• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ICE

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014.
ICE

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory. If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign. The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' (In Case Of Emergency). It would be a great idea if there was a internationally recognized name for this purpose in an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as 'ICE'. Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

PASS THIS AROUND AND SHARE WITH AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AS THIS CAN HELP IN AN EMERGENCY.

(reposted from my facebook page)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There will always reasons why it won't work, but for those of us who do not password protect their phones other than the SIM password it is a very good system IMO.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"It would be a great idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose in an emergency situation."

It would be an even better idea if there was an internationally recognized term for this purpose in an emergency situation!!

Since zero (0) sorts highest in an alphanumeric list
during past caminos the top entry in my smartphone telephone directory
is my husband's name and number prefaced by
0*en caso de emergencia--
marido--
prenoun surname
(33) 0000000000

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have something similar, but I use the letter A in front of immediate family numbers, ie A Jane, A Pat, A Home, etc. These are always on top of my contacts list.

Not sure if it is an Android thing or a Samsung thing, but I can now mark contacts as emergency contacts, and they are dialable on the emergency call option on my phone without requiring the phone to be unlocked. Very useful.

Similarly, I include a message to appear on the lock screen that indicates my allergies. I also include a message to call a priest if I am at serious risk of death.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This seems a good idea. I assume you are going to walk in Spain -so it would be better to register your ICE rather as mspath has suggested, or as "Familiares" (relatives) o "Casademis (padres/hermanos / esposo-a) (that is parents/brothers/ husband-wife).
" Emergencias" will be probably considered as medical information, or your assurance company.
I usually carry a little note in my passport -that may be the first place where a hurried paramedic or nurse will look for personal info.

Not sure if it is an Android thing or a Samsung thing, but I can now mark contacts as emergency contacts, and they are dialable on the emergency call option on my phone without requiring the phone to be unlocked. Very useful.

Similarly, I include a message to appear on the lock screen that indicates my allergies. I also include a message to call a priest if I am at serious risk of death.
Thanks koilife, found this and have added an ICE message.

Of course you know what this means, but would someone else in case of an emergency ?
I translated ICE contacts to Spanish for my last trip with parenthetical relationship (esposa, casa, etc.), as in "Monica (mi esposa)".

Edit --- Found the text I used for the warning: La alergia a la picadura de abeja. En caso de peligro de muerte, traer un sacerdote católico. (Allergy to bee stings. If I am dying, bring a Catholic priest.)
This seems a good idea. I assume you are going to walk in Spain -so it would be better to register your ICE rather as mspath has suggested, or as "Familiares" (relatives) o "Casademis (padres/hermanos / esposo-a) (that is parents/brothers/ husband-wife).
" Emergencias" will be probably considered as medical information, or your assurance company.
I usually carry a little note in my passport -that may be the first place where a hurried paramedic or nurse will look for personal info.
I also had the same information (and more) in with my passport in both English and Spanish.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I translated it to Spanish for my last trip with parenthetical relationship (esposa, casa, etc.).
Edit --- Found the text I used for the warning: La alergia a la picadura de abeja. En caso de peligro de muerte, traer un sacerdote católico. (Allergy to bee stings. If I am dying, bring a Catholic priest.) .

Better: "Alergia a la picadura de abeja" (withouth "La")
Or "Alérgica..." (that would more strongly imply that you have an allergy case)

Ahh, the risks and foibles of Google Translate. Thanks for the tip. I'll use Alérgica next time; although, I figure that, if I'm having an anaphylactic response, 'picadura de abeja' will suffice to convey the problem at hand.:eek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I carried one of these on my last Camino with all my medical history and meds on it and when I ended up in hospital in Bayonne the doctors told me that the information was invaluable. Its the size of a standard credit card with a build in 4GB USB memory stick.
Where did you get that? It appears to be a slick idea (assuming it's lightweight). An alternative, I suppose, is ANY USB drive inside a tiny plastic bag with a label inside saying, "información médica".

I don't carry my phone when I travel at all. What I do do though is laminate a small card and attach it to my back pack in a visible spot that has all contacts and my blood type and medication I'm on and my allergies. That way in case of an emergency it's there for them. Also when I'm in remote places hiking by myself I also carry and Epirb.

Call me old-fashioned...I plan to carry a "personal medical information" form. (Attempting to find it in Spanish.)
upload_2014-6-10_16-0-47.png

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For a reasonably small amount of info you can save it as the background image of the phone. Not sure about Androids but Apple products show the background image and time even when locked. Anybody with the phone would be able to see the info.

Koilife, If you Google ICE card you will find them but they cost about €40.00, I got several from aliexpress.com for about €7.00 each. I sent them the image and text required.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for all the great suggestions! I love the idea of that USB device that has all the medical info on it; however, when you need access to info on the spot (as opposed to at a hospital where it can be easily plugged in), isn't it more useful to have info that's immediately accessible & visible? Perhaps one suggestion - for the Camino anyway - is that the credencials be edited, so that all pilgrims' info appears in the same place, at least with the most critical details...?

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back