• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Icebreaker/synthetic clothing and bedbugs

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
I'm aware that one preferred method for dealing with a bedbug bug invasion is washing and drying at a high temperature for quite sometime. Given so many of us are wearing icebreaker (or equivalent) and/or synthetic clothing I was just wondering how best to address an infestation without shrinking things to doll size? Any tips much appreciated. :) [I also imagine that the black plastic bag in the sun only works when there actually is sun to be found ;). ]

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hot-washed and hot-dried all my Icebreaker and SmartWool clothing many times at home and along the Camino this last Sept and Oct with no problems - everything still fits and is in good condition. But I'd like to hear from others who have had problems, because I've read on the forum that this doesn't work. What might I be doing right? ;-)

That sounds hopeful OTH86, thank you. I had thought the hot drier would shrink the Icebreaker and melt the synthetic clothing. Would be very good to hear some others' experiences in this area.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I got home from my Camino I stripped in the garage then bagged everything including the rucksack and put the lot in the large chest freezer and left them there for a few days, I then washed the lot in the normal way at the correct tempratures.
This was just a precaution as I had not encountered any bedbugs on the trip that I was aware of but did not want to risk bringing any home.

I wash my merino clothes in normal recommended temperatures or sometimes cold water.
When walking in the bedbug season last autumn, I left them at home and took cheaper synthetic clothes instead, as I didn't want ruin them.
I have once, by mistake, washed a merino top in hot water. And it came out size xxxx-small (small from the start). Useless. I'm not going to do that again.

Thanks Susannafromsweden. That was my worst fear. Now we just have to hope someone who found bedbugs in their icebreaker gear also found a brilliant way to divest their clothing of the visitors without shrinking them. :). Fingers crossed eh?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Susannafromsweden. That was my worst fear. Now we just have to hope someone who found bedbugs in their icebreaker gear also found a brilliant way to divest their clothing of the visitors without shrinking them. :). Fingers crossed eh?
:) I think it sounds difficult, that's why I left my merino things at home.
From what I've been reading you need to wash them in 50c to get rid of the eggs, and the tag in the clothes says max 40c.
But you can also put them in the freezer as wayfarer says. I've heard you got to let them stay in the freezer two weeks, -18c. Don't remember where I saw that. A bit difficult to do, when you are out on the camino. ;)

Hi

Happy new year to ever body.............. I use A fitted single poly-cotton sheet and spray this with a dog flea spray which contains PERMETHRIN (supermarkets are cheaper instead of chemist to get hold of the Permethrin active ingredient. I place this over the bed (even if I stay in a hotel) then place my sleeping bag on top. this will remain effective for up to six weeks with the odd wash here and there.

My last camino I gave my sheet to a lady from America and next morning I have a few bites.........I always take a sheet and use it apart from when in my tent.

On my main forum that I use, the idea has been tried and tested by many.....and the weight to carry is tiny to have the cover you need......other than this........"you have to wash your clothes at 60 for two hours". (have a quick inspection before thinking about staying) also if the bed in the place you stay at has 1. metal frames 2. tiled flooring 3. mattress made of foam with plastic (type )protective material your be fine.

I make my assessment in seconds.......if I see loads of beds together and a solo washing machine. I then think 'difficult to wash and dry all that bedding for the next lot to arrive'

At Roncevalles . a classic example of how a big operation can be run without getting bedbugs... suitable flooring....beds protected, and big washing drying operation going on in the basement,(many volunteers washing the bedding and your clothes)...also main albergue in Burgos is good...........sometimes I do stay at dodgy place to see friends who run the place, then the sheet comes out.

On my very first camino I had a huge infestation and tried to stay in a hotel after my visit to the medical centre. I was told to leave.(its not the plague).....I felt very uncomfortable and for someone who showers and shaves twice a day on camino I felt uncomfortable....... lucky for me I was asked to walk with a Spanish lady and her mother and friend at the start of my camino and they tended to me whilst with took a day off. I had a anti histamine injection in my bum and felt sleepy for a while after.

outdoor technical kit is expensive and some off my kit will shrink on a hot wash, So I Sprayed ever thing .and washed it later that day.

bedbugs are a global problem not just the camino......and you can avoid them ........1 x polycotton sheet . 1 x flea spray..........spray sheet. allow to dry and place in its own zip lock bag.
use when needed...........

Just finished camino Frances yesterday, many places looked very clean, some a little sketchy... No Bed Bugs.... No Bites.... One Albergue was closed for spraying... On cloths I am a fan of MEC, IN Canada purchased 3 pair MEC brand merino underwear they didn't last a week totally destroyed and crotch destroyed go the extra $ and buy icebreaker...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No problem here with drying Icebreaker on medium heat in tumbledryer. Only small issue : fabric can pile up a bit but that is merely aestethics.

I never saw or felt bedbugs on my pilgrimage. I suppose they can be problematic but I also think there is much un-called for hysteria made of them. The reality is they are annoying but do not spread any diseases. There are reams of websites about bedbugs. Lice are a far more dangerous parasite. If an alburgue looks sketchy or dirty, move on. You can see the bedbugs on the mattress seams and elsewhere, there is no mystery about them.
I used a sleeping bag in the alburgues and also used a tent. Never had a problem.
Buen Camino

I got bedbugs and washed all my icebreaker items on the highest setting possible (60C, I believe). I hung them to dry, and I had no problems with shrinkage.

Regardless, I would have taken shrinkage over bedbugs anyway. I wanted those things dead!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi
At Roncevalles . a classic example of how a big operation can be run without getting bedbugs... suitable flooring....beds protected, and big washing drying operation going on in the basement,(many volunteers washing the bedding and your clothes)...also main albergue in Burgos is good...........sometimes I do stay at dodgy place to see friends who run the place, then the sheet comes out.

Roncesvalles is not always without bugs. One of my walkers got infested her first night at Roncesvalles in 2012. They can be anywhere, little buggers!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back