• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ideal Backpack weight, with or without water?

cabigred

Time of past OR future Camino
CF June 2015, CF June 2016, CP June 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but with all my gear, my pack weighs in at 14 lbs. My water bladder with 1.5 liters adds 3+ pounds. I weigh about 168. I pretty good on weight then, right? I have reduced down to minimal, bag liner instead of sleeping bag, rain jacket, no rain pants etc...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not such a silly question Bud. I think most would not value it in.
I would not use a bladder that is built into a pack - it just seems so rubbery. May I suggest that in all ernest , you start rehydrating each evening - as much as you can - even if you have to get up at night. then the following morning , drink a good litre before you set off - even if you are not thirsty. The next thing is to make sure of your plan that day - there are a few stretches with little or no water. I don't see that you should carry more that 2 litres and then of course as you drink it , your pack becomes lighter. It is a personal requirement , I guess after a few days you will find out how much is enough - if camping , you may need a LOT more.
Just to add , if you carry say 4 and not 2 litres , I promise you that you can feel a huge difference , I carried an extra 3 litres to camp on the Alto del Perdón.

Last edited:
Thats a good pack weight you have. As long as you train with that weight and you are comfortable, thats what matters. I am going through the same process now to reduce my pack weight. Three major items, the pack itself, boots and lightweight sleeping bag.
- I have Atmos 50 weighs 3 ib 8 oz. Going to Zpack arc blast 52l weighing 18 oz.
- sleeping bag from 25 oz to 10 oz.
- Boots 3.5 ibs to under 2 ibs
My total pack weight further reduced by 3.3 ibs.

Why reduce boot weight? They say 1 ib on your feet is 5 ibs on your back!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My hiking shoes weigh in at 1.5 lbs, sleeping sack is 1.4lbs....Maybe I should switch out my Tevas for Crocs and save another pound...

My hiking shoes weigh in at 1.5 lbs, sleeping sack is 1.4lbs....Maybe I should switch out my Tevas for Crocs and save another pound...
Sandals are good to have if you are likely to walk part of the camino with it. Otherwise. yes just a flip flop or crocs for indoor use.

The ideal weight will depend on what you feel is essential for your everyday. Each year we carry less weight. This year will be below 12 pounds including a liter of water.

So I can only recommend less is better. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So I had alternative crocs shipped to me. Too small. I have to mention the weight I carry is probably due to my big feet. my Teva Lites weigh over a pound :-(

clarification question -- when you (the royal "you") talk about pack weight, are you including the clothes and shoes you are wearing? Or only what's literally in your pack while you will be walking?? Thanks :)

My suggestions based on a summer 2014 Camino Frances: two pairs of walking footwear is not too much. Keen sandals saved my camino (see my other posts for a full explanation). Extra weight in that department is well worth it. By the end, after much shoe shopping, I ended up with a pair of hiking sandals and a pair of trail shoes. And I was more than happy to carry that weight.

But let's talk about the sleeping bag. What month are you going? In the summer a liner was often too hot (and every albuergue we stayed in except Roncevalles had blankets). I'm not honestly sure I'd carry anything other than Sea-to-Summit reactor liner even in the shoulder seasons.

And I'd leave the water bladder behind. Buy a bottle of water in Spain (I used .75L, by wife .5 L). Refill it at the village water fountains. Actually, my wife followed an approach similar to Renshaw's--she'd just drink at the fountain, and walk to the next village with her bottle empty. When the bottle gets banged up, recycle it and buy another. Also bought extra bottles of water right before long stretches.

And based on those two items, I think you might want to post your entire packing list. Here is my answer to what is the idea pack weight--as light as you can get it. I did not want to carry one gram on my back across Spain unless it was earning its keep in terms of usefulness. My pack was at 12-13lbs (I started the Camino weighing 200lbs, ended at 175lbs), and if (when) I do it again, I think I can cut that by a pound or two.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
clarification question -- when you (the royal "you") talk about pack weight, are you including the clothes and shoes you are wearing? Or only what's literally in your pack while you will be walking?? Thanks :)
Only the pack.

I am leaving May 30 from Sjdpp. And I get cold. So I don't think I can ditch the sleeping sack. It only weighs a pound. I ditched my fleece jacket for a down sweater and my gortex rain jacket for a ultralite jacket....

So that magic "10% of your ideal weight" number is just the pack and its contents...but not including food and water? And not what you are wearing, your shoes, or your fanny pack/extra bag or your trekking poles?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
it includes water, but not what I am wearing. I am not carrying an extra bag, it is all in the backpack.

it includes water, but not what I am wearing. I am not carrying an extra bag, it is all in the backpack.

Thanks. I meant the "general" you. When we total our weight, do we count food and water, what we are wearing, any additional small bags, and our trekking poles?

more clarification -- I will carry 32 oz water and 16 oz food in my pack and have included my poles & fanny pack in my carry weight but not the shoes and clothes I'll be wearing (3.4lb) . I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 175lb today. My carry weight as described is 15.75lb. plus wearing weight 3.4lb = 19.1lb.
So, my "carry" weight looks good but my overall weight looks heavy.....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Serious question. For those of you who have been able to keep the pack weight down to 15 or so pounds, what are you carrying? How about a packing list? Try as I might, I cannot come close to 15 pounds. Thanks.

The ideal weight will depend on what you feel is essential for your everyday. Each year we carry less weight. This year will be below 12 pounds including a liter of water.

So I can only recommend less is better. ;)
Twelve pounds? Wow. How about sharing your packing list? Thanks.

This is mine at 15lbs
Item Ounces
Pack 36
Pacsaf purse 6.8
Hat 3.8

ExOfficio S/S 4.3
EB Pant 11.7
Gloves 2.1
Half Buff x 2 1.2
Eye Mask 0.5

Smartwool low socks x 2 3.6
Body sensor Panties x2 2.4
Ominshade L/S x2 13
Helium Rain Jacket 6
Sports bra 2.2
Clothes line 0.9
crocs 18.2
Down Jacket 9
Super Youth Cream 4.6
Miracle Skin 2.3
3 lip balm spf20 1.8
Color stick 1.3
Age Shield SPF 110 3.8
First Aid plus Meds 19.5
Shampoo/soap bar 5.8
Camp suds and clothes pins 7.5
Orange Stuff Sacks 1.1
Pillow cover plus bag 8.1
Assorted bags 4.1
Paclock 7.4
Sleeping bag liner 27
Towel and wash cloth 6.1

Kindle plus cords 9.5
Back up battery 2.8
Guide book 10
244.4 or 15.28lbs

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here is my complete list -- includes wearing (3.4lb) and carrying (15.75lb) = 19.1
still a work in progress...

MAY 27 - JULY 1 CAMINO PACKING LIST
REVISED April 6, 2015
OZ
48 Gregory J38
3 fanny pack
1 security wallet

5 1 long sleeve smart wool T-shirt
5.5 1 long sleeve SPF shirt w/collar
4.5 1 short sleeve SPF shirt w/collar
2.5 1 short sleeve tech T-shirt
14.5 1 convertible (zip off) long pants/capris
6 1 pair of shorts
2.25 3 pairs microfiber underpants
2.75 2 sports bras - poly
2.5 3 pairs lightweight wool sox
1.75 3 pairs Coolmax sox liners
7 1 lightweight dress for back & forth to shower, around aubergue & town
3.5 1 large scarf
1 1 camino buff for neck & face protection and hair control can be used as hat
10.5 1 lightweight fleece with front zipper and hood
11 1 lightweight rain/wind jacket
10 1 Altus poncho S3
2.5 1 Baseball cap with ventilation panels

32 Merrell Moab Ventillators with SofSol inserts
19 Keen Sandals
5 Flip-flops

4 Silk sleeping bag liner and stuff sack sprayed with permethrin.
0.2 ear plugs x 3 w/case

0.85 1 Toothpaste – travel size
0.25 1 Toothbrush – travel style
0.1 1 travel size floss
2.5 1 LUSH shampoo bar in plastic case(shampoo/body/clothes)
1 deodorant – travel size
0.1 Disposable razor
0.13 lip balm – high SPF
3.5 1 tube sunscreen/moisturizer
0.25 comb
4.3 1 travel towel - microfiber
0.25 1 wash mit – microfiber
1.25 2 Small pack tissue
Nail scissors – buy there

6.5 Smart phone (in airplane mode for wifi internet use – books, maps, camera)
3.5 Old Nokia dumb “world phone” for local calls
2 1 USB cable, electric plug & plug adapter (same set-up works for both cells)

0.5 5 Band-Aids & cleansing wipes
0.25 Neosporin - partial tube
1 10 Ibuprophen & Rx meds (40 day supply x 3)
0.5 Eye drops for dry eyes
1 Pepto-Bismol tablets
0.1 Tiny sewing kit
3 Nok or superslick or vasoline (blister prevention)
Second skin (blister prevention)

2.5 Rx glasses (.5), Rx sunglasses (1), 2 soft case (1)
0.2 Cloth glasses cleaner
0.75 1 multipurpose knife
0.25 1 spork
18 Leki trekking poles
0.25 1 tiny flash light
0.25 1 small carabineer (attach stuff to pack, hang up pack, etc.)
1 1 poly carryall for laundry, groceries, shopping, purse
4.5 4 dry sacks & Ziplocs for organization and off trail pee stops.
1.5 safety pins/clothes pins
2.5 important documents & copies

268.48 oz TOTAL WEIGHT not including food & water

16.78 pounds

more clarification -- I will carry 32 oz water and 16 oz food in my pack and have included my poles & fanny pack in my carry weight but not the shoes and clothes I'll be wearing (3.4lb) . I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 175lb today. My carry weight as described is 15.75lb. plus wearing weight 3.4lb = 19.1lb.
So, my "carry" weight looks good but my overall weight looks heavy.....
I much prefer the consistency of using from the skin out measures, where everything you will wear and carry gets counted in your weight budget. I also prefer to use BMI=25 weight for actual height, rather than my actual weight, for load calculations.

There are reliable sources that suggest that a FSO load of 20% will have minimal impact on your walking performance (and over 30% will be challenging!). Based on your height, your BMI=25 weight would be about 75 kg, and an FSO20 load would be 15 kg, or 33 lbs. On the basis of your stated loads, you would appear to be well within the FSO20 target.

Last edited:
I like your thinking :) My take away is that I should stop stressing and just see how my pack feels on the road. I'm set for my first full load training walk tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I like your thinking :) My take away is that I should stop stressing and just see how my pack feels on the road. I'm set for my first full load training walk tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Having said all that, lighter is always better. The balance here is what you are prepared to carry for safety and comfort compared to what you are prepared to forego at risk. For example, I always start the day with at least two litres of water, even in spring. Many people will start each day with far less - I prefer not to let myself become too dehydrated. These are personal judgements, but can make a big difference to your carried weight.

My list:
MY WEIGHT 75k = 165lbs/11st11lbs– AIM 10% = 7.5k = 16.5lbs

TOTAL OF ALL ITEMS – EITHER IN BACKPACK OR WORN
Aarn Marathon Magic 33L 1,140g
4x5L Lifeventure Dristore roll-top bags 156g
Altra Olympus shoes 258g
Teva Terra FI 3 sandals 340g
2 prs Bridgedale Trekker socks 220g
3 prs Bridgedale Coolmax Liner 30g
Tilley Hat 110g
1 pr Pacer Poles 600g
iPhone 140g & iPad Mini Retina 341g – 481g
Lifeventure EX3 silk sleeper 150g
1 Rohan Elite Jacket 330g
1 Rohan Icepack Vest 285g
1 Rohan Microgrid Stowaway Jacket (fleece) 335g
1 pr Rohan Trailblazer Convertible (trousers) 700g
1 pr Rohan Elite Overtrousers 290g
2 pr Rohan Ultra Silver Trunks (40g) 80g
2 Rohan Ultra T Silver Short Sleeve 120g
1 Rohan Core Silver Zip 195g
1 Rohan Freelance Shirt Long Sleeve 190g
1 Microfibre medium travel towel 60g
Passport 40g Debit card 5g Glasses 60g
Euroschirm trekking umbrella – 383g
SUB-TOTAL = 6,558g = 14.46lbs
Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System
Bottled water 1,000g
TOTAL WITH WATER = 7,558g

WEIGHT CARRIED IN BACKPACK WHEN WALKING (Worst scenario)
Aarn Marathon Magic 33L 1,140g
4x5L Lifeventure Dristore roll-top bags 156g
Teva Terra FI 3 sandals 340g
1 prs Bridgedale Trekker socks 110g
2 prs Bridgedale Coolmax Liner 20g
iPhone 140g
iPad Mini Retina 341g
Lifeventure EX3 silk sleeper 150g
1 Rohan Elite Jacket 330g
1 pr Rohan Elite Overtrousers 290g
1 Rohan Icepack Vest 285g
1 Rohan Microgrid Stowaway Jacket (fleece) 335g
1 pr Rohan Ultra Silver Trunks 40g
1 Rohan Ultra T Silver Short Sleeve 60g
1 Rohan Core Silver Zip 195g
1 Microfibre medium travel towel 60g
Passport 40g Debit card 5g Glasses 60g
Euroschirm trekking umbrella – 383g
SUB-TOTAL = 4.480g = 9.98lbs
Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System
Bottled water 1,000g
TOTAL WITH WATER = 5,480g

Last edited:
Here is my complete list -- includes wearing (3.4lb) and carrying (15.75lb) = 19.1
still a work in progress...

MAY 27 - JULY 1 CAMINO PACKING LIST
REVISED April 6, 2015
OZ
48 Gregory J38
3 fanny pack
1 security wallet

5 1 long sleeve smart wool T-shirt
5.5 1 long sleeve SPF shirt w/collar
4.5 1 short sleeve SPF shirt w/collar
2.5 1 short sleeve tech T-shirt
14.5 1 convertible (zip off) long pants/capris
6 1 pair of shorts
2.25 3 pairs microfiber underpants
2.75 2 sports bras - poly
2.5 3 pairs lightweight wool sox
1.75 3 pairs Coolmax sox liners
7 1 lightweight dress for back & forth to shower, around aubergue & town
3.5 1 large scarf
1 1 camino buff for neck & face protection and hair control can be used as hat
10.5 1 lightweight fleece with front zipper and hood
11 1 lightweight rain/wind jacket
10 1 Altus poncho S3
2.5 1 Baseball cap with ventilation panels

32 Merrell Moab Ventillators with SofSol inserts
19 Keen Sandals
5 Flip-flops

4 Silk sleeping bag liner and stuff sack sprayed with permethrin.
0.2 ear plugs x 3 w/case

0.85 1 Toothpaste – travel size
0.25 1 Toothbrush – travel style
0.1 1 travel size floss
2.5 1 LUSH shampoo bar in plastic case(shampoo/body/clothes)
1 deodorant – travel size
0.1 Disposable razor
0.13 lip balm – high SPF
3.5 1 tube sunscreen/moisturizer
0.25 comb
4.3 1 travel towel - microfiber
0.25 1 wash mit – microfiber
1.25 2 Small pack tissue
Nail scissors – buy there

6.5 Smart phone (in airplane mode for wifi internet use – books, maps, camera)
3.5 Old Nokia dumb “world phone” for local calls
2 1 USB cable, electric plug & plug adapter (same set-up works for both cells)

0.5 5 Band-Aids & cleansing wipes
0.25 Neosporin - partial tube
1 10 Ibuprophen & Rx meds (40 day supply x 3)
0.5 Eye drops for dry eyes
1 Pepto-Bismol tablets
0.1 Tiny sewing kit
3 Nok or superslick or vasoline (blister prevention)
Second skin (blister prevention)

2.5 Rx glasses (.5), Rx sunglasses (1), 2 soft case (1)
0.2 Cloth glasses cleaner
0.75 1 multipurpose knife
0.25 1 spork
18 Leki trekking poles
0.25 1 tiny flash light
0.25 1 small carabineer (attach stuff to pack, hang up pack, etc.)
1 1 poly carryall for laundry, groceries, shopping, purse
4.5 4 dry sacks & Ziplocs for organization and off trail pee stops.
1.5 safety pins/clothes pins
2.5 important documents & copies

268.48 oz TOTAL WEIGHT not including food & water

16.78 pounds
Nice list Andrea...I love my Moab Ventilators (one size larger). Are yours waterproof?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nice list Andrea...I love my Moab Ventilators (one size larger). Are yours waterproof?
No, I decided against waterproof due to over heating issue I've heard about - mine are 1.5 size larger :) Love the toe box.

No, I decided against waterproof due to over heating issue I've heard about - mine are 1.5 size larger :) Love the toe box.
any issues with wet feet as a result. yea the toe box, I just walked 5 mi today with other brand mid height shoe without the big toe box...little toes are still sore

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.