as being steep in places. I highly recommend taking some with you. Buen Camino!

Walking poles - even folding or telescopic ones - are not allowed as personal luggage but can go in the hold with checked baggage. I was worried about my backpack straps causing a problem on the conveyor belts so bought a bag from https://www.pro-tector.co.uk. That maybe overkill but it kept all the straps inside the bag for transit. I also bought a a pair of telescopic walking poles that went inside the backpack. I found the poles indispensable on my Camino because many paths are quite rough and rocky as well as being steep in places. I highly recommend taking some with you. Buen Camino!
Thanks for your comment!

I have always put my pack in the hold with my Pacer Poles folded down to fit. I would NEVER want to lose them. Any old pair would never do for me - been there, done that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As soon as you start your Camino, you will find abandoned sticks in most albergues/can buy cheap ones in many stores. Do not buy sticks at home: You will only delay the line in security control, and you will have it confiscated in customs anyway.

The same goes for Swiss/Other knives etc. Buy a cheap knife for bread/sausages etc. when in Spain, and give it to your last albergue before you leave for home. Problem solved.

Remember, you can buy almost anything in Spain, for a fraction of the cost in your own country: Spain is a VERY civilized, ancient country/culture. I guess only Ancient Rome, Greece, China, Egypt, and the Middle East (Jordan, Irac, etc.) and possibly Cambodia are in front of them, historically.

After all, they also "discovered" and "populated" America. Or at least, it was an Italian, of Norw. descent, according to some research, who did it: Christopher Columbus.

It never ceases to amaze me that many pilgrims do not understand that Spain is a highly civilized, ancient and proud country, with everything you need, at a fraction of the cost in your own country.
When I arrive in any city pre camino I do three things. Buy a sim card at either Orange or Vodafone, buy a cheap pocket knife to cut my cheese, bread, tomatoes, kiwis etc and buy some cheap walking poles. I can always get some pretty good ones that do me just fine for sometimes under 20 euros. At the end I leave them at an albergue.

I went through security with walking sticks twice in early July on my way to Spain. First time in Boise ID, and again the next day in Portland OR. I returned via Barcelona a couple of weeks ago with my sticks in the cabin also. The sticks were in an outside pocket and clearly visible. I also had a $10 kids backpack with me in case they weren't allowed and I needed to go back to the counter and check them. Just get there early enough that if you have to check them you can.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Except when they are!
And therein lies the problem! I’ve never seen any official guidance which would explicitly permit them, many examples of where they’re explicitly not permitted; but the ‘decision’ is down to the attention of the x-ray operator and the mood of the security staff; most working a long shift on minimum wage.

Would anyone care to stick their head above the parapet and recommend to the next enquirer (there’ll be one next week) that they pack their poles in carry-on?

The electricity consumed in discussing this on a (very) regular basis could well be contributing to climate change.

Hello,

There seems to be no consistent policy among airports about trekking poles. Airport security, not airlines, decides what gets into the airplane cabin. I have seen poles pass through security once, but It is the rare exception. You can always try to slip them through security at the almost certain risk of having them confiscated. Trekking poles are effective weapons; I have used them to fend off packs of aggressive dogs on the Via Francigena. I dismantle poles and put them in my checked backpack.

I went through security with walking sticks twice in early July on my way to Spain. First time in Boise ID, and again the next day in Portland OR. I returned via Barcelona a couple of weeks ago with my sticks in the cabin also. The sticks were in an outside pocket and clearly visible. I also had a $10 kids backpack with me in case they weren't allowed and I needed to go back to the counter and check them. Just get there early enough that if you have to check them you can.
Not everyone really thinks through what will pass security …

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I check my backpack in the hold, with everything that Airport Security may find offensive (swiss army knife, walking poles, etc.) To limit theft I have wrapped at the airport.
I carry a tiny little bag as cabin luggage with the stuff I cannot easily replace (CPAP machine and medical supplies).
Trying anything else will leave you at the mercy of check in staff and security.

The electricity consumed in discussing this on a (very) regular basis could well be contributing to climate change.
Don't forget the contribution from the "buy-a-new-set-of-poles-and-discard-them-every-year" crowd. :)

I check my backpack in the hold, with everything that Airport Security may find offensive (swiss army knife, walking poles, etc.) To limit theft I have wrapped at the airport.
I carry a tiny little bag as cabin luggage
I suggest that you do the reverse - check a tiny bag/package with the offensive stuff, and carry all the rest into the cabin. That is the lowest risk solution.

I have always been able to break down my walking sticks and put them inside my luggage I've never had a problem with carry on

I suggest that you do the reverse - check a tiny bag/package with the offensive stuff, and carry all the rest into the cabin. That is the lowest risk solution.
Agreed! I carefully choose what goes in my pack - not to mention the pack itself! I wouldn't want to have to purchase everything anew if my bag went missing!

I normally do some touristy traveling before/after my Camino, so I check a bag with my pre/post Camino clothes and also my poles. I then send the suitcase to Santiago.

The only time I didn't do this was on a short Camino trip. That time I checked in an old duffel bag with my poles in it, and then donated the duffel at my first albergue. On the way home I checked my pack with poles.

For a slight change of topic, try taking an umbrella into the cabin with you.

They ARE actually allowed as cabin baggage . . . look it up! . . . but getting it through security is hilarious.

I have brought FOUR back with me now. They cost 5 euros or so on the camino, so no big deal if they get taken off me. The last time involved three flights.

I got it on the first one, a long haul overnight flight, but I had a bit of a tussle in Angola when the head honcho wouldn't let me through to the connecting flight to Johannesburg.

However, he got sidetracked, and his sidekick motioned me to leg it through the door double-quick.

At Johannesburg, though, I was well and truly stopped.

Had to leave my trusty companion on a chair at the check-in desk.

On arrival at Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (there really is such a place), my final destination, a staff member approached me with a huge smile and my faithful umbrella :D.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Remember, you can buy almost anything in Spain, for a fraction of the cost in your own country.
To further beat a very sick horse...

I have it on good authority (you guys) that you can buy poles and really anything else you need along the popular routes. To give you an idea of prices, check out Decathlon, which has shops almost everywhere now. To a USian, these prices are crazy cheap. The small non-chain shops are probably a smidge more expensive.

To further beat a very sick horse...

I have it on good authority (you guys) that you can buy poles and really anything else you need along the popular routes. To give you an idea of prices, check out Decathlon, which has shops almost everywhere now. To a USian, these prices are crazy cheap. The small non-chain shops are probably a smidge more expensive.
Just FYI - you can enjoy those crazy cheap prices in the US now. Decathlon has had two stores in the San Francisco area for a few years now, and you can order their products online. They offer free shipping for purchases $35 and over.

Just FYI - you can enjoy those crazy cheap prices in the US now. Decathlon has had two stores in the San Francisco area for a few years now, and you can order their products online. They offer free shipping for purchases $35 and over.

I know - I see a field trip to SF at some point soon. For science, you know? :)

I discovered the other day that you can also order Decathlon products online... via Walmart. Will wonders never cease? (free shipping with no order minimum, too)

(I have no affiliation with Decathlon or Walmart, honest.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Agreed! I carefully choose what goes in my pack - not to mention the pack itself! I wouldn't want to have to purchase everything anew if my bag went missing!

I normally do some touristy traveling before/after my Camino, so I check a bag with my pre/post Camino clothes and also my poles. I then send the suitcase to Santiago.

The only time I didn't do this was on a short Camino trip. That time I checked in an old duffel bag with my poles in it, and then donated the duffel at my first albergue. On the way home I checked my pack with poles.
Clever, as always, Trecile!

Hello,

Iberia's website specifically says "no" - https://www.iberia.com/us/faqs/hand...idlbmaSrjgTalA8gR9SBithuryeoGULcLdrD3sR4-TF4E

"Blunt objects that can cause injury, such as selfie sticks, bats and mountaineering accessories like trekking and hiking poles, must also be checked in."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back