• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ibuprofen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes. A standard tablet is 600mg compared to 200mg in the USA.
I have a related question. I was taking naproxen for joint pain but have had to stop because of the terrible effects on my digestion. Vimovo, a medication available by prescription only, is a buffered form of naproxen which works okay for me but for some reason my doctor has ignored my request to prescribe it (although she gave my my initial samples). Does anyone know of a medication effective for joint pain without bad side effects on the digestion which might be available without prescription in Spain? I know that I am going to have joint pain. Thanks for any suggestions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes. A standard tablet is 600mg compared to 200mg in the USA.
I was going to warn of this as well.

Here in the US, a standard dose is generally 2 tablets, or 400 mg. Make the mistake of taking 2 tablets in Spain and you'd end up taking 1200 mg in one dose.

It pays to know the DOSAGES of drugs you normally take BEFORE you depart so you know how many pills to pop when you need them ... without over dosing!

I have a related question. I was taking naproxen for joint pain but have had to stop because of the terrible effects on my digestion. Vimovo, a medication available by prescription only, is a buffered form of naproxen which works okay for me but for some reason my doctor has ignored my request to prescribe it (although she gave my my initial samples). Does anyone know of a medication effective for joint pain without bad side effects on the digestion which might be available without prescription in Spain? I know that I am going to have joint pain. Thanks for any suggestions.
Can you buy VALTOREN in Alberta? I know it is available in Spain. It is a topical drug, in cream/ointment form, used for arthritis relief that reduces swelling. You can buy tubes of it and it has a REDUCED chance of upseting your stomach. It is NOT a Ben-Gay type ointment, this is a serious drug that actually works. It is classified as a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflamatory Drug. It is available WITHOUT a prescription in most of Europe (prescription required in the USA), I don't know about Canada.

It is best utilized on a daily basis. Start using it the first day of walking, don't stop using it until your walk is completed. It is NOT optimal to only use it sporatically, it takes a bit of time to begin working (it can take a few days) so you do not want to wait until you are in pain.

LINK => http://voltarengel.com/consumer/default.aspx

Last edited:
Can you buy VALTOREN in Alberta? I know it is available in Spain. It is a topical drug, in cream/ointment form, used for arthritis relief that reduces swelling. You can buy tubes of it and it has a REDUCED chance of upseting your stomach. It is NOT a Ben-Gay type ointment, this is a serious drug that actually works. It is classified as a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflamatory Drug. It is available WITHOUT a prescription in most of Europe (prescription required in the USA), I don't know about Canada.

It is best utilized on a daily basis. Start using it the first day of walking, don't stop using it until your walk is completed. It is NOT optimal to only use it sporatically, it takes a bit of time to begin working (it can take a few days) so you do not want to wait until you are in pain.

Volaten is actually diclofenac, and readily availbale in Canada in slow release and regular, tupically 75mg per pill. The cream version is also available, and advetised on TV as Emugel. Emugel is only 1%, inSpain it is stonger, 2% i think, but you can have your pharma ist make it for you at a stonger dosage here. Problem is that it takes days and days and days to work, so if your stomach has never been an issue with meds, I would go with pills.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Melelnsdad:
I have found a medication among my collection which is diclofenac 8% for topical application. I got it by prescription. It was manually mixed by the pharmacist, as the dosage may vary. I have used it occasionally, but not often. I looked up Voltaren and discovered that it is a gel form of diclofenac, also for topical application.

"Common Voltaren Gel side effects may include:
  • nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, heartburn, gas;
  • diarrhea, constipation; or
  • dizziness."
    I suspect that this is not for me. Thanks for trying. I shall have to go ahead with the treatment recommended by my physician (injections in my knees) and hope that it works this time, as it did not do so the last time. I am still wondering if a buffered form of naproxen is available in Spain, as that does work for me.

Does anyone know of a medication effective for joint pain without bad side effects on the digestion which might be available without prescription in Spain?

Ask about Celebex. Useless on me, but kind on stomach abpnd if still on the market must work for some. I was a Bextra user, but some idiots took 40 times the dosage and dies, so this great drug was pulled from the market. Celebrex is inthe same category.

Volaten is actually diclofenac...
And a Diclofenac is, by definition, a NSAID.
http://www.drugs.com/diclofenac.html

Diclofenac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). This medicine works by reducing substances in the body that cause pain and inflammation.

Diclofenac is used to treat mild to moderate pain, or signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. The Cataflam brand of this medicine is also used to treat menstrual cramps. . .

Melelnsdad:
I have found a medication among my collection which is diclofenac 8% for topical application. I got it by prescription. It was manually mixed by the pharmacist, as the dosage may vary. I have used it occasionally, but not often. I looked up Voltaren and discovered that it is a gel form of diclofenac, also for topical application.

"Common Voltaren Gel side effects may include:
  • nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, heartburn, gas;
  • diarrhea, constipation; or
  • dizziness."
    I suspect that this is not for me. Thanks for trying. I shall have to go ahead with the treatment recommended by my physician (injections in my knees) and hope that it works this time, as it did not do so the last time.
What my Rheumatologist told me was that many who do not tolerate pills well seem to do much better with the Valtoren. That is the reason I suggested it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Diclofenac is great, and counter efffects are typically Super outliers. Try it. Keep in mind that 8% is a lot atronger tha the US 1% OTC product.

Diclofenac is great, and counter efffects are typically Super outliers. Try it. Keep in mind that 8% is a lot atronger tha the US 1% OTC product.
As previously stated, the US requires a prescription. It is not available OTC here.

And a Diclofenac is, by definition, a NSAID.it.

Not by defintion. But ot is. So what?

It's the way you ngrst it that may help, but it not may work at all.

Noone is suggesting you take pred, but don't do thinking a drug's active ingredient is different if taken in pill or cream.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks to both of you. Anything would be better than my previous use of naproxen. My neighbours were asking about my health, so loud (and disgusting) were my belches. I suspect that I could hold my own in a dormitory full of snorers, but I would rather not.

As previously stated, the US requires a prescription. It is not available OTC here.
8% that is referes to here is in cream form, and YES, diclofenas is a available in cream for as Emugel, but in much, much, lower, and often useless concentration.

Not by defintion. . .
I'm confused because generic Diclofnacs, according to => http://www.drugs.com/diclofenac.html

Are defined as: "... a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). This medicine works by reducing substances in the body that cause pain and inflammation..."

In any case, hopefully Albertagirl finds something that works for her.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm confused because generic Diclofnacs, according to => http://www.drugs.com/diclofenac.html

Are defined as: "... a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). This medicine works by reducing substances in the body that cause pain and inflammation..."

In any case, hopefully Albertagirl finds something that works for her.
Voltaren is the marekting name, diclofenac is the generic name. Because diclofenac id now off patent it can be sold by anyone, under the molecule name, diclofenas. Onlythe original maker calls it voltaren.

Voltaren is the marekting name, diclofenac is the generic name. Because diclofenac id now off patent it can be sold by anyone, under the molecule name, diclofenas. Onlythe original maker calls it voltaren.
Yes I am aware of that.

What I am confused by is that I said that Valtoren was a NSAID.

You said it was Diclofenac.

Then I said that Diclofenac was, by definition, a NSAID.

You then said "Not by definition..."

So I am confused because either you are playing some semantics games or I am totally clueless about one of the classes of drugs that I have researched and that I take.

Here is the reality. Valtoren = Diclofenac, which is a NSAID.

Just like Aleve = Naproxen Sodium, which is a NSAID.

Just like Advil = Ibuprophen, which is a NSAID.

Yes I am aware of that.

You said it was Diclofenac.

So I am confused because either you are playing some semantics games or I am totally clueless about one of the classes of drugs that I have researched and that I take.

Yes, voltaren, aka diclofenac, is part of the large family of NSAID. but there are many NSAIDs, not just voltaren.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes I am aware of that.

You said it was not a NSAID. You said it was a Diclofenac.

@Melensdad:
Thank you for this information. I think that I shall try ibuprofen when I am in Spain if I need something for my arthritis, as I have been told that it is cheap and easily available. I shall start with small doses (1/4 pill) and take is as little as I can. Hopefully, it will be easier on my stomach, as I have taken other NSAIDs. Only naproxen seems to be very hard on my digestion. Thanks again.

@Melensdad:
Thank you for this information. I think that I shall try ibuprofen when I am in Spain if I need something for my arthritis, as I have been told that it is cheap and easily available. I shall start with small doses (1/4 pill) and take is as little as I can. Hopefully, it will be easier on my stomach, as I have taken other NSAIDs. Only naproxen seems to be very hard on my digestion. Thanks again.

You can also ask for Omeprazole over the counter to offset the effects of the NSAID'S. I too cannot tolerate Naproxen but found the Spanish version of Ibuprofen much easier to tolerate even at a higher dose. Bought Omeprazole too just in case. The Spanish pharmacists are really helpful and on the camino route they are used to exactly what we need. :)

I have a bottle of dexamethasone to use in altitude emergency.

Can i use this as an anti inflamatory.

I do know that prolonged use and then stopping is harmfull.

So this is a one to three day thing for joint sprains tendonitis etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
...The Spanish pharmacists are really helpful and on the camino route they are used to exactly what we need. :)

They certainly ARE helpful! Walking into Molinaseca early on a frosty Sunday morning last November I met another woman pilgrim who was worried since she had run out of funds. Upon arrival in town all appeared closed as we searched high and low for either an ATM or for someone to ask; nada. Luckily one pharmacy was open 7/7 and the multi lingual pharmacist directed us to the village ATM hidden on the elementary school facade. Her gentle kindness will be long remembered.

Last edited:
You can also ask for Omeprazole over the counter to offset the effects of the NSAID'S. I too cannot tolerate Naproxen but found the Spanish version of Ibuprofen much easier to tolerate even at a higher dose. Bought Omeprazole too just in case. The Spanish pharmacists are really helpful and on the camino route they are used to exactly what we need. :)

In Spain is very common to take Omeprazole with NSAID's since these irritate the stomach. However, I'd recommend antacids instead. Omeprazole reduces the production of hydrochloric acid which is necessary. This can make digestions harder and longer and reduce the absorption of several nutrients.

I would take Omeprazole just for a short period.

By the way, Omeprazole and NSAID's are supposed to be sold under medical prescription though, sadly, you can buy it over the counter at any pharmacy.

I have an amazing chiropractor helping me with hammer toe and he has commented more than once, that the absolute best remedy for joint pain is lots and lots of water. Apparently our system, when becoming a bit dehydrated will use the closest resource for water which are the joints. I know it may not directly affect pain, but perhaps keep it at bay. I was never a water drinker. I certainly am now.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for reminding me, modern humans are constantly dehydrated, coffee alcohol drugs stress.

Yesterday was hot i did 40km. Today i felt thirsty and listless after an hour. I was dehydrated. If your thirsty your dehydrated. In nepal the guides and porters are always reminding trekkers to drink when they are not thirsty. It makes a big difference to the muscles and joints and ones athletic performance over many days.

Thanks for reminding me, modern humans are constantly dehydrated, coffee alcohol drugs stress.

Yesterday was hot i did 40km. Today i felt thirsty and listless after an hour. I was dehydrated. If your thirsty your dehydrated. In nepal the guides and porters are always reminding trekkers to drink when they are not thirsty. It makes a big difference to the muscles and joints and ones athletic performance over many days.
Wow, 40k….good on you. I'm up to a comfortable 20k but will not push it further before my departure from Vancouver, but once on the Camino, I'm sure I could if I needed to, with the help of lots and lots of water. Nice to know you've experienced Nepal. I've spent time in our children's home there (nonsectarian Canadian charity).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Medicine question:

Is Ibuprofen available over-the-counter in Spain?

My husband & I bought diclofenaco 10 mg gel OTC. worked perfectly for us when needed. Can be got at any pharmacia. My tube is now 2 yrs old and I am loathe to throw it out. It expired January 2014. Here in USA its prescription only.

We carry Ibuleve - the gel form of ibuprofen - in case of injury. Easily obtainable in Spain. The farmacists are always helpful so may recommend something else which would suit you.

Medicine question:

Is Ibuprofen available over-the-counter in Spain?
In Spain you and the pharmacist can decide what dosage of ibuprofen (peracetamol) you would like. 200, 400, 600 up to 1g. OTC.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Spain you and the pharmacist can decide what dosage of ibuprofen (peracetamol) you would like. 200, 400, 600 up to 1g. OTC.
I supose that you dont say that Ibuprofene is the same that Paracetamol. In effect the pharmacist will ask you about the dosage you like, and even can explain you about alternative product and effects. I think is better take a pill and at the same time apply some gel as Voltadol (Voltaren). Omeprazol is better to avoid stomach problems but its not strictly necessary.

I hurt my foot on vdlp. My body didn't cope well with long term use of Ibuprofen for pain relief. After about 3 weeks started having upset stomach.... Pharmacist put me on Paracetamol (Tylenol in the us)1g tablets 3 times a day or as needed. I have been using it for 2 months without any side effects. AS an anti-inflammatory I was given 500mg aspirin also. I think this is much better than any nsaid pills.

They certainly ARE helpful! Walking into Molinaseca early on a frosty Sunday morning last November I met another woman pilgrim who was worried since she had run out of funds. Upon arrival in town all appeared closed as we searched high and low for either an ATM or for someone to ask; nada. Luckily one pharmacy was open 7/7 and the multi lingual pharmacist directed us to the village ATM hidden on the elementary school facade. Her gentle kindness will be long remembered.
Yes beautiful town and I know exactly where that ATM is, very well hidden. yes pharmacist in Spain are the best.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I believe paracetamol is acetaminophen (Tylenol), not ibuprofen. Acetaminophen is softer on the stomach but be cautious with dose due to effects on liver

In addition to drinking lots of water, I would suggest trying to eat a less inflammatory diet (cut down on sugar, alcohol, saturated fats, milk, white bread etc.) but this can be hard to do on Camino fare. I manage to stay fluid on one or two ibuprofen through the day and sleep well with a couple of asparin at night. I have never tried anything stronger.

I found using some "Salt"or similar tablets from a pharmacy on long walks on very hot days was beneficial, as we lose more than water when we sweat. I found this out the hard way. I came across this advice on another thread and acted on it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Europe motion, ibuprofen, comes in 600 mg tablets. One dose is 600 mg. You can take 1 every 6 house as needed for pain and no more. In the US motion comes in 200 mg tablet, caplets, and liquid. Recommended dosage is 400 mg every 4 hours as needed for pain, stronger strengths take a prescription from you doctor. Either way you can take 2400 mg a day.

For a topical anti-inflammatory, I like Valorin. Takes a prescription to get in US. In Spain you can get across the counter. For those of you who have hung on to medications purchased on your Caminos, check the expiration dates, if expired throw it away.

The farmacias carry the non-labeled ibuprofen gel that we cannot get in the US, not even with a prescription ( yes, I checked, I'm a nurse ) It works fabulously and it is labeled Ibuprofen Gel in blue lettering on a white tube. It's the first thing I purchase when arriving in Spain!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was just reading about clinical studies that showed that topical creams and gels are as effective as pills in relieving pain but carry fewer side effects. In particular they mention that the topical versions do not cause stomach issues. You can get ibuprofen gel in Spain. That’s what I used on the Camino.

I was just reading about clinical studies that showed that topical creams and gels are as effective as pills in relieving pain but carry fewer side effects. In particular they mention that the topical versions do not cause stomach issues. You can get ibuprofen gel in Spain. That’s what I used on the Camino.
I recently tried finding this topical version in the USA and was unable to locate it on the internet, yet I have purchased 200mg Ibuprofen on Amazon.... so a little confused.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
According to the label Vimnovo consists of naproxen and esomeprezole magnesium. The naproxen is 500mg and the esom..... is 20 mg. A bottle of 60 of them costs about $900.00. The esom.... is actually Nexium (read the lable). If the two are brought separately and taken at the same time the cost is less than Vimovo. I have no medical training so check out what i just wrote before trying it.

Thank you. Could I remind posters to this thread that my initial post was in July of 2015, a couple of months before my first camino? My situation has progressed and I have been using Vimovo on all of my caminos, as I have no signs of any medical problems associated with its use. My physician is agreeable to my using this medication and I try to keep usage of all prescription medications to a minimum. Currently, my biggest problem with the use of Vimovo is its cost. I limit its use to when I am on a long walk with a pack (in the mountains or on camino).

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back