• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ideas to help forum member with internet shutdowns

peregrina2000

Staff member
As many of you know, we have a dear forum friend who lives in a part of the world where regular internet shutdowns and slowdowns have become a fact of life. She is able to access email and zoom, but getting on the forum is nearly impossible.

I am unable to offer any suggestions, but I am happy to be the go-between.

I wish I could connect with Ivar or Rick because they might have some other ideas besides getting rid of my cache/cookies and reinstalling Firefox. The speed is the same on my phone or my laptop, and while sometimes I can get in to read posts (it takes forever), I'm wondering if the software The Forum uses shares some key characteristics with Facebook or Twitter, which are both blocked here.

I am happy to relay the messages, fingers crossed that some of you can help. Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unfortunately, I think that social media like this forum are exactly the kind of thing that totalitarian governments want to limit access to in times of crisis.

Try using a VPN - NordVPN has a free plan for people in extremis

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are we talking problems, because someone might be turning it off (like china or myanmar), or problems because of bad infrastructure (like rural places, emerging countries)? Different problems with different solutions.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As many of you know, we have a dear forum friend who lives in a part of the world where regular internet shutdowns and slowdowns have become a fact of life. She is able to access email and zoom, but getting on the forum is nearly impossible.

Your friend might look into the TOR browser, which was designed to provide users with anonymity and works like a VPN. Some countries block people from using TOR, but if your friend can get a copy of it they show a way you can configure it to work around that.

@peregrina2000 , In case it isn’t evident from those links, the TOR project gives an option to get their software by email in case the download page is blocked:

“Send an email to gettor@torproject.org. Write your operating system (such as Windows, macOS, or Linux) in the body of the message and send. GetTor will respond with an email containing links from which you can download Tor Browser, the cryptographic signature (needed for verifying the download), the fingerprint of the key used to make the signature, and the package’s checksum. You may be offered a choice of "32-bit" or "64-bit" software: this depends on the model of the computer you are using; consult documentation about your computer to find out more.”

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It also occurs to me that depending what country you live in using TOR or a VPN may not be legal, or might get you into trouble in some other way. The point of these things is that you remain anonymous and they can’t track you, but of course the Camino forum might not be the thing you want to risk anything for.

I don’t have any specific knowledge, but I wouldn’t want any suggestion I made to get someone in trouble.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve used DuckDuckGo as an anonymous browser, but repressive regimes are likely on to sites such as that.

I wish I could connect with Ivar or Rick because they might have some other ideas besides getting rid of my cache/cookies and reinstalling Firefox. The speed is the same on my phone or my laptop, and while sometimes I can get in to read posts (it takes forever), I'm wondering if the software The Forum uses shares some key characteristics with Facebook or Twitter, which are both blocked here.

I am happy to relay the messages, fingers crossed that some of you can help. Buen camino, Laurie
I believe that the military in Myanmar are deliberately slowing the Internet and as a result Tor and VPN's are just as slow as a straight browser.

On her (Android) phone she could use Chrome Lite mode, see https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392284?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en&oco=0

This doesn't work on a PC though. On a PC if she can get Opera Mini from somewhere (downloading it will obviously be slow) then that may be slightly faster.

In addition, do the normal things to speed up browsing on both the phone and PC such as only have a single tab open and no other programs running.

She could try turning off graphics, that will speed things up but might make the Forum hard to navigate:
Chrome

In the upper right, open the Customize and control Google Chrome menu by clicking the three horizontal bars. Select Settings.

Click the Show advanced settings... ...

Under the "Images" heading, select Do not show any images.

Click OK, and then close the Settings tab.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A much more complicated method may help if she wants to go down the technology hole.

On a PC if she has a mobile phone that allows its internet connection to be shared over WiFi then it is possible to combine the wired PC connection with the phone connection to get a faster combined speed, see: https://techwelkin.com/combine-multiple-internet-connections

Good luck!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That’s a good heads up. I will make sure to pass along this information.
I agree with Les. Hopefully there is someone on this forum or knows someone that is well versed in this area and knows what the serious repercussions may be if she attempts to use some work around that has been set up by a totalitarian regime. Even for just coming to our sight this person could face profound and life changing repercussions. I have no idea but better to be safe.

A note from Myanmar —

It's late and I just blew through a couple of hours futzing around trying to install a VPN. I can download the app but then I can't sign in— that latter step seems blocked. But Doughnut's Chrome Lite mode does seem to make a big difference. So I can read at least. The thing is, the page never fully loads and what is missing is is any ability to interact, so I can't reply or even easily like a post. But it's hugely better than nothing.

So, many thanks to all the forum helpers. I am going to be the relay messenger — from Myanmar via email to me to the forum!

And I. have also communicated all the concerns about legality and possible repercussions. Thanks so much to everyone!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A note from Myanmar —

It's late and I just blew through a couple of hours futzing around trying to install a VPN. I can download the app but then I can't sign in— that latter step seems blocked. But Doughnut's Chrome Lite mode does seem to make a big difference. So I can read at least. The thing is, the page never fully loads and what is missing is is any ability to interact, so I can't reply or even easily like a post. But it's hugely better than nothing.

So, many thanks to all the forum helpers. I am going to be the relay messenger — from Myanmar via email to me to the forum!

And I. have also communicated all the concerns about legality and possible repercussions. Thanks so much to everyone!
I use Lite mode on my phone all the time and I don't have any problems accessing the Forum. This probably means that the problems are related to Internet issues.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve used DuckDuckGo as an anonymous browser, but repressive regimes are likely on to sites such as that.
DuckDuckGo is search engine and not a browser.

Just be aware that that Internet Searches on DuckDuckGo are visible to your ISP and hence local authorities who can request access to your search history. Similarly just looking up a web site address via the ISP default DNS server is also logged.

To be discrete you need to use an anonymous VPN service such as NORDVPN and to configure your device to use a secure DNS service. There are many Tutorials on the Internet who can show you how to do this and it is not difficult.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.