• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iceland stopover anyone?

YoCo

Time of past OR future Camino
Future: Aug 2018 Frances
Just wondering if anyone has considered an Iceland stopover?

From the US flights go to Iceland with a day or more stopover and then on to Paris CDG.

Sounds fun!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Stopover??? Did 12 days! Actually, planned on LePuy last June, but wife was still recovering from bronchitis, so after Paris had an incredible trip to Iceland instead. Can do a day, 2, 3 and get a great feel. Cheap flights, although expensive there - but well worth it. There is a 1-day circle you can take to get a feel of it. You will get some walking in, too.

Attachments

• IMG_4070.JPG
    IMG_4070.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did this. Iceland Air experience was excellent and the pricing was great. They were also very flexible on our return. We ended up changing our return by several days and the change fee was only $80 or something close. They let you extend your layover for days either direction at no charge, even on a whim. Good deal and would do it again.

Thanks for the reminder. I saw those flights when researching frights from Vegas to Paris. Sounds like a more interesting layover than Newark or NY.

It's a bit crazy but Turkish Airlines has flights to Spain from many places that include a stopover in Istanbul with a night or two free hotel stay. So, for example, I could book a Boston to Madrid or Barcelona flight that stops in Istanbul first and see the sights there before flying to Spain. I saw this first three years ago and the price then was about what I paid for our airfare anyway. Then, if the stopover was short, you could get a free bus tour of the city. See https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-tr/flights/stopover/

The site has links for you to check visa requirements (you may need a visa for Turkey even you don't for the EU.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One day I will do a stopover. This is my second time getting a brief Iceland stop but, going with a purpose so I want to ge ton the CF as soon as I can.

I haven't done the stopover as I have limited time away from home for a Camino and want all of that time devoted to the walk. However, I have been to Iceland and even a few days around Reykjavik would be terrific. I don't like anything to do with crowds, but my trip "came with" a trip to the Blue Lagoon, so I went, midweek, at night, with snow falling (December). AMAZING! (and really not too crowded).

It's a bit crazy but Turkish Airlines has flights to Spain from many places that include a stopover in Istanbul with a night or two free hotel stay. So, for example, I could book a Boston to Madrid or Barcelona flight that stops in Istanbul first and see the sights there before flying to Spain. I saw this first three years ago and the price then was about what I paid for our airfare anyway. Then, if the stopover was short, you could get a free bus tour of the city. See https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-tr/flights/stopover/

The site has links for you to check visa requirements (you may need a visa for Turkey even you don't for the EU.)
On my first Camino in 2015 my son and I decided to fly from Chicago to Madrid with a very l o n g layover in Istanbul first, which saved $300 each on airfare. It was pure torture trying to sleep in the airport for many hours before taking off again. It also adds many more hours of time in the air as Istanbul is much farther east and south than Madrid...I say never again. We did not know of the incentives of perks offered at that time. But I would not consider it anyway as unrest in that country has been escalating.

The following year we started a cruise out of Istanbul and were supposed to have a day of sightseeing first, but it was cancelled as the cruise line felt the area was unsafe at that time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, my partner and I flew from Melbourne to Amsterdam. We then flew to Reykavic and hired a small campervan for two weeks last August. We loved it however eating out grossly expensive, van hire,excursions and food expensive.
So it was a lot of pasta, vegetables and sausages. Camp grounds overcrowded with not enough facilities. We soon learnt to stop in the smaller towns with less tourists. We did the entire ring road.

On my 2014 Camino, I flew Icelandair and stopped over for 4 days going over, and 3 days coming back. It is a beautiful, rugged, country and the Icelandair flight was very good. One caveat, though. The weather in Iceland was, of course, very different than the weather in Spain in October/November. I did need to bring extra clothing along. Once in Europe, though, you could send the extra clothing ahead to Santiago and not have to carry it on your Camino.

We laid over a couple of days last year en route to Italy and loved it. Fascinating place; if you lay over, do the Golden Circle tour to get the feel of it. But, while the flights are cheap, once you are in Iceland it is really, really expensive. Think San Francisco. We spent over $70 on a dinner of soup, bread and one beer each at a fairly simple restaurant. The hostel we stayed in (bunk beds, bathroom down the stairs) cost more than any hotel we stayed at in Italy. Well worth the expense, IMHO, but be prepared.

Also, if you are going to Europe for a long trip, and are limited to 90 days in the Schengen Zone (as Americans are), remember that Iceland is in the Zone, so your day one in the Zone is the day you arrive in Iceland, not the day you arrive in mainland Europe. I learned this on a previous trip. Arriving at 11:40 or so in ReykjavĂ­k, I had to hang back at the end of the customs line so that I would be stamped in after midnight or I would have been in the Zone 91 days by the time I left.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My Partner stated: I've got an idea for a holiday and the country starts with the letter 'I' and ends with a 'D'...excitedly I said Ireland!! No, he said.... Iceland!!! So....we did both and I must say the contrast between the two was amazing.....one white, mountainous and icy and the other green, rolling hills and just a little bit rainy. Both with stunning photographic scenery. Two weeks driving around the circumference of each country was a great way to spend a holiday. The main tourist spots are the Golden Circle route (300km loop from Reykjavik) and the Blue Lagoon - well worth a stopover for sure.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back