• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ideas for refrigerated migraine medicine

LB2022

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Frances in 2022
Walking Norte in 2023
Buenas dias fellow pilgrims. I will be walking my first Camino starting May 31st on the Frances and I'm super excited.

I am looking for ideas and options as I have chronic migraines and take a once-a-month shot that has to be refrigerated (Ajovy). It needs to stay between 2-8 degrees C and above that will only last one week. I've searched the forum and found the option for the Frio which will be good for a week but doesn't maintain the temp required for my shot for four weeks. Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? Any ideas and suggestions?

I have an appointment with my neurologist this week but don't think he'll have a great option. I've also reached out to the company that makes my shot to see if they can help. I don't think shipping is an option given refrigeration requirements for length of time plus potential customs issues. Worse case scenario is that I won't be able to take it but dread facing a month of migraines...

Thank you in advance for any insights and help!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Supposedly available in Spain

Perhaps your US physician can give you a prescription on paper based on the EU guidelines - as outlined in this thread?

I don't know what it will cost you. Perhaps you should also contact your US insurance.

Buenas dias fellow pilgrims. I will be walking my first Camino starting May 31st on the Frances and I'm super excited.

I am looking for ideas and options as I have chronic migraines and take a once-a-month shot that has to be refrigerated (Ajovy). It needs to stay between 2-8 degrees C and above that will only last one week. I've searched the forum and found the option for the Frio which will be good for a week but doesn't maintain the temp required for my shot for four weeks. Has anyone else had to deal with something like this? Any ideas and suggestions?

I have an appointment with my neurologist this week but don't think he'll have a great option. I've also reached out to the company that makes my shot to see if they can help. I don't think shipping is an option given refrigeration requirements for length of time plus potential customs issues. Worse case scenario is that I won't be able to take it but dread facing a month of migraines...

Another forum member and I, @ebrandt discussed this dilemma on another thread. I have posted a link as a possible alternative although is is kind of heavy. It is like carrying a usb powered thermos.

You could also search to see if this is available in Spain for you to purchase at a pharmacy. I take a medication weekly that is available in Spain and I could purchase it, but I would need a Spanish doctor's prescription and I would need to pay for it out of pocket and then file for reimbursement when I return. My medication will last 56 days out of the refrigerator though, so I probably won't have to do that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps combine a couple of options:

Start timing your shot such that you need one 6-7 days after arrival in Spain and use a ‘frio’ or similar to preserve your medication for that purpose. That gives you 28 days to get another dose.

Get a prescription which can be filled in Spain.

Probably too late for this - but have you considered taking it right before you leave or shortly after arrival? Talk to you doc about this - maybe you can make this work.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

What is needed is the ability to renew the cold storage capability of a portable and lightweight cooler. Depending on where you are lodging, access to a refrigerator-freezer or ice should be available each day. The ability to 'charge' the device by sticking it in a freezer overnight or obtaining ice from an ice machine or from a bar or restaurant is doable.

This is a device a friend uses during travel. It keeps his insulin at the 2 to 8 C temp you need for at least three days even in summertime heat. He says that it will easily last two days and in moderate weather it will last as long as 3 to 4 days before needing to re-freeze the internal pack. He will have a hotel or B & B stick the freeze pack for the device into their freezer for 4 to 6 hours, and its good for another 2 to 4 days.

Thank you all for this great insight - I really appreciate it.

I saw online that Ajovy was approved in Spain but great to know it's actually available. I'll work on how to get one dose while I'm in Spain from a pharmacy/doctor.

FYI that I am in Spain for 8 weeks total so don't have the option to flex taking it 6-7 days after I arrive (although I looked at that). I've also looked at the Frio and the 4AllFamily cooling devise - appreciate those references (found them in earlier threads). I'm hoping to not have to do either of those as it would impact my goal of an ultralight backpack. But if necessary, it will be my backup (worth it to avoid migraines :).

Thank you again for the advice!

Another thought. I was looking at the 4AllFamily products, and I saw two models that acted as self contained refrigeration units at 3.3 pounds. They run off of a usb / 5v connection that can be plugged into a portable power bank or any usb outlet. No ice packs.

In my mind, it is too heavy for carrying if ultralight is the goal, but could easily be included in a small bag with extra clothing, etc. for daily transport with a baggage transport service like JacoTrans.

It is pricey at $200. but it can be carried onboard airlines, is TSA approved and appears to be something that would be useful down the road for any vacations, camping, caminos, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Another thought. I was looking at the 4AllFamily products, and I saw two models that acted as self contained refrigeration units at 3.3 pounds. They run off of a usb / 5v connection that can be plugged into a portable power bank or any usb outlet. No ice packs.

In my mind, it is too heavy for carrying if ultralight is the goal, but could easily be included in a small bag with extra clothing, etc. for daily transport with a baggage transport service like JacoTrans.

It is pricey at $200. but it can be carried onboard airlines, is TSA approved and appears to be something that would be useful down the road for any vacations, camping, caminos, etc.
I looked at that model as well. Think it's a good option if I have to carry an extra one with me. Fingers crossed I can find a way to get one locally.
Thank you!

After the great insight and finding out the shot is available in Spain, I have figured out roughly where I need to pick it up along my walk and reached out to a couple pharmacies to see if they carry it. I understand some pharmacies won't prescribe to foreigners. And also found this site who represents the medical industry. I've sent them a note to find out exactly what I need. My goal now is to get everything organized ahead and hopefully secure purchasing it before I leave.

Can't thank everyone here enough - these forums are fantastic!
Muchas gracias

Presenting a prescription abroad​

National contact point for cross-border healthcare​

Ministerio de Sanidad, Consumo y Bienestar Social
Ministry of Health, Consumer Affairs and Social Welfare

Paseo del Prado, 18-20
ES-28071 Madrid

Website
Open as an external link

E-mail: infoncpspain@mscbs.es

After the great insight and finding out the shot is available in Spain, I have figured out roughly where I need to pick it up along my walk and reached out to a couple pharmacies to see if they carry it. I understand some pharmacies won't prescribe to foreigners. And also found this site who represents the medical industry. I've sent them a note to find out exactly what I need. My goal now is to get everything organized ahead and hopefully secure purchasing it before I leave.

Muchas gracias

Paseo del Prado, 18-20
ES-28071 Madrid

Website
Open as an external link

You are doing a lot of due diligence and legwork to get this all sorted. It is my hope that everything lines up so you do not have to worry about this medication issue during your pilgrimage.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Muchas gracias

Paseo del Prado, 18-20
ES-28071 Madrid

Website
Open as an external link

I also sent a private message to a member who may also give some insight. I will pass it along if he is able to respond.

I also sent a private message to a member who may also give some insight. I will pass it along if he is able to respond.
He reports he is able carry his medication and that it is relatively shelf stable, so no help. Your idea to contact a provider in Spain sounds like it may work for you best.

Thanks again for all the help. My Neurologist solved the problem - they offer the shot quarterly so I can take a triple dose before I go. Nice to have so many great back up options.

Muchas gracias!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks again for all the help. My Neurologist solved the problem - they offer the shot quarterly so I can take a triple dose before I go. Nice to have so many great back up options.

Muchas gracias!
Great news! And you would not have known unless you were doing the Camino and asked! So glad it will work out.
Janet

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.