• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

IBS on the camino

mitch237uk

Time of past OR future Camino
August/September - Camino Frances (2014)
August 22 - Ferrol Camino Ingles (2017)
Hello one and all, a happy new year to you if you are reading this.

Well I have been thinking and planning for over a year now , and now its the year, kick off Sunday 24 August 2014 from SJJP. Ah now the problem, I have now been told I have (IBS) irritable bowel syndrome. If possible please can any one give me any advice as i'd be grateful, (mitch237uk@yahoo.com). I'm on 30mg of Lansoprazole daily. Cheers for any good advice as I don,t want this amongst other things to spoil the pilgrimage.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My advice is to tell your health professional about the camino you are planning and then incorporate into your plans any advice, support or adjustment to your therapy or lifestyle they recommend.
Buen Camino!

Just of curiosity, lansoprazole for IBS?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My advice might be to get off all grains - which stopped my IBS in its tracks.
Turns out it was the bromine - and I LOVE the grains in Spain.
I have no problem there at all.

Maybe it is a different medication you are also on for IBS; Lansoprazole treats something else. I suspect maybe you are taking it in conjunction with another medication? Regardless, IBS does create challenges for walking the Camino. I have Ulcerative Colitis, which is different but may have some similarities depending upon your specific symptoms.

For me it is a matter of diet and when I eat. Given the decades that I have lived with UC, it is easier for me to deal with it. However, it can still create problems if I am not careful.

You can still walk the Camino, but it is easier if you learn to listen to your body and know when to take a break and when it is okay to go for a long walk.

Buen Camino

I have suffered from IBS for more than 30 years. Though every person is different, I had no problems walking the Camino. Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. Avoid the foods you would avoid at home, and have a good time. I found the Spanish diet, the exercise, the reduced stress, and the longer hours of sleep beneficial—after a week or so, my symptoms were relieved. Of course, keep the toilet paper handy and don't fret about it. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you to all who took the time to give me input.

@Lynnnejohn, @Anniesantiago, @MichaelB, @K-fun

@ Anniethenurse the question mark made me think. It started with an operation on my lungs and since then I have had many tests and medications, so I could be on the wrong stuff. I am seeing my Doctor this week so maybe the mystery will be solved.

To all Buen Camino, and roll on August.

Been back to the doctors done more tests, and now after all this time been given new medication. I am now happy and confident and once again thank you all . Buen Camino John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My advice might be to get off all grains - which stopped my IBS in its tracks.
Turns out it was the bromine - and I LOVE the grains in Spain.
I have no problem there at all.

We too have no problem in Spain with bread etc.:) Years ago we worked out that it was the "flour improvers" used here in the U.K. that were causing the problems. Different things are added to bread and pastries to stop them "going green" and prolong shelf life. For us the chief culprits are the poly-phosphates. E450 and E451.
These are added ingredients in many grain / flour based products. Making our own bread and pastries with organic flour while at home avoids the problem. However eating out can be a nightmare :(. The removal / reduction of salt means that manufacturers are turning to the poly-posphates as preservatives.
Along with following your doctor's advice, it will not do any harm, and may be helpful, if you check all labels and avoid anything that contains "preservatives" or "flour improvers". And that can mean avoiding sauces, supermarket chickens, fast foods . . . . Not easy but good health is worth the effort.

Blessings on your planning
Tio Tel

I feel your pain and concern. I was incorrectly diagnosed with IBS years ago and treated with an antispasmodic, hyoscyamine. Turns out I was lactose intolerant but the antispasmodic worked 75% of the time. I will be avoiding dairy on the Camino and should be okay. Good luck with your doctor. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.