Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ideal way to get to Oviedo - Camino Primitivo.

C.Scicluna

Time of past OR future Camino
New. Interested in the Primitivo!
Hola!
Hope the travellers are back on track.
I am finding it tricky to find a convenient way to travel from Malta to Oviedo in August. Is there a suggested train/bus company from any major Spanish city that takes you to Oviedo, please?
Gracias!
P.S. Sorted now, thanks!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are several options... The closest airport to Oviedo is Asturias (its a 40 minutes bus journey straight from the airport). Other option might be Santander and from there you can take a FlixBus. I recommend Rome2Rio to find buses and trains. You can then easily google the bus Company (in Spain it's mostly Alsa or FlixBus). There is also a bus connection by Alsa from Madrid, yet it's not directly from the airport.

I checked Kiwi and there are some reasonable flights for around 60 quid. Link to my flight search.

There are several options... The closest airport to Oviedo is Asturias (its a 40 minutes bus journey straight from the airport). Other option might be Santander and from there you can take a FlixBus. I recommend Rome2Rio to find buses and trains. You can then easily google the bus Company (in Spain it's mostly Alsa or FlixBus). There is also a bus connection by Alsa from Madrid, yet it's not directly from the airport.

I checked Kiwi and there are some reasonable flights for around 60 quid. Link to my flight search.
Thanks a lot for all the info! :) I was searching for something without wasting time at airports... managed to find a flight to Madrid and then travel by train.

Please don't use a third party, especially Kiwi to book tickets. As many have found out recently, adding a middleman makes it much more difficult to obtain a refund in case flights are canceled.
Always book directly with the airline. I use Google Flights to find and compare flights.
Flights.Google.com

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please don't use a third party, especially Kiwi to book tickets. As many have found out recently, adding a middleman makes it much more difficult to obtain a refund in case flights are canceled.
Always book directly with the airline. I use Google Flights to find and compare flights.
Flights.Google.com

I agree that buying directly from the airline is safest. Yet, in case of Kiwi they always give you the option to obtain the information for your ticket and deal with the airline directly in case of trouble. Also, some of these providers offer guarantee on trips that use flight tickets from several airlines. Its not that black and white...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Flights.Google.com
Yeah I had one experience with eDreams (as for some reason it was cheaper through them), and it wasn't much of a dream haha! Definitely safer and better to book directly, thanks! :)

Hello,
The ideal way to get to Oviedo is by foot from Leon (Camino Del Salvador) only 5 days.
Buen Camino
Sounds good, but I won't have much time. For next time I'll keep in in mind, thanks :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
IMG_1359.JPG
From Madrid's Chamartin's train station there are high speed (220 km/hr!) electric trains that go to Oviedo via Leon. It takes 5 hours and there are 3 trains each day. (used to be 5 times a day before Covid when I went) Assigned seats and very clean, on time and pleasurable. Get schedule at Rome2Rio.Com

The COOLEST thing about the trip is the view out the window during the last hour of the trip when you are going over/through tunnels the Cantabrian Mountains - snow capped in February when I went to do the Primitivo. It's like a train going through the Alps! It slows down considerably when it hits the Cantabrian Mountains!

I stayed in Hotel Vestusa in Oviedo which was just a 5 minute walk from the train station-- 45 Euros private room. Just 4-5 blocks from Oviedo Cathedral.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks a lot for all the info! :) I was searching for something without wasting time at airports... managed to find a flight to Madrid and then travel by train.
Hi ! I took that route last year. The train journey from Madrid was amazing. The first two hours routine and fast.....but the last hours, slow but spectacular ! Amazing scenery and engineering!

As C.Scicluna is sorted, and I wish C. the best, I can't help but to respond to the title. Perhaps the ideal way to get to Oviedo is by foot, starting in Hendaya, France, by crossing the Bidasoa River on the Puente Internacional de Santiago? It's a gift to one's self, if one can manage the mountainous north, to walk those
weeks on the coast.
IMG_2215.JPGIMG_2214.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey guys appreciate all the comments, gracias! I look forward to starting this week! :)
Whoever did the Primitivo, are there enough signs on the way, in order not to use a map/google maps?
If not do you know if there is a physical Camino Map for the right track/path please?

I took screen shots of the online Primitivo maps for each stage. This way I did not need to be connected to the internet on my ipad mini to reference a map. The route is well mapped enough to travel without a guide book.
Be advised that this is a very difficult route due to the extreme changes in elevation. I quit it half way through and took the train from Lugo to Ferrol to the Ingles Route instead.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good idea thanks! I'll do that too, currently marking few stages on google maps to know I'm on a close path haha. I bet it is!

I took screen shots of the online Primitivo maps for each stage. This way I did not need to be connected to the internet on my ipad mini to reference a map. The route is well mapped enough to travel without a guide book.
Be advised that this is a very difficult route due to the extreme changes in elevation. I quit it half way through and took the train from Lugo to Ferrol to the Ingles Route instead.

When I did the Primitivo it was before Covid - still I am an older guy and prefer private accommodations so I can get a good night's sleep. Now with the virus, I would be even more reluctant to stay in a crowded albergue.
I can recommend these places on the Primitivo to secure a private room.

Oviedo - Hotel Vestusa 16 rooms 45 Euros small but nice
Grado - Hotel Restaurante Auto-Bar 39 rooms 20 Euros good food- tired rooms
Salas - Hotel Soto 10 rooms 20 Euros right on Camino nice old building
Tineo - Hotel Palacio de Meras 29 rooms 45 Euros very swanky- gourmet food
Pola de Allende - Hotel La Nueva Allandesa 39 rooms 25 Euros old world feel -excellent authentic food
Grandas de Salime - Hotel La Barra 11 rooms 40 euros Modern- good restaurant block away
A Fonsagrada - Albergue - Pension Cantabrico 14 rooms 30 Euros Modern clean - Pulperia Caldeira absolutely fantastic octopus restaurant that gets bagpipers in bar on Sundays.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back