• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Icebreaker Merino Shirts - Now a Blend - Alternatives?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I have been a fan of Icebreaker Merino shirts for years.
I wear the long sleeve half zip style a lot!
Not just on Camino, but I use the heavier weights as casual shirts in the winter.

But for a few years now, the fabric have been changing.
I think the business was taken over a little while back?

I tend to use the really light 'featherweight' for Camino.
100% merino.

These have not been available for a while now, as the lighter weights are now a blend of Marion, Tencel and Nylon.
The 100% Merino is only available, as a long sleeve, half zip, in the heavier weights.
Perhaps the lighter weights in 100% Marino were not robust enough?

To make sure I had enough shirts for future Caminos, I have been stocking up in the sake over the last few years.
Not easy, as I was quite a bit overweight, so was picking up a range of sizes, not really knowing what weight I might be 'on the day'.

As I'm refining my gear list and checking things through I was sorting out all the shorts today.
Heavyweights to one side.........light weights to another.
And to my horror!

The only lightweight shirt that is 100% Merino is an XXL and way too large for me now.
All the others, XL and L, are 'Cool Lite' fabrics, which are only 51-51% Marino.
And they feel like it sadly :( Very sweaty in hot weather and they don't 'wick' as well as 100% Merino, if at all.

The only available long sleeve half zip, is 200 weight (too hot for a Camino) and in one color, black. :(

Well done Icebreaker. 'Product Improvement' at it's best. I suspect the changes were to reduce cost.

So.

Can anyone recommend a company that makes 100% Merino, very lightweight, long sleeve, half zip shirts?
Because Icebreaker, the market leader, no longer does! :mad:

100871431_1.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is 80 % Merino and 20 % Polyamide also ok for you? Then I can highly recommend you Swedish Woolpower.
I changed Icebreaker years ago for this brand.

And Smartwool of course, although I only have socks from this brand.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is 80 % Merino and 20 % Polyamide also ok for you? Then I can highly recommend you Swedish Woolpower.

Yes, I just found Smartwool. 87% Merino. Better than 51% ! :)
https://www.rei.com/product/124719/smartwool-merino-150-quarter-zip-top-mens
Not quite a 120 or 130 weight, but getting closer at 150.

Just had a look at woolpower. they look good. though I'm not good with crewe necks for some reason.
Just don't like the feeling of the fabric on hr front of my neck. Hench the half zips.
I see the half zips with Woolpower are 200 weight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are you watching my house ! :eek:

I have 3 old (XXL) shirts in the washing machine now at a very high temperature wash :)

I reckon a session in the dryer after that might help......
If that doesn’t work I can ask Mrs Henry the Dog to wash them and treat them with care. Guaranteed to come back two sizes smaller in a fetching shade of pink as a non-colourfast red item will be included in the boil-wash at no extra charge.

It’s a good job I’m comfortable with my sexuality (I also have a long memory) as I’ve been travelling in various pastel shades for years.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just had a look at woolpower. they look good. though I'm not good with crewe necks for some reason.
Just don't like the feeling of the fabric on hr front of my neck. Hench the half zips.
I see the half zips with Woolpower are 200 weight.
Not a big fan of crew neck either but this one is comfortable and not too " clingy ".

Up until the dreaded B word I got all my merino T's and boxers from EDZ's in the UK. The import duty will push them out of my range now.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know you didn't ask, but I like the blends, and much prefer them especially for the lighter weights. Have you tried them?

I have some Icebreaker blends. The 'cool lite' fabrics. 51% merino.
They don't breathe or wick very well and end up soaked in sweat :(

Which ones have you tried and liked?
Happy to try a blend as long as they breathe and wick well

For light-weight, pure merino (it's only in one of their lines, so make sure which one you are getting) I have switched to Arc'teryx. It's pretty costly so I check thelasthunt.com for deals. Not sure if you have something similar -- a sporting goods discounter online.... but if you do: I've been super happy with this alternative (and yeah: super miffed about the Icebreaker decline in quality!).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you have someone in your life that sews you can buy merino fabric from a couple of places in New Zealand. Even with shipping costs to the US it is reasonable priced for me. Shipping to Australia should be even less.

I have noticed both of these site carrying more blends lately.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have someone in your life that sews you can buy merino fabric from a couple of places in New Zealand. Even with shipping costs to the US it is reasonable priced for me. Shipping to Australia should be even less.

I have noticed both of these site carrying more blends lately.

Could be a business opportunity hear @trecile

'Real' Merino shirts :)

I also saw this one on the US Decathlon site, but couldn't find it on the Australian site. It's 98% wool.

Certainly worth looking at, though quite heavy.
More than happy to pay the International postage for the right product.
I might try one.

This might explain the product changes

"Icebreaker ..... has been acquired by VF Corporation, which owns The North Face, Timberland and Vans brands. No price has been disclosed. Icebreaker founder Jeremy Moon said the deal was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to expand into new markets.3 Nov 2017"

Thanks Jeremy.

I have now changed to Decathlon for my merino tops and vouch for their price/quality.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Boil wash it, it will shrink to fit. 😁

Boiling or hot washing will ruin a wool garment.

I have had oversized cycling jerseys downsized by a storefront seamstress. She made sounds to the effect that what I requested of her was an extremely easy job, and the result was fine.

Based on that, I believe that almost any reasonably competent tailor or seamster/ess can make a knit shirt-like garment smaller, especially if it does not feature difficult-to-alter cuffs and collar. I suggest you take the garment in question together with a properly-sized garment to your local competent seamster/ess and ask him/her if size reduction to match the properly-sized one can be accomplished, what will the resulting seam(s) look like, and what it will cost.

Be sure to tag the properly-sized garment "Do Not Alter" and tag your name and address on both garments.

Edit: In Post #47 below, Trecile correctly points out that the shoulder areas of garments require greater skill to alter.

Last edited:
Further to Icebreaker fabric debate I've been reviewing my 'stock'.
THese are all long sleeve, half zip, lightweight shirts. 120-130g fabrics.

My oldest shirts, marked Merino, from about 2015, are the best without a doubt. But only 1 lightweight shirt remains. Now downsized with a hot wash and tumble dry.
(The markings on these are printed directly onto the fabric inside the neck at the back, not on a label).

The next batch bought, maybe around 2017, feel very different. but they are also marked Merino.
But they are quite obviously a blend, though maybe not as 'blended' as current shirts.
At a guess, I would say maybe 65-70% merino, going by the feel of them.
(Here they have switched to a printer label inside the neck at the back, but still marked merino)

The latest shirts, bought during 2018-21 are marked Cool Lite. not merino.
These have quite a blended / synthetic feel to them and are 51-52% Merino.
I don't think I would wear these on Camino, as they don't breathe or wick anything like the older models.
(Here they still use the printed label inside the neck at the back, but now clearly marked Cool Lite)

Hopefully amongst my stock, I can find 2 shirts worth taking on my next Camino.

But I think I'll trial a couple of other brands in the meantime.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For light-weight, pure merino (it's only in one of their lines, so make sure which one you are getting) I have switched to Arc'teryx. It's pretty costly so I check thelasthunt.com for deals. Not sure if you have something similar -- a sporting goods discounter online.... but if you do: I've been super happy with this alternative (and yeah: super miffed about the Icebreaker decline in quality!).
Checked their site. they have some good stuff. But didn't see any long sleeve, half zip, lightweight merino.
Only this one which is not merino.

Checked their site. they have some good stuff. But didn't see any long sleeve, half zip, lightweight merino.
Only this one which is not merino.
That's unfortunate. If I see any in pure merino (they have only one style in the pure) I will let you know!

They don't breathe or wick very well and end up soaked in sweat
I have no idea of whether the shirts are breathing or wicking or what. The only thing that matters if whether they "feel good" on your skin when you are wearing them, and that is a highly personal evaluation. On a very hot day, my base layer will get wet, but it dries quickly and I am happy with my shirt.
I have some Icebreaker shirts - very light (150?) that I believe are about 85% wool. (I can't be sure because I cut the labels out, but I'm quite sure they were more than 50%.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have no idea of whether the shirts are breathing or wicking or what. The only thing that matters if whether they "feel good" on your skin when you are wearing them, and that is a highly personal evaluation. On a very hot day, my base layer will get wet, but it dries quickly and I am happy with my shirt.

I have some Icebreaker shirts - very light (150?) that I believe are about 85% wool. (I can't be sure because I cut the labels out, but I'm quite sure they were more than 50%.)

They might be a few years old?
or a different design? crewe neck, short sleeve?

They might be a few years old?
or a different design? crewe neck, short sleeve?
This is my 83% wool base layer (to be worn under a button-up sun shirt). Sure, it gets sweaty in hot weather, and I wash it daily on the camino.

Here's a men's long sleeve one of similar blend.

I notice on icebreaker.com that there are still 100% merino shirts, and that the Cool-Lite is 65% wool.

This is my 83% wool base layer (to be worn under a button-up sun shirt). Sure, it gets sweaty in hot weather, and I wash it daily on the camino.

Here's a men's long sleeve one of similar blend.

I notice on icebreaker.com that there are still 100% merino shirts, and that the Cool-Lite is 65% wool.

Yes, that mens shirt is 85% merino but a crewe neck and no zip.
It must depend heavily on the garment and design, as my cool lite shirts are 52% merino.
And this design in a high % merino now only comes in 1 colour and a heavier weight. lightest now is 200g.

My issue is, they no longer make a lightweight (now called featherweight) long sleeve, half zip, 100% full merino shirt. And they used to :(

The lightweight and half zip are an important element to me in regulating body temperature.
The high % merino is important to me in terms of comfort and wicking properties.
The long sleeves are important to me for sun protection.

If I want to stick with Icebreaker with 100% merino, , I have to change to heavier fabric, or crewe neck, or short sleeve, .......

And as you suggest, a crewe neck and no zip, and at least get down to a 150 weight.

So I either use my old shirts, that I am trying to shrink, or buy another brand.

I think moving to another brand makes sense, rather than compromising. :(

Don't you love it when brands update and improve the range? :mad:

Same with my hiking pants, (Mountain Designs) they now only make that design in a fabric that is over 100 gms heavier..... :rolleyes:

I guess at the end of the day it's a commercial decision.

1. Making the product from cheaper materials.
  2. Discontinuing the less popular items......
  3. And a consistent drive to 'innovate'

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Aldi and therefore possibly Lidl sold a merino jumper for half nothing a couple of years ago. I put it in the wash when I find it in the washing basket. It comes out without damage, at 40 degrees. I will get one for myself if ever I see them again and if the shops ever open again...I was feeling very envious of Australian and New Zealand people - I would have thought you could access proper woollen garments so easily.
Oh for the olden days... 😁 (wait for the onslaught!!!)

€83,-
Not just on Camino, but I use the heavier weights as casual shirts in the winter.

100% merino.

These have not been available for a while now, as the lighter weights are now a blend of Marion, Tencel and Nylon.
The 100% Merino is only available, as a long sleeve, half zip, in the heavier weights.

To make sure I had enough shirts for future Caminos, I have been stocking up in the sake over the last few years.
Not easy, as I was quite a bit overweight, so was picking up a range of sizes, not really knowing what weight I might be 'on the day'.

As I'm refining my gear list and checking things through I was sorting out all the shorts today.
And to my horror!

The only lightweight shirt that is 100% Merino is an XXL and way too large for me now.
All the others, XL and L, are 'Cool Lite' fabrics, which are only 51-51% Marino.
And they feel like it sadly :( Very sweaty in hot weather and they don't 'wick' as well as 100% Merino, if at all.

The only available long sleeve half zip, is 200 weight (too hot for a Camino) and in one color, black. :(

Well done Icebreaker. 'Product Improvement' at it's best. I suspect the changes were to reduce cost.

So.

Can anyone recommend a company that makes 100% Merino, very lightweight, long sleeve, half zip shirts?

View attachment 94023
Hello, have you tried Alpkit,
or Kathmandu, https://www.kathmandu.co.uk/. I’ve bought pure merino from both of these in the past - assume they have men’s shirts as well as women’s!

Hello, have you tried Alpkit,
or Kathmandu, https://www.kathmandu.co.uk/. I’ve bought pure merino from both of these in the past - assume they have men’s shirts as well as women’s!
They both look like they might have what I need. Many thanks.

A couple of years ago I bought a lightweight merino tee from REI that was their brand so I checked their website. Most were other brands and the weights seemed to bottom out at 150. Anyway, here are a few to look at. For ones without zips you could possibly slit them and sew in one from an old shirt. I did not check size availability.

A thought: Maybe check out a heavier weight silk shirt. I've bought some cheap. I haven't worn any hiking though.

I was very disappointed to learn of this. My wife and I are devoted fans of Icebreaker apparel. Over the years, we bought many short and long sleeve shirts, fleece jacket, and lots of pairs of socks. They are just perfect for the camino. In fact, I "save" my shirts and fleece jacket for the camino, by not wearing it between caminos. I just went up into my closet and found that the older the item is, the higher the merino wool content. My fleece jacket and a few of the shirts I wore the first camino in 2015 are 100% merino. A few of the others that are newer are 85 to 87% merino. The good news is that these are in good shape so I'll plan to bring these with me this fall. Bob

I’m in the UK - Alpkit is based here in the UK while Kathmandu is an NZ company but has online outlets in many countries. I’ve worn merino from both these companies as well as old Icebreaker tops on Caminos in France and Spain. Good luck!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think that @Robo's biggest problem will be to find a lightweight 1/2 zip long sleeve shirt, as most shirts in that style are meant to be used for warmth, and are thus heavier weight.
If you can find a good sewist they can make you exactly what you are looking for. I'd do it for you, but I'm a little far away!

€83,-

100% merino.

And to my horror!

So.

View attachment 94023
I live in NZ, the home of Icebreaker and love it dearly, but I stopped buying the pure merino because it kept developing holes at the wear points. I complained to them about it and they said to buy the blend which they developed after so many complaints. It is just as nice to wear and does not develop holes. I would say give it a go.
I was not on my own. On my first Camino a man in the next cubicle at Roncavalles was growling because his had developed holes under his pack buckle just as mine had.

Based on that, I believe that almost any reasonably competent tailor or seamster/ess can make a knit shirt-like garment smaller, especially if it does not feature difficult-to-alter cuffs and collar.
Actually, I think that the most work would probably be altering to fit the shoulders. For this the sleeves would have to be completely removed and altered, and the body of the shirt would have to be cut to fit the shoulders, then sleeves reattached.

@Robo's biggest problem will be to find a lightweight 1/2 zip long sleeve shirt, as most shirts in that style are meant to be used for warmth, and are thus heavier weight.
Although inserting a zipper would not be difficult, the delicate fabric would be subject to more stress, and might not stand up to the zipping and unzipping action. - maybe that's why they stopped making that style in the very light weight.

I live in NZ, the home of Icebreaker and love it dearly, but I stopped buying the pure merino because it kept developing holes at the wear points. I complained to them about it and they said to buy the blend which they developed after so many complaints. It is just as nice to wear and does not develop holes. I would say give it a go.
I was not on my own. On my first Camino a man in the next cubicle at Roncavalles was growling because his had developed holes under his pack buckle just as mine had.

Yes I kind of get that. I had one develop holes.
But 52% merino is just too synthetic for me. And they feel it sadly :(

Yes I kind of get that. I had one develop holes.
But 52% merino is just too synthetic for me. And they feel it sadly :(
Try untouchedworld.com. Beautiful stuff but expensive.
Yes, you are right about Icebreaker - they sold out and now the fabrics have been dumbed down. Recent colour ranges have been second rate as well - dreary.
As to the recommendation to wash your overlarge stuff in hot water to shrink it, it didn't work on my Icebreaker teeshirts (100 per cent merino) when I inadvertently washed them in hot washes and dried them in hot dryers.

€60,-

100% merino.

And to my horror!

So.

View attachment 94023
I don't know a company, but I have been finding a lot of 100% at op shops. Keep an eye out at your local op-shop and you will always find discarded merino tops.

They don't breathe or wick very well and end up soaked in sweat :(

Happy to try a blend as long as they breathe and wick well
There’s a company called Woolx that sells 100% merino wool wear, I recently bought a woman’s v-neck short sleeve T and found it softer than Icebreaker stuff. Sounds like they are a small start-up so far, but I am impressed so far!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Icebreaker still carries 100% wool on the site. Is this the style you are looking for? https://www.icebreaker.com/en-ca/me...hermal-top/104484.html?dwvar_104484_color=427

Interesting.
Yes, that's certainly the style, though a 175 fabric weight is getting a bit on the warm side..... I generally wear 130 weight. I might try one though.

But what is weird, is when I look at the website from scratch............
and search for 100% merino, long sleeve etc, this one doesn't appear.
Only the 260 and 320 weights. Which is why I discounted them as options, being too heavy/warm.

Yes, I just found Smartwool. 87% Merino. Better than 51% ! :)
https://www.rei.com/product/124719/smartwool-merino-150-quarter-zip-top-mens
Not quite a 120 or 130 weight, but getting closer at 150.
I wore Smartwool 150 short sleeve and long sleeve on a Sept/Oct Frances. And I've worn them for two more years. I don't throw them in the dryer, but they seem to be indestructible. Although I don't buy the zip styles, I can attest to the quality (and quick drying quality) of the fabric.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

100% merino.

And to my horror!

So.

View attachment 94023

If you live in North America, you might keep an eye on Costco in the early fall, they usually sell a long sleeved Merino wool shirt in various sizes and colour for anywhere from 20 to 30 dollars. I have been buying them for years, and they are excellent. Made of New Zealand wool, they stand up well, and I wear then all winter. At a fraction of the cost of icebreaker or smart wool, they are a bargain.

100% merino.

And to my horror!

So.

View attachment 94023
Woolly Clothing Company (Seattle) - their tips (long & short crew, v-, and henley shirts are still 100% merino. Some of their other clothing items may have a blend. Check ‘details’ fir any product. Shirts are 2 or 3 weights, ultralight, everyday, heavyweight. Sometimes stocks are low (after sales) but always renew in a couple months.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've been using ISOBAA 100% merino tops for a while now. You can buy in a range of weights from 150 gm upwards in long or short sleeve etc. They appear to wear well and great for walking. I buy from a company called SPORTPURSUIT and from their website they deliver to lots of countries.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

100% merino.

And to my horror!

So.

View attachment 94023

100% merino.

And to my horror!

So.

View attachment 94023
There are some companies in New Zealand that make pure wool clothing and pure silk or silk blends.

https://www.glowingsky.co.nz/collections/mens-tops-tees/products/merino-long-sleeve-tee-1
The information says 100% merino. I’m not sure of the weight.

Both of these next companies have pure silk, pure merino, bamboo and various blends. Silk is expensive. I’ve got the silk thermals from Nznature and they are brilliant. I find merino just too warm except when it’s really cold. I live in Dunedin. Silk body is more a fashion brand, but they have a t-shirt and long sleeved hoodie that could be durable enough for on the track.

I've been using Janus merino wool tops for sailing and walking for 15 years now. Very hardwearing. The long sleeved tops with zipper fastening at the neck are excellent. They're Norwegian. I'm luck to have a Norwegian shop nearby in Keswick which carries them. Not cheap, but the first one bought all those years ago is only now starting to hole out.

100% merino.

And to my horror!

So.

View attachment 94023

G,day Robbo,

For some years now the Aldi winter sales here have included a range of pure Merino wool ware including long and short sleeved T-shirts and pullovers. Some of their motorbike stuff sales have also had lightweight jumpers and pullovers. I've bought quite a bit of this stuff and have found it of excellent quality, durable, doesn't shrink when you chuck it in the wash, and relatively cheap. Made in China and I suspect some people have unconscious xenophobia when viewing Chinese stuff which is a pity. More broadly, the quality of things generally from anywhere in the world is of a varying standard ( some of the very worst automotive tools I have are German and British, and they were expensive, and some of the very best from India and they were cheap, but I've had good and dreadful stuff from both Europe and Asia) but this stuff was good.

De colores

Bogong

@Robo there are Australian made pure merino products instead of Icebreaker (boy was that a bit of marketing genius - considering Australia produces more than half of the world's merino wool, far more than NZ!).

Here are some places to look. http://merinogold.com.au, https://www.merinocountry.com/collections/shirts-and-singlets, https://www.smittenmerino.com/collections/mens-merino-wool-tops
https://merinoandco.com.au/menswear/merino-knitwear
https://www.woolerina.com.au/collections/mens-tops

Much the cheapest (not necessarily woollen, they do all kinds of stuff), particularly woollen socks - this family run business is the best value ever! A clunky website, I simply ring them and order over the phone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Macpac have 180 gsm 95%merino 5% elastane ,quarter zip -black only

€149,-
Sorry to rehash this older topic, @Robo, but I made a similar post a week or so back. If you want to get back to the fully lightweight merino, the 150wt Woolly brand & 170wt Woolx are exactly what you are remembering before all the blends came into vogue. They are on amazon. I'm not sure if I'm permitted to link them but drop these in the search:

Woolly Clothing Men's Merino Wool Crew Neck Tee Shirt - Ultralight​

Sorry to rehash this older topic, @Robo, but I made a similar post a week or so back. If you want to get back to the fully lightweight merino, the 150wt Woolly brand & 170wt Woolx are exactly what you are remembering before all the blends came into vogue. They are on amazon. I'm not sure if I'm permitted to link them but drop these in the search:

Woolly Clothing Men's Merino Wool Crew Neck Tee Shirt - Ultralight​

I think that Robo's problem in finding lightweight merino shirts is that he wants a partial zip front shirt - a style which typically is only made in heavier weights.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use the Icebreaker Cool Lite blend (merino and tencel), 1/4 zip, on my Caminos.

I see that Icebreaker now offers merino wool / linen blends. I could go on and on about why, if you decide you want one nice shirt in your load, it should be linen.

Robo, I'm not sure if these are the type of merino shirts you are after, but they could be worth a look. From MJ Bale. The product description says lightweight and they have a half zip.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just in the "keeping track of multinational corporations and degrade quality"

Smartwool and Icebreaker are both owns by VANS (like the shoes)... who bought them out along with many other brand names. Timberlands. Altras.... There's at least a dozen brands that they own now and I forget all of them. One could google...
But yes, Icebreaker tumbled badly, and Smartwool is no longer a viable alternate. I'd hazard a guess that they are made in the same factories. And there is no longer a tracking number on your IB product to go directly back to the farm and the sheep and the sheering season from which your article of clothing was made.

Alas.

Just in the "keeping track of multinational corporations and degrade quality"

Smartwool and Icebreaker are both owns by VANS (like the shoes)... who bought them out along with many other brand names. Timberlands. Altras.... There's at least a dozen brands that they own now and I forget all of them. One could google...
But yes, Icebreaker tumbled badly, and Smartwool is no longer a viable alternate. I'd hazard a guess that they are made in the same factories. And there is no longer a tracking number on your IB product to go directly back to the farm and the sheep and the sheering season from which your article of clothing was made.

Alas.

Exactly the reason why I changed to Woolpower.

Hi Robo,

In Australia you could try Smitten Merino. They have a mens 170g zip top. I can definitely recommend them, I have quite a few tops and the leggings - all work great on the trail. They are expensive, but excellent quality, and you are supporting a local Tasmanian company. They also have regular sales, and I think you can get 10% discount just by signing up to their mailing list.

Another good Australian company is IO Merino.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Don't overdo it or you'll be using them as neck warmers :) Or facemasks ? :):)

Samarkand
Hi jenny, I got an old golf trolley! Hoping to change wheels for my own pneumatics and after watching RED BULL SOAPBOX RACE reckon I can put another hiking trolley together . Watch this space for further hilarity and advice on neck braces, knee supports etc al as I'll probably be needing them! :)
Samarkand

Here in the states, I find WoolX to have good quality clothes, although a bit expensive. They almost always have a 20% off deal if you get their emails.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.