A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Identified and captured an exhibitionist who persecuted pilgrims on the Portuguese Way in Teo

Camino Badges

arturo garcia

Pilgrim/Hospitalero/Mountain guide/Photographer
Camino(s) past & future
French way (Dic. 2012), Portuguese way (Dic.2013) and now living on the Camino.
Last edited:

CAJohn

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Sept/Oct 2019
Tourists (and pilgrims) do not always report crimes to the police when traveling. Criminals know this and exploit it. I have reported things that have happened to me in foreign countries (luckily never was physically harmed) and the police actually caught the perpetrators in at least half the cases. I have generally found the police in various European countries to be responsive, concerned and willing to take the situation seriously. The German police in Berlin told me that they want tourists to complain about harassing behavior, because that is the only way they can do anything.

So report, report, report. And download AlertCops App. One thing about that app is that you can send your exact location even if you couldn't otherwise well describe were you are. I could see that being very useful in the event of a medical emergency.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
Tourists (and pilgrims) do not always report crimes to the police
When I was robbed in the Philippines, the perps were caught. The police told me that I would have to stay there for six months to prosecute. If I left that country, charges would be dropped.

The ability to actually prosecute depends on each country's laws. It is good to report it, though. It allows law enforcement to build a prosecution. In my case, the criminals were at the top of the police list and easy to identify, so it was a matter of waiting until they "mugged" a GI who was based there and would be around for a few months for a prosecution! Justice may grind slowly.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. Next: Gd St Bernard to Rome

Bob from L.A. !

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
When I was robbed in the Philippines, the perps were caught. The police told me that I would have to stay there for six months to prosecute. If I left that country, charges would be dropped.
Unfortunately criminals know this and selectively select tourist as victims worldwide.

TheSparrow

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2019) Walking Lisbon North
Here is a translation of the story - neighbors were also helpful in the identification of this man! There are always many people to help you if you encounter a troubling person in a town or village and you need help - you can knock at a door or ask someone at a cafe to lend assistance.

The Local Police of Teo and the investigation group of the Civil Guard of the main post of Milladoiro have managed to identify a man who persecuted pilgrims showing off and even masturbating in front of them. The facts were happening in the section of the Portuguese Way as it passed through the teense concello and the security forces had been trying for days to locate the man and surprise him so that he could take legal action against him, as he will do now. Finally, the operation has been successful, thanks in large part to the neighborhood collaboration. From the Local Police of Teo thank the neighbors and ask that they do not hesitate to give notice of any other incident that may occur.

Nick B

Camino(s) past & future
Frances - May/June 2018
Portugese - (2019)
Norte - (2020)
Was that the chubby fiddler mentioned on here somewhere ?

Camino(s) past & future
CF August to September 2016
Here is a translation of the story - neighbors were also helpful in the identification of this man! There are always many people to help you if you encounter a troubling person in a town or village and you need help - you can knock at a door or ask someone at a cafe to lend assistance.

The Local Police of Teo and the investigation group of the Civil Guard of the main post of Milladoiro have managed to identify a man who persecuted pilgrims showing off and even masturbating in front of them. The facts were happening in the section of the Portuguese Way as it passed through the teense concello and the security forces had been trying for days to locate the man and surprise him so that he could take legal action against him, as he will do now. Finally, the operation has been successful, thanks in large part to the neighborhood collaboration. From the Local Police of Teo thank the neighbors and ask that they do not hesitate to give notice of any other incident that may occur.
Thank you so much for translating!

formysons

Camino(s) past & future
Roncesvalles - Santiago 2009; Portuguese, Ingles, Finesterre and Muxia - 2019.
Good new, seeing that I am walking that route in August. I will download AlertCops onto my cellphone when I get to Porto. Thank you !!!

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
Good new, seeing that I am walking that route in August. I will download AlertCops onto my cellphone when I get to Porto. Thank you !!!
As I understand it, AlertCops is a Spanish App. If you are walking in Portugal, you might be better to dial 112 on your phone, which will connect you to a communications service which provides extensive contacts in various languages in the wider EU.

formysons

Camino(s) past & future
Roncesvalles - Santiago 2009; Portuguese, Ingles, Finesterre and Muxia - 2019.
As I understand it, AlertCops is a Spanish App. If you are walking in Portugal, you might be better to dial 112 on your phone, which will connect you to a communications service which provides extensive contacts in various languages in the wider EU.
Thank you, 112 it is then.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 158 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%