• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If I already have the credential, do I still have to register in SJPD anyway?

Gabe_Way

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago - May-June 2019
(Walking)
As the title says. Do we need to go to the pilgrim office to register, regardless of having the official credential, which I have bought from this website? Or are we good to go?
Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are good to go and there is no need to register.

However, the SJPdP Pilgrim Office located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle
is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential and stamp if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions. They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night. Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims. ...Do plan to stop and chat!

Last edited:

However, the SJPdP Pilgrim Office located on the camino at 39 rue de La Citadelle
is open every day and in season from early in the morning until late at night ie after the arrival of the last bus/train. The helpful multi-lingual volunteers can provide you with a Credential and stamp if needed, as well as a list of major albergues and current weather/ trail conditions. They can also help locate a bed/bunk for the night. Most importantly the office is a great spot to meet/ greet other pilgrims. ...Do plan to stop and chat!
Thank you! Yeah totally. I just wanted to avoid the line for the registration. But I'll go there to ask for the Napoleon route and to meet other fellow piligrims. :) Thanks again!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Likely to be VERY busy in June in Santiago at the pilgrim office. People often tell stories of waiting for a couple of hours then. Of course you do not have to register there either unless you really want a Compostela. For a number of reasons quite a lot of people do not request one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gidday,
I also go there to meet the "incredible", knowledgable volunteers in the office. They also have a wonderful stamp.
I start meeting pilgrims and giving out a little "walking card" so that I start to be known. I met hundreds of people and try to remember their names. Although, I only finished with 3 others that I had met from SJPdP to Finistere. Everyone does their own Camino so it's all down to serendipity.
In the Santiago line you reconnect with your buddies...for one or two hours...
Buen Camino
Love

There is no registration, the pilgrimage isn't like that, so just go and enjoy.
Though - two reasons to go into the pilgrim's office in St Jean - knowledgeable and kind volunteers and, you get your first stamp on your passport - your first Sello ... and if you miss getting that you will be SO miffed later on when you have become a Sello addict :).

and (ok, three reasons) - it is your first step .. your very first step, so go and say hello and get a 'Buen Camino' and a Sello.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Likely to be VERY busy in June in Santiago at the pilgrim office. People often tell stories of waiting for a couple of hours then. Of course you do not have to register there either unless you really want a Compostela. For a number of reasons quite a lot of people do not request one.
I'm among the ones who really want the Compostela though :) (I'm not even Religious. In fact I'm agnostic. But after 800Km I'd like to have my official certificate. If only for the first one; on the next Caminos I'd probably skip that.) So I guess I'll have to patiently wait in line. 😏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
😃🤣😂😅😆😁😄😀 Ummm, well, errr, ahh . . . just enjoy the walk and try not to think about it.
Ahaha, not that was just 'Pour Parler'. I don't care really if I'll have to wait two hours in Santiago.
Thanks John, I will!! :) I can't wait! Still, more than a month to go... 😯

I certainly would go to the Pilgrims Office in StJpdP, for all the reasons mentioned above, it’s your starting point, you get your stamp, but also you get a list of the majority of accommodations along the way with prices, facilities etc and I’m told it is usually the most up to date listing for this. So that alone is worth going for.

Buen Camino

It is where you get the first stamp. I "think" the Pilgrim reception in SdC would consider your pilgrimage started from SJPdP" when issuing the certificate of distance, but, I can be wrong.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As @David said above, you don't have to "register" anywhere. You can get your first stamp at the Pilgrims Office, or at a hostel, hotel, restaurant or anywhere that has one in St Jean. You will want a stamp indicating your starting place on the Camino so that can be recorded on your Compestela, "welcome certificate" or distance certificate when you arrive in Santiago.
I would strongly encourage you to stop by the Pilgrim's office in St Jean for the information that they provide. Jean
Likely to be VERY busy in June in Santiago at the pilgrim office. People often tell stories of waiting for a couple of hours then.
But the question was about the Pilgrims Office in SJPDP, not Santiago.

I'm among the ones who really want the Compostela though :) (I'm not even Religious. In fact I'm agnostic. But after 800Km I'd like to have my official certificate. If only for the first one; on the next Caminos I'd probably skip that.) So I guess I'll have to patiently wait in line. 😏
There is an alternate "certificate of welcome" for those who are walking for non religious or spiritual reasons. In addition you can purchase a distance certificate for 3€.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There was no one in line in SJPP when my husband and I stopped in, about 8 am on an October morning. I think everyone goes the afternoon/evening before, or at the crack of dawn. We had a nice, long chat with the wonderful volunteers.

It's the same throughout the Camino. If you want to avoid the crowds, simply adjust your timings. I've walked some of the most crowded parts of the Camino Francès at some of the busiest times of year and gone for hours seeing only a handful of pilgrims. If that. 😊

In Santiago, though, yes there will be a line. But it's so much fun sharing stories that the time goes quickly. Everyone in that line shares a common bond. There's a wonderful sense of, Wow! We did this!

Enjoy!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ahaha, not that was just 'Pour Parler'. I don't care really if I'll have to wait two hours in Santiago.
Thanks John, I will!! :) I can't wait! Still, more than a month to go... 😯
If you show up about 1/2 before they open no 2 hr wait in Santiago. There were only about 25 people in line when they opened and then your day is free.

If you show up about 1/2 before they open no 2 hr wait in Santiago. There were only about 25 people in line when they opened and then your day is free.
Thx for the tip. What time do they open?

€60,-
I think at 0800. If you’re one of the 1st 10 in line you get a free lunch at the Parador which was a nice surprise
Oh.. :) you mean if I'm one of the first ten persons in the queue by 8.00 AM? They'll give you a free lunch? Wow, that's cool, I'll try then. Thanks for the info!

As the title says. Do we need to go to the pilgrim office to register, regardless of having the official credential, which I have bought from this website? Or are we good to go?
Thanks!
I always have both. It would be easy to fill three credentials while walking the Camino. I always need two.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Come first thing in the morning. The office opens at 0800 in the summer months. Alternatively, there is a lull around 17:30 - 19:00 while most of the non-Spanish folks are eating dinner.

The worst times to show up to get a Compostela are:

Mid-to-late morning when the daily new arrivals off the Frances walk into town, and directly to the office around 10:00. They are seeking to get their Compostelas, then make the noon Pilgrim Mass (this year at the Church of San Francisco NOT the Cathedral, due to renovations.)

Immediately after the noon Pilgrim Mass, starting at about 13:00 - 13-15. Between the not yet gone morning surge and the after Mass surge, the line is typically two hours or more, especially during July and August.

The afternoon "pig in the python" is typically gone, or reduced to about a 45-minute wait by about 17:00.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Come first thing in the morning. The office opens at 0800 in the summer months. Alternatively, there is a lull around 17:30 - 19:00 while most of the non-Spanish folks are eating dinner.

The worst times to show up to get a Compostela are:

Mid-to-late morning when the daily new arrivals off the Frances walk into town, and directly to the office around 10:00. They are seeking to get their Compostelas, then make the noon Pilgrim Mass (this year at the Church of San Francisco NOT the Cathedral, due to renovations.)

Immediately after the noon Pilgrim Mass, starting at about 13:00 - 13-15. Between the not yet gone morning surge and the after Mass surge, the line is typically two hours or more, especially during July and August.

The afternoon "pig in the python" is typically gone, or reduced to about a 45-minute wait by about 17:00.

Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for this! :) Yeah, it helps!

Hello! I did the Camino Frances 10 years ago and still have my credential, do I need a new one to do the Primitivo next year? Or can I use the same one? Many thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! I did the Camino Frances 10 years ago and still have my credential, do I need a new one to do the Primitivo next year? Or can I use the same one? Many thanks.
If you received the final Sello/stamp at the Santiago de Compostela Pilgrim Office, which closes that Credencial, then yes, you will need a new one.

If you never received a Compostela or Sello, then you may still use it.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back